Menu

"One" vs "You" in essays

In an essay, do you think it's acceptable to use "you" instead of "one"?

Example:

"In cases like this, one should always remember to..."

or

"In cases like this, you should always remember to..."

I'm from a more formal writing background, so I always encouraged my kids to use "one" in an essay, but the "one" can sound awkward sometimes, whereas "you" -- though less formal -- always sounds very normal and comfortable.

I've looked it up online and some sites say "one" can sound pretentious even in a more formal essay, and "you" is acceptable.  Other sites still promote "one."  Of course one answer is to change the sentence structure so that neither is necessary.  But that can sound awkward too.

I ask this because my daughter recently used "you's" in a college essay and it seemed to be totally acceptable.

I vote no on using "you" in any essay in high school or college, ever.  (FWIW, I won't let dd13 use "you" in her middle school essays either.)

If "one" sounds too awkward in a particular situation, then perhaps there's another way to write the sentence without using either "you" or "one" as the subject, e.g., use passive voice.  However, most of the time, I'd guess that one just needs to become accustomed to using "one" :)  (eta, or choose a more descriptive subject, such as "a student")

In such situations, it is important to remember to rephrase the sentence.

Of course, context matters. Personal essays shouldn't use overly formal phrasing, no matter if you're in college or not. But, when in doubt, rewrite so as to avoid the controversy entirely.

I think you is always preferable to a passive construction and usually preferable to one.  If you look at sample SAT and AP Comp essays, there are often high-scoring essays that use you.  It is much better to avoid awkwardness and wordiness than to slavishly follow a rule like "no use of the second person." I tell students they have to be consistent.  There is no one way to write about people in general in English.  You can use we, you, one ....  You just can't mix them. Ever.  

I am a writing coach and editor. I have a business in which students email me assignments, and then meet with me via Skype to discuss. I also worked many years in publishing, and I currently edit books as a freelancer.

It's easy to confuse what is acceptable for popular writing (like magazine articles or popular fiction) with what is acceptable for academic writing. It's best to go with a more formal tone for academic writing.

I never, ever allow my students to use I, me, my, you, your, or us. They are also not allowed to use contractions, ever, and I have a short list of overused forbidden words.

I also try to encourage them to move beyond the use of "one" because it echoes of a British nanny. I only allow its use occasionally.

So, you would structure the sentence so that neither is necessary? 

Correct.

It's important to NOT structure the sentence as a one-to-one translation. For example, a student wrote:

You will find it easy to use the Dewey Decimal system to research.

He changed it to:

One will find it easy to use the Dewey Decimal system to research.

Translating the sentence the way he did rendered the tone snobby and the construction a little awkward. I pushed him to move beyond that construction, to this:

It is easy to use the Dewey Decimal system to research.

OR

It is easy to research using the Dewey Decimal system.

Another vote for "one" in formal writing (school, college, job application cover letters).  Above all,, do not write "you all" in a formal paper!

Also:  "In cases such as this, one always should remember. . ."

The battle over this usage, however, appears to have been lost.

Another vote for neither, and restructuring sentences to avoid use of "one" or "you" (or "I").

Specifically with the example provided, how about: "In cases like this, always remember to…"

My argumentative 15 yos would say, "But this sentence does have 'you' in it! You is understood!"  :lol:

Another vote for neither, and restructuring sentences to avoid use of "one" or "you" (or "I").

Specifically with the example provided, how about: "In cases like this, always remember to…"

Another question that's bugging me now that I've read "In cases like this" 50x... shouldn't it be "In cases like these..." or "In a case like this..."??  The pronoun doesn't agree with the antecedent...

Another question that's bugging me now that I've read "In cases like this" 50x... shouldn't it be "In cases like these..." or "In a case like this..."??  The pronoun doesn't agree with the antecedent...

I don't know about that. It makes sense to me if you are talking about one example of many similar cases.

But I like the "such cases" phrasing also.

I am a writing coach and editor. I have a business in which students email me assignments, and then meet with me via Skype to discuss. I also worked many years in publishing, and I currently edit books as a freelancer.

It's easy to confuse what is acceptable for popular writing (like magazine articles or popular fiction) with what is acceptable for academic writing. It's best to go with a more formal tone for academic writing.

I never, ever allow my students to use I, me, my, you, your, or us. They are also not allowed to use contractions, ever, and I have a short list of overused forbidden words.

I also try to encourage them to move beyond the use of "one" because it echoes of a British nanny. I only allow its use occasionally.

Can you post the short list of forbidden words?

Can you post the short list of forbidden words?

Very

Just--You can use this word in the sense of, "He was a just judge." You cannot use this word in the sense of, "It was just so hot outside."

Also I do not encourage the use of "so"as in the example above.

Really

That--There are occasions where "that" is an appropriate word choice. However, it is badly overused and most often is unnecessary. It often acts as a speed bump, slowing the whole sentence down. The rule of thumb is that when a sentence can be constructed without "that," do so.

No colloquialisms. For example, students should not start a sentence with "Well, . . . " I look for other "teen speak" patterns and try to edit those out.

No contractions, ever.

No I, you, your, me, my, mine, us.

Limited use of "one."

Also I keep a list of each student's particular overused words. For example, I had a student for two years in a row who overused "simply." Finally I forbade him to ever use it on an essay for me because he was in a rut.

Very

Just--You can use this word in the sense of, "He was a just judge." You cannot use this word in the sense of, "It was just so hot outside."

Also I do not encourage the use of "so"as in the example above.

Really

That--There are occasions where "that" is an appropriate word choice. However, it is badly overused and most often is unnecessary. It often acts as a speed bump, slowing the whole sentence down. The rule of thumb is that when a sentence can be constructed without "that," do so.

No colloquialisms. For example, students should not start a sentence with "Well, . . . " I look for other "teen speak" patterns and try to edit those out.

No contractions, ever.

No I, you, your, me, my, mine, us.

Limited use of "one."

Also I keep a list of each student's particular overused words. For example, I had a student for two years in a row who overused "simply." Finally I forbade him to ever use it on an essay for me because he was in a rut.

Oh, dear. I am aware that I overuse some of these words (very, just, really), but I can't seem to stop myself.... Sorry about the colloquialism and contraction.

This reminds me - I keep meaning to get this software: Smart Edit

Here's a quick review of the plugin for Word http://pbackwriter.blogspot.ca/2014/09/smart-edit-for-word.html  & she also did a longer review of it as a stand-alone http://pbackwriter.blogspot.ca/search?q=SmartEdit

It alerts you to overused words & cliches, repeated words etc & you can make your own personalized lists.

BTW, my word is 'suddenly'.  Everything in my stories happens suddenly LOL