Menu

Pictorial church directory question

MyThreeSons

Have you ever seen a pictorial church directory in which the pictures were only of the adults? 

I got an email from our church saying that someone would be taking pictures for the new directory after the service this Sunday. It mentioned that pictures would be of members only, so there is no need to get the kids dressed up. (At our church, one must be at least 16yo to be a member, with privileges and responsibilities.)

I cannot imagine not having family-unit pictures in the directory. I like seeing which kids go together and with which parents. Am I once again behind the times?

It sounds like they are doing individual photos, associated with a membership list (database) that works on an individual basis. They are probably just having a photo directory as a side project. Kids don't usually have their own "record" in such systems, thus there would not be a need for a photo of them.

I'm with bolt.  -- sounds like a database thing and not anything else.  

The picture they took of me for ours was oh-so-beautiful... it was 3 days after I had LASIK, so no eye makeup, in my unflattering green nursery worker shirt (we have orange now, praise the Lord lol...).  :D  Luckily I hammed it up for it anyway so it's all good.  :D :lol:

The huge church we are a part of now only photographs individual members - not families.

We are a small church -- less than 100 official members. Our membership is very young. At the annual baby dedication service on Father's Day, there were 13 babies dedicated who had been born in the past year, and I know of at least one who was out of town, and there were at least two more babies born in the next couple of weeks.

My son belongs to a big (not huge or mega) church, and they have family units in their pictorial directory. Some couples have their picture taken with their dogs, which I think is a bit strange. 

Every church I've been to that does pictorial directories at all does family photos. I don't see the point of a pictorial directory if it's not to help people figure out who's who, and that includes which kids belong to which parents.   My current church doesn't differentiate between members and nonmembers (kids or regular attenders).  

Different denominations define "membership" in different ways. I've been Episcopalian all my life, and never heard the word "membership" used like it is in some places until I came to these boards. So funny to me to not have kids as "members" of our church family! But it's just the way the word is being used.

Our church (450ish members) just went to an online directory. Some people didn't want their kids pictures online so they have made it optional. There is every combination of being listed, we chose to include our kids pictures but not their names since anyone who needs to know their names already does. We attend a church near campus with a high turnover of students though.

I think it is weird. Sounds very family "unfriendly" to me to think if one's children and not being part of the church membership.  I can see them not being in full membership.  But, what is the point of the directory if one is excluding them?  What is the point of having a pictoral directory, then?

Making a guess here. Could it be because blended families might have an ex spouse who doesn't want their kids photographed and named?

Then these particular families would made a decision on whether or not to be included in the directory.  Why make a blanket statement to exclude all children. 

This is definitely for a pictorial directory, which will be printed and distributed to member families. It has never been published online in the past, and I haven't heard that this one will be either. A database may also be in the works, but that wasn't mentioned in the email. We don't currently have any divorced families, although there is one family who is in the process of adopting three children out of foster care. I thought of that as a reason for excluding kids, but the official answer I was given when asked was that they are doing adults only "to save space" -- whatever that means, and that the hope is that as we get to know other members, we will get to know their children as well.

We have had pictorial directories in the past; a new one is published once every few years. In between pictorial editions, they print an updated directory that just has contact information in printed form. 

Our pastor has really strong opinions about the treatment of official members versus non-members, and I've disagreed with him in the past. For instance, he changed it so that our small groups only include official members (and their children, sometimes). Under our previous pastors, people who were even semi-regularly attending were encouraged to get involved in a small group, to build relationships, accountability, etc. And several years ago we had a man who was critically ill, and the pastor didn't have us praying for him in the service because "he isn't a member". The man had been a member, but was dropped from the official roster when he didn't attend for an extended period of time while we were between pastors. He had recently begun attending again, but his membership hadn't been reinstated. 

For those who are wondering -- membership in our church requires a few things: at least 16yo, attended a class about the history and workings of our church body, be a professing believer, been baptized, and been interviewed by two leaders of the church. Once officially a member, the person has voting privileges, may work in the nursery or other children's ministry, and may be subject to church discipline (a very rare occurrence). 

It sounds like this is a very intentional part of the "members are the ones who matter" campaign... Probably under the mistaken assumption that various exclusive privilidges will encourage people to choose to pursue membership, rather than hanging around the church without taking that step. A bit unhealthy in my opinion.

Could it be some sort of concern of people who don't want there to be photos of their children with their names anywhere because they're afraid of predators?

Don't get me wrong, I think that's silly.  Just throwing it out there.

The churches I've been to with such directories also always did families, though it's been many years since I attended a church like that.  I have the church directory photo of my brother and I up with the family photos in my hall, actually.  The church from when I was a child used it as a sort of fundraiser as well - cheap way to get a decent family photo made, some of the profits went to the church.

I would be uncomfortable with a church that didn't consider my kids members of the community to that extent.

Huh, I didn't realize it was so common to still do pictorial directories.  

We don't do them here.  We don't do directories at all, for that matter.  My grandparents' church still does a pictorial directory, but it's a church full of a lot of older members, so I think to them it's the norm.  I think that's becoming less so, though.

At least I thought it was.  I think it makes sense to phase them out, because churches are growing so quickly and such.  At least phase them out in printed form.  Plus the pictures are always done by an awful company - olan mills or something.  :ack2:  So they always turn out terrible.  :P