Menu

Does this art program exist?

Wabi Sabi

I am looking for something that will teach my children HOW to draw, paint, do printmaking, etc., something that teaches the specific skills and technique. 

I'm not looking for art appreciation, artist studies or art history. We've got that more than covered already. I'm not looking for craft projects either.

We've tried art classes a couple of times and my son was always disappointed. The classes pretty much gave the kids free reign to create whatever they wanted with the supplies available, but what he was really hoping for was direct, specific instruction on how to draw in a realistic manner, lessons on shading, composition, perspective, and other techniques, how to mix paints, how to use different art materials,  how to make make prints, etc. 

I would prefer something on video (DVD, YouTube, streaming, whatever I can find!) although I'm open to books or other suggestions. I keep looking and looking, but nothing I find is quite right. Everything is too cartoony or more crafty than what we're hoping to find (not that I have anything against cartoons or craft projects, it's just simply not what we're looking for at the moment.) 

Any suggestions? 

Atelier Art might be something you're looking for. It does have a little art appreciation, but it mostly focuses on making a piece of art that looks like the picture. Meet the Masters is similar, but with more art history. Mark Kistler has an online site that teaches drawing. It's a bit cartoony, I think, but maybe worth a look. 

I have a DVD called Coloring with Block Crayons that teaches exactly that, what edges to use, etc. For painting, there's always the Bob Ross videos on YouTube (with his happy little trees!) 

For drawing, maybe start with either Drawing With Children by Mona Brookes or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  They're not DVD though.

For things like printmaking, sculpting, whatever, try asking at your local artist supply store, and see if they do classes for children or know where to find *good* ones. 

Atelier Art might be something you're looking for. It does have a little art appreciation, but it mostly focuses on making a piece of art that looks like the picture. Meet the Masters is similar, but with more art history. Mark Kistler has an online site that teaches drawing. It's a bit cartoony, I think, but maybe worth a look.

I have a DVD called Coloring with Block Crayons that teaches exactly that, what edges to use, etc. For painting, there's always the Bob Ross videos on YouTube (with his happy little trees!)

I second the recommendation to take a look at Atelier.

We tried Mark Kistler's Draw Squad book and I saw real improvement with my kids while we stuck with it. The pictures are cartoon-y but the instruction is real. I got a subscription to the online tutorials through HSBC and it was the same principles but live! and would probably have been good but I had trouble scheduling it.

Atelier came out with an online version, and I wonder if they might have sample videos there. I unfortunately cannot find that website. Maybe someone else can link it or you could contact them. If you do buy the program, it is cheaper to buy it at Rainbow Resource than directly from their website.

I can't find anything on their website about an online version either, although I have seen it mentioned on other posts on these forums. How odd that it's so hard to find!

Examples galore for level 1. :) We didn't finish the last module. We switched to Home Art Studio. DD and I have been enjoying it more. The projects allow a little more creativity. (And, we don't have to worry about a slip of a black permanent marker ruining the projects. Way too much use of the black marker in Atelier, IMO. Created stress for us. The over-sized paper was challenging for DD as well. Hard to draw so large with little hands and arms.)

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Atelier%20Art%20-%20Level%201

I didn't notice what grade you're looking for, but I wouldn't say Atelier is what you want. I have no experience with any level beside the first, but I think the setup is generally the same. It does not provide an incremental approach to drawing in a realistic fashion.

Have you looked into Mark Kistler? I have no experience with his program, but it's popping into mind.

I'm just so hesitant to spend the money on Atelier without seeing any examples! I wish there was a sample lesson on their website. Seems so odd to me that they don't have a single short video sample anywhere to be found...

Examples galore for level 1. :) We didn't finish the last module. We switched to Home Art Studio. DD and I have been enjoying it more. The projects allow a little more creativity. (And, we don't have to worry about a slip of a black permanent marker ruining the projects. Way too much use of the black marker in Atelier, IMO. Created stress for us. The over-sized paper was challenging for DD as well. Hard to draw so large with little hands and arms.)

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Atelier%20Art%20-%20Level%201

I didn't notice what grade you're looking for, but I wouldn't say Atelier is what you want. I have no experience with any level beside the first, but I think the setup is generally the same. It does not provide an incremental approach to drawing in a realistic fashion.

Have you looked into Mark Kistler? I have no experience with his program, but it's popping into mind.

Pitterpatter --

My girls and I enjoyed seeing your daughter's beautiful art projects. We LOVE "Dog and Cats" and "Potato Head Family."

I should have waited to check out your blog until my girls were asleep, LOL. Now they are putting me on a guilt trip about not doing enough art. ;)

Your daughter is absolutely adorable. That grin is priceless! :D

We also use thevirtualinstructor.com.  The instruction is top quality, and a subscription is only 37.00 per year.  There is also a lot of free content on the site and his youtube channel.  

Speaking of YouTube, there are wonderful instructional videos on every art medium.  I teach an art class to a group of Jr High/High School kids each week, and have have successfully integrated many YouTube instructional videos into the curriculum.    I embed the videos into a private blog that has been created for the class, so that the children are not subjected to the sometimes inappropriate images on the sidebar.    

This guy's (award winning illustrator, Shoo Rayner) YouTube channel is fun for younger kids 

I also love this book for daily sketching - How to Draw Cool Stuff by Catherine V Holmes http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Cool-Stuff-Teachers/dp/0615991424

Mark Kistler's Draw 3D teaches some basics about drawing various shapes. My boys love his videos. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/mark-kistler-online/?source=107740

Here's a link to his Virtual Clasroom program. We haven't used it. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/mark-kistler-live/?source=107740

u

Mark Kistler is offering free classes this coming week Feb. 9-Feb. 13. Go to his website for details.

This is proabably not what you are looking for, but thought I would mention it just in case.  I recently discovered these books, sorry not videos.  These are more college level, and be warned some have nudity.  Andrew Loomis was a fantastic artist and teacher and many of his books are available for free online.  You might want to check them out, but make sure you preview the content first as some is most likely not appropriate until highschool or college.  Here is a link to a list of his books on goodreads, several of them are available as a free pdf, others you have to purchase the book. 

Mark Kistler's Draw 3D is awesome!! My kiddos have been using it since September and the drawings they have been turning out are amazing. He does a great job of breaking the drawing process down into manageable pieces. I have kids 6, 9, 12, & 14 using it and they all love it, even the not as artsy ones.

There is an Australian program called Artventure. It's completely online. It's designed for classroom use but lots of homeschoolers are using it. She (the teacher) goes through step by step how to do art. From getting the materials out to putting them away. It does take some pausing and starting, but the kids get great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk