Menu

Who has better BBQ KC or St. Louis

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who has Better BBQ

• Kansas City
    • St. Louis
    • I am a Vegan and find talk of BBQ to be highly pot stirring and am running to tell the mods.

It is telling that there are more Vegans than those who view St. Louis BBQ as better than KC.

Obviously the mods agree that KC BBQ is better because even with all the Vegans reporting this thread it's still open.  

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I don't have a dog in the fight since I grew up in New England and now live in CA, but I'd have to say that Texas is the best BBQ style.

Some of the worst BBQ I've ever had came from Texas.Of course, they also have The Green Mesquite, which was some of the best. So, for me, Texas is a draw. 

Back to KC...I have had the best burnt ends I've ever had in KC at Jack Stack. We go up there just for the BBQ. 

eta: the name of the best BBQ place for burnt ends. ;) 

Some of the worst BBQ I've ever had came from Texas.Of course, they also have The Green Mesquite, which was some of the best. So, for me, Texas is a draw. 

Back to KC...I have had the best burnt ends I've ever had in KC. We go up there just for the BBQ. 

We moved from KC to SC and I have to say that the lack of burnt ends in SC is a travesty. I realize burnt ends are a specialty of KC BBQ but that is no reason everyone else should not have them as well. :( :( :(

• Like 3

You really need neither as an option.  And some more options.  If I were to make the question want to include 5 locations as possibilities, neither would make the top 5.  

Not even in the top 5? 

You have not been to KC or you ate at the wrong place and got terrible food poisoning. 

• Like 3

I don't know the difference. I'd probably like both.

I am sorry. I know what to get your for Christmas. :) I know Jack Stacks will mail because of the bets between KCPD and other PD's during the world series. I am not sure about the other places.

I propose a series of monthly WTM BBQ taste testing meet-ups for those of us who can get to KC for a day trip. I leave "day trip" open ended, I can make most places 6 or 7 hours each way of me a "day trip". For Burnt Ends I could possibly make it 8 hours each way in a day.

Suddenly I am hungry, no clue why. ;)

• Like 2

We moved from KC to SC and I have to say that the lack of burnt ends in SC is a travesty. I realize burnt ends are a specialty of KC BBQ but that is no reason everyone else should not have them as well. :( :( :(

I grew up in KC, and whenever we travel, I'm shocked every single time when burnt ends aren't on the menu.  :lol:

A friend and I had Gates for lunch every Friday for years because it was close to our college campus. KC Masterpiece was my favorite, but they're closed now.  :confused1: 

Even now, living a couple of hours away, we've managed to have Jack Stack twice and Arthur Bryant's once in the last month.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

I am sorry. I know what to get your for Christmas. :) I know Jack Stacks will mail because of the bets between KCPD and other PD's during the world series. I am not sure about the other places.

I propose a series of monthly WTM BBQ taste testing meet-ups for those of us who can get to KC for a day trip. I leave "day trip" open ended, I can make most places 6 or 7 hours each way of me a "day trip". For Burnt Ends I could possibly make it 8 hours each way in a day.

Suddenly I am hungry, no clue why. ;)

I'm game. WTM field trip. 

• Like 2

I live in Overland Park, KS, in the Greater KC metro area. I've lived all over thanks to the Air Force, and have sampled BBQ in every state we've lived in...yes, even in Fairbanks, Alaska! My faves: We had some really good BBQ in Clemson, SC, in a place called The Esso... An old gas station turned into a bbq joint. Also had some pretty good stuff in San Antonio, TX, too. But I have to admit that personally, I prefer what we have here in Kansas City. I love Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stacks. I pass by Jack Stacks taking my son to tennis twice a week and the smell drives me insane...

Gosh, I'm so hungry right now! And I'd love to meet y'all! I rarely post but I've lurked for years so come to KC and lets eat BBQ together!

• Like 2

You can vote on this poll that USA Today is running, too. http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-southern-bbq/ 

And for the record, it's KC Joe's (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) that has the best bbq. Mmmm, wonder if I can convince DH to pick some up tonight.

Yes, they broke with their Oklahoma partner. It seems the "Oklahoma" partner wants to make franchises while the people in Kansas City just want to run the few restaurants they have. They broke with one another amicably so they could take different directions.

Guess what I'm having for dinner? :)

You know it's bad when I have to check in with you gals while out on a date with my DH... lol!

ETA: phooey, I'm on my phone and can't get my photos of Joes KC and my brisket dinner to load. I'll try again tonight.

ETA again: Well, now my pics are sideways, but you get the point. It was yummy! 

post-6584-0-50012700-1431750900_thumb.jpg

post-6584-0-42771400-1431750910_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Back to KC...I have had the best burnt ends I've ever had in KC at Jack Stack. We go up there just for the BBQ. 

eta: the name of the best BBQ place for burnt ends. ;)

I think a lot of the BBQ dispute comes from the definition of BBQ.  To me if any part of the meat was burnt my thought would be "What the heck am I being served?  It isn't BBQ.  What the did they do to this poor innocent piece of meat?  Drop it in a fire?"   

• Like 1

I think a lot of the BBQ dispute comes from the definition of BBQ.  To me if any part of the meat was burnt my thought would be "What the heck am I being served?  It isn't BBQ.  What the did they do to this poor innocent piece of meat?  Drop it in a fire?"   

This. My parents called anything they burned to a crisp on the grill BBQ. Thankfully, once I started driving I was able to experience REAL BBQ. 

I think a lot of the BBQ dispute comes from the definition of BBQ. To me if any part of the meat was burnt my thought would be "What the heck am I being served? It isn't BBQ. What the did they do to this poor innocent piece of meat? Drop it in a fire?"

Burnt ends are not scorched to toughness. It is the point of a smoked brisket and they are beautiful. Properly cooked they are tender and moist with crisp, charred edges. I am drooling just thinking about it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_ends

• Like 1

Burnt ends are not scorched to toughness. It is the point of a smoked brisket and they are beautiful. Properly cooked they are tender and moist.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_ends

ohhhhhhh, now I understand.   That sounds reasonable.  Reminds me of Walleye cheeks in that they can be either unused pieces that end up in the trash or little bits of wonderfulness depending on the preparation and care.  

Guess what I'm having for dinner? :)

You know it's bad when I have to check in with you gals while out on a date with my DH... lol!

ETA: phooey, I'm on my phone and can't get my photos of Joes KC and my brisket dinner to load. I'll try again tonight.

ETA again: Well, now my pics are sideways, but you get the point. It was yummy!

:(

Jealous. :(

I'm sorry, but your question is either phrased incorrectly or contains massive typos.

There is no such thing that passes the acceptable definition of BBQ existing north of Georgia and/or west of Alabama

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but your question is either phrased incorrectly or contains massive typos.

There is no such thing that passes the acceptable definition of BBQ existing north of Georgia and/or west of Alabama

Alabama? Those people are crazy and even I admitted that the mustard stuff in SC was "pretty good." Mayonnaise, gross!

KC BBQ comes from the jazz district in KC. The American Royal takes place in KC and it is the world's largest BBQ competition.

• Like 1