Menu

Help me put together a 'nature/explorer kit'

My dd wants an explorer kit for her b day. I found this http://www.hometrainingtools.com/backyard-naturalists-backpack-kit/p/KT-YNATKID/ but would like to put together my own.

She loves to walk around our large yard & look at the flowers, bugs, & birds. And pretend she is on an adventure in the woods or jungle or ocean.

Aside from what is in the above bag can you suggest any other items? I would like a bird id book & maybe some nature study type printables. Anything else I could include?

Add a pith helmet and a camo or khaki vest with lots of pockets for a uniform.

Also:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=12994&category=4553&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

When I was a kid there were lots of books about aspects of studying nature.  One about rock collecting, another about butterflies, another about constellations.  Maybe you could find some of those?  Looking back on it, they introduced techniques to me that I would not have thought of or heard of elsewhere.

And buy this one for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Creepy-Crawlies-Scientific-Method-Experiments/dp/1555911188

Magnifying glass/hand lens, a plant press, tweezers and containers for bugs, binoculars, a small journal, plastic ruler, mechanical pencil, perhaps some light-sensitive paper to make sun prints with the things she finds. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but for my 10 yr old, I'd add stuff like ph paper strips, eyedroppers, and stuff for rock collecting.

Magnifying glass/hand lens, a plant press, tweezers and containers for bugs, binoculars, a small journal, plastic ruler, mechanical pencil, perhaps some light-sensitive paper to make sun prints with the things she finds. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but for my 10 yr old, I'd add stuff like ph paper strips, eyedroppers, and stuff for rock collecting.

I have a budding herpetologist-a dip net, ziplock bags, Spring scale ( she also has a sensitive digital one, but it's definitely less easy to carry), and leather gloves are always in her backpack. She has a snake hook as well, but so far, she's only used it to practice with toy snakes-in general, if you need a hook or tongs to handle a wild snake, it's a snake you should stay away from. If you're going to do anything with amphibians or be in water where they live, make sure you have safe sunscreen and insect repellent, too, because most of the commercial ones will kill frogs and salamanders if they're exposed to too much of it. We get most of her field study equpment at Bass pro-it's cheaper there than through science supply stores, and is often available in sizes that are good for her while still being "real" (a lot of the science stuff sold for kids is more at the "toy" level).

A headlamp is very helpful for any night work.

I have looked briefly at the kit.

1) We buy the bug cups in bulk from Home Science Tools.

2) I bought our butterfly net from Home Science Tools.  I recommend them.  This ($11) is the one we have, but Home Science Tools has many to choose from.

3) If you have access to water in your neighborhood, look for a pond fish net.  Make sure that she has access to an ice cream bucket.  I don't remember where we got ours from; possibly Bass Pro Shop.  Here is one for a good starter price, but I have never purchased from this vender.

4) A larger aquarium (1-2 gallons) for keeping larger bugs overnight.  We have several.  One has tiny snails from the local pond (grown from eggs).  My daughter's friend keeps a Praying Mantis as a pet most autumns.  Insect Habitat ($7.50 from HST) or Critter Habitat ($7-12).

5) Loverboy bought his binoculars from Sam's Club: 2 pairs for ~$50.  This may have been a decade ago.  Dd took one to Nature Camp this summer.

6) Beginning Birdwatcher's Book w/Stickers from Rainbow Resource. ($5)

7) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a bug aspirator ($11.50)from Forestry Supplies.  They are handy for collecting small specimens and beetles.  Dd7 is a pro with hers!  Be unafraid to get a killing jar, pins, mounting block, and a bug collection box in the future.

8) Magnifying Glass -- a BIG one; a GOOD one.

9) A good hat.

10) A vest.  ($30-35).  Would she get $35 worth of use out of it?

11) Save many little containers for Nature Treasures.  We save the little cups and lids from salad dressing take-out.  Many have wrapped parts of bird shells, cockleburrs, bugs that are not mounted yet, and seeds.  Spice jars also work.

12) Handheld GPS

13) For night: Small flashlight with red cellophane to cover at night (to help your eyes adjust).  Green laser pointer (because green is the best for pointing out Constellations).  Book: 365 Starry Nights by Chet Raymo ($14)

14) Nature Journal book, and a printed off list of ideas for Nature Journaling like making a tree rubbing, drawing an insect, drawing a tree in 4 seasons, making a list of all the species within a hulahoop on the ground, a running list of all the trees, plants, insects, birds in the yard.  I can't find the website I've admired in the past (which had seasonal lists), but this is a good start.

15) North Woods Field Guides  We've gotten the most out of the Trees and the Wildflower ones.

16) Small Camera

Remember: You don't need to get EVERYTHING on the list today.  Christmas IS coming (as I make the religious privilege assumption that you celebrate Christmas, and that you do so with gifts).

Remember: You don't need to get EVERYTHING on the list today. Christmas IS coming (as I make the religious privilege assumption that you celebrate Christmas, and that you do so with gifts).

Thank you for the list & links! I will be starting small & add to it over time. We do celebrate Christmas so I think a good microscope might make a great gift.

I have several others following in big sisters steps so we are going to buy good quality items that will hopefully last for years.

For the budding rock collector-- mallet and small pickax-like hand held thing the size of a hammer.  I forget what they are called, but the idea is that you put the tip of the 'ax' part above the rock and pound it with the mallet and gradually chip away the material around the rock that you want.  This is awesome for fossil collecting if you have a quarry nearby, especially if it's a soft rock like sandstone.  Or loose rock like gravel.

Also a rock and mineral handbook. 

And a book that includes the rock cycle.

A starter collection of labeled rock samples is great, and you can get those from any good science museum.

I don't remember where you live, but the Nevada state museum has an awesome mineral section with a rock cycle display the size of a wall--best one I have ever seen.  There is a gold mine underneath to look at also.  Very cool field trip.

Also, depending on where you live, your state cooperative extension will have (free) handouts on LOTS of "nature things" specific to your area (you may have already mined this topic). They have things like descriptions & pictures of local plant pests / diseases, specific charts for tracks (really awesome in snow), local invasive plants / fish / species, etc.

Not a financial thing, but useful to an interested kid.

I'd put a kid-decent digital camera pretty high on the list if she's interested in stuff like that (seems like it would be good for record-keeping as well as project-making . . . imagining a small book of leaf-pictures, etc.).

I'd second those laminated, folding field guides for your area, the flashlight or headlamp, bug repellent, explorer type hat, and camera. and the pocket knife if you think your dc is ready for that.

I'd also add a small ziploc with a few band aids, wipes, and neosporin. My kids like having regular pencils with good erasers for drawing. My kids' nature/ exploring pack also has an old hand towel in it. And a compass. And some string. And a bandana. And a small measuring tape - easier to pack than a ruler and more useful.

We also have a good set of walkie talkies and they are a good safety item as well as fun. Our set has three so both kids get one and I do too.

Your dd sounds exactly like mine! Has anyone said a compass yet? My dd loves hers! Flashlight...binocular are awesome to have. My dd's kit also came with a whistle(?). Maybe in case a situation is dangerous and she needs help.

You have some great suggestions here! I just wanted to share that when I put together nature sets for my kids, I bought them each a nice Camelbak to put everything in for when we spent longer days exploring. We like to spend the day at nearby state parks. They started with a Mini M.U.L.E. and that served them well, although DS11 will soon need an adult size.

http://shop.camelbak.com/minimule/d/1064

This is too funny.  We think alike. 

We are doing TOG Y3 this next year and DD will be learning more about Lewis and Clark.  I plan to have a long-term project where she approaches nature study the way Lewis and Clark did.  I will also be putting together a kit for her.  I looked at the same, exact kit you did for my idea.

I plan to combine the tools from the kit you linked along with any tools in their other backpack kits.

I plan to include:

We'll probably use the internet rather than field guides, but we do have one plant and one bird field guide for our area. If it's cheaper to order from one place, I may see how much it will cost to purchase the individual items we need from Home Science Tools and compare their cost with what I can get from Amazon.

For projects, we will build our own plant press and make some art projects using the dried, pressed plants.  DD will also have to do a report regarding an interesting find of her choice; take casts of animal footprints found & identify them, test and identify interesting rocks, etc. 

This will be a year-long project which I've listed in conjunction with history due to the Lewis & Clark element.  We have a separate interest-led science class as well.  To help me come up with projects, set up journal notes and design types of record keeping, and incorporate other core subjects into this endeavor, I've purchased the following book per the suggestion of another poster on here in another thread: http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Connection-Workbook-Families-Classrooms/dp/1603425314/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406819751&sr=1-1&keywords=Nature+connections

This book is a fantastic resource! It has a month-to-month guide of how to explore nature every month of the year--WINTER TOO! I would encourage you to get it if you don't have it already. It's the best investment I've made for this project so far.

I'll add a head lamp if she likes cave exploring. My kids collect rocks. I just bring along ziplock bags to contain the rocks. I have a low end binoculars that can be used for bird watching and stargazing, nice for camping.

Actually, one should have a helmet as well as three light sources (headlamp and two backup lights).  Caving is an activity I would discourage anyone, without knowledge of cave safety and conservation, from doing.   

For those interested in caving, a well-respected organization to contact is the National Speleological Society (NSS).  Link: http://caves.org.  The NSS has been in existence for more than seventy years and is the largest caving organization.  (Disclosure: I am a member of the NSS.)

Actually, one should have a helmet as well as three light sources (headlamp and two backup lights). Caving is an activity I would discourage anyone, without knowledge of cave safety and conservation, from doing.

I was referring to the tame kind of cave exploring since OP's child is 9. I should have been clearer.

Kids are able to handle a very easy cave like the ones at Pinnacles National Monument

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/naturescience/cave.htm

Third the Brock Magiscope, Second the book, Pets in A Jar.

Notebook and pencil for notes or a nature journal.

Id books are priceless to figure out things on the spot. Stan Tekiela has whole series of id books by state for flowers, trees, birds, mammals, amphibians, rocks. They are smaller in size and a good starter series with real photos and can find birds and flowers by color.

http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Minnesota-Field-Second-Edition/dp/1591930375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407103576&sr=8-1&keywords=tekiela

<<Add a pith helmet and a camo or khaki vest with lots of pockets for a uniform.> I>

Oh! Wow! I wish I had a little girl to do this with. I kno Iw I'd have been in heaven with such an outfit at that age. I loved exploring. It is sad children aren't allow to roam anymore. We had woods with a big hole and vines you could swing across the hole like Tarzan, creeks with crawdads, small safe caves, etc. I've been to the amazon and to the South Pole in my childhood dreams! All I lacked was a pith helmet and a many pocket khaki jacket!

Thank you all for the suggestions! I wanted to list what I ended up putting together for her.

1. Backpack: we bought a nice camo one that she can also use for hunting with her daddy.

2. Good quality binoculars

3. Magnifying glass

4. Compass

5. Bug catcher/viewer from home science tools

6. Tweezers

7. Ruler

8. Spiral bound sketch book

9. Pencil case

10. Colored pencils

11. Mechanical pencil

12. Free guides published by our state-birds, fish, waterfowl, & snakes

13. Free handouts from county extension office-state trees & insects

I would have loved to buy even more of the things you all suggested but we stick to a fairly modest budget for birthdays. If she uses it as much as I think we will add to it at Christmas.