Menu

DH is getting hard to shop for!

JustEm

I'm looking for board game suggestions.  We have an extensive boardgame collection and love adding to it.  We're happy with 2 player games for just the both of us or games for as many people as possible because we have a boardgame night every few months with friends.  Here are some of the  games we have.  I'll bold the ones we absolutely love.  Any suggestions on what to get him to add to our collection?

-Settlers of Catan (several expansions)

-Last Night on Earth (several expansions)

-Ticket to Ride

-32 dice

-Dominion (one expansion)

-Qwarriors (one expansion)

-Kulami

-Quarridor

-Risk

-Scrabble

-Chaos

-Game of Thrones board game

There are more but those are the ones that get played the most frequently.

Do you have Set? My husband and I can't play this one any more; we are too intense, and it is no fun.

Poker chips?

Sadly any game that is fast paced like that is a no go. I am way too fast for him and can see the options too quickly. I have a hard time finding anyone who can challenge me in those kinds of games. He does play them with other people though.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Pandemic

I also still like the Star Trek Expeditions game

I'm considering pandemic but I think someone is getting him arkham horror so I'm hesitant to get two cooperative games like that. Never heard of the star trek game will check it out.

King of Tokyo

That looks interesting. Its on the list to consider

Castles of Burgundy, it is my new favorite euro game. You also might consider asking for ideas on Boardgamegeek.com they have good suggestions.

Oh I love ravenburger games! Can't believe I haven't heard of this one it looks awesome! I may just put this on my list if I don't get it for dh.

Qwirkle?

We have and love this game!

If you like Catan you will love Agricola, it is hands down my favorite strategy game, it has a bunch of expansions but you wouldn't need them for awhile, as it's got a steep learning curve. I also played Dominion once and really enjoyed it.

I was looking at that and have now added it to the list of possibilies

If you like Catan you will love Agricola, it is hands down my favorite strategy game, it has a bunch of expansions but you wouldn't need them for awhile, as it's got a steep learning curve. I also played Dominion once and really enjoyed it.

Agricola looks awesome! I'm clicking "buy" on Amazon as soon as I post this. DH is getting it for Christmas.

I feel your pain OP. My DH is hard to shop for too, especially now that we buy almost exclusively digital books and music.

Farkle? Mexican Train? These are family games that my dh likes to play.

never heard of Mexican train will have to look into it. Farkle we have.  

Carcassone?

Settlers also comes in a 2-player card version. We really like it.

we have both!

Smash Up

Lords of Waterdeep

never heard of either. Will look into. Thanks!

FluxxChrononautsNanoFictionaryMunchkin

Have or have owned all but nanofictionary at one point. Will look into that one. Those etsy items are awesome!

Taboo is nice for people who prefer word games to board games. The bonus is that it can be played and enjoyed with a very wide range of ages and abilities. Here's a clip of Ellen and Katy Perry playing. They've modified it for two people, but you get the idea and can see how people could get competitive and hyped up.

Is it important to you that you can play a two person game? If so then Carcassone, no exceptions. Otherwise we enjoy Seven Wonders. I like Stone Age, DH likes it well enough. My kids love King of Tokyo. Small World was not a hit here. We have various add ons for Catan. We have Agricola but haven't really applied ourselves to mastering it yet so I can't weigh in on it.

We have Arkham Horror and Agricola and enjoy them.  We added Caverna to our collection in October and really enjoy the game.  It is like Agricola but a bit easier.  You can also play up to 7 players which is great.  We have played the 2,3,4,and 5 player versions of Agricola and the 4, 5, and 6 player versions of Caverna and have enjoyed them all as well.  Puerto Rico is another great game that I would recommend.  A great website is boardgamegeek.com.  You can view almost any game and there are Q&A boards, pictures of games in play, and reviews of games.

A newer one we've been enjoying is Splendor. But seconding lots of the above suggestions. Do you have a board games shop anywhere near you? I find it helps to actually go and get the in person rec's sometimes because typically people in board game stores really know their stuff.