Menu

What causes the difference in pain tolerance?

creekland

I've found myself quite curious about this lately.   What causes the difference in pain tolerance levels between Person A and Person B.  Are there any theories?

Why can one sibling be fine for shots or blood draws and another be in horrid pain?

It's not just shots as I'm thinking those could be mental, but why can one tolerate a certain level of "hot" water and another can't (doing dishes/showers, etc)?

I seem to recall Mythbusters doing a segment on this and coming up with "something" (horrid memory that I have, I can't quite remember the exact conclusion). 

Does anyone know?

I know the shots thing is the same in ponies.  Some will stand quietly for them from a young age without any training and others go haywire if they feel one even into their old age.  (Then there are others where it IS mental since they are perfectly fine if I sneak one in while they are eating, but not if they see the needle.  :glare: )

I've always wondered as well, so I'll be listening.

My dds are opposite. Oldest seems to think things are often painful and I never know how serious to take her.

Youngest rarely thinks anything is painful and scares us if she complains or cries due to pain. I think she's only cried twice due to pain; once at the dentist and once when she was bit by a dog. She's never had a problem with shots while oldest still works herself up, but at least she no longer cries.

ETA: We've just recently realized oldest has some anxiety issues we were never award of, so maybe that's part of what makes things seem more painful to her. It could just be all mental. Youngest has zero worries and lets things roll right off her.

a couple things.

redheads have more pain receptors in the skin.  there are medical studies showing repeatedly that they have greater perception of physical pain.  they also can need analgesics in a higher does to achieve the same effect.

a vitamin/mineral deficiency.  vitamin d3 and/or magnesium, can decrease pain tolerance.

my pain tolerance will vary on occasion.  I've had times I remembering wondering why I was being so pain intolerant when I didn't have problems "before".

my son can work himself into a tizzy at the thought of a needle - but that is psychological and I have figured out ways to help him cope.  (I throw a blanket over his head like a 'tent', and give him my phone to play games on for a distraction. he does better if his big brother is holding him too.  it actually worked better than the cartoon or whatever playing the dr used to use.)

This isn’t meant as a criticism, but I would be careful in suggesting that the perceived pain “is just mentalâ€.  Brain imaging studies have recently shown that things once thought to be just mental constructs are actually operating at a much lower level in the brain – the level below conscious control.  I do think that fear can heightened the actual pain response.

a couple things.

redheads have more pain receptors in the skin.  there are medical studies showing repeatedly that they have greater perception of physical pain.  they also can need analgesics in a higher does to achieve the same effect.

I didn't know this! My oldest is a redhead and she's the one who feels pain often.

Interesting question. Personally, for me and in observing those around me, when pain is an adjunct to a higher goal - when it comes with reason - it is more tolerable. No pain, no gain, kwim? It's when it is unexpected that I feel, I dunno, violated? That would explain pain thresholds varying within an individual, maybe not between individuals.

I had some difficult pregnancies that required more of me than my first easy pregnancy. Because everything ultimately affected the babies, I could grit my teeth and endure it. Going through similar procedures for fixing body parts when a baby was not part of the scenario? I wanted those pain meds!

I wonder about the temperature tolerance.  In casual observations of years of working for Starbucks, I did notice that I could spill an entire americano on myself and have a less dramatic reaction than someone getting a milk splatter on their hand.  It makes me think of the extreme temperature swimmers.  I would assume there is more to it than mind over matter.  My DS always complained about bathwater that, to me, seemed tepid at best.  DD never did.  DD ended up with a spinal tap because of a "fever" as a newborn that was no more than being wrapped in two blankets.  She has always been "hot blooded" as it were.  While DS can swim in the middle of summer and his lips will turn blue.

I don't know. I have a very high pain tolerance so whe I was in the accident, despite the seriousness of my injuries I didn't ask for pain meds. But the hospital nurses eventually said I had to have them because they could tell by vital signs, especially respirations and my anxiety level that I was in a lot of pain and it was going to hamper my recovery. I couldn't sleep once it was time for me to do that and it was all pain, yet I didn't perceive it as that painful. So what the body was going through and what the brain was registering were two different things.

Even now, I have to be careful to not use pain as my guide because I will do way too much and end up paying for it later. Dd is just like me. When her ovarian cyst was found, it was the size of a cantelope and pressing dangerously against her spinal column, pushing her organs out of place. Yet she only felt a little mild, lower back ache occasionally! Her obgyn said it never would have become so big if she had possessed a normal pain tolerance because she would have been in the office wanting to know what was wrong when it was only the size of an egg.

Dh and our youngest boy have normal pain tolerance levels which has served them well in terms of diagnostic criteria. The middle boy inherited my trait, and is now on the couch with a concussion which he was not taken to the ER for when it happened at a youth event because he did not accurately describe his head pain. They never even called us because they honestly did not think he was hurt. After he came home he said, "I have a headache." He was a cool as ice, then walked to the bathroom and began vomitting. GAH!!!

I have no idea what causes this. It is definitely an inheritable dna thing. MY mom has a ridiculously high pain tolerance, and my dad is the opposite spectrum and needs lots of pain meds and monitoring in order to keep his blood pressure and heart rate down after mild injuries and medical procedures. His heart surgery was brutal because he would max out the top end of what was safe to give him, and only get mild relief. They ended up having to sedate him longer than normal protocol. My sister inherited this and it came down through his mother's side. Thankfully, his medical team took it seriously and did the best by him that they possibly could without putting him at risk.

My physical therapist gets frustrated with my tolerance. I don't know what to say. He has to guess how hard he should push me because I simply do not feel enough and a few times we did too many reps of some exercises, and I paid for it later. At the time, it didn't register. I think I must be able to concentrate so hard that I block it out or something. Now he goes with standard protocol for severe forms of my injury so we can't overdue it. Sometimes he has to tap me and say, "Stop! You are doing too much." Grrrr....it would be nice to be more "normal" in this regard. Dd the medic has learned through her medical training and then the surgery, that she needs to think of things from a standpoint of what would be "the average" and not push beyond that if she is sick or injured even if she feels pretty good or has limited pain.

Dad I worry about a lot. He may have to endure another lung surgery and these things ae just hell for him because of not being able to adequately control his pain

This isn’t meant as a criticism, but I would be careful in suggesting that the perceived pain “is just mentalâ€.  Brain imaging studies have recently shown that things once thought to be just mental constructs are actually operating at a much lower level in the brain – the level below conscious control.  I do think that fear can heightened the actual pain response.

I fully agree that mental thoughts can increase pain.  However, with ponies I can make a distinction easily.  Those with it being purely mental don't even jump when I give them a shot while they are distracted eating and didn't see the needle.  They never felt it without seeing it first.  Those with pain intolerance still jump away from me, I just get a "jump" on them giving it to them while they're standing instead of having them try to run away at first sight.  I need to be super quick as it can be dangerous.

I assume it's similar for people, but will admit I've never tested it!

I wonder about the temperature tolerance.  In casual observations of years of working for Starbucks, I did notice that I could spill an entire americano on myself and have a less dramatic reaction than someone getting a milk splatter on their hand.  It makes me think of the extreme temperature swimmers.  I would assume there is more to it than mind over matter.  My DS always complained about bathwater that, to me, seemed tepid at best.  DD never did.  DD ended up with a spinal tap because of a "fever" as a newborn that was no more than being wrapped in two blankets.  She has always been "hot blooded" as it were.  While DS can swim in the middle of summer and his lips will turn blue.

I know I prefer my hot showers or hot tubs to be hotter than anyone in the family.  They do not like me getting their water ready for them.  However, they will swim in colder water than I will.

Hubby can eat hotter foods (temperature hot) than I can.  He also has fewer taste buds though (likes more foods and more spice), so perhaps that is related?

There is a genetic basis, like above about redheads.  

Part of it might be experience, too.  I've had a LOT of surgeries and injuries, so unless I might actually be dying, I don't really show when I'm in pain.  I'm good at controlling it.  If I'm asked what my pain is on a scale of 1-10, I usually answer "Compared to what?"  :lol:   I've been turned away at labor & delivery because they didn't think I was in enough pain.  That didn't work out so well.  

My little strawberry blonde redheads definitely complain about pain more, but some might be personality. 

a couple things.

a vitamin/mineral deficiency.  vitamin d3 and/or magnesium, can decrease pain tolerance.

I'm thinking it may have been the redhead thing that Mythbusters tested now that you mention it.  I wonder if those receptors are also more dense in others with low tolerance?

And did you mean having adequate d3 and magnesium decrease pain tolerance or being deficient in them decrease it?

I don't know. I have a very high pain tolerance so whe I was in the accident, despite the seriousness of my injuries I didn't ask for pain meds. But the hospital nursee eventually said I had to have them because they could tell by vital signs, especially respirations and my anxiety level that I was in a lot of pain and it was going to hamper my recovery. I couldn't sleep once it was time for me to do that and it was all pain, yet I didn't perceive it as that painful. So what the body was going througb and what the brain was registering were two different things.

Even now, have to be careful to not use pain as my guide because I will do way too much and end up paying for it later. Dd is just like me. When her ovarian cyst was found, it was the size of a cantelope and pressing dangerously against her spinal column and pushing her organs out of place. Yet she only felt a little mild, lower back ache occasionally! Her obgyn said it never would have become so big if she had possessed a normal pain tolerance because she would have been in the office wanting to know what was wrong when it was only the size of an egg.

Dh and our boy have normal pain tolerance levels which has served them well in terms of diagnostic criteria. The middle boy inherited my trait, and is now on the couch with a concussion whih he was not taken to the ER for when it happened at a youth event because he did not accurately describe his head pain. They never even called us becauze they honestly did not think he was hurt. After he came home he said, "I have a headache." He was a cool as ice, then walked to the bathroom and began vomitting. GAH!!!

I have no idea what causes this. It is definitely an inheritable dna thing.MY mom has a ridiculously high pain tolerance, and my dad is the opposite spectrum and needs lots of pain meds and monitoring in order to keep his blood pressure and eart rate down after mild injuries and medical procedures. His heart surgery was brutal because he would max out the top end of what was safe to give him, and only get mild relief. They endex up having to sedate him longer than normal protocol. My sister inherited this and it came down through his mother's side. Thankfully, his medical team too it seriously an did the best by him that they possibly could without putting him at risk.

My physical therapist gets frustrated with my tolerance. I don't know what to say. He has to guess how hard he should push me because I simply do not feel enough and a few times we did too many reps of some exercises and I paid for it later. At the time, it didn't register. I think I must be able to concentrate so hard that I block it out or something. Now he goes with standard protocol for severe forms of my injury so we can't overdue it. Sometimes he has to tap me and say, "Stop! You are doing too much." Grrrr....it would be nice to be more "normal" in this regard. Dd the medic has learned through her medical training and then the surgery, that she needs to think of things from a standpoint of what would be "the average" and not push beyond that if she is sick or injured even if she feels pretty good or limited pain.

Dad I worry about a lot. He may have to endure another lung surgery and these things ae just hell or him because of not being able to adequately control his pain

Interesting... it does sound genetic a bit... but interesting in how it can really affect things in bad ways at both extremes.  I wish you all well on your recovery and your dad well if he ends up needing more surgery.  :grouphug:

I've no idea where I fit in on the spectrum.  I generally feel I'm a wuss, but shots and things don't bother me, so who knows?

I have had the same discussion with my painanagement team. It is really interesting to watch the people over the years in the waiting room. Some you can just tell from their move nuts, facial expressions, tone of voice, and other body language that they deal with severe pain. Others, who most definitely have serious physical issues that must result in a lot of pain it is much harder.

My doctor who specializes in pain management says it is a combination of things. The number of pain receptors, what their previous exposure to pain history is and how often, and their physical and mental status. By mental status, I don't mean that the pain is 'in their head' as in imaginary...but chronic pain takes its toll on brain chemistry. This is one of the reasons that antidepressants can be very useful in controlling pain. It took me a long time to understand that.

Also interesting is the pain scale. You know, the relative one where a patient says from 1-10 how much pain they are in? My doctor says they actually go more by the physiological signs that what the patient reports, but that if a patient claims their back ache is a '10' it might very well be the case for them. I have actually only experienced what I would call a 10 one time. I was attempting to pass kidney stones that ultimately required intervention, and thrashing so hard I dislocated one of my hips (previous problems). It was a bad day:)

If I'm asked what my pain is on a scale of 1-10, I usually answer "Compared to what?"  :lol:   

That's always my first thought too!  How in the world is one supposed to answer that question???  One would need a bit of experience to answer that question and I, personally, don't feel like purposely doing enough to answer it properly!  If pressed, I'll admit to pulling numbers out of my head - usually my "favorite" numbers like 2 and 4.

Some thoughts based on my own experience with pain.

If you have chronic pain like I do, your brain can turn off or down some pain receptors in the area as a coping device.  I still feel pain but at a lower generalized level when doctors have told me that I should have been screaming.  But other times I have more pain because my muscles are already tight from being in chronic pain and if a small owie is added to that, it sends me over my threshold.  A lot of times I know that I'm in worse pain because of stuff like nausea, not the pain itself.  

Distraction definitely helps to lesson the sensation of pain.  The problem that causes the pain is still there but it helps not to think actively about it.  This is not because the pain was fake or "all in my head".  It is because certain brain chemicals like endorphins actually help the body deal with the pain like some kind of internal medicine.

I am really sensitive to cold but it is because my muscles (which are already overtensed) tense some more with the cold.  I can tolerate heat better because the muscles will actually relax.  

Oh, and after seeing my niece, who was born with a genetic disease that left her unable to feel pain in her extremeties, put her calf on a hot burner and not notice until you could smell flesh cooking, I believe we are born with a wide range of ability to feel pain. It isn't all or nothing, but rather a wide spectrum over the population.

I'm also super sensitive to anesthesia as they found out when they gave me a half dose of an epidural (because I told them that I was super sensitive to that sort of thing) and I was numb up to my neck.  That freaked them out a bit.  I have no idea why.

I'm the opposite on that one (as is my mom).  It always takes us more than usual amounts at places like the dentist and it takes longer for them to work - occasionally longer to wear off too.  I've wondered if circulation was the issue, but it's pure guesswork.

This whole discussion is quite interesting - far more than what I was expecting.  I appreciate those who have shared.

I've seen some chronic pain kids at school and they've always impressed me with what they put up with.  I guess it's not like they have a choice, but still...

My little one underreacts to sensory input, and as a result has a high pain tolerance. It's actually scary because several times she turned out to be more seriously injured than we initially thought given her reaction. So now we have to go to the pediatrician or after hours clinic just to be on the safe side any time there is a possibility of an injury.

My little one underreacts to sensory input, and as a result has a high pain tolerance. It's actually scary because several times she turned out to be more seriously injured than we initially thought given her reaction. So now we have to go to the pediatrician or after hours clinic just to be on the safe side any time there is a possibility of an injury.

I've realized that both extremes are out there and that both can be bad.  I'm glad you (and a couple others) have shared so we can all benefit from the knowledge.

With working at school, I never know what tidbit of knowledge I'll need.  This one does make me glad I insisted a lad go see the nurse once after he came to me showing off a shop injury (my class was right after his shop class).  I'll admit my reasoning was to get it all on paper not knowing what might come of it, but if he'd been pain tolerant and actually needed more care... (he got it at the nurse - came back with it cared for and bandaged).

I had a student who had this issue. It was so... unexpected. He used to overreact to small pain (screaming, complaining about someone running into him) but underreacted when he was once seriously injured at school. We sent him home so he could go to the hospital for an injury while he was like, it's nothing, I'm fine and we were like, we're sure it is, but it looked bad, blah blah blah. Turned out it was quite a serious injury. It was a little jarring to realize that someone's sense of pain could be so different from everyone else's.

I'm sure it's too complex for one answer. I think there is an element of mind over matter for some people, but that there isn't for others and that genetics and other conditions play into it as well.

I'm sure it's too complex for one answer. I think there is an element of mind over matter for some people, but that there isn't for others and that genetics and other conditions play into it as well.

This may be why it's become such an interesting thread topic.  I thought I would get "basic" (medical) answers, but there's a bit more to it worthy of considering in my curiosity.

That's always my first thought too!  How in the world is one supposed to answer that question???  One would need a bit of experience to answer that question and I, personally, don't feel like purposely doing enough to answer it properly!  If pressed, I'll admit to pulling numbers out of my head - usually my "favorite" numbers like 2 and 4.

I usually respond "Well, if having a large baby's head pulled out of you while your swollen cervix is pushed back for three hours is a 9, then I guess I'm ok."  :lol:

With anesthesia-I react badly.  I get terribly nauseous, don't snap out of it for almost a day, and it doesn't take much to put me out.  I was doing some DNA evaluation and found out I have this mutation that can cause anesthesia to put me into malignant hypothermia.  Freaky.

One thing that I think makes it even harder to answer is how people express pain can be so different. Two people might be feeling about the same amount of pain, but one is stoic and the other likes to complain or moan because that helps them process it and get through it. But how do you know?

I don't know. I have a very high pain tolerance so whe I was in the accident, despite the seriousness of my injuries I didn't ask for pain meds. 

sometimes a high adrenalin level will mask pain. (mask as in- you don't notice it is there, but it is.) that adrenalin level will eventually crash.

This is very interesting to me.  I have a very high tolerance for pain and heat but can't handle cold.  I also require larger than normal amounts of medication for pain relief or anesthesia but there is a threshold for what my body can handle and going over it even the tiniest bit can have a pretty negative outcome (doctors have said I am a very difficult patient because it is such a fine line).

My older child seems to have a fairly normal pain tolerance but a huge aversion to blood and injury so her reactions can be over the top (I can tell because she reacts as expected to injuries that she doesn't see).

My younger daughter seems to have an abnormally high pain tolerance.  She will react normally to small injuries but major injuries leave her silent and almost indifferent.  It took us a few years to realize that if she is crying she is fine, if we think she should be crying and she isn't something is probably really wrong.

This is very interesting to me.  I have a very high tolerance for pain and heat but can't handle cold.

This brings up another thought for me... my comfort zone for air temp is 50 - 80 F (10 - 27 for our C readers), BUT if I have to go outside of that, I prefer cold to hot.  With cold I guess I can add more clothes.  With hot, well, there's only so much one can strip.  Given a choice between 20 and 90 degrees, I'll take 20.  I detest sweating.

But with water (swimming, etc), I definitely prefer hot to cold and will not take cold showers or swim in cold water (without a wet suit).  Anything less than 80 degrees in water temp is too cold for me to want to swim in.

This brings up another thought for me... my comfort zone for air temp is 50 - 80 F (10 - 27 for our C readers), BUT if I have to go outside of that, I prefer cold to hot. With cold I guess I can add more clothes. With hot, well, there's only so much one can strip. Given a choice between 20 and 90 degrees, I'll take 20. I detest sweating.

But with water (swimming, etc), I definitely prefer hot to cold and will not take cold showers or swim in cold water (without a wet suit). Anything less than 80 degrees in water temp is too cold for me to want to swim in.

I feel exactly the same way on all counts.

a couple things.

redheads have more pain receptors in the skin. there are medical studies showing repeatedly that they have greater perception of physical pain. they also can need analgesics in a higher does to achieve the same effect.

a vitamin/mineral deficiency. vitamin d3 and/or magnesium, can decrease pain tolerance.

my pain tolerance will vary on occasion. I've had times I remembering wondering why I was being so pain intolerant when I didn't have problems "before".

my son can work himself into a tizzy at the thought of a needle - but that is psychological and I have figured out ways to help him cope. (I throw a blanket over his head like a 'tent', and give him my phone to play games on for a distraction. he does better if his big brother is holding him too. it actually worked better than the cartoon or whatever playing the dr used to use.)

Oh, this is SO true! Too bad my husband doesn't understand this as he thinks I am just a wimp I think. Good to know it's been proven! I have sensitive everything...my mom cut my hair short when I was a kid because she said I screamed when she brushed my hair (naturally curly and I have memories of her yanking it with a comb of all things), sensitive skin, and even a sensitive heart, I seem to feel things deeper than most and that's sometimes good but usually bad. I'm just sensitive all around.

And don't get me started on actual pain tolerance...I have none! God only knows why I have 5 kids because it was horrific each and every time. I remember the nurses telling me that redheads always have it worse....great! But I do get comments about my beautiful red hair all the time, so that's a plus :-)

I don't even know what to say about the pain scale thing. I mean they asked me at the hospital and I said a five, meanwhile my blood pressure was skyrocketing, labored breathing, and shock from the pain with only a tiny internal bleed that didn't need to be surgically repaired, but terrible soft tissue injuries, especially ligament damage and chest trauma. Ds said he was a 9 because he was in horrific pain, but since he'd never been in that kind of pain before he didn't know if it was actually a 10. He got morphine in the ambulance, and then again at the hospital. I was lolling along showing signs of really bad pain but not feeling the need for pain meds until they moved me to the gurney to be put in my room upstairs. They moved the hip that was lacerated from the seatbelt and then it hit me. This hurts. I didn't think it was bad, but apparently the monitors jumped, and I cried out a little bit which the trauma doc took to mean she's in a lot of pain, and bam, I had IV morphine. Really folks, if you are offered IV morphine, say yes please. Don't fight it. It is soooooo nice. Once you get it, you can actually sleep. It's a blessed thing, LOL!

I do remember once the morphine wore off I was hurting a lot. But again, I didn't really know how to rate it. The nurses would come in and ask and I would think, "Well goodness. Ds has a shattered femur and he must be in excruciating pain so he must be a 10. If I rate it against that, then well, I guess a 5." DD had come home from New Jersey to take care of me, and would look at the nurse and say, "My mom's 5 is an 8 for normal people, so I think we should push pain meds or she is never going to sleep because she won't connect the two issues together."

I would love to have a scientific explanation for this; I don't think it's lack of pain receptors except maybe in our brains because we do register the pain, and our vitals and physical indicators show we are in pain. Our brains just don't seem to pick up on how bad it is, and the worst thing is that every once in a while, it just suddenly does get through and it takes our breath away...it is literally incapacitating in the moment because there wasn't all that much warning. I really do not like it.

How on earth am I supposed to answer these questions???? I'm broken or something. If you ever hear me mention that I'm in pain, it's really bad. Actually, when I came home from the hospital, I got out of taking pain meds regularly, and it did hit me then. Hard. Like a ton of bricks. I did not expect to be in that much pain. My stupid body just does not interpret the signals correctly most of the time, and then when it does come online and actually work, YOWZA!

Somebody study me!

This brings up another thought for me... my comfort zone for air temp is 50 - 80 F (10 - 27 for our C readers), BUT if I have to go outside of that, I prefer cold to hot.  With cold I guess I can add more clothes.  With hot, well, there's only so much one can strip.  Given a choice between 20 and 90 degrees, I'll take 20.  I detest sweating.

But with water (swimming, etc), I definitely prefer hot to cold and will not take cold showers or swim in cold water (without a wet suit).  Anything less than 80 degrees in water temp is too cold for me to want to swim in.

Wow, Creekland, in this regard, I think we are twins separated at birth or something. :D

Really folks, if you are offered IV morphine, say yes please. Don't fight it. It is soooooo nice. 

This is a big NO here.  When I was nine I was in a sledding accident and was given morphine.  I ended up in the hospital for an extra day beyond what was needed for the accident and a stern warning from a doctor telling me that when I was older and potentially interested in trying illegal drugs that I should absolutely stay away from heroin as one try could kill me.  He then warned my parents against pain meds containing codeine too.

Fast forward quite a few moons and I've been asked about that incident a bit lately.  I was NINE and not conscious for a good part of it all.  That's all I remember - and I never did try heroin... or codeine.

I've been told multiple times that morphine allergies are often misdiagnosed, so it's probable that mine was, but you know what?  I'd rather NOT test it personally.  I recall that doctor's warning way too much.  I've actually even wondered if he did it just to attempt to keep another teen off drugs later - if so, it worked!

(And my parents don't remember more about it either - the hospital said they MIGHT have records somewhere down in their basement, but weren't sure...)

But... if it works for you, I'm glad (seriously).  ;)

In a strange coincidence, DS8 just showed me a small article in the National Geographic about redheads and pain. It says they are also more difficult to anesthetize.

Oh yikes! I don't even want to think about that. My MIL is a redhead. She's never had surgery, but she's 78 so tick tock, the clock is working against her on that.

Good to know. I'll tell my husband so he can keep that in mind since he is her next of kin, and goes with her to a lot of her medical appointments.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a ridiculous and sometimes problematic pain tolerance.

I remember separating my shoulder once at martial arts. I got back up and continued practicing, because it didn't really hurt that badly. I also sat around with appendicitis until it ruptured, got infected, and I fainted, because I didn't feel it really hurt badly enough to go to the doctor.

I'm a lot more willing to go now that I know this is abnormal :p

I don't know, but much like FaithManor I have an abnormally high pain tolerance.  In my thread about head and neck pain yesterday I said that I am typically at a 6-8 on the pain scale every day.  A 6-8 for me would be non-functional for most people given my observations over the years.  My husband was at a full 10 last year when he crushed his finger and ripped the nail off while cutting down a tree.  I do not begrudge him that; it LOOKED like it really hurt.  Several years ago I was ice skating and did very nearly the same thing though and I didn't even notice it until someone looked at me and said, "OH MY GOSH YOU'RE BLEEDING ALL OVER THE ICE!!!"  Yup, from mid-nail all the way down it was just gone with nothing but nail bed showing.  The whole thing was just crushed.  Even once I looked at it I still had no indication that it hurt at all.  I just thought, "huh... that looks like it should hurt but I don't feel anything."  The doctor thought I was crazy on that one.  That isn't the first or last time I've had similar things happen. 

Last week at the chiropractor the Dr. made a comment that I should mention if he's working me too hard because it's not a contest to be able to handle the most pain.  I had to explain to him that I really wasn't trying to avoid telling him out of some sort of misplaced desire to look strong, but I honestly don't register the pain.

Someone upthread mentioned that they know when they're really in pain because of other indicators like nausea and I am TOTALLY like that, too.  I know when my neck pain is at a critical level when I feel like I'm going to vomit. 

My son and husband are the only ones who can take one look at me and tell that I'm in pain.  I go deep within myself with an increase in pain and just stop responding to much.  Or I start to giggle.  (I was in labor with dd and laughing up a storm from the pain and the labor nurses thought I should go into a straight jacket.)

Creek, I can't have codeine or any derivatives.  Does that include morphine?  I never thought of it but then I've never been offered it either. 

Creek, I can't have codeine or any derivatives.  Does that include morphine?  I never thought of it but then I've never been offered it either. 

My medical knowledge is pretty close to nil once you get beyond basic first aid and/or "leg bone is connected to the - thigh bone."

I'm only repeating what I heard when I was nine.  It was one of those memories that really left an impression whether it was due to the accident, the head injury, the talk of DEATH, or anything else.  It wasn't the hotness factor of the doctor.  He was an older guy with gray hair - no clue if I ever knew his name or not.  Besides, at age nine I don't think hotness factor had entered my world.  I was rather, um, active, so getting actually HURT in an accident brought a little bit of respect for things into my thoughts.  Not much though.  I still did a lot of things on horseback that I wouldn't imagine doing now - like hopping on problem horses to see if they were a problem for me...

At school, Anatomy is the one science class I need tons of assistance to fill in for, and while middle son did it here homeschooling, he did it totally on his own.

I can do a bit of wound fixing with horses though, does that count for anything?  It doesn't involve much in drugs... nor knowledge in how the few I do use work (bute, sulphas, a "silver spray," & penicillin mainly).

At times when I'm in pain all over, I have a hard time isolating the individual locations of the pain.  It's like I'm getting all this sensory static and can't isolate any one strand.  I had a doctor numb certain areas once so that I could then tell him if other areas were in pain or not.  It was amazing how when he did that, individual areas did register as being in quite a bit of pain.  But I couldn't really tell him until then.  

At times when I'm in pain all over, I have a hard time isolating the individual locations of the pain.  It's like I'm getting all this sensory static and can't isolate any one strand.  I had a doctor numb certain areas once so that I could then tell him if other areas were in pain or not.  It was amazing how when he did that, individual areas did register as being in quite a bit of pain.  But I couldn't really tell him until then.  

Hmm, I don't really know whether to mention that we do this in horses fairly often to try to isolate what, specifically, is bothering them if they don't get over lameness in a certain amount of time.  The vet does it.  They block certain receptors starting from the bottom and working up until the horse isn't lame any longer.

And even then, sometimes they still can't tell.  One of my broodmares is always lame and no one can figure out why.  She was an extremely good show pony, and fortunately, passes on her great movement (without lameness) to her offspring - or at least she did with her first this year.

Incidentally, she's one of my super pain intolerant mares - goes into a tizzy over shots and can be quite dangerous.  We do our best to work around it.  I'm hoping she's a little better now that she's experienced birth. Time will tell when it comes to pre-foaling shots next year.  Hopefully she won't have any pain inducing medical issues before then!

I've only read a few of the replies, but I did read Faith's post.  I am so sorry that horrible accident happened to you and your son, Faith. 

Maybe some people's brains react to pain by divorcing awareness from the nervous system.  Does that make sense?  Faith describes not being able to tell that she is not able to sleep because she is not aware she is in pain.  Yet, her brain won't let her sleep.

When I was young, I had a lot of hip surgeries.  I was put on a medication schedule because I would not ask for pain meds. until the pain was so bad the meds. wouldn't work.  My mom scolded me for it and said I had to ask sooner.  But, I didn't feel it until it was really bad.

My mom also talks about the time I got my ears pierced.  I was terrified that it would hurt and apparently put myself in some sort of trance.  She said both her and the guy piercing my ears waved a hand in front of my face with no response.  All I remember is that I found a painting to look at and stared at it.  Similar things happened during other moments of pain and/or fear.

Oldest ds is the opposite.  He feels things intensely.  Over the years, I have worked with him on putting his mind somewhere else to divorce from the pain.  He also went through a lot of sensory integration therapy as young child.  The intensity of pain has subsided somewhat for him, but he still feels it more readily and deeply than the average person. 

I guess it's a difference in how the brain works.  I do think when people seem to overreact, their pain is real and intense.  I don't think it should be dismissed as overreacting.

Due to the experience with oldest's sensory issues, I find this a fascinating subject.

Denise

Interesting question. Personally, for me and in observing those around me, when pain is an adjunct to a higher goal - when it comes with reason - it is more tolerable. No pain, no gain, kwim? It's when it is unexpected that I feel, I dunno, violated? That would explain pain thresholds varying within an individual, maybe not between individuals.

I had some difficult pregnancies that required more of me than my first easy pregnancy. Because everything ultimately affected the babies, I could grit my teeth and endure it. Going through similar procedures for fixing body parts when a baby was not part of the scenario? I wanted those pain meds!

I don't know about that theory!

I gave birth without pain and without drugs.  I had an eye surgery without pain, but my husband, who had the same laser surgery, passed out.

My daughter read somewhere that blue-eyed people do better in childbirth and have a higher pain tolerance.  Seemed true to me, but I don't know. 

On the other hand, I had a drain inserted after appendix removal.  When the nurse came to remove it, I was expecting that it would "sting" a little and it was certainly in furtherance of a higher goal (to get out of Dodge, i.e. the hospital), but it was the worst ever and I screamed loud enough that the nurses way back at the station asked my nurse what she had done to me. 

Yep this is my kid :( Currently working on fixing a major injury that never healed but my dd never told us it was hurting still and even ran track on it with just mild randomly placed (as in multiple days apart) my foot hurts....yep its still messed up.

sometimes a high adrenalin level will mask pain. (mask as in- you don't notice it is there, but it is.) that adrenalin level will eventually crash.

My dd's OT was saying that one of the issues with her is that her body and mind are going so fast and focusing on so much other things all the time that the only time she realizes pain is when she stops thus why the only time we hear complaints about pain is at bed time when she has to stop and lights are off and her body starts to relax.

Creek. . . are you calling me a horse. . . specifically an old nag?   :toetap05:    :lol:

I'm not so sure that's a derogatory comment.  Our older broodmares are some of the best ponies we have.  The one I mentioned is one of our younger mares.  Age-wise, she SHOULD still be out working for a living.

And, uh, age-wise... I'm not so sure we're terribly far off from each other, so yes, I prefer to think of it as a compliment!

I have no idea. I'm guessing that there are some biological/gene make-up factors involved.  In dogs, for example, German Shepherds tend to be very big wimps when it comes to pain. They let you know right away with a big yelp if they are hurt. Labs and terriers are incredibly stoic and don't reveal outwardly their pain. 

There are also some learned responses to pain. Sometimes we learn to show pain, sometimes we learn to deal with pain. 

I come from a family of high pain tolerance. My db in particular barely feels pain. Oddly, he is a red head. (Strong red-headed genes in the family.) He is one of those who could seriously injure himself and not realize it. Mine is more of a blessing. I feel it, but seem to be able to turn it off almost at will. I am allergic to all of those good pain killers, so it is a really good thing. 

a couple things.

redheads have more pain receptors in the skin. there are medical studies showing repeatedly that they have greater perception of physical pain. they also can need analgesics in a higher does to achieve the same effect.

a vitamin/mineral deficiency. vitamin d3 and/or magnesium, can decrease pain tolerance.

my pain tolerance will vary on occasion. I've had times I remembering wondering why I was being so pain intolerant when I didn't have problems "before".

my son can work himself into a tizzy at the thought of a needle - but that is psychological and I have figured out ways to help him cope. (I throw a blanket over his head like a 'tent', and give him my phone to play games on for a distraction. he does better if his big brother is holding him too. it actually worked better than the cartoon or whatever playing the dr used to use.)

I am a red head and always heard that yet I seem to have a high pain tolerance (I run and birthed kiddos with not too much discomfort). I think early training or parental expectations must weigh in too. I come from a pretty stoic family. But then you wonder, stoic because of psychology or a genetic pain tolerance?