Menu

Has anyone done Spinning Babies?

Desert Strawberry

My baby is transverse at 33 weeks. He's kind of partially head-down, but mostly sideways. It's uncomfortable, but also, not a viable birthing position. I'm trying to get him to turn while there's still time and room. 

I started Spinning Babies Daily Do two days ago. http://spinningbabies.com/more-info/for-pregnancy/daily-activities

Have mercy. EVERYTHING hurts. I am having cramps in every muscle I stretch. My hips are a little unstable and this is loosening them up to the point of pain. I pinched my sciatic nerve last night-which always happens when I'm pregnant, and I got it unpinched, but YOWSA it HURTS. 

I'm older now, and the least active I've ever been in my life. I only just got my energy back. Like I can clean my house and cook real food and be out of bed for the first time in 8 months. I haven't started walking yet because it's raining, but I'm hoping to get out today. 

It is working. Baby's position is more upright. He was actually vertex last night, but this morning, transverse again. His position is more comfortable, too. Less crammed in my sides. When he starts getting ouchie, I go into a standing inversion, and it instantly feels better. 

Has anyone done this? Is it supposed to hurt like this? Will it get better? No where on the site does it talk about pain, only about relief, which I guess, my belly does feel much better, but the rest of me is suffering. D can't even massage me because it just hurts. 

The flipping back and forth is normal in the beginning, too, right? I know they say it can take a few days for a breech for turn fully. I'm just a little concerned that he will continue to fall sideways over and over. 

I just need some reassurance that this will likely work itself all out. 

Here's a 3D Ultrasound picture from Friday for your viewing pleasure :)

Edited title. 

post-23781-0-05125700-1416237849_thumb.jpg

No experience here, but I'm sorry it hurts, and hope that he will get into a better position soon.  I think it's very cool that you have options to try.

Mostly, I just wanted to say - he's beautiful!  What a fabulous picture.  It made me smile this morning, and ... I needed that.  Thank you for sharing it.

So excited for you!

No experience here, but I'm sorry it hurts, and hope that he will get into a better position soon.  I think it's very cool that you have options to try.

Mostly, I just wanted to say - he's beautiful!  What a fabulous picture.  It made me smile this morning, and ... I needed that.  Thank you for sharing it.

So excited for you!

Aw, thank you. 

I'm glad, too. My first was transverse, then posterior. I've done some of this with all of them. I'm very lucky to have stumbled on this knowledge early on. 

He might be a she, we don't know. I'm excited to find out :D

Not transverse but I had a breech.  I literally stood on my head and hung by my knees at the playground.  He didn't budge.  As I was laying on the bed waiting for them to start c-section prep he gave a God awful lurch and headed the right way (thus avoiding the c-section).  I'm sorry you are miserable but there is time for baby to turn.  Even if there is 'no room'.  Oh, turning boy here was 8lb 15oz so not tiny.

The exercises are not comfortable!  But, I would imagine the soreness to be normal muscle soreness from lack of use.  I got this when I first started feeling better at 20 weeks.  My body was not happy to be up and around, even though I was!!  For me, the pelvic tilts offer the most actual relief from soreness everywhere, so maybe do some of those first and last?

And just speculation, but I bet that since baby can go vertex, he'll likely run out of room to go sideways as he gets bigger and as you do more excercises.  Or, at the very latest, labor contractions will show him the right way to exit.  I've had three posterior babies who all turned the right way during labor.  Not exactly the same as transverse, I know, but I think it's a good sign that baby goes vertex sometimes. :)

Good luck!

I did all the spinning baby suggestions including Webster's with my chiro with my 2nd and my 3rd.  My 2nd was positioned perfectly and I ended up with an awesome labor/birth.  However it did not work with my 3rd and I had pretty traumatic birth experience.  Being pregnant with my 4th, I don't believe in the helpfulness of those suggestions anymore.  I think I am used to watching my posture by now and I will be sitting exclusively on my birthing ball later in pregnancy, but I am not paying for any more chiropractic care for positioning.  I honestly think that it makes very little (if any) difference.

I did with my stubborn transverse.  I can't remember exact dates, but he bounced back and forth for a frustrating amount of time before finally settling in (maybe around 36 weeks or so.)  I don't remember it hurting, but I can certainly see how shuffling all those knees and elbows around (nevermind the noggin!) could be quite uncomfortable.

So sorry you are uncomfortable!!  One really good thing is that you know baby can go vertex.  Babies who are persistently breech or transverse, never making attempts to go vertex, typically stay that way.  But a baby who is hanging out breech or transverse and also likes to try other positions from time to time are more likely to go vertex by term.  

Anything you can try for a breech baby, you can do to help turn a transverse.  So yes, Spinning Babies is a GREAT resource!  

Ditto the chiropractor suggestion.