Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW39

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 39 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Happy AutumnAs of Tuesday, September 23rd, Autumn officially begins for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere and for our  readers in the Southern Hemisphere, it is officially Spring.  Fall with the cooler weather and colorful leaves always rejuvenates me for some reason.  I get in the mood for baking, strolling through the park through crackling leaves then nesting in my house in a comfy chair and reading.  

So what do you think of when you hear the words Autumn or Fall?  Leaves, of course, but what else?   Trees, falling, breeze, apples, football, corn, Halloween, harvest, orange, yellow, brown and crisp to name a few.   I bet you see where this is going.  Yep, read a book with a title that is associated with the season.  Or you can even read a book that is set during the autumn season. That one may be a bit trickier to find.  Have fun searching out some titles and if you can find them already in your stacks, that will be a bonus. 

Happy Fall!

History of the Ancient World - Chapters 50 and 51

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 38

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading in JD Robb's In Death Series - Fantasy in Death.  10 more days in my reread feast and think I'll just make it.

Fall is also the time for big releases by all the publishers

Publisher Weekly's list of Most Anticipated Books of Fall 2014.

Amazon's Big Fall Preview.

For the cooks among us - 43 Most Anticipated Cookbooks of Fall 2014

Thanks for the fun links Robin. I already have a few of them requested. :)

I finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe what an easy read it was after 1Q84. It didn't seem to have many of his trademark bingo card elements but I liked the main character quite a bit and enjoyed his story.

I am currently reading Alex by Pierre Lemaitre. My second book by this author this week. The first, Irene is better. This one is a bit less engaging in my opinion. Dependent upon having read the first I think in order to know the characters on the police force. I keep wondering why this one was translated from French first. Definitely a crime thriller with some disturbing descriptions.

Boswell's Life of Johnson is very topical for me this week. We're near the end - of the book, and of Johnson's life - and he has just had a stroke, which leaves him unable to speak.

Yesterday morning, my husband collapsed while out running. The attending and the neurologist are at odds about why. He is back home now, pending some more tests, and will be unable to drive for the next two months, but he is alive, thank God, and his mental faculties are returning. It was very hard to see a man whose astounding intellect I have known for more than thirty years unable to form sentences or to remember anything at all. In a darkly humorous moment, the resident neurologist, after asking him for information which he struggled and failed to give, suddenly realized dh had once been his professor, and asked, "Do you remember me?" And then of course realized with a look of horror what he'd asked, and introduced himself quickly; and the whole thing was very awkward, and yet somehow funny. Anyhow, if you are so inclined, please offer a prayer for him. It has been a difficult weekend.

Folks, it is officially Banned Books Week. You know my soapbox spiel already, so please be sure to find a banned book & celebrate your freedom to read.

Powell's bookstore had a couple of links w/ book lists...

http://www.powells.com/subjects/featured-titles/banned-books/?utm_source=specials&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=spec_banned&utm_content=See%20All

http://www.buzzfeed.com/powellsbooks/33-must-read-books-to-celebrate-banned-books-week-ohuo

BBW14_Poster_200x300.jpg

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)

Lists of frequently challenged books:

http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks

And, specifically, the 2013-14 list:

http://www.ila.org/BannedBooks/ALA016%20Short%20List%20L3c_low%20%281%29.pdf

Violet Crown, I'm so sorry to hear that about your DH. I'll pray for him.

I'm still reading The Book Thief. I got bored in the middle of it and started Nightmares: Bedtime Stories For The Wicked by Mark Souza. A bunch of short horror stories that happen to mainly be set in Fall. What a coincidence! For banned books week, I'll read A Light In The Attic by Shel Silverstein with the kids. They've never read it before so they're going to be in for a treat!

Boswell's Life of Johnson is very topical for me this week. We're near the end - of the book, and of Johnson's life - and he has just had a stroke, which leaves him unable to speak.

Yesterday morning, my husband collapsed while out running. The attending and the neurologist are at odds about why. He is back home now, pending some more tests, and will be unable to drive for the next two months, but he is alive, thank God, and his mental faculties are returning. It was very hard to see a man whose astounding intellect I have known for more than thirty years unable to form sentences or to remember anything at all. In a darkly humorous moment, the resident neurologist, after asking him for information which he struggled and failed to give, suddenly realized dh had once been his professor, and asked, "Do you remember me?" And then of course realized with a look of horror what he'd asked, and introduced himself quickly; and the whole thing was very awkward, and yet somehow funny. Anyhow, if you are so inclined, please offer a prayer for him. It has been a difficult weekend.

:grouphug:  to you and your husband.  Will keep you all in our prayers and thoughts.  What a scary thing to happen. Did they rule out a TIA a/o stroke? 

Folks, it is officially Banned Books Week. You know my soapbox spiel already, so please be sure to find a banned book & celebrate your freedom to read.

Powell's bookstore had a couple of links w/ book lists...

http://www.powells.com/subjects/featured-titles/banned-books/?utm_source=specials&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=spec_banned&utm_content=See%20All

http://www.buzzfeed.com/powellsbooks/33-must-read-books-to-celebrate-banned-books-week-ohuo

Eek! I totally spaced on it being this week.  Will go check my shelves - I have the usual suspects: Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird to be read.  Have already read Harry Potter, Lord of the Flies, Wrinkle in Time and a few more.   Thanks for the reminder!

Sending positive thoughts your way, Violet Crown, for your husband's good health and for some answers.

Today I finished Light Up the Night (The Night Stalkers) by M. L. Buchman.  I've now read a number of books by this author, and I've enjoyed them all.  I'd categorize this one as military romance.

"Name: Trisha O'Malley

Mission : Take down Somali pirates, and deny her past

Name: William Bruce

Mission : Rescue hostages, and protect his past-against all comers

They both have something to hide

When hotshot SOAR helicopter pilot Trisha O'Malley rescues Navy SEAL Bill Bruce from his undercover mission in Somalia, it ignites his fury. Everything about Trisha triggers his mistrust: her elusive past, her wild energy, and her proclivity for flying past safety's edge. Even as the heat between them turns into passion's fire, Bill and Trisha must team up to confront their pasts and survive Somalia's pirate lords."

Regards,

Kareni

I think I'm going to stop reading Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner. It is something I really thought I would love. But, I don't. The writing is nice, a bit intriguing, I love the Spanish setting, but the stream-of-consciousness style by the slacker narrator is just starting to grate. I'm 1/3 of the way through & I'm just not wanting to find out more about the story, partially because I don't think it (the story/plot) is actually planning to go anywhere. Blah. Done with this one.

Since it is Banned Books Week, maybe I'll hop onto some banned books instead. Planning to read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother for one thing. Reminder of why: http://boingboing.net/2014/06/06/why-im-sending-200-copies-of.html -- And, in case you are then interested in reading Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, he has posted free copies for you to download & read: http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

Have plenty of others around that would also qualify for a read &/or re-read.....

and for our  readers in the Southern Hemisphere, it is officially Spring. 

I don't know about the rest of the hemisphere, but here it has been officially (for what that's worth) Spring since the 1st of September. 

Reality in my area is more like this: http://www.herringisland.org/seasons1.htm

I'm up to chapter 30 of HoAW, began reading 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' which must have been a rec from here, and got an hour and a half into 'As you Like it' last night before falling asleep. I'm also working on a book about Christopaganism, but it hasn't got interesting yet.

I think I'm going to stop reading Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner. It is something I really thought I would love. But, I don't. The writing is nice, a bit intriguing, I love the Spanish setting, but the stream-of-consciousness style by the slacker narrator is just starting to grate. I'm 1/3 of the way through & I'm just not wanting to find out more about the story, partially because I don't think it (the story/plot) is actually planning to go anywhere. Blah. Done with this one.

Like you, Stacia, I'm chugging along with a book that I feel I could release from my attention, 'Claire of the Sea Light'. I am somewhat curious to know what happens to the characters but I find my mind wandering as I read. I'm continuing with 'True Refuge' toggling between audio and reading. Emily Dickinson and Mary Stewart are on hold for the moment though I can feel the itch to get back to them. We are having fun with 'Tom Sawyer' :D

Since it is Banned Books Week, maybe I'll hop onto some banned books instead. Planning to read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother for one thing. Reminder of why: http://boingboing.net/2014/06/06/why-im-sending-200-copies-of.html -- And, in case you are then interested in reading Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, he has posted free copies for you to download & read: http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

Have plenty of others around that would also qualify for a read &/or re-read.....

Stacia, could you share how your banned book passion started? I'm :bigear: and always interested to hear how particular themes unfold a person's life, within and without.

Yesterday morning, my husband collapsed while out running. The attending and the neurologist are at odds about why. He is back home now, pending some more tests, and will be unable to drive for the next two months, but he is alive, thank God, and his mental faculties are returning. It was very hard to see a man whose astounding intellect I have known for more than thirty years unable to form sentences or to remember anything at all.

Oh, VC, I'm so sorry.   :grouphug: Holding your husband, you and the rest of your family in the light, and hoping for a full recovery and good answers.

Oh, VC, how scary for both you and our husband!  :grouphug:  to both of you.

I am having difficulty, again, in keeping steady with a book.  I have The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith  sitting by my reading chair but that is all that is doing for the moment.  I'm not sure if I am going to continue on with it.   I am also reading Dante's  The Inferno.  I am only on Canto III so the jury is still out on whether I will actually finish it.

I am having difficulty, again, in keeping steady with a book.  I have The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith  sitting by my reading chair but that is all that is doing for the moment.  I'm not sure if I am going to continue on with it.   I am also reading Dante's  The Inferno.  I am only on Canto III so the jury is still out on whether I will actually finish it.

If I can make it all the way through, then you can to.  Persevere! 

VC - hope things get better for you and your dh quickly.  :grouphug:

I finished Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - and one thing I'm happy about with this series is that - so far - each book is quite different from the previous book(s). First an evil wizard, then werewolves, then ghosts and an evil fairy. Like a supernatural reading buffet.

I also finished The Poem's Heartbeat: A Manual of Prosody by Alfred Corn. It was dry but informative. I mean - it was basically a textbook. In fact, I think he said in the introduction that he wrote it to use as a textbook for classes he teaches. Anyway, I learned some things. Good.

And now I've started in on The Honey Month by Amal El-Mohtar. For 28 days the author tasted a different kind of honey. She starts each chapter with a description of the color, smell and taste of the honey. Then there is a poem or very short story she wrote inspired by the honey. 

Prayers for a full recovery for your dh, VC. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

For banned books week, I finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Actually I was reading it because my dd was assigned it in her high school English class. I've been reading a few sites to see why some places have banned it. I guessed it was for some "14-year-old-boy locker room" talk, but I learned some people were also bothered by some of the more tragic elements in the book. I would rather it not have the locker room talk but thought that the book has a lot of themes worth discussing in a freshman English class. It was an easy read--would also like assigned books in an honors English class to have a higher reading level, but I think other selections will balance that out.

Finished Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life by William Deresiewicz. Lots of interesting stuff and much I agree with. Some that I don't too. I thought it was strongest in the first part of the book which focuses on the "super students" who jump through increasingly numerous and difficult hoops to get into elite schools and the less-than-hoped-for outcomes of the education they get there.

Working on: The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani--our October book club pick. I'm enjoying it very much and my only complaint is the length--my library copy is due this next Friday and I'm on page 180 of 470. Italian immigrant epic romance type stuff--nice, easy reading. Still also working on I Shall Wear Midnight on the Treadmill. Did not make any progress on HOTAW. Kind of looking forward to getting these books done and being able to read more of my own choosing--trying to get Generosity done (finished last week) for this month's book club really slowed me down.

I finished A Town Like Alice this afternoon. :glare: Don't want to give away any spoilers, so these are my "un-spoiler" thoughts. The first half I thought was phenomenal. Totally swept away, thinking this was the best book I've read in a long time.  I was moved by the plot and the characters. But, by the second half I felt like the story went away. That's all I will say.

Started reading The Good Earth and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, both of which I have never read before. Continuing on with a book called God is Just Not Fair.  On my nightstand for this week, I have The Casual Vacancy, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, and The Rathbones (has anyone read this? Looks intriguing - an infusion of The Odyssey, Moby Dick, and magical realism...)

:grouphug:  Will keep you all in my prayers!

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what exactly is the definition of a banned book?  Am worried I am a secret pro-ban booker  :scared:   I think everyone has the right to read what they want, but I'm afraid that I don't believe that some books should be required reading for middle/high schoolers.  There are plenty of great books/authors out there that some of the crap they are now requiring to be read should definitely NOT be. Some content is not for the school to decide the appropriateness.  Parents should retain that right.  Does this make me pro-banned books?!  I've been afraid to ask that for years!

I remember looking into the banned book list back during the 8/8/8 challenge and being shocked at what was on that list.  I read that year James and the Giant Peach, Harry Potter, and The Handmaid's Tale.  All from the list.  And I've also already read plenty more from that list that were completely fine.  Of course, I think that The Handmaid's Tale should be banned.   :P   I thought it was crude and disgusting and couldn't finish it but it gets more than its fair share of love here  ;)   

So someone (gently) clear this up for me!  

I'm reading Cotillion by Heyer right now. I realized my mom didn't have it in her stash, so I bought it for kindle.

This is also one of my favorite Heyer's, maybe the first I ever read!  I laughed out loud a few times.

Off to bed, we have an early morning tomorrow with co-op!  Plus, I've got to finish The Mysterious Benedict Society before we meet with the girls tomorrow.  I'm reading it on Aly's Paperwhite.  I love that it tells me how much I've finished!  Only about 20% to go!

Oh, and fall makes me think of football and pumpkin patches and apple cider from this really great little shop and the Renaissance Festival and CANDY CORN and Boo-Berry Cereal   :laugh:

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all you ladies who've been talking up Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett for lo, all these ages... my son and I finished listening to Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, and... oh my.  Hil.Ar.I.Ous.  Happily my library has about twenty more audiobooks (they are both rather on the prolific side, aren't they?) so I think we're set for a while for commuting reading.

And my daughter and I finally finished Megan Whalen Turner's King of Attolia.  We really enjoyed the first two in this series; this one rather less.  We'll probably eventually return to the last and final just to find out how it ends, but not for a while, I don't think.  We were planning on turning next to Wrinkle in Time (ahhhh...), but she's reading King Arthur in school and demanded, exasperated, to know if there were going to be any GIRLS in the story.  I made the Serious Rookie Error of mentioning Mists of Avalon, which she now insists we read together, despite my very rapid backpedalling that it's about a million pages long and (I can't actually remember if this is true, I read it so long ago and it's been eclipsed by the Mists of Time, but...) doubtless inappropriate for an 11 year old.  So we're still negotiating...

I re-read Reza Aslan's Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth for my interfaith book group.  Just as frustrating the second time around as the first, sigh.  I very often really appreciate rigorously researched religious history; and I also enjoy good fiction exploring the spaces between biblical accounts... sadly, this is neither the one nor the other.  

Also, The Golden Ass: The Transformations of Lucius, by Apuleius, at Violet Crown's much-appreciated recommendation.  Gracious, thank you, VC.  I'd never even heard of this second century novel (!), which according to my book cover TE Lawrence carried around Arabia in its original Latin and which according to my introduction was roundly critiqued by St Augustine for making too attractive a worldview too wholly opposed to his own... it sorta-kinda evokes Canterbury Tales in its over-the-top humor but is entirely its own thing.  It also includes a fairly straight telling of the Cupid and Psyche story that seemed to me to have been the source of CS Lewis' Until We Have Faces (?).  Very worthwhile.  I read Robert Graves' translation -- dunno how true, but eminently readable.

Also, Sister Simone Campbell's Nuns on the Bus: How All of Us Can Create Hope, Change and Community, a fabulous easy-to-read story of her Network lobbying organization's effort to raise awareness and political support for social justice programs.  (They're on the road again as of last week!)

shukriyya inspired me to dip into a collection of Rab'ia of Basra.  I did enjoy the poems, though the biographical section of the book could have used better editing.

Still working on: Bright Wings, an anthology of poems about birds paired with nice Sibley illustrations; In Praise of Hatred by Khaled Khalifa, a novel set in Syria that I am on the verge of giving up on; and Joseph Telushkin's Hillel: If Not Now, When? which is not at all the biography I expected but which I am thoroughly enjoying nonetheless.  And I will return tomorrow to the library to take out another Gaiman audiobook.

And now I've started in on The Honey Month by Amal El-Mohtar. For 28 days the author tasted a different kind of honey. She starts each chapter with a description of the color, smell and taste of the honey. Then there is a poem or very short story she wrote inspired by the honey. 

Oh, how fun!!  I'm completely cracking my family up because I've been collecting sundry pots of honey from different places, made from different types of blossoms, for months now in anticipation of Rosh Hashanah this week, during which we dip bread and apples into honey -- my plan is to set up a honey tasting buffet.  At the moment the jars have taken over the dining room sideboard.

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what exactly is the definition of a banned book?  Am worried I am a secret pro-ban booker  :scared:   I think everyone has the right to read what they want, but I'm afraid that I don't believe that some books should be required reading for middle/high schoolers.  There are plenty of great books/authors out there that some of the crap they are now requiring to be read should definitely NOT be. Some content is not for the school to decide the appropriateness.  Parents should retain that right.  Does this make me pro-banned books?!  I've been afraid to ask that for years!

:lol: Well, I don't know what the "official" definition of "banned" is (the idea of any such officiousness is perhaps contrary to the spirit of the thing?) but, as far as I am concerned in my little non-representative corner of the world, being selective about one's own children's reading material is not the same thing...

and of course, there are many books of real literary merit that merit being on reading lists for older kids which are *not* suitable for younger kids, and the line varies from family to family and even kid to kid within a family, so any list necessarily oversimplifies... Slaughterhouse-Five and Kite Runner are worth reading imo, but my eyes widen a bit when I see those two on the same banned list as Captain Underpants.. Context matters.

I remember looking into the banned book list back during the 8/8/8 challenge and being shocked at what was on that list.  I read that year James and the Giant Peach, Harry Potter, and The Handmaid's Tale.  All from the list.  And I've also already read plenty more from that list that were completely fine.  Of course, I think that The Handmaid's Tale should be banned.    :p   I thought it was crude and disgusting and couldn't finish it but it gets more than its fair share of love here   ;)

For me, the value of the lists is that they generate questions and debate amongst readers.  And in many cases give us suggestions!

Good heavens, VC.  I had to reread this a couple of times for it to sink in.  How utterly frightening.  I'm joining in with the love being sent your way and the prayers lifted for you and your dh.  

I'm with Shukriyya -- it is time to present your spiel again.

I remember looking into the banned book list back during the 8/8/8 challenge and being shocked at what was on that list.  I read that year James and the Giant Peach, Harry Potter, and The Handmaid's Tale.  All from the list.  And I've also already read plenty more from that list that were completely fine.  Of course, I think that The Handmaid's Tale should be banned.   :p   I thought it was crude and disgusting and couldn't finish it but it gets more than its fair share of love here  ;)   

Angel, I was having some similar thoughts to yours as I was reading through the links about banned books.  Sometimes the books were not banned but just challenged, just questioned.  I absolutely don't want books taken off library shelves, even school library shelves.  But can't a parent question a book assigned in the classroom?  I'm so thankful that as a homeschooling mom I was able to carefully choose titles appropriate for my kids.  There were titles I didn't want my kids reading when they were teens,  some of which I would never assign knowing the particular sensitivities of my kids and others that I couldn't in good conscience hand to my teen but didn't mind if they stumbled across the titles on their own.  Parents of kids in classrooms don't have that luxury.

It is so tough being a conscientious parent these days.  On the one hand parents are admonished to monitor and be knowledgable of all the media our kids consume, but if a family publicly balks at a title assigned in a classroom, well they are immediately found guilty of intolerance and accused of book burning.  To me book banning is the government deciding that a book cannot be published, sold or made available to the public, but, it seems to me the cry of "censorship" comes a bit too quickly.   

Handmaid's Tale, by the way, was a life-changing book for me, especially as I read it while pregnant and making the decision to quit work and be a full time mom. It was a manifesto for me. Don't know what I'd think of it now that I'm older and have read more than my fair share of dystopian novels! 

Angel, page 3 and page 9 of this document define book banning (or attempts to get books banned) & why that is not a good idea in a society that values free speech.... Excerpts from it (2013-2014 Books Challenged or Banned by Robert P. Doyle):

Sex, profanity, and racism remain the primary categories of objections, and most occur in schools and school libraries. Frequently, challenges are motivated by the desire to protect children. While the intent is commendable, this method of protection contains hazards far greater than exposure to the “evil†against which it is leveled. U.S. Supreme Court Justice William Brennan, in Texas v. Johnson , said, “If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.†Individuals may restrict what they themselves or their children read, but they must not call on governmental or public agencies to prevent others from reading or viewing that material.

and

The First Amendment guarantees that each of us has the right to express our views, including opinions about particular books. At the same time, the First Amendment also ensures that none of us has the right to control or limit another person’s ability to read or access information. Yet when individuals or groups file formal written requests demanding that libraries and schools remove specific books from the shelves, they are doing just that—attempting to restrict the rights of other individuals to access those books.

The rights and protections of the First Amendment extend to children and teens as well as adults. While parents have the right—and the responsibility—to guide their own children’s reading, that right does not extend to other people’s children. Similarly each adult has the right to choose his or her own reading materials, along with the responsibility to acknowledge and respect the right of others to do the same.

When we speak up to protect the right to read, we not only defend our individual right to free expression, we demonstrate tolerance and respect for opposing points of view. And when we take action to preserve our precious freedoms, we become participants in the ongoing evolution of our democratic society.

Also (sourced from wikipedia's article on Freedom of Speech):

The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice".

Shukriyya, I'm not sure there's specifically a story around my rally cry in support of freedom of speech/freedom to read. Maybe it's because one of the things my mom always stressed was the importance of reading & often said that if you can read, you can do anything. Maybe it's my journalism & writing background. Maybe it has been hearing my in-laws (who lived in Europe during WWII) talk about some of Hitler's early moves in restricting, controlling, & manipulating the press. I'm staunchly for an open press & anti-censorship. Banned books week is just a tiny part of the larger world issue, but perhaps it is one that feels relevant to the everyday American & is an accessible platform to remind us to be vigilant about attempts to restrict our freedom of speech (including our access to materials), freedoms that (sadly) can be rather easily eroded by an apathetic or uninformed populace.

:grouphug:   I hope all is well!

VC - hope things get better for you and your dh quickly.  :grouphug:

I finished Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - and one thing I'm happy about with this series is that - so far - each book is quite different from the previous book(s). First an evil wizard, then werewolves, then ghosts and an evil fairy. Like a supernatural reading buffet.

I love his books.  So much fun!  I heard them called Harry Potter for adults, and I think it's a pretty apt description.

I'm liking Steelheart.  I like that it's kind of set in "our" world.  The kids are reading Harry Potter and I'm also reading Return of the King, so there are two on the list.  I'll try to pick up another banned book, too.  

Oh my goodness.  I'm so sorry.  I'll be praying.

Robin, Fall makes me think of Halloween & spooky reading!

I finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe what an easy read it was after 1Q84. It didn't seem to have many of his trademark bingo card elements but I liked the main character quite a bit and enjoyed his story.

Glad you enjoyed it! I totally agree that it seemed so easy compared to 1Q84, lol.

And I am almost done with the 'Zwarte met het witte hart' (the black one with the white heart).
It is about two African princes who are send to Europe for 'education', one tries to forget everything he has been, the other tries to forget where he is.

a window on not so well known Dutch history.

Sounds like an interesting book.

Reality in my area is more like this: http://www.herringisland.org/seasons1.htm

Thanks for the neat link, Rosie. It says you get visits from Antarctic birds in June. Have you spotted any??? How cool is that???

Another book that sounds interesting.

Did you ever read Leaving the Atocha Station? I know it was one you were also considering & I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

For banned books week, I finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Actually I was reading it because my dd was assigned it in her high school English class. I've been reading a few sites to see why some places have banned it. I guessed it was for some "14-year-old-boy locker room" talk, but I learned some people were also bothered by some of the more tragic elements in the book. I would rather it not have the locker room talk but thought that the book has a lot of themes worth discussing in a freshman English class. It was an easy read--would also like assigned books in an honors English class to have a higher reading level, but I think other selections will balance that out.

I'm usually not into reading YA, but this is one book that has been on my radar for awhile & I might pick it up to read it.

The Rathbones (has anyone read this? Looks intriguing - an infusion of The Odyssey, Moby Dick, and magical realism...)

No, I've never even heard of it. Sounds quite cool. Looking forward to your review!

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all you ladies who've been talking up Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett for lo, all these ages... my son and I finished listening to Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, and... oh my.  Hil.Ar.I.Ous.  Happily my library has about twenty more audiobooks (they are both rather on the prolific side, aren't they?) so I think we're set for a while for commuting reading.

<snip>

Also, The Golden Ass: The Transformations of Lucius, by Apuleius, at Violet Crown's much-appreciated recommendation.  Gracious, thank you, VC.  I'd never even heard of this second century novel (!), which according to my book cover TE Lawrence carried around Arabia in its original Latin and which according to my introduction was roundly critiqued by St Augustine for making too attractive a worldview too wholly opposed to his own... it sorta-kinda evokes Canterbury Tales in its over-the-top humor but is entirely its own thing.  It also includes a fairly straight telling of the Cupid and Psyche story that seemed to me to have been the source of CS Lewis' Until We Have Faces (?).  Very worthwhile.  I read Robert Graves' translation -- dunno how true, but eminently readable.

Yay. So glad you loved Good Omens! Such a fun (& funny) book.

I really enjoyed The Golden Ass when I read it quite a few years ago. Yes, sometimes over-the-top, but also quite amusing & entertaining, rolling along at a fair clip.

Thanks for the neat link, Rosie. It says you get visits from Antarctic birds in June. Have you spotted any??? How cool is that???

I wouldn't have a clue! I don't know nearly enough about birds. Mum was saying just yesterday that we ought to get a bird book. We get a reference book for Marek's birthday each year. I've got one about fungi for his next, but perhaps that should be stashed away for the following year in favour of a bird book. I keep seeing some kind of rosella that isn't a variety I know. I've also got dodgy eye sight so I'm not seeing it well enough as it startles and flies off to be able to come home and look it up. 

Thanks for the reminder! I've just posted on FB hoping someone can recommend a book. :)

Oh, my goodness, VC!! I'm so sorry to read this. My family will pray for you and yours and for clear answers and healing for you dh.

I read a lovely detective mystery this week, one of the Chief Inspector Gamache novels by Louise Penny, titled A Brutal Telling.  It is book number 52 for the year!!  Shukriyya, I'm not sure if you are a fan of the detective novel, but this one made me think of you for all the verse sprinkled through the book.  The town in which these novels are set has a resident poet, a cantankerous old woman who was slipping little slips of paper with verse to one of the uptight police investigators.  One little snippet was 

"and pick your soul up gently by the nape of the neck

and caress you into darkness and paradise."

The young investigator was annoyed by these little slips of paper, convinced that the woman hates him and was just trying to annoy him with meaningless couplets, but at the end of the novel, with the case wrapped up, he sits in his study at home and arranges the snippets into a complete poem.

The author didn't write the verse, but in the acknowledgement section gives credit to Margaret Atwood and others who gave permission for the poetry to be woven into this and other novels.  Louise Penny says that she tells aspiring writers "to read poetry, which I think for them is often the literary equivalent of being told to eat Brussles sprouts.  ... But what a shame if a writer doesn't at least try to find poems that speak to him or her.  Poets manage to get into a couplet what I struggle to achieve in an entire book."

I'm listening to The Reverse of the Medal, the 11th (I think) of the Master and Commander series.  I'm squirming a bit with this one because the main action takes place on land in England, and Captain Aubrey is a bit of a fool on land.  I don't want to go where this book leads, but Jo Walton, in her blogs on rereading the series, states that this is the pivot point for the series, that the rest of the novels lead directly from this one.  

And I'm reading the collection of Jo Walton blog posts, What Makes This Book So Great.  

shukriyya inspired me to dip into a collection of Rab'ia of Basra.  I did enjoy the poems, though the biographical section of the book could have used better editing.

Still working on: Bright Wings, an anthology of poems about birds paired with nice Sibley illustrations; In Praise of Hatred by Khaled Khalifa, a novel set in Syria that I am on the verge of giving up on; and Joseph Telushkin's Hillel: If Not Now, When? which is not at all the biography I expected but which I am thoroughly enjoying nonetheless.  And I will return tomorrow to the library to take out another Gaiman audiobook.

If you want more info check out First Among Sufis, contributed to in part by the inimitable Doris Lessing. In terms of collections I like Doorkeeper of the Heart.

And finally, Bright Wings looks marvelous.

VC I'm keeping you and yours in the light.

I haven't read that much this week, I've been re-watching Downton Abbey as the the season started in the UK yesterday. I did get some reading done Saturday and Sunday though.

Still working on I Kroppen Min by Kristian Gidlund. This past week marked one year since he passed away, I'm still reading about him finding out about his illness.

I read a big chunk of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (banned book) and found two chapters my seniors will be reading for our medical ethics unit.

My firsties and I will be tackling the last section of The Giver by Lois Lowry (banned book) this week as well as discussing book banning.

I've also started re-reading The Harry Potter series (banned book) as it feels comfortable and cozy as the start of fall was heralded by a real fall storm with heavy rain and wind causing windows to rattle.

My seniors will be discussing book banning so I thank you ladies who have posted various links!

Pam, the honey tasting buffet sounds incredible. The dc's and I have developed hay fever quite badly in recent years especially to rape seed flowers which are grown extensively in our area. We were advised to eat local honey to build our immunity. My local bee guy actually knows what type of pollen the bees were in for all of his honey. We are all much better than a few years ago. My loyalty keeps me buying local but I keep looking at interesting honey produced elsewhere. I think you just inspired me to start collecting!

ETA Here is a rape seed link for anyone who is interested. The yellow field in the upper left is what at least every third field (crop rotation) is covered in every April and May. We live in a farming community.http://www.farrington-oils.co.uk/rapeseed-oil/

Not sure what I am going to read. I went through the list and was surprised to see how many I had read recently. I have never read Slaughter House so am on a wait list for that.

The Little Brother link was much needed. Ds recently checked the sequel out of the library but has never read the original. He has downloaded a couple versions with irritating formatting so will try this one. Fyi, dd read the sequel and liked it.

VC - hope things get better for you and your dh quickly. :grouphug:

I finished Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - and one thing I'm happy about with this series is that - so far - each book is quite different from the previous book(s). First an evil wizard, then werewolves, then ghosts and an evil fairy. Like a supernatural reading buffet.

I also finished The Poem's Heartbeat: A Manual of Prosody by Alfred Corn. It was dry but informative. I mean - it was basically a textbook. In fact, I think he said in the introduction that he wrote it to use as a textbook for classes he teaches. Anyway, I learned some things. Good.

And now I've started in on The Honey Month by Amal El-Mohtar. For 28 days the author tasted a different kind of honey. She starts each chapter with a description of the color, smell and taste of the honey. Then there is a poem or very short story she wrote inspired by the honey.

I read the first Jim Butcher several months ago and liked it. I think you just motivated me to go back and read the rest. Love the idea of each book dealing with a different type of paranormal.

VC I'm keeping you and yours in the light.

I haven't read that much this week, I've been re-watching Downton Abbey as the the season started in the UK yesterday. I did get some reading done Saturday and Sunday though.

Still working on I Kroppen Min by Kristian Gidlund. This past week marked one year since he passed away, I'm still reading about him finding out about his illness.

I read a big chunk of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (banned book) and found two chapters my seniors will be reading for our medical ethics unit.

My firsties and I will be tackling the last section of The Giver by Lois Lowry (banned book) this week as well as discussing book banning.

I've also started re-reading The Harry Potter series (banned book) as it feels comfortable and cozy as the start of fall was heralded by a real fall storm with heavy rain and wind causing windows to rattle.

My seniors will be discussing book banning so I thank you ladies who have posted various links!

I dvr'd Downton Abbey. I still need to watch season three which is also on the dvr. The new season sounds much better so maybe I will manage to watch again. Let me know what you think when you get to the current.

I wouldn't have a clue! I don't know nearly enough about birds. Mum was saying just yesterday that we ought to get a bird book. We get a reference book for Marek's birthday each year. I've got one about fungi for his next, but perhaps that should be stashed away for the following year in favour of a bird book. I keep seeing some kind of rosella that isn't a variety I know. I've also got dodgy eye sight so I'm not seeing it well enough as it startles and flies off to be able to come home and look it up. 

Thanks for the reminder! I've just posted on FB hoping someone can recommend a book. :)

:grouphug:  I just wanted to say, the idea of carrying on with your birthday tradition is beautiful.    :grouphug:

No brilliant recommendations on particular field guides (we just have the standard Peterson's and Sibley's; I expect there are similar for your region; and also a basic but helpful how-to sorting skills by Stephen Moss which I'd think transcend region). 

If you want more info check out First Among Sufis, contributed to in part by the inimitable Doris Lessing. In terms of collections I like Doorkeeper of the Heart.

And finally, Bright Wings looks marvelous.

Egads.  First Among Sufis is currently running at $238 on Amazon!  I will look out for it the next time I'm in my mother's favorite bookstore, which is at the crossroads of 5 colleges and often has such subjects...

Pam, the honey tasting buffet sounds incredible. The dc's and I have developed hay fever quite badly in recent years especially to rape seed flowers which are grown extensively in our area. We were advised to eat local honey to build our immunity. My local bee guy actually knows what type of pollen the bees were in for all of his honey. We are all much better than a few years ago. My loyalty keeps me buying local but I keep looking at interesting honey produced elsewhere. I think you just inspired me to start collecting!

ETA Here is a rape seed link for anyone who is interested. The yellow field in the upper left is what at least every third field (crop rotation) is covered in every April and May. We live in a farming community.http://www.farrington-oils.co.uk/rapeseed-oil/

I'll keep you posted on the honey feedback.  Collecting has itself been very fun -- we also have a number of local beekeepers (I'm sorta-kinda musing about getting a hive ourselves, but for the moment I think the vermicomposting will hold me, lol...) so I have a bunch of those, but I've also collected jars from New Mexico and South America... it's amazing how different they look.  I can't wait to compare how they taste!

For Banned Books week, I pulled Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five off the shelves for a re-read. It is one of my favorite books & Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors. He is so wonderfully droll.

Smiling by page 4, as the narrator says, "I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone."

Grrrr....I know I added a post telling VC that I would light a candle for her husband. But it disappeared into the ethers!

I finished reading the copy of Journey into Fear (Eric Ambler) that Stacia gave me. Stacia, you will be happy to know that I have passed it on.

In need of caffeine.....

Jane

My daughter and her boyfriend came to visit us from college this weekend. We ended up playing the family version of trivial pursuit to include the younger set. It's great because there are cards for adults and cards for kids. Apparently I was quite good at all the "trivia" and at one point they said "Mom, how do you know all this stuff?" My only answer was "I belong to  the book a week club."

Truly, almost every answer I could attribute to one of the books I have read over the past several years. Ironically I was really bad at the entertainment questions for current tv or movies. But ask me what was the name of Darwin's ship? "The Beagle". On what island was Napoleon born? "Corsica". What is the unlucky number in Asian countries? "Four". BAM! Thanks, you guys, for being my secret weapon.

:thumbup1:

Egads. First Among Sufis is currently running at $238 on Amazon! I will look out for it the next time I'm in my mother's favorite bookstore, which is at the crossroads of 5 colleges and often has such subjects...

I'll keep you posted on the honey feedback. Collecting has itself been very fun -- we also have a number of local beekeepers (I'm sorta-kinda musing about getting a hive ourselves, but for the moment I think the vermicomposting will hold me, lol...) so I have a bunch of those, but I've also collected jars from New Mexico and South America... it's amazing how different they look. I can't wait to compare how they taste!

'First Among Sufis' can be bought for $40 used on Amazon. A lot less than $238 but still not what I'd call inexpensive in this day and age of $1.99 kindle deals.

All the talk of honey is reminding me of my favorite honey, the kind I grew up with, Buckwheat. It took me ages to find it here. I was told it was difficult to harvest. Few folks had tasted, too, which surprised me as it was so plentiful back in my Canadian girlhood. I've since found a source for it and I'm very happy to report it is as delicious and mysterious-tasting as ever.

VC, hoping things are well with your dh today.

'First Among Sufis' can be bought for $40 used on Amazon. A lot less than $238 but still not what I'd call inexpensive in this day and age of $1.99 kindle deals.

All the talk of honey is reminding me of my favorite honey, the kind I grew up with, Buckwheat. It took me ages to find it here. I was told it was difficult to harvest. Few folks had tasted, too, which surprised me as it was so plentiful back in my Canadian girlhood. I've since found a source for it and an very happy to report it is as delicious and mysterious-tasting as ever.

VC, hoping things are well with your dh today.

Buckwheat is actually one of the kinds I have sitting on the sideboard awaiting Wednesday night -- I got it at a farmers' market from this local beekeeper, who evidently sells on line as well (scroll down to near the bottom).  It is SO dark and thick-looking -- it really is amazing how different they all look.  We also have two types of clover, three types of wildflower, one apple blossom, one mesquite, several varieties of "raw," and jars from Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Israel and Scotland. I can't wait to see how different they taste!