Menu

Shopping smart

Amethyst

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I can't seem to find what I"m looking for. 

I'm looking for tips on becoming a better grocery shopper. This is mostly just because. We're not under financial pressures (other than too many college tuition payments), I just feel it's time for me to get better. I've always just bought the food and brands we liked and never paid any attention to price. (I'm sorry that sounds obnoxious. I've been fortunate.) But now I want to start getting smarter about buying things. 

Last week I started making a spreadsheet which listed items with their regular price and sale price. Every time I go to the store now I jot down the price of everything I buy and add it to the spreadsheet when I get home. So this has already taught me a lot. I don't think I'll ever buy another snack food unless it's BOGO. But it seems like there must be other secrets out there that everyone else knows about and I've neglected all these years. For instance, there are sales, but then there seem to be *even better* sales on the same item...is there are way to find out how often these special sales happen. Just last week I thought I was being smart by buying English muffins at BOGO, but then this week they are buy one get TWO free! Rats!

And coupons. I've always felt very strongly that the point of coupons is to make me SPEND money, not SAVE money, so I'm very careful about what I clip. I only clip coupons for items I buy regularly, let's say Cottonelle. But so often, even with a coupon, a the generic is cheaper and even some brand names are cheaper than the brand with the coupon. So, I'd also appreciate tips about couponing. 

I don't want to stockpile a ton of stuff. I have a standard sized pantry and a bookshelf in the basement. It's damp down there so I will not put paper products (paper towels, TP, etc) down there, but canned goods, pasta, some snack foods.

So, please give me your best tips or send me links to past discussions or to helpful websites. TIA!!!!

I do most of our grocery shopping and I believe Toilet Paper is the hardest thing to buy. There are so many different package sizes (4 rolls, 6 rolls, 12 rolls, etc.) and different kinds of quality. It is very hard to compare Apples with Apples when buying Toilet Paper.

Here in Colombia, sometimes on the shelf, they will have the same product (same manufacturer) in different packages (same quantity) and the prices can be substantially different, because one package is a special offer.

So, I tend to take my time and look at everything, before I put something into the shopping cart.

For many years, we shopped in a Superstore in Cali that was about 10 minutes from our house. I discovered that instead of them putting clothes or shoes into an aisle where they had things marked down for clearance, that in the original position of the product, there were frequently items that had been marked down, severely, next to things that were far more expensive.  

Do NOT go to a supermarket if you are hungry! Eat before you go! Hungry people spend more!  Make a list and stick with it! Sometimes I buy something that wasn't on the list, but usually my wife receives what was on the list and nothing more.

I almost always buy generic store brand. Rarely will a brand name plus a sale plus a coupon be cheaper than generic. But this depends on where you live and which grocery stores you shop at. One of the biggest costs of foods are spoiling/spoiled foods that must be thrown out. So if you're throwing out bad food that's a great place to consider reworking meals or freezing leftovers to help out.

Also it depends on your stores but rarely will I buy non food items at my grocery store because it's usually cheaper at a big box store. Paper goods bought in bulk can be kept under beds or less traditional places.

Use reusable rags for cleaning when possible instead of paper towels. Use concentrated cleaners and dilute instead of expensive cleaners (or make your own).

Rethink your meals. Animal proteins are expensive so consider vegetarian meals to substitute. Eggs for protein are cheaper than steak, etc. Dried beans are less expensive than canned. Fruits and veges are sold per pound usually. Consider if most of your produce is $4 per pound or $.70 per pound (buy seasonally).

Good luck! It can be a whole new job researching all this.

Make a list and stick with it! 

This is something that I already do! I'm pretty good at sticking to the list too.

My problem is that, for instance, I'll say "gee, I'm in the mood for stuffed peppers this week" so I'll write down all the ingredients and head to the store. But then (like yesterday) I get to the store, and I noticed (I would never have noticed this a month ago) that the cauliflower is BOGO this week! And I don't have all the ingredients memorized so I miss out on the cheap cauliflower! 

I almost always buy generic store brand. Rarely will a brand name plus a sale plus a coupon be cheaper than generic.I'm definitely noticing this! I came into my marriage being very comfortable with generics. Dh on the other hand was very brand specific. So, I've become spoiled. Occasionally I have tried to be frugal and go with, say, Scottie TP. Hated it. Worked our way up to Cottonelle, which at least is cheaper than the Charmin we started with.  But this depends on where you live and which grocery stores you shop at. One of the biggest costs of foods are spoiling/spoiled foods that must be thrown out. So if you're throwing out bad food that's a great place to consider reworking meals or freezing leftovers to help out. We don't throw out much since I go with a list. Trying to get better sending leftovers for lunch with the kids in school.

Also it depends on your stores but rarely will I buy non food items at my grocery store because it's usually cheaper at a big box store. Paper goods bought in bulk can be kept under beds or less traditional places. Ugh. More stores! I'm already keeping track of 3 grocery stores. 

Use reusable rags for cleaning when possible instead of paper towels. Use concentrated cleaners and dilute instead of expensive cleaners (or make your own).

Rethink your meals. Animal proteins are expensive so consider vegetarian meals to substitute. Eggs for protein are cheaper than steak, etc. Dried beans are less expensive than canned. Fruits and veges are sold per pound usually. Consider if most of your produce is $4 per pound or $.70 per pound (buy seasonally). We don't eat meat, so we're good there! 

Good luck! It can be a whole new job researching all this.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

This is something that I already do! I'm pretty good at sticking to the list too.

My problem is that, for instance, I'll say "gee, I'm in the mood for stuffed peppers this week" so I'll write down all the ingredients and head to the store. But then (like yesterday) I get to the store, and I noticed (I would never have noticed this a month ago) that the cauliflower is BOGO this week! And I don't have all the ingredients memorized so I miss out on the cheap cauliflower!

Maybe start casually noticing when produce goes on sale? All the apples are on sale now, pears are getting cheaper, etc. and decide to cook depending on the season? I would think the stores have it all on their websites so you can check them before making your planned menus?

3 grocery stores? (insert fainting smiley here). Unless they a have super price differences from each other or are all equidistant from your home it would likely be pretty hard to save enough $ on gas/car maintenance to drive all around to 3 different stores. Remember you're spending $.50 or more per mile by some estimates driving just on vehicle wear and tear. Plus gas adds to it.

Or maybe you alternate each store a week or something. I get groceries once a week usually, and big box stores once a month or two.

Sounds like you're already doing a lot though. Hope someone else can come up with some good ideas!

Buy things that are not perishable, that you use constantly, when they are on sale, if you can. It wasn't on the list, but yesterday my wife received 2.5 kilos of FAB Detergent.  It was on sale and I know we will use it...  I try to keep my eyes open for specials like that.

3 grocery stores? (insert fainting smiley here). Unless they a have super price differences from each other or are all equidistant from your home it would likely be pretty hard to save enough $ on gas/car maintenance to drive all around to 3 different stores. Remember you're spending $.50 or more per mile by some estimates driving just on vehicle wear and tear. Plus gas adds to it.

There is one store that I pass at least once a day. It is on my way to the high school. It's 5 minutes max from my house. I stop there frequently "just to pick up a few things". 

My largest shopping of the week I usually do at a different store because I like the produce better and it's a larger store, so has better selection. 

The third store is Wegmans (insert singing choir of angels). I love that store. It's not close - about 12-15 min drive. They have out-of-this-world produce. it's where I go when I'm having a special meal that requires lots of produce (most of our meals since we're vegetarians). However my dd17 recently started working there so we are finding ourselves shopping there more and more often.

Buy things that are not perishable, that you use constantly, when they are on sale, if you can. It wasn't on the list, but yesterday my wife received 2.5 kilos of FAB Detergent.  It was on sale and I know we will use it...  I try to keep my eyes open for specials like that.

That's a really good idea. I've been waiting for that. Since I started this project, I haven't noticed laundry or dish detergent going on sale.

Oh that's another good example of generics that didn't quite work for me. I tried generic dish detergent and hated it, worked our way all the way up to Dawn before I was satisfied. Cheaper than Palmolive, anyway. Even with a coupon.

I shop by knowing everything's price by unit or ounce or pound. So I know what is my buy if needed price and what is a sale price. It makes it much easier when shopping at different stores or different brands. Like recently nutella has been 2.48 for the 13 ounce jar. The larger jar (26.5? ounce) has been 6.48, obviously in this case, 2 smaller jars is a better deal.And no matter how cheap the Hershey's version is, it is NEVER the better deal :lol: .

But I also learned that cheaper is not always better. Like paper products/ziploc bags. Doesn't mean you need the most expensive brand, just the best brand that works for your purposes. For foil, I buy store brand. For PT, I buy only certain brands and I know the best price for them (when I see it on sale I grab a couple). Cheaper brands of PT are a waste because I end up having to use more anyways.

Even if you don't want to stock up, I know that sales cycles follow about 3 months around here. So when mayo hits 1.99 per jar for Kraft brand I will get like 3-4 to last till the next sale. I don't buy a years worth, but enough so I don't have to pay 3.50/jar for the store brand because I am out. 

I actually wish I had stocked up on some things over the summer, but I forgot to this year. Some sales cycles are seasonal. Like charcoal, BBQ stuff in the summer and soup fixings in the winter. 

Can you see your store ads before you shop? If so, the on sale produce should be listed there.

Also I have recipes in my head and things I always have on hand for basics (tomato paste, spices, vinegar) so if I see cabbage is cheap I can make cabbage soup or rolls or stir fry or the like. Can you make a master list?

And then there is always buying in bulk for things like rice, beans, oatmeal. Winco is a good store for that or ordering online (I used Amazon for some things like WW flour).

There is one store that I pass at least once a day. It is on my way to the high school. It's 5 minutes max from my house. I stop there frequently "just to pick up a few things". 

If you want to shop smarter then stop doing this one thing^^^^. Unless it is a special occasion and you must have X or the dinner will be ruined. Otherwise rethink your plans for dinner to fit what you have. This is where having a "smartly" stocked pantry comes into play.

I shop by knowing everything's price by unit or ounce or pound. Whoa. Dude! This is what I"m talking about! How do you do that? Does it just come from years of shopping? Or did you have to refer to a written list like me? I'm so impressed by people who can do this! So I know what is my buy if needed price and what is a sale price. It makes it much easier when shopping at different stores or different brands. Like recently nutella has been 2.48 for the 13 ounce jar. The larger jar (26.5? ounce) has been 6.48, obviously in this case, 2 smaller jars is a better deal.And no matter how cheap the Hershey's version is, it is NEVER the better deal :lol: .

But I also learned that cheaper is not always better. Like paper products/ziploc bags. Uh oh you're making me nervous here. I always used Ziploc brand until last week and I bought generic. So far no problem and I'm wondering why I wasted money all those years on brand name. Doesn't mean you need the most expensive brand, just the best brand that works for your purposes. For foil, I buy store brand. For PT, I buy only certain brands and I know the best price for them (when I see it on sale I grab a couple). Cheaper brands of PT are a waste because I end up having to use more anyways.

Even if you don't want to stock up, I know that sales cycles follow about 3 months around here. Ok this is helpful. I'm hoping that I'll notice a trend after a while. So when mayo hits 1.99 per jar for Kraft brand I will get like 3-4 to last till the next sale. I don't buy a years worth, but enough so I don't have to pay 3.50/jar for the store brand because I am out. 

I actually wish I had stocked up on some things over the summer, but I forgot to this year. Some sales cycles are seasonal. Like charcoal, BBQ stuff in the summer and soup fixings in the winter. 

Can you see your store ads before you shop?Yes, I pull the Sunday circulars and write down some things that I'll want to get. Now I have to learn to write up my menu plan for the week with the circular in hand. I'm still stuck in the decide what to eat and see if any ingredients are on sale mode. If so, the on sale produce should be listed there.

Also I have recipes in my head and things I always have on hand for basics (tomato paste, spices, vinegar) so if I see cabbage is cheap I can make cabbage soup or rolls or stir fry or the like. Can you make a master list?

And then there is always buying in bulk for things like rice, beans, oatmeal. Winco is a good store for that or ordering online (I used Amazon for some things like WW flour).

Perhaps I should take my recipe box to the store with me too

If you want to shop smarter then stop doing this one thing^^^^. Unless it is a special occasion and you must have X or the dinner will be ruined. Otherwise rethink your plans for dinner to fit what you have. This is where having a "smartly" stocked pantry comes into play.

This is very good advice. I will challenge myself to stop doing this. Usually it's milk that I"m stopping for. Or Italian bread to go with dinner - the bread has to be fresh baked.But you're right - I go in for the milk or bread and come out with many other things.

This is very good advice. I will challenge myself to stop doing this. Usually it's milk that I"m stopping for. Or Italian bread to go with dinner - the bread has to be fresh baked.But you're right - I go in for the milk or bread and come out with many other things.

If you can stop and JUST get the milk you need do it, but it is the extras that get you. Even if I send DH and say I just need a gallon of milk, more than 50% of the time he also brings home x,y and z (all snacky stuff and usually not healthy).

Trying to quote you, but not working...

Uh oh you're making me nervous here. I always used Ziploc brand until last week and I bought generic. So far no problem and I'm wondering why I wasted money all those years on brand name.

Re this^, it all depends on the use for me. Long term freezing, I get ziploc. Just everyday use, generic. And it really depends on the store brand too.

ETA: Regarding knowing my prices it took time. That and I used to be an extreme couponer. :tongue_smilie:  Really. Like I had a whole binder full of coupons organized by aisles and got 10 newspapers a week. I quit when I got pg with the twins and never returned because the coupon game got to be not worth it (lower value coupons, more restrictions, less doubling ,etc).

I still have to update the "price list in my head" as prices rise (which they seem to do weekly :sneaky2: ).

I do use coupons but I tend to use them when something is BOGO. I won't buy something I don't normally buy just because I have a coupon unless I can use multiple coupons and there is some sort of sale.

There are websites that will give you information on matching coupons such as http://www.southernsavers.com/ and http://www.totallytarget.com/

You can find some organic coupons at http://www.organicdeals.com/ or  http://allnaturalsavings.com/

I don't get extreme with coupons. 

the largest size isn't always the cheapest per ounce - do the math.

for many items, bulk is a good deal.  we have a large container in the pantry- and a smaller one we refill in the kitchen at a convenient location.

buy staples - not convenience foods.

sometimes,  pay attention to prices.  even 10 for $1 when you only eat four is still cheaper than $.50 each.

Even if you don't want to stock up, I know that sales cycles follow about 3 months around here. So when mayo hits 1.99 per jar for Kraft brand I will get like 3-4 to last till the next sale. I don't buy a years worth, but enough so I don't have to pay 3.50/jar for the store brand because I am out. 

Can you see your store ads before you shop? If so, the on sale produce should be listed there.

Sale cycles are the single best way we stock up. We garden, and we buy half a cow (I know you don't eat meat), so I always have certain staples in the freezer or canned at home. Then I build around that. If you buy all of your food, you won't have to do that. However, you might build your stock around the store with the best prices (or best gas points, most easily available store, the best store brands, whatever). Once you decide to build your shopping habits around a particular store, then you keep a list of the best normal price and best sale price for those items at your primary and secondary stores. If your "regular" store doesn't have the best price for everything, you just kind of create a tier in your mind. For instance, your second choice for store overall might have the best frozen green beans or the best price. So, at your favorite store, you get just enough green beans to get you through until you get to the store that does have the best price. 

We vary our first choice of stores seasonally. In the summer, we have more garden produce, and we get a produce box from a specialty store that we don't visit as often the rest of the year. So, one of our other stores drops off our list, or we go less often, and it works out because we're maximizing what we buy from the other store with our garden, the store points system (we purchase yogurt to get points that use to discount organic dairy, for instance). 

We also plan our shopping habits around other needs. So, I might go to Kroger every week, but I might go on Tuesday this week because I have a doctor's appointment right next door. Week 2--my kid has occupational therapy on Thursday, so I might go to a DIFFERENT Kroger near OT, and I'll squeeze in a trip to Aldi while I'm right there. Or, I might make a once every 2 months run to Trader Joe's one week because we have an errand in that direction, and then I won't go to the other stores at all. For things that are store specific but not urgent, I keep a running list of "while we're there, we'll stock up on that" and plan our eating accordingly. 

For snacks or any kind of juice boxes and easy breakfast items, BTW, back to school is the best time to buy! Condiments and meat--around grilling holidays. Non-perishables--between Halloween and Christmas--stores often discount them because food pantries and churches are putting together holiday baskets for people who need them. Healthy (or healthy sounding) items at New Year's with all the resolutions. You'll see other patterns if you keep an eye out for them. 

Oh, it sounds like you like spreadsheets. Consider making a list of recipes down the left and ingredients across the top. Put a number in the applicable box to show how many of something you need per recipe. When you get it tweaked, keep it in your purse for a shopping guide, and check your pantry and fridge before you go shopping to see if you have enough of what you need for what you have in mind to cook.

Here are a few things I do to keep down our grocery costs:

I base our meals on what is on sale.  If grocery store xyz has potatoes on sale then we have potato soup or potato salad.

Often items are seasonal.  In the summer months I buy 6 months to 1 year worth of salad dressing because our grocery store carries it BOGO all summer.  In the winter months they don't put it on sale but also raise the price.  The same is true of mustard, mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce ect.  In the winter months I buy extra cans of beans, tomatoes and soup fixings to carry me through the summer.  It really doesn't take up that much space.

Limit grocery trips.  I ask myself if we have to have milk that night or can it wait a day or two.  Even delaying a trip by a day or two will save money.  I discovered this after adding up the receipts for our "quick grocery trips" for a month.

We like fresh bread or rolls with dinner.  I learned to make a basic recipe of both that doesn't require a bread machine and can be done in a little over an hour.  Instead of $3.00 for a package of rolls I can make them from scratch for a little over a dollar.  I have done this with a few other things.  I will stop at the store when we are pressed for time but try to be creative with my time so that I can do it myself.

You've received a lot of good ideas!

For me, menu planning is key. Then I try to shop just once a week. Those little trips can add up, especially if they are for things that would just be nice additions instead of required components of a meal. For instance, having salad with spaghetti, I might see that I forgot or ran out of tomatoes. I could run to the store, but it's better on my budget if I just make the salad without tomatoes. 

I use the calculator on my phone to check unit prices- the shelf tags have unit prices but all stores don't change the shelf tag when they change the price. 

I stock up on seasonal things. I buy canned pumpkin and chocolate chips to last me all year. Last week I made pumpkin bars with the last can of pumpkin I bought last year when it was on sale. I make dessert once a week and this was a pretty cheap one.  So during the holiday season, I stock up on things that will last- stuff that doesn't go on sale routinely.   Bonus: When someone needs a meal brought to them, I use my chips or pumpkin to add a dessert. Quick easy, and the main ingredient was bought at a discount!

And my best money saver- ALWAYS keep the ingredients for a quick meal on hand. That will save your budget on days you run out of time and can't make a meal that takes a long time.  I always have homemade pasta sauce in the freezer and dried pasta in the cabinet. Easy to toss those together and you'd be surprised how tasty ordinary bread turned into garlic bread is when you're tired and hungry.   A handful of quick meals will keep you from eating out. 

Generics are a mixed bag of quality. Generic trash bags? Great! Generic applesauce? Watery and useless. Try generic first for a product, but don't feel embarrassed to admit that something actually is of a quality lower than you wish to tolerate.

See, for me, I'd rather pay full price for garbage bags. The extra cost is worth never worrying about them breaking as I hustle down the stairs.

Applesauce? Meh, I can make it myself.

Thank you all so much! You have given me some really great ideas. It sounds like I mostly have to just start paying attention! And stop my many trips for just a few items! And I'm already pretty organized as far as recipes and meal plans, so now I have to start matching those things up with what is on sale. I'll start noticing the seasonal sales. This is all such good advice! Thank you!!!!

Thank you all so much! You have given me some really great ideas. It sounds like I mostly have to just start paying attention! And stop my many trips for just a few items! And I'm already pretty organized as far as recipes and meal plans, so now I have to start matching those things up with what is on sale. I'll start noticing the seasonal sales. This is all such good advice! Thank you!!!!

You mentioned up thread that you should take your recipe box with you. If you have a smart phone or tablet, perhaps you could put all your recipes into an app like Paprika.  Then you could even use it to make out your menu and grocery list, though I don't use mine for that. You'd have the recipes handy so that when you came upon something on sale, like that cauliflower, you could easily look up whatever else you'd need to go with your recipe.

The third store is Wegmans (insert singing choir of angels). I love that store. It's not close - about 12-15 min drive. They have out-of-this-world produce. it's where I go when I'm having a special meal that requires lots of produce (most of our meals since we're vegetarians). However my dd17 recently started working there so we are finding ourselves shopping there more and more often.

This made me laugh.  We love Wegman's.  It's a similar drive for us, but the produce, oh, the produce!  And the allergy-friendly food...  :001_wub:

You mentioned up thread that you should take your recipe box with you. If you have a smart phone or tablet, perhaps you could put all your recipes into an app like Paprika.  Then you could even use it to make out your menu and grocery list, though I don't use mine for that. You'd have the recipes handy so that when you came upon something on sale, like that cauliflower, you could easily look up whatever else you'd need to go with your recipe.

I don't have a smart phone. Yet. Oh no, another great reason to get one. But then I think of the monthly bill. Trying hard not to go there. Dh and ds22 have smart phones. Two are enough. Hold me back. I really really want one...

I don't have a smart phone. Yet. Oh no, another great reason to get one. But then I think of the monthly bill. Trying hard not to go there. Dh and ds22 have smart phones. Two are enough. Hold me back. I really really want one...

The cost has kept me back from a smart phone for years too.  I'm on a prepaid plan and I average $6.00 a month.  I discovered I can get a smart phone and just turn off the data (the most expensive part with my prepaid plan) but have the features of a calendar, a camera, my grocery/to-do list, a real keyboard (I have a flip phone, texting with a number keypad is no fun).  I would have to turn on the data or be in a free wi-fi area to get e-mail or surf the web but those aren't the things I'm wanting a smartphone for (at least I tell myself that, reality may turn out differently).  Anyways for Christmas I will be getting a used iphone (waiting for all the people who have bought the iphone6 to get their new ones and sell off the old ones).  Just wanted to let you know their are other options besides being tied into a super expensive 2 year contract.

We are lucky here in Aus the stores have to display a unit price and percent off if there's a sales. So often Shops run a sale that is only 10per cent off on impulse buy type foods. When they have to mark the savings it's so much easier to think... Oh that's only 5c off - not enough of a sale.

I think stocking up is useful but only on things you know won't get eaten just because. No point stocking up on chips or chocolate but go to town on tinned tomatoes, dried pasta etc.

I am trying to figure out the balance with clothes myself. Typical savings advice is buy a season ahead. But I did it last year and then the kids got a heap of hand me downs and I ended up just ending up with excess clothes. But then it hurts when you don't buy ahead and you have to pay full price for shoes etc. trying to get the balance between paying full price and over buying is hard.

With fresh produce it helps to be adaptable. Thai chicken curry tastes good with broccoli instead of beans. Salad can use any kind of fresh greens it doesn't have to be cos. chefs do this stuff all the time and call it a twist on a typical recipe. For me I plan my meals based on meat in the freezer, stock up on meat on sale and just modify the meals to include what veges are on sale.

Many great suggestions already here.

Stocking up is great just because you know you will use it and the price to buy it now is much better for your wallet than buying later when you run out.

This week Publix is having BOGO on pasta and I have coupons I bought from online clipping services which will bring down my cost from 1.39 regular price per box to 36 cents per box. I am absolutely stocking up on this and I will buy more than 10 boxes at this price. Many things can be bought at half the price and something at 75% off. The trick is to watch circulars what is going on sale and know what you use and buy in larger quantities then usual.

When toilet paper was on sale few months back with manufacturer coupons and store coupons (some stores allow stacking coupons)- that was a great deal I could not pass up. Now I have toilet paper under all of my kids beds- and I know I won't have to buy it anytime soon.

Sometimes you have to be willing to try something new in order to get a bit of variety and save money at the same time. Fresh produce is very hard to save with. That is something you probably buy what is in season for the best savings. There is no point in paying $5 for a pint of blueberries in the middle of the winter if you can buy 3 pints for $4 during the summer. I usually stock up on frozen fruit (blueberry, raspberry, cherry, etc.) when the stores have them BOGO, usually in the summer.

I rarely buy anything generic unless it is something that is really good (Publix Greenwise milk goes on sale regularly and they put out coupons many times)  since I can  buy the same item brand name way cheaper.