Menu

Power out 11 hours...what would would you keep?

sbgrace

Freezer stuff is fine, the fridge stuff would have been above room temp for too long.

I know salted butter, hard cheeses, fruit/veggies, and things with vinegar are ok.

I threw out the meat, soft cheeses, leftovers and similar obvious stuff.

I am seeing differing opinions on:

1. eggs

2. Yogurt (I have a lot of greek yogurt in there...)

3. milk

4. orange juice

5. dijon mustard

6. apple butter

7. other jelly/jam

WWYD?

Mustard and jelly I'd keep for sure. Mustard is very vinegary. Jelly is full of sugar, which surprisingly preserves it. Some folks don't even refrigerate it. Besides, when it does go bad, it molds on top, so you'll be able to tell.

Apple butter, I'd check the flavor. If it seems fine (not fermented at all), I'd keep it. It's almost certainly fine.

Orange juice, yogurt, and milk: I'd smell. You know when they've gone bad. The juice will taste fermented, the yogurt will smell bad, and the milk, well, we all know what spoiled milk smells and tastes like.

When our power goes out, I forbid anyone to open the fridge or freezer, and this keeps the temperature cold.  I would not likely throw anything out after 11 hours.  When our power was out most of three days, I tossed some things out on the porch where it was freezing so keep them cold. We lost very little, relatively speaking.

1. eggs

Fine. Use them promptly but I wouldn't worry.

2. Yogurt (I have a lot of greek yogurt in there...)

Absolutely fine. You *make* yogurt by keeping it warm. Again, just use them promptly.

3. milk

Probably fine; your nose will let you know. Prompt use again.

4. orange juice

Fine. Prompt, etc.

5. dijon mustard

Fine, and I wouldn't obsess over prompt use.

6. apple butter

No clue.

7. other jelly/jam

11 hours?  If the door as kept shut it should all be fine.  We were three days after the quake and our fridge and freezer survived intact (just... the power turned on just in time to save the whitebait in the freezer). 

You keep eggs in the fridge?  Mine come from coop to bench and sit there until I use them. 

Probably everything would be OK. I would be concerned about the milk.  If the door was kept shut during the outage, the temperature inside the refrigerator portion would take many hours to get up to room temperature. Eggs certainly would not be an issue. We normally do not keep them inside the refrigerator. 

Some years ago, the power company cut power to our rural subdivision a number of different days, over a period of 1 or 2 years, when they were doing infrastructure improvements here. I believe they cut the power about 8 A.M. and it was off until about 6 P.M. and we had no problems during those scheduled outages.