Menu

For LLmom, s/o - "too old"

Joanne

LLmom,

I went back to school at over 40 years old. I am nearly 49 and considering my Ph D options.

I found that returning to school at middle aged was a joy. I am a natural student, though, so I admit that.

My kids were all in their double digits, and I loved sitting at the table *with* them, all doing schoolwork!

I liked having something - finally - that was MINE and for ME. Even though it was for a needed career (I will, be working until I can't due to the way my life played out), I am glad I invested in a career that fits and suits me. It is not easy, or "well paying" and most people in it have more than one income producing gig. But it speaks to my heart and uses my brain.

I am only 3 or so years into building that career post graduation, and, even with massive student loan debt, I have no regrets.

It helped that my graudate school was designed for careered, working people and I wasn't age conspicuous. It helped that at the time I started, I had a well, and encouraging spouse.

I never knew that I was smart or what I could DO until the last 10 years. Yes, I am starting over, but it is with the wisdom that matches my age.

You, absolutely not "too late" or "too old."

Totally agreeing. When I am studying something now, I am more focused because I evaluated my path; I know where I am going.

My continuing education is also in the field where I love to work and having a clear goal makes it rewarding. I thrive on learning

which contributes to my enjoyment beyond mere information gathering. Whereas before parents more or less pointed me in the direction of college, I now know where I am going and why I am studying.

I'm knocking on the door of 40.  I started my first semester at college yesterday, as a freshman :)  My whole outlook on school, and my motivation to do it has changed a lot since I was the 18 year old that just quit going to my college classes.  Sitting at school yesterday, I realized that I have such an advantage over the kids surrounding me in the classrooms:  I WANT to be there, and I realize how lucky I am to be able to be there.  

I too, have pretty much stayed home with my kids for the past 18 years (with a few exceptions working as a receptionist or at a bank for short periods).  I have no degree and I'm looking at a future in which my dh may not be able to work until retirement.

It was scary to consider stepping back out there, but dh's aunt really encouraged me.  She went back to school at 52.  She was lamenting to a friend about being too old to go back, and was unsure if she should since she would be 56 when she graduated.  Her friend looked at her and said "So what? If you don't do it, you will STILL be 56 in four years. If you do, you'll be 56 with a degree!"  

I was in college at age 42. While I didn't graduate, I enjoyed every minute of it. I was in classes with young 20-year olds and they were very accepting of me. They treated me like one of them instead of someone their mom's age. I found classes easy because after all these years of previous  college and homeschooling, I knew how to study well. In fact, I helped some of my classmates with studying as well.

I started college at 46 after being thrust into single parenthood unexpectedly. As for career options, I'm studying something I love and working to keep options open as I will be 50 when I graduate. 

Some issues I considered were what jobs I could get in the area, what jobs might require me to relocate. What is my physical health? I have a few limitations, and what might they be down the road? What careers require short term training or what careers might require an M.A. or above to be successful. 

I am a much better student at 40+ than I would have been at 18. Even if I don't attempt a master's, and I retire when I'm 65, that will give me 15 years for a career. That's 15 years I won't have working retail as my only option. 

LLmom,

I went back to school at over 40 years old. I am nearly 49 and considering my Ph D options.

I found that returning to school at middle aged was a joy. I am a natural student, though, so I admit that.

My kids were all in their double digits, and I loved sitting at the table *with* them, all doing schoolwork!

I liked having something - finally - that was MINE and for ME. Even though it was for a needed career (I will, be working until I can't due to the way my life played out), I am glad I invested in a career that fits and suits me. It is not easy, or "well paying" and most people in it have more than one income producing gig. But it speaks to my heart and uses my brain.

I am only 3 or so years into building that career post graduation, and, even with massive student loan debt, I have no regrets.

It helped that my graudate school was designed for careered, working people and I wasn't age conspicuous. It helped that at the time I started, I had a well, and encouraging spouse.

I never knew that I was smart or what I could DO until the last 10 years. Yes, I am starting over, but it is with the wisdom that matches my age.

Very encouraging!

Thank you Joanne,

I've taken some classes here and there, with interruptions for grandbabies.   I'm not even close to finishing.  But, for me going back to school was hard.  At least  some of the classes...particularly math.   I was never a really good student... but I found that trying to remember math concepts I learned at the beginning of the semester would not stick through to the end of the semester.  I did pass the class (yay!), but I was sweating bullets.

I think I"d be better at classes geared towards liberal arts... I still remember minor details about history/literature and philosophy that I learn.  It's those things that get me very excited.  But jobs are few and far between for a philosophy degree. 

I like this.

It's my dream to attend Harvard for my Master's degree. I had been thinking in about 8-10 years, when my kids are older, my husband's career has settled down a little bit, and my business could run while I was attending classes.

I had been feeling discouraged, thinking about how much older I'll be than most of my classmates, but your post helped me look at things in a different light. I'm excited to continue working on putting myself in the position as the 'perfect Harvard candidate' again. :)

My mom is considering going back to school at the tender age of 56 (though she'll be 57 or so when she starts). She got her inspiration from me who is about to start college round 3 in May (round 1 I just wasn't ready, fresh from high school, round 2 I graduated with a certificate but that certificate means nothing really since most places do on the job training). You are never "too old".

I really want to be a pharmacist (my certificate is for a pharmacy technician) but I just don't have the time and cash flow to do that so I'm going for nursing. To be a pharmacist we would have to move, find dh another job (highly doubt he could get one as good as he has now), up root the girls and lots of other costly things let alone the time (at least 8 years) I would need get it.

With nursing we don't have to move, it's a total of 3 years including the prereqs (I might be able to get out of some of those), and quite frankly a whole lot cheaper. Also with nursing I can start out as ADN RN (associates degree registered nurse), work and get my bsn (4 yr RN degree), and if I want go for CNM (certified nurse midwife) or FNP (family nurse practitioner) after the BSN.

I went back to school at 34 to expand my options. My partner just went back at 38 because his field is too tumultuous.

The average age at the college where I work is over 30. Not the maximum, the average. The maximum is, well, let me just say older than my grandmother, and she has great-grandchildren.

Older students have a ton to contribute and aren't as rare as they might think. I plan to continue studying my whole life. :)

Best of luck to all the students and would-be students on this board!

But how do you decide if it is worth it?  I have a teaching degree...  My youngest is 8th grade.  With my husband's health problems I am not sure what the future holds.5 We may be retiring and traveling very soon.... or not...( is he able?)

I've been eyeing getting a seminary master's degree in worship....  It would take me 2 years if I did it full time... ( Not sure if that is possible with homeschooling 1)  But then I've paid thousands of dollars so I can ......do what?  Travel with my husband?  Just be better trained to be doing what I am doing now at church ( but not paid).  I like our church.  I wouldn't want to change.  But if it grows like I think it might, I could be assistant worship minister possibly...  ( Once again, wouldn't make much....)  But then hubby may be ready to travel....  Or, I will probably be battling breast cancer like my mom and my grandma. ( They both had it in their early   50"s.)  Or one of our parents will need me to take care of them....

It almost feels like, why bother?

I've come to see that learning (formal and institutionalized or not) is worth it if the person wants to - regardless of future context.

So, I'd worthy of pursuing the Ph D even if I won't realize a salary increase or "use it" in settings I am already in.

But how do you decide if it is worth it? I have a teaching degree... My youngest is 8th grade. With my husband's health problems I am not sure what the future holds.5 We may be retiring and traveling very soon.... or not...( is he able?)

I've been eyeing getting a seminary master's degree in worship.... It would take me 2 years if I did it full time... ( Not sure if that is possible with homeschooling 1) But then I've paid thousands of dollars so I can ......do what? Travel with my husband? Just be better trained to be doing what I am doing now at church ( but not paid). I like our church. I wouldn't want to change. But if it grows like I think it might, I could be assistant worship minister possibly... ( Once again, wouldn't make much....) But then hubby may be ready to travel.... Or, I will probably be battling breast cancer like my mom and my grandma. ( They both had it in their early 50"s.) Or one of our parents will need me to take care of them....

It almost feels like, why bother?

Bother because you enjoy the journey.

I plan on going back to school when my daughter graduates, which will be spring of 2016 and I will be 49. I already have a degree, but I really have no interest in pursuing anything in that field. I'm just going to start taking a couple classes that DO interest me, which are biology and math. I would also like to take chemistry, just because I never have. What do I plan to do with this schooling? What I would like to do is tutor math. I have done that informally and really enjoy it. The thing about life, though, is it doesn't always happen as planned. At least mine so far hasn't. :) So I'm trying to enjoy the journey and be open to change. Sometimes there is no other option than accepting change, but you don't need to worry about that now. I know someone who is so resistant to change that they fight every little change that comes along, even insignificant things. It creates problems in their life.

Make good decisions, enjoy the journey, and realize that there is no way to predict the future, so don't overanalyze every decision. And I say this as a personality who likes to have a detailed plan and is pretty good at overanalysis. :) I just don't think it's a healthy or productive way to live.

Very inspiring stories, I love to hear them!  DH is 50 and needs to go back to school in hopes of getting a tech job.  I intentionally left school after a couple of semesters so we could start a family - I definitely wanted to SAHM.  I fully intend to go back after both girls graduate, and I will be about 45 then.  I've always been a medical nerd, so I'll go for some kind of auxiliary career.

I just got accepted to University this year..I'm 40. I'm doing a B.Ed. I was looking at my class list yesterday and at least half the class has a "Mrs" in front of their name.

My stepfather just graduated from college...he is in his 50's. Higher education is so much more accessible these days that many older people are taking advantage of it.

Back when I graduated high school I was never able to go because I had to work a full time job and the Unis didn't have flexible options like online or nightschool. Now they do...which means working people can now complete a degree fully online .. and so can mums who still want to be at home with their kids.

It is not abnormal at all to see older people...particularly women starting out a degree once their children are grown.

LLmom,

Exactly the way I feel about going to school late in life, Joanne. Much congrats to you for your accomplishments and best wishes for you future as well.

I keep a C.S. Lewis quote by my mirror that I put up there when I started college at 38. It says, "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." 

I turned 40 last summer...and started my first semester of Medical School in the Fall.

This had been my dream forever. At 40, and in a position of being able to go back to university, I wasn't going to settle for any compromise.

It is tough, much more so than I had anticipated, but so, so much more rewarding than I had expected, too!!!

Most importantly, through all the toughness, this feels so much mine, that I selfishly enjoy every moment of it...

For my fellow students - yes, I could (almost) be mom to most of them, barely older than my oldest...but, really, it doesn't matter. We are all just the same, trying to find our way, figure out how it works, listen, learn, ...and dream, too! I sometimes wonder whether these "kids" will think back of me, when they are 40, and realize the full enormity of embarking on this journey at this age...and four kids in tow...

The pride I feel, easily sets off the price I pay - and then some!

I am 51 and starting my 4th semester ( have a previous BA but it was 29 years ago). I love it! The 'kids' in my classes don't treat me like their mom, I'm just a regular student and that's cool. I enjoy them immensely. I'm doing what I enjoy this time instead of what I think might get  me a job and it makes a huge difference. I"d love to go to law school. I intended to do that before, but after a double major, I was wiped and decided to take a year off. Life happened and that break became permanent. You are never too old :)

My mom is considering going back to school at the tender age of 56 (though she'll be 57 or so when she starts). She got her inspiration from me who is about to start college round 3 in May (round 1 I just wasn't ready, fresh from high school, round 2 I graduated with a certificate but that certificate means nothing really since most places do on the job training). You are never "too old".

I really want to be a pharmacist (my certificate is for a pharmacy technician) but I just don't have the time and cash flow to do that so I'm going for nursing. To be a pharmacist we would have to move, find dh another job (highly doubt he could get one as good as he has now), up root the girls and lots of other costly things let alone the time (at least 8 years) I would need get it.

With nursing we don't have to move, it's a total of 3 years including the prereqs (I might be able to get out of some of those), and quite frankly a whole lot cheaper. Also with nursing I can start out as ADN RN (associates degree registered nurse), work and get my bsn (4 yr RN degree), and if I want go for CNM (certified nurse midwife) or FNP (family nurse practitioner) after the BSN.

Honestly, I bet you are better off not to be a pharmacist. Big corporations are demanding that pharmacists fill up to or more than 200 prescriptions a day. It is very stressful. I have a friend back in Oregon whose husband is a pharmacist and he was miserable. Every day he hoped to get enough work done to keep his job, and not to kill anybody with a mistake. He has made a mistake that almost killed a dog, but he filled the prescription the way it was written, but he was too busy to see the dosage was too big for a dog. The vet blamed him though, the vet said that the pharmacist should have caught the mistake. It is very sad. 

Yeah, we just cut his salary by half...  So I'm not sure.  We'll be paying for two in college next year, though it is all saved in 529 plans...   I just don't want to make a silly financial decision.

Can you take one class at a time?

Also, not doing it now is not the same as not doing it. :)