Menu

What "healthy" snacks (or meals) were you surprised to discover your kids love?

6packofun

Miss E adores beans.  Miss A (a picky eater) likes lemons and other citrus fruit, granny smith apples, Indian curry, and certain lentil snacks (don't tell her they are lentils).  Both liked grapefruit when they tasted it (I don't keep it around because I don't like it).  They claim to hate nuts, but they love pistachios.  (Didn't realize pistachios were nuts.)  They prefer hummus to peanut butter these days.  They like yogurt.  When I was a kid, I thought most of the above were yucky.

After having 2 kids who hate broccoli, it was surprising to have dd7 who loves it so much that when I make it, I have to plan an extra serving just for her. 

DD15 loves green beans.  In fact last night when she was doing homework, she opened up a can and ate them for a snack. 

DS20 loves sushi.  I am the only other one in my family who will eat sushi, so the kids have never had it.  It was surprising for him to come home and say that he and his friends went for a snack of sushi during a study session.

I can't claim surprise b/c it's been the case forever with my younger 4, but they're very happy to munch on fruit and raw vegetables all day long.  It's actually a financial problem for me.  They also love to graze on any type of granola-like stuff.  And plain or lightly flavored yogurt from a local farm.

They still adore all forms of junk food and will usually choose it over the good stuff if available, but there aren't many complaints when it's not.

Sliced raw purple cabbage!

Hahaha, I was just going to say raw plain cabbage. Someone often grabs a raw chunk when I'm cutting it to make cole slaw.

Also, 12yo has been eating raw green beans lately, although she gets that one from her dad who always eats a few when he's picking them in the garden.