Menu

All of the acceptances are great. Truly. But now, reality hit and how am I going to get this kid to her preferred college setting?

Joanne

I worked as a bedside RN in an Surgical ICU for 8 years. I loved it, but it was exhausting, back breaking work. This is the reason I went to graduate school to become a Nurse Practitioner, where the work is not nearly as physical demanding.  Case managers require RN experience but sit behind desk all day.

I would appreciate it if everyone stopped commenting on the nursing aspect of it.

My dd's disability is physical, not emotional or mental. She'd be able to handle the type of nursing she wants to do. She's got over a 4.0, is Student Government President, on the PTSA nominating committee, volunteers in a local elementary school, went on mission trips, camped at a church camp one week every summer for years.

Some of the nursing posts were nearly insulting and, unkind if my dd were reading.

Could you trust the two of us to know about nursing, her abilities, and her suitability?

Teen jobs are quantifyably different, and I am not going to defend those details.

I don't think anyone was insulting. Simply attempting to understand bc there is no such thing as "teen" jobs. Teens work everything from retail (standing behind a cash register) to cooking in fast food restaurants or waitressing to working in a movie theater. It is difficult to understand your assertion that she can't manage any type of summer job.

I don't think anyone was insulting. Simply attempting to understand bc there is no such thing as "teen" jobs. Teens work everything from retail (standing behind a cash register) to cooking in fast food restaurants or waitressing to working in a movie theater. It is difficult to understand your assertion that she can't manage any type of summer job.

I did not say that she could not manage any type of summer job.

She's provided after school care for 2 children for 2 years now.

I don't think anyone was *trying* to be insulting.

I am sorry if what I wrote came off as insulting.

I would not have discussed the skills / physical fitness required for nursing if you had not specifically mentioned disability as a reason for not being able to certain types of work. Obviously I misunderstood.

I do think that regardless of disability status, nursing is something I would never take a single penny of private school loans out for, until it had been practiced, because the drop-out rate, among extremely motivated, intelligent, and strong candidates is just too high. I should have just pointed that out (given that I am in a similar situation to you financially) and I'm sorry for making it sound like she couldn't do it. That is not my belief.

I believe that nursing requires huge trade-offs that cannot be fully comprehended without a practicum. That is really what I ought to have said.

I did not say that she could not manage any type of summer job.

She's provided after school care for 2 children for 2 years now.

I don't think anyone was *trying* to be insulting.

Simple reality is that she is going to be expected to contribute around $2000+ per yr toward her own expected contributions. Your parental contributions will be expected in top of those.

Adding, since I cannot edit the above post:

Everyone in my family who graduated college went to CC first. This includes someone who graduated from Harvard Medical School, as well as two people with doctorates. My suggestions valuing and recommending CC are not intended to be taken as talking down to anyone.

I find it rather disappointing that anyone would take it as an insult (not that you do, Joanne) but I can see how people might given the attitude on many education message boards. As if CC were only a last resort rather than a cost-effective solution.

The fact is that many very bright people attend and thrive at CCs. Nursing is an area where CCs have exactly the same requirements and oversight and reporting as private schools and state flagships.

So I just hope my recommendation for CC was not taken to be condescending. CC is where I come from. And I got into every school I applied to as well--went to a four year, and like many others I know, dropped out to go to CC to save money.

Adding, since I cannot edit the above post:

Everyone in my family who graduated college went to CC first. This includes someone who graduated from Harvard Medical School, as well as two people with doctorates. My suggestions valuing and recommending CC are not intended to be taken as talking down to anyone.

I find it rather disappointing that anyone would take it as an insult (not that you do, Joanne) but I can see how people might given the attitude on many education message boards. As if CC were only a last resort rather than a cost-effective solution.

The fact is that many very bright people attend and thrive at CCs. Nursing is an area where CCs have exactly the same requirements and oversight and reporting as private schools and state flagships.

So I just hope my recommendation for CC was not taken to be condescending. CC is where I come from. And I got into every school I applied to as well--went to a four year, and like many others I know, dropped out to go to CC to save money.

The CC stuff isn't what I am reacting to. It's not her preference, and if she wants to take loans to make 4 year reachable, I get that.

I wish her the best of luck. College is extremely expensive and as I've posted elsewhere, I can't imagine us being able to pay for private, or even public for more than two or three years. :(

I only say this because I think that the refrain that private colleges meet need is somewhat misleading for those of us in the middle-income/low-savings trap.

For us loans at 7 - 12% are not "meeting need".

We will manage and we will pay everything we have, but there is only so much. You are not alone in not having need met.

The CC stuff isn't what I am reacting to. It's not her preference, and if she wants to take loans to make 4 year reachable, I get that.

She wont be able to take the loans. The maximum loan she can take is $5500. On top of that she will most likely be expected to contribute an additional $2000-2500. Then you factor parental contribution.

Binip has given you great advice.

She wont be able to take the loans. The maximum loan she can take is $5500. On top of that she will most likely be expected to contribute an additional $2000-2500. Then you factor parental contribution.

Binip has given you great advice.

Thank you for trying. You must not be understanding my posts as I intend them.

It is possible to take out private loans, yes. Federal loans are capped. The question I am guessing is how to get more aid given their specific situation.

I'd write to the college with the EFC from the other schools and see if you can wrangle some more out of the private schools. It is worth a shot.

Thank you for trying. You must not be understanding my posts as I intend them.

This is how I read it:

Your DD applied to 6 schools, some larger unis (possible safeties) and her favorites, which are smaller and more expensive.  She has merit awards for her top choices but not enough to cover tuition.  You are concerned that, given your financial situation, you will not be able to come up with the difference between COA and merit aid.  You and your DD are both willing to accept the standard student loans which, hopefully, will allow her to attend one of her top choices.  Your DD will experience some disappointment if she has to attend one of the larger safety schools.

---

Everything else aside (intended major, which schools were applied to, etc), the only thing you can do is wait for the financial aid packages to come in.  Compare them and then apply for special circumstances.  You may be able to use one school's financial aid package as leverage against another school and get an increase that way.

((hugs)) to you and your DD.  The time between acceptances and financial aid award notifications is more difficult than awaiting the acceptances. You're no longer asking the "Will the school want me?" questions, but "The school wants me.  I want the school.  What kind of money will I receive?  Need? What if I cannot afford it?  Any of them?"

Try not to second guess your DD's choice in schools.  You both did your best in researching them before she applied and did not enter into anything lightly.  Try to find something to distract you (she has school and activities) while you wait for the financial aid packages.  You will feel better prepared and ready to take on the challenge when you have all of the pertinent information.

You may be able to use one school's financial aid package as leverage against another school and get an increase that way.

The one drawback to this type of scenario is if they increase aid for freshman yr and then drop it back sophomore yr leaving an insurmountable gap.  FA packages are re-evaluated every single yr.  You really need in writing that the increase is for all 4 yrs.

Most aid is offered year by year. However the financial aid office will help more once the student is there with a good GPA, because drop-outs "cost" them in their ranking more than non-acceptances do. Once you get there there are departmental fellowships, etc.

So even if you have to ask for more money for year one, you can go right to financial aid at the end of your first quarter and say, "I am going to need more help next year, so tell me which scholarships I should be applying for." Go to the head of the department as well. There may be fellowships.

Once you are there, they want to keep you.

Students are allowed to increase their limit if their parents are not approved for parental loans. Other than that, I would assume someone has been willing to co-sign.

By how much? I was unaware of this. And what is the process? Is there some sort of "proof" required to demonstrate that the parent did apply and was denied? Always good to learn something new.

By how much? I was unaware of this. And what is the process? Is there some sort of "proof" required to demonstrate that the parent did apply and was denied? Always good to learn something new.

By 2K per year (at least for the first two years) and yes, you need proof you applied and were denied.  BTDT with oldest who started college while the economy was still down in the dumps.

I think the amt is an additional $5000. I think the process is completed through the university. I googled for specifics (I have only read about it :) ) and found most of the info was given in terms of additional applications through individual universities. This article discusses $5000 near the end as part of "as if parents were denied plus loans" http://chronicle.com/article/The-Parent-Plus-Trap/134844

If a dependent student's parent is denied a Federal Parent PLUS loan, the student becomes eligible for increased unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan limits, the same loan limits that are available to independent students. These loan limits are $4,000 higher during each of the freshman and sophomore years and $5,000 higher during each of the junior and senior years. The cumulative limits are $26,500 higher. However, if either parent subsequently qualifies for a Federal Parent PLUS loan, subsequent disbursements of the student's unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans will be based on the regular loan limits for dependent students. (Loan amounts already received under the additional unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan limits will not count against the lower loan limits.)

From here: https://www.edvisors.com/college-loans/federal/parent-plus/introduction-to-federal-parent-plus-loans/

If a dependent student's parent is denied a Federal Parent PLUS loan, the student becomes eligible for increased unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan limits, the same loan limits that are available to independent students. These loan limits are $4,000 higher during each of the freshman and sophomore years and $5,000 higher during each of the junior and senior years. The cumulative limits are $26,500 higher. However, if either parent subsequently qualifies for a Federal Parent PLUS loan, subsequent disbursements of the student's unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans will be based on the regular loan limits for dependent students. (Loan amounts already received under the additional unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan limits will not count against the lower loan limits.)

From here: https://www.edvisors.com/college-loans/federal/parent-plus/introduction-to-federal-parent-plus-loans/

True - now that I think back on those years, we only needed 2K.  This is probably why we were told oldest could get an additional 2k.  Or, it's entirely possible the amounts have changed since 2010.

Just a couple of things...

When I graduated with my nursing degree back in the day :-), I was able to participate in a loan repayment program with a government agency.  I went to a geographical area where nurses were needed for 2 years, and in return, my loans were repaid by the agency (in addition to receiving a normal salary.)  Here is a link to one such program:  http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/

As far as the small school/large school, that was a major concern for my daughter as well, who was raised in a small town, mostly homeschooled, introverted, and has a chronic health condition.  In the end, the best program for her major was at a large university.  She was crying as I dropped her off, but turns out, it really was not so difficult to find her niche there.  Just sharing this as an encouragement, in case your daughter ends up at the large school.

When your EFC is not affordable, the choice is to look for high merit aid schools or accept that at least the EFC amount will be in loans (the part that's unaffordable anyway).

It does not take all that much to have an EFC of 35K.  For some, this is affordable, and if so, those schools that are good at meeting need can still be good choices if one likes the school.  

However, there are also schools that cost less than 35K - many state schools (if the student is in state) fit this category.  They are worth a look.  Then there are high merit aid schools like U Alabama if the student has the stats for them.  Schools like Nova Southeastern provide good merit aid for not-so-high stats.  And many schools offer basic merit aid awards (up to 20K or sometimes even higher) for students in their top 25% of stats.  This can price these schools less than that 35K.

When I talk with parents about financial aid the first thing I tell them is to go online and put their details in to a financial aid calculator (only FREE sites - like those with .gov) and get their EFC.  See if that is affordable.  If so, there are many schools that can be considered.  If not, then look for the merit aid or state school bargains.

And once one has names of colleges that one likes - run the Net Price Calculator to get an even better estimate.

Then apply to more than one that fit the student AND the finances.  Try not to fall in love with any one college.  (My youngest did that anyway and it worked, but... his plan B was to take a gap year if the finances hadn't worked out.)

We are fortunate that we can pay our EFC without loans.  It taps into our budget significantly (between 33 and 50% pending which month) since we pay it out of our budget rather than college savings (which we lost in the downturn), but we are willing and able to put it into our budget.  I completely understand those who can't do so.

EFC is annually or total?  35k???  Wow, I am not complaining about my EFC again, lol.   I have not looked into financial stuff like I should.  We are hoping for a college where the need based aid is high.  It is why we are looking at private schools rather than state.  I think dd will have fairly high stats and hit need based aid for those schools too.  Still, I need to read more and understand how it all works.  She was right at the National Merit cut off this year as a 10th grader so that may come into play next year when it counts.  She doesn't want to go to any of the schools offering free rides for National Merit but it will be worth picking one and listing it as a back up plan, I suppose. 

It overwhelms me, honestly.  I am in over my head with all of this college stuff :/  DD will skip college rather than go into significant debt.  We can't take on the debt either. 

EFC is annually or total?  35k???  Wow, I am not complaining about my EFC again, lol.   I have not looked into financial stuff like I should.  We are hoping for a college where the need based aid is high.  It is why we are looking at private schools rather than state.  I think dd will have fairly high stats and hit need based aid for those schools too.  Still, I need to read more and understand how it all works.  She was right at the National Merit cut off this year as a 10th grader so that may come into play next year when it counts.  She doesn't want to go to any of the schools offering free rides for National Merit but it will be worth picking one and listing it as a back up plan, I suppose. 

It overwhelms me, honestly.  I am in over my head with all of this college stuff :/  DD will skip college rather than go into significant debt.  We can't take on the debt either. 

EFC is annual and will change as income changes (if it changes).  Ours has changed a bit with the economy, but our income is dependent upon hubby's business and that has varied from the economic downturn years to normal years.

I've seen EFCs from 0 to > 70K - it all depends upon income and investments - and if one is headed to a CSS Profile school, more is looked at including your primary dwelling and cars.

High stats will help a TON with the 100% need based aid schools for admission.  They are very popular - in part - because they offer such good aid.  Many Top 50 schools will cost a low-EFC family less to attend college than their local state school - sometimes less than community college (esp if EFC is 0).

For those with an EFC > 70K, their option is to be full pay at top schools (if they get in) that don't offer merit aid, find schools that do offer significant merit aid, or look for less expensive full pay options.  

We had a young lady recently who had tippy top stats and ECs.  She got accepted to Stanford and would have loved going there.  However, she also had multiple free rides (totally free education including some summer perks) and chose Wake Forest instead (U Miami was her second choice financially).  It saved her parents a ton and she absolutely loves her choice.  Another student/family might have opted for Stanford if they could afford it.  Choices here all depend upon the individuals and I don't judge.

My own middle son had tippy top stats and could have had a guaranteed free ride at multiple schools at a lower level than Top 200 or so (we didn't think to try U Miami and he didn't like Wake - those are competitive, so who knows how he'd have fared?).  We opted to not go for lower level free rides as I knew he was more suited for a challenging (to him) college.  We are paying our EFC and he has basic student loans for the privilege.  I still feel it's worth it - as does he (after talking with a friend who chose one of those free ride schools).  Again, it's all up to the individual.  All I try to do (IRL with my position at school) is to provide suggestions of places to try based upon what the family's EFC, abilities, and desires.

I lurk on here (and college confidential) to find other schools to consider/suggest as I hear of them.  No one person can know all 3000+ schools!  Even little gems for merit aid like Nova Southeastern (FL) we just discovered last year.  I took info about them to our guidance office.

I can tell you that around here, if one is looking for need based aid, Dickinson, Gettysburg, and Franklin & Marshall are worthy of applications.  Juniata and Muhlenberg can be, but probably more likely for those from further away than we are.

There are quite a few that offer basic merit aid (that can get the full pay costs down to half) even for modest stats.

I honestly thought the same for my DD. I couldn't imagine her at a big school. She likes the anonymity. She's found a quiet little nook (her "owl's nest") in a building to study. It's been a pretty decent fit for her. (She'd still prefer a school that matches her beliefs better.)

Big schools tend to have a lot of small, cozy groups she can get involved in.

Just a comforting thought if nothing else works out.

I was impressed with Regis University, a small Jesuit college in Denver.  They have an emphasis on the health care field, and pretty generous financial aid.  Additionally, they have a guarantee that if students pick one major and stay on track with it but fail to finish in 4 years, additional coursework toward their major is tuition-free.