Menu

Learn Something New Everyday

DragonFaerie

Okay, Hive, I need your help.  One of my goals for 2015 is to learn something new everyday.  Now, I need to figure out how to do that.  I don't have time to do, say, a math lesson or read a history article or what have you every day.  So what can I do to learn something new everyday that wouldn't take more than maybe 10 minutes or so?

There used to be a website that was something like Study Island but not.  I was for any age, and what it did was it would give you a bit of information each day.  For example, it might tell you, Thomas Jefferson was the 3rd president of the United States."  Then the next day, it would tell you something else.  And then it would quiz you on those tidbits, so you could spend 5 or 10 minutes each day getting your new information and testing your recollection of previous information.  But I cannot for the life of me remember the site.  Any idea what I'm talking about?  Any suggestions for something similar?

TIA!

There are calendars with a page per day, for different topics. Maybe this would work for you?

Here's what I mean:

http://www.amazon.com/2015-This-History-Boxed-Calendar/dp/1402298854/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419814124&sr=1-7&keywords=daily+calendar

Or you could get a few interesting magazines and resolve to spend ten minutes per day reading one or two articles. The Economist, National geographic, Scientific American... this kind of stuff

Ask yourself a question you cannot answer, something you may have always wondered about, heard about somewhere, read in a book or such, then try to find the answer to that question.  If finding or understanding the answer takes more than 10 minutes, come back to it the next day.

The weather network page often has little quizzes with links to the answer, that would be one place.  It also has bizarre headlines to follow up on, like, "Sea creature thought to be extinct for millions of years found washed up on Australian beach" and then you can go learn about that, too.

I do dictionary.com for a new word daily. Some words I know but it's always fun to see word derivations. I also read tellmewhy.com and listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class podcasts.

I just found TellMeWhy tonight.  I also found Zidbits which seems to be similar.  I guess what I'll do is just read something from those sites every day.  Not sure that's really "learning" whatever I read, but it's better than nothing.  I'm really bummed that I can't find that one website again.

Get a bathroom book that has single page articles. This won't be deep, but it'll be information. I have the Economist in my bathroom. A bit deeper, but still not that deep.

A route I like is joining a book club on a subject that is interesting to me. Then I have to read books and discuss them. I actually do some research.

Is BrainPop too simple? My kids love watching the video of the day, and I've learned interesting facts from many of them. I like the variety of topics.

I'm reviewing my math skills on Khan academy. I just started, so I can't accurately tell you that would always fit into 10 minutes. But if it does take longer you could probably stop when you need to and resume the next day, and so on until you finish.

I just listen to NPR for a while every day. Either in the car, or in the kitchen while doing dishes or folding laundry. I learn tons of new things. 

In Australia, I listen to ABC's Radio National.

A friend calls it 'cut your throat radio', she'd prefer to cut her throat than listen.

However I enjoy listening to conversations and panel discussions from experts on a HUGE range of topics through the day.

At the moment they are recycling for summer so mostly repeats.

I find I learn daily through home education.

My eldest went to school for a while 10 years ago and after going through withdrawal I ended up enrolling in Open University.

I'm back to home educating child and mother now. :)

Maybe add some biographies to your personal reading pile if they aren't already there.

I got that today.

Amanda Vanstone discussing 'compassion'.

Never, never in the same sentence.

Sorry to keep derailing the thread, but I have to weep publicly about this.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :svengo:  :svengo:  :crying:  :crying:   :boxing_smiley:   :zombiechase:

I don't think that counts because you knew that already, right?  :tongue_smilie:

:lol:   Pretty much.  I think that's why I was hoping to find that website.  I think I would do much better keeping up with online "training" rather than just looking for some random thing to learn.  But thanks for checking in on me!