Menu

Freezing in Ball jars--does anyone do this successfully?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I need to start making more broth and stock for storage, and I know lots of people freeze in Ball jars. However, my first experiment with this didn't go well--I left headroom and waited to tighten the lids until (I thought) they were frozen solid, but then after I did tighten the lids, the jars shattered. Thankfully there was no glass mess because they didn't explode, but I had to throw away four brand new quart jars and a gallon of beautiful chicken stock  :crying:

I assumed that I just tightened the lids too soon, and I had DH pick me up a dozen new quart jars. When he brought them home to me, he pointed out that the side of the package says that the quart jars are not freezer safe. I didn't think any glass jars were actually freezer safe, so I didn't even think about looking for that kind of information.

Am I not ever going to be able to freeze these jars, no matter how careful I am? I don't want to deal with a million small jars in my deep freeze, and I really don't want to use plastic. Or do people successfully freeze the quart jars, just really, REALLY carefully? If you freeze stock in something else, what do you use?

TIA!

I had similar experiences as you. I leave a lot of headroom now and don't tighten the lids beyond just making sure they don't fall off. You could also try these lids and see if they make a difference since they do not seal as tightly as the usual mason jar lids.

http://www.goodmans.net/i/457/ball-37010-wide-mouth-canning-jar-plastic-storage.htm?sc=GOOGLEBASE&k=BL-37010&utm_source=GOOGLEBASE&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=BL-37010&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=CIHlnLT09cICFchr7AodCkIAtg

ETA: I do freeze chicken stock in some larger plastic containers but have currently a lot of tomato sauce frozen in Ball / Kerr jars.

??? Why ??? Glass is very brittle when cold, and messing around with expanding liquids would be a pain.

I freeze my stock in Ziplock Freezer bags. Yes, it is plastic, but you can remove all of the air and don't need to worry about expansion or broken glass. You can also store them flat, which means that you save a lot of space in your freezer.

Also, you don't have to fully defrost in Ziploc--we just place it in very slightly warm water then it slides out into a larger tray for defrosting or microwaving. So you don't have to worry too much about leach.

That said, I freeze jars and just leave a ton of head room.

I'm sorry you lost all that stock. :(

I've always freezed in ball jars and never had a problem. I just wait until the liquid is room temp then cap and put in the deep freezer. I've never had one break, though I use the cheap canning lids, maybe they allow enough give that pressure isn't a problem? I also freeze in glass rubbermaids all the time without issue.

I've always freezed in ball jars and never had a problem. I just wait until the liquid is room temp then cap and put in the deep freezer. I've never had one break, though I use the cheap canning lids, maybe they allow enough give that pressure isn't a problem? I also freeze in glass rubbermaids all the time without issue.

This is exactly how I do it as well and I have never had a jar break (yet).

I use glass jars, including Ball jars, all the time to freeze liquids, usually broth.  I leave some room, let them cool to room temperature, then stick them in the fridge overnight before transferring to the freezer. I've never had one break.  I usually use the wide-mouth pint-sized jars and I reuse the canning tops and rings since I don't need them to seal. I've never had a jar break.

My understanding is that it's the temperature changes that people are worried can leech bad stuff from the plastic to the food. If you freeze in plastic bags, you can thaw them just briefly and then literally peel the plastic right off and warm the stock or soup or whatever in a pot or in a microwave safe container that will hold it.

I regularly freeze stuff in the half-pint, straight-sided jars with the plastic screw-on lids--no problems. This size is perfect for pizza sauce for our family--I don't fill it all the way full and it's enough for the two pizzas my dough recipe makes.  I just take a jar out of the freezer every week on pizza day. I have also read that the curving jars aren't good for freezing.

I sometimes freeze tomato sauce and leftover soups in glass jars and have never had any break, though I use ziplock bags more frequently. We have a tiny freezer so the ziplocks make more sense for storing flat. I also find them more convenient for things like tomato or ancho paste, where I might just need to break off a small portion rather than defrost an entire jar.

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I guess it must have been the shoulders that were the problem :( I can return the new 32 oz jars tomorrow, and in the meantime, I discovered that our Target has 24 oz jars that are straight sided and freezer safe, and they cost just a tiny bit more per jar than the quart-sized. Those should do the job (along with the headroom and loose lids). 

I have actually frozen in glass Pyrex bowls until now, and I've never had any problem with those, but we use those bowls for so many other things, and they cost way more than the Ball jars do. Hopefully now I'll be able to get some broth tucked away so I don't get caught without and need to buy pre-made. Even organic stocks and broths have weird things in them these days! I literally could not find a beef broth in the store a few weeks ago that didn't have either "natural flavors" or caramel coloring in it, and that's one of the colors that my youngest often reacts to.

Thanks for the advice, all. There will be some major stock stewing here this weekend :lol: