Menu

Legal, skirting the edges or totally out of bounds?

KidsHappen

Legal, skirting the edges or totally out of bounds?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Legal, skirting the edges or totally out of bounds?

• Legal
    • Skirting the edges
    • Out of bounds

I received this email today. It was sent from a wcs.edu email account. There has been an bit of an uproar about it.

Good afternoon,

My name is PJ Mezera and I represent the southern part of our county, District Three, on the Williamson County School Board.  As you know, our children return back to school next Friday on August 8th.

I am writing you today to ask you to join me and others this Sunday, August 3rd at 4 p.m. to pray for our schools.  Please consider joining us on the school campus or in your living room or at your place of worship as we pray for this coming school year.

I will be praying first for our children.  I’m praying for safety both inside and outside our school buildings, that they may flourish in peace.  I’m praying that they will have wisdom in all of their choices and relationships.  I’m praying that they will seek what is best and persevere.

I will be also praying for our teachers.  They have responded to the awesome calling of teaching, training, mentoring and caring for our children.  I’m praying that God will give them plenty of strength and creativity as they draw out of our children, Excellence.

I hope to see you there and thank you for your dedication to our schools and our children.

May God bless you and may God bless America and our Williamson County Schools!

In the name of my Lord Jesus Christ,

PJ Mezera 

What do you think?

I think it's legal and that it should be. No one is forced in any way to show up for that. No biggie.

Using the educational email address, server, computer, email addresses provided to the school for non-religious purposes, etc? That is skirting, at least, IMO.

What if the principal had been inviting everyone to a Tupperware Party?

I think since it's a separate event from a school day or a business meeting, it'll fly.

Frankly, it'd lower my opinion of the person (as it sounds like pandering) but I wouldn't expect anyone to sue, since there's no compulsion to participate. I suspect people use their school email for all kinds of personal stuff. I'd be far more irked if it were a phone call.

How did that person get your email address? If they are using email addresses provided through his/her office, then I would say....well...skirting at best and maybe illegal.

I do not know this person nor have I had any email interactions with the school board so I am going to assume that she got my email address either through the school or the district. 

I do not know this person nor have I had any email interactions with the school board so I am going to assume that she got my email address either through the school or the district.

Yeah, I think I would be mad, if I provided the school with an email to receive specific types of information, and started receiving stuff like this. It's inappropriate, whether or not it is legal. It's legal for the head of my church's prayer request email list to send political emails (as long as they were personal emails), but it would be extremely annoying and inappropriate.

Since the end of year concert in public schools here drop the name "Christmas Concerts" because majority are either agnostic/atheist/other religion,  this email send in an official capacity would cause an uproar. 

If the person had sent as a personal email, then it would be spam mail.

Legal, probably.

Unprofessional: definitely. He should not be using any school resources (i.e. info databases with addresses , and his edu email account) to conduct personal business that should be separate from the school. Whether that be invitation to prayer or to a tupperware party.

I didn't get that part, sorry. General invitation to prayer, not a problem. I don't think people should use your info or their job related computers, etc. for their own purposes.

Using the educational email address, server, computer, email addresses provided to the school for non-religious purposes, etc? That is skirting, at least, IMO.

What if the principal had been inviting everyone to a Tupperware Party?

I think it's an assumption to think he got the email addresses through the school district. He might be using voter roles or property tax register, or any number of other roles accessible by the public. And, there may be no prohibition on his use of an 'edu account for personal messages.

It's only 'skirting the edge' if he is doing something he should not do. I just don't thin there is enough information to decide.

Just because it isn't politically correct, or even politically savvy, doesn't make it illegal.

Legal. Incredibly unprofessional.

I get emails from school board members. They are usually setup like newsletters to inform me what the board has done and what's next on their agenda. They sent out lots of stuff on how they decide to cancel school for weather last winter. The school system has my email address because I have a child enrolled. I only want it used to contact me about my specific child or to inform me of special issues directly related to the educational environment.

Legal. Incredibly unprofessional.

I get emails from school board members. They are usually setup like newsletters to inform me what the board has done and what's next on their agenda. They sent out lots of stuff on how they decide to cancel school for weather last winter. The school system has my email address because I have a child enrolled. I only want it used to contact me about my specific child or to inform me of special issues directly related to the educational environment.

Our school has a person in charge of communications that handles school cancellations, changes, bus issues and such. I have never once in 7 years heard from the PTA or the school board. I do know that the person who sent the email is new to the position and considering the blowback they got on this, I don't think that it will be happening again. 

I think it's an assumption to think he got the email addresses through the school district. He might be using voter roles or property tax register, or any number of other roles accessible by the public. And, there may be no prohibition on his use of an 'edu account for personal messages.

It's only 'skirting the edge' if he is doing something he should not do. I just don't thin there is enough information to decide.

Just because it isn't politically correct, or even politically savvy, doesn't make it illegal.

Which of those have email addresses accessible to the general public?

Which of those have email addresses accessible to the general public?

Just off the top of my google search: Vote registration Lists

Lots of lists of this type are available. It would be easy to track down lists pertinent to a specific area and hit with a bulk email. 

Just to clarify: I have no idea who JP Some-last-name is. And, I'm not saying I think he should have done what he did.  Actually, I think it was an un-savvy move which is likely to alienate as many people as attract, depending on the demographic.

My point was that we can't assume he did anything illegal, or not permitted by sending  the email unless we know more about any restrictions on the account or about the source of his e-mail addresses.  Goodness knows, I get way more spam in my email account from people I don't know than I want to deal with. It isn't too hard to find email addresses if you want them.

Now, if JP did something to violate the restrictions set up on the server he used or the privacy of some email list, that would be a different matter.

Since you do not have a personal relationship with this person and she appears to be using official school email lists for her own agenda, I would say "skirting" or illegal.  This said as one who strives to be a person of prayer. 

This.  If it was from a campaign listserv and a personal or campaign account I would say legal.  But official government (because these are government schools) email list, I say probably illegal or definitely skirting the law.  It feels like he made everyone a captive audience to this message.

Yeah, I think I would be mad, if I provided the school with an email to receive specific types of information, and started receiving stuff like this. It's inappropriate, whether or not it is legal. It's legal for the head of my church's prayer request email list to send political emails (as long as they were personal emails), but it would be extremely annoying and inappropriate.

I totally agree.

Ew.

Given how you phrased this, I'd say you don't believe in the freedom of religion.

You don't seem to understand.

If I say it would be illegal for the school board member in question to invite everyone to a Tupperware party, am I against freedom of commerce? Of course not!

My dh has worked in government our entire adult lives. I have worked as a volunteer in government organizations for the same amount of time. We often have people's email addresses, phone number, addresses and personal information as part of our duties. There are many, many restrictions (read: LAWS) on how that information can be used by government because it was given for a specific reason. I can't use it to invite everyone to my Tupperware party. I can't use it to send out daily prayer requests to an entire list of spouses and/parents. If Barbara calls me and asks for Suzie's phone number, I can't give her the number. That is how things typically work in government.

If I solicit and gather information (or money or donations) in my (government sponsored) role (which is volunteer, not even paid) for one purpose, then I am legally forbidden from using that information for another purpose.

You can't decide now that you are in a government position that you can use your position and information at your fingertips to solicit for your religion, business or anything else. It wouldn't be legal from a federal standpoint. I would be shocked if there was no similar rule about abuse of position at the local level.

Just off the top of my google search: Vote registration Lists

Lots of lists of this type are available. It would be easy to track down lists pertinent to a specific area and hit with a bulk email.

Just to clarify: I have no idea who JP Some-last-name is. And, I'm not saying I think he should have done what he did. Actually, I think it was an un-savvy move which is likely to alienate as many people as attract, depending on the demographic.

My point was that we can't assume he did anything illegal, or not permitted by sending the email unless we know more about any restrictions on the account or about the source of his e-mail addresses. Goodness knows, I get way more spam in my email account from people I don't know than I want to deal with. It isn't too hard to find email addresses if you want them.

Now, if JP did something to violate the restrictions set up on the server he used or the privacy of some email list, that would be a different matter.

I don't see email addresses on voter registration lists.

Given how you phrased this, I'd say you don't believe in the freedom of religion. 

*gently* Luanne, this is the second thread I've read today you are trying to derail. Please stop. 

Kids, I voted skirting, but very unprofessional. I think it's the closing that bothers me because it excludes non-Christian religions. I think a general call to prayer for the school year would have offended me less. 

I don't know enough to vote on whether it's legal or not, but no matter what it's beyond inappropriate and I would be very annoyed if I got an email from a school board member (who was acting as a school board member) that wasn't directly related to school board issues.  I suppose he might have gotten the email addresses in a legitimate way (I doubt he spent that much time doing so though), but even if he did, he shouldn't have emailed *as a school board member.*  Concerned parent?  Fine.  Backing up his concern with his position?  Nope.

If I got this email, I would spend some time clarifying the policies surrounding the use of email addresses, and if this was allowed, I'd make a stink about until the policy changed.  I seriously doubt it's allowed, and as others have pointed out, it is quite possibly illegal for him to use email addresses in this way. If he really didn't use the email addresses inappropriately, I'd block his email.  And I'm a religious person.

I don't see email addresses on voter registration lists.

No, you are quite correct. The link I provided to voter registration lists did not include email. But, emails aren't terribly hard to find if you have some basic information and persistence.  You can get voter list and other public record lists. From there it is a matter of further research to get emails.

Seriously, is there a point you are trying to make or are you just trying to prove me wrong? Because, really, I don't know that you can find everyone's email address. I just know that it is possible to find some people's email address.  many people use their name or a variation of their name for their email address. Domain names in a local area aren't hard to discover either. There are lots of programs that use just that information to send out bulk emails. They sure do find me and spam me often enough!

My only point was that we do not have enough information about how the original emailer  got the email address of the OP.   Perhaps he found a way to secure a list of people in a school district that is perfect legal and readily available. Or, perhaps he did use an official-use-only list. I don't know. And neither do you. That is why, without any further investigation into the origin of the senders source, we can only speculate about the legality.

ETA: Even if PJ, the sender DID indeed use a school board's official list or server, that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. It might be a disciplinary measure. It may even result in dismissal from the school board. Still, that doesn't mean it is illegal.