Menu

Nivea Creme!

shukriyya

I have rediscovered this oldie but goodie. At the pharmacy today to pick up something else I noticed the small, royal blue retro tin with its wonderful art deco font. Perfect size for the purse and remembering how I used to use it in my twenties into the basket it went. I bought it for the tin but at home opening it and smelling the distinctive rose scent and seeing the thick, white cream I had a little Proustian olfactory moment :lol:

I don't use a lot of products and what I do use is free from most pollutants as well as fragrances but this little tin of nostalgia has me bypassing all of those conditions. A little research yields that it's a cult favorite with brands made in Germany, Thailand or Mexico with Germany being the preferred source. Already my elbows are softer!

Anyone else use this?

I have rediscovered this oldie but goodie. At the pharmacy today to pick up something else I noticed the small, royal blue retro tin with its wonderful art deco font. Perfect size for the purse and remembering how I used to use it in my twenties into the basket it went. I bought it for the tin but at home opening it and smelling the distinctive rose scent and seeing the thick, white cream I had a little Proustian olfactory moment :lol:

I don't use a lot of products and what I do use is free from most pollutants as well as fragrances but this little tin of nostalgia has me bypassing all of those conditions. A little research yields that it's a cult favorite with brands made in Germany, Thailand or Mexico with Germany being the preferred source. Already my elbows are softer!

Anyone else use this?

nivea.jpg

This was the cure-all when I was a kid. :)

after reading this article comparing nivea to a *very* expensive face creme (nivea won btw), i started using it.  My grandmother had it around, so I also fondly remembered the scent and it's rose scent.  don't know how much she used, or for what, but she did have great skin.  I now use it on my face.

dudeling had a weird rash on his hands - and we've used different cremes trying to heal it. (including a special blend from his ND.)  the nivea actually was the one that made it go away for good.

I had a patch of eczema or something on an elbow - that was getting worse.  (if I didn't moisturize it every day, it would crack and bleed.  very painful.)  It had even started making one large bump that was getting me concerned and I was considering going to the dr to have it checked out.  (I had a hemangioma in the same spot.  thought it might be related.)  then I started using the nivea.  amazing, the thing, which I've dealt with for several *years*, is now healing.

the funny thing is I have a spot on my foot - that nivea doesn't do squat for.  alas, cetaphil works wonders.  so, I use both on different things.

I prefer Cetaphil cream because I can't stand the scent of Nivea.

It's not the Nivea scent in particular -- I'm sensitive to just about any heavy scent in skin care products because I tend to fixate on the smell and it makes me queasy, particularly if it's on my hands or face.

I prefer Cetaphil cream because I can't stand the scent of Nivea.

It's not the Nivea scent in particular -- I'm sensitive to just about any heavy scent in skin care products because I tend to fixate on the smell and it makes me queasy, particularly if it's on my hands or face.

See normally I can't tolerate scent at all. Everything I use is fragrance-free but for some reason Nivea gets a pass in this instance. Weird but kinda nostalgically fun :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads-up! Since it was on my radar, I saw it at my local Target and picked one up for 99¢!

I didn't know Nivea was so common here (and in Iran, and Canada, and ...). I was only introduced to it when I lived in Germany, so it brings back good memories for me as well!

Since the posting of this thread I purchased some from Germany based on all the props it got over the Mexican version. Now that I've got both I have to say that there is no discernible difference though my Mexican version doesn't look anything like the Mexican versions online which appear very waxy and thin. My Mexican version looks just like the German versions, thick and creamy. The only difference is in the ingredients with the German version containing no parabens so I'll continue to buy the German version for that reason. I'm still loving it and have been using it daily. If anyone is interested I got the German version here.

I was getting my hopes up for trying it (sounds lovely) until I read the 'smells like roses' part. Does it really smell like roses? (Asking because I do not like the smell of roses at all.)

Honestly, I never knew that it smelled like roses or was supposed to smell like roses.  Might just be me, though. :)

I was getting my hopes up for trying it (sounds lovely) until I read the 'smells like roses' part. Does it really smell like roses? (Asking because I do not like the smell of roses at all.)

Honestly, I never knew that it smelled like roses or was supposed to smell like roses.  Might just be me, though. :)

You know, I would have said it doesn't smell like roses at all but I just went and smelled it with the olfactory memory of roses in my mind and yes, I have to say, it does smell like roses but in a very old-fashioned, contextual kind of way. You're kind of smelling roses but you're also smelling grandmothers and lace and tea pots and lawn cotton and old-fashioned femininity. Stacia, it's so cheap you could buy a little tin and try it out. It really is lovely.

ETA In some ways it smells more like lilies than roses to me or perhaps a combo.

Weird how the German product has different ingredients than the one from the States.

*German Nivea Creme Ingredients:

Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit®), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.

* USA Nivea Creme Ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Panthenol, Alcohol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Weird how the German product has different stuff than the one from the States.

*German Nivea Creme Ingredients:

Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit®), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.

* USA Nivea Creme Ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Panthenol, Alcohol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

The petrolatum and the last two preservatives in US version are why the German version is preferred.

I grew up with it, as I'm from Germany originally.

I love the smell, but I wouldn't say its a rosey one. Its totally unique.

The odd thing is I wouldn't have said it smelled rosey either until I smelled it as though I were approaching a rose then suddenly it smelled like roses with an undertone of lilies. Almost as though my brain wired up its rose-smelling circuitry before the fact. I got my ds to do the same thing, approach it as though he were about to smell a rose and the same thing occurred for him.

Roses, lilies or not I agree its fragrance is unique and delightful.

I never thought that it smells like roses. Personally, I love a rose smell, but when I think of Nivea, that's not what comes to mind. 

Yep! I try to order online at Amazon to get the German stuff. 

Do you have a link for the exact one that you order? I'm going to do that from now on. Although I'll check the stores here also to see which version they have. 

To me Nivea smells like Nivea--and my childhood friend's Latvian mother who used it. 

Several years ago I befriended a German student at the nearby university.  She did not have a car so I would take her shopping on occasion. After one of her trips home to Germany she brought me a tin of Nivea, knowing that I preferred the German formulation.  Dear girl.

ETA:  Those of you in Chicago can buy German Nivea at the wonderful apothecary called Smallflower.  In fact, Smallflower carries a number of European toiletries that are just lovely.  Here is their Nivea page for online ordering.

Guest inoubliable

Do you have a link for the exact one that you order? I'm going to do that from now on. Although I'll check the stores here also to see which version they have. 

I don't. It's never the same item twice! I just check the description from the seller to see if it's the German creme. 

Wait. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-German-Nivea-Creme-Germany/dp/B00AU55L4K

When I need to order I search "Nivea Creme Germany" at Amazon. HTH.

To me Nivea smells like Nivea--and my childhood friend's Latvian mother who used it.

Several years ago I befriended a German student at the nearby university. She did not have a car so I would take her shopping on occasion. After one of her trips home to Germany she brought me a tin of Nivea, knowing that I preferred the German formulation. Dear girl.

ETA: Those of you in Chicago can buy German Nivea at the wonderful apothecary called Smallflower. In fact, Smallflower carries a number of European toiletries that are just lovely. Here is their Nivea page for online ordering.

This is the company I got mine from that I linked upthread. I just discovered it a couple of months ago and *love* it. I've since bought a few more things from them and I agree their toiletries are lovely with a definite European old-world feel to them. The store's history makes for a rather fascinating story, too.

This is the company I got mine from that I linked upthread. I just discovered it a couple of months ago and *love* it. I've since bought a few more things from them and I agree their toiletries are lovely with a definite European old-world feel to them. The store's history makes for a rather fascinating story, too.

Oops! I failed to follow the link.

I had a girlfriend weekend in Oak Park/Chicago two years ago. We went to Smallflower before attending a matinee of Kinky Boots. In my mind, those two things shall be forever linked!

Oops! I failed to follow the link.

I had a girlfriend weekend in Oak Park/Chicago two years ago. We went to Smallflower before attending a matinee of Kinky Boots. In my mind, those two things shall be forever linked!

Well, that is just the perfect girlfriend combo!