Menu

Bipolar people

Night Elf

Feel free to PM me. I have Bipolar 2. I've been on meds for 6 - 7 years. I'd like to get off my meds and am planning on talking to my doctor about it. I do realize the meds might be keeping the mania at bay, but what if I don't need it afterall? I'm on two meds and I just don't like taking meds if I don't absolutely need them. Have you come off your meds? How did you do? Or if you know someone with bipolar who came off their meds, how did they do? I started on the meds in the worst manic and depressive episodes I had had to date, but it still wasn't anything like what I read bipolars, presumably category 1, suffer. I just feel mine is less severe. Is it possible I only need to take meds short term if I get into another episode rather than taking it continually? I'm worried about having to take these for the rest of my life.

I come from the health professional side. I've had patients tell me they were feeling great off of their meds, while they were in classic manic behavior. Sometimes  the manic / depressive episodes are harder to bring under control the next time around. Do you want to risk another episode? How does your family feel? I'm glad you aren't considering doing this without consulting your doctor. Remember its okay to be on medication. People stay on BP meds, seizure meds, insulin... forever.  :grouphug:

I come from the health professional side. I've had patients tell me they were feeling great off of their meds, while they were in classic manic behavior. Sometimes  the manic / depressive episodes are harder to bring under control the next time around. Do you want to risk another episode? How does your family feel? I'm glad you aren't considering doing this without consulting your doctor. Remember its okay to be on medication. People stay on BP meds, seizure meds, insulin... forever.  :grouphug:

I've actually felt this way for at least a year. It's not spur of the moment. It took a while to get my meds adjusted initially but since that I've never had another episode. The only thing I suffer now is anxiety and I take Lorazepam for those. My DH is supportive of my decision with the understanding that if he notices me heading into an episode he will get me back to the doctor. It's easy to say now but I have agreed that if he feels it's serious enough to say something, i trust him. I went to the doctor initially because he seriously suggested I do so. He scared me because I'm pretty sure my mom has something but has never been diagnosed and I don't want to be in denial. One day last week I forgot my morning meds. By afternoon I was a hot mess, feeling sick and shaky. It just made me think more about how serious these meds are that they can cause that type of reaction. No, I don't want to risk another episode. I just hate having to depend on meds to such a high degree to be normal. I don't know if it's even possible to come off these meds, but that scares me too.

I know two bipolar people very well. One has been on meds for 30+ years and cannot function for more than two weeks without them before spiraling into depression. 

The other is off of meds, but keeps cycling into manic episodes - some have been quite pleasant and tolerable, some have needed hospitalization.

The medication is doing its job. You are feeling good and functioning well. It would be wise to leave things as they are.

Bipolar is one of those diagnoses that requires medical intervention to regulate. It isn't something you can wish away or work hard to eliminate.

I have seen many people go off their meds (for some reason it is very common with this diagnosis) and it never works out well in the long run.

((Hugs)) I know you simply want to move beyond this and leave the meds behind, but that really isn't realistic. I'm so sorry.

I know a woman who randomly refuses to accept the bipolar dx she's been given before and randomly cycles off the medication. It didn't go well for her relationships. When she's on an upswing, she feels great and "of course" doesn't need the medication, and when she's spiraling down, she refuses to listen to anybody, or only listens for a while, until she's feeling better.

I would strongly encourage you to listen to the advice of your medical doctor - and your family.

I've actually felt this way for at least a year. It's not spur of the moment. It took a while to get my meds adjusted initially but since that I've never had another episode. The only thing I suffer now is anxiety and I take Lorazepam for those. My DH is supportive of my decision with the understanding that if he notices me heading into an episode he will get me back to the doctor. It's easy to say now but I have agreed that if he feels it's serious enough to say something, i trust him. I went to the doctor initially because he seriously suggested I do so. He scared me because I'm pretty sure my mom has something but has never been diagnosed and I don't want to be in denial. One day last week I forgot my morning meds. By afternoon I was a hot mess, feeling sick and shaky. It just made me think more about how serious these meds are that they can cause that type of reaction. No, I don't want to risk another episode. I just hate having to depend on meds to such a high degree to be normal. I don't know if it's even possible to come off these meds, but that scares me too.

I am not a doctor nor currently working in this field as an RN but I think these meds are maintenance not permanently altering. It sounds like you have found medication that is working well for you. I worry that you are fixated on coming off of them. I hate it when I read something that sounds just like me. But you are sounding so much like so many people who quit their medication and end up quite ill. Listen to your doctor.  

:grouphug: I know you want to be able to get off the meds, but I have to agree with the others saying that listening to your doctor about this is best.   What does your doc say?  Do you have a regular therapist whose input you value?  That might be a good place to talk about this.  

If you get off your meds, and start spiraling down ... It will be hard to listen to your DH, or your family.  They will see things that you don't.  And that's a big burden to put on them - the burden of managing your mental health is huge.  If they then feel that you are not listening or that you are defensive - it will make it hard for them.  Not asking that of them could be a gift that you give to them, in some ways.  Maybe thinking of your meds that way would help.

I am on medication - lots of it - and will be for the rest of my life.  It's not for bipolar or psych issues, but I view it the same way.  It's necessary for me to function normally.  Of course, I'd prefer not to have to take meds to stay alive and well, but it's just life.  I'm grateful that there are meds available.  Just one day off, and I feel the effects.  It's frightening, but it's necessary to my body to keep living well. There is no stigma to taking meds that our bodies need to function.  Thank goodness medicine has advanced to the point that meds are available!

My oldest DS is bipolar 2, by the way.  He doesn't have manic phases at all.  He stays level or slightly below the normal level, or he dips down into massive depression.  The meds keep him from diving into a deep depression that is beyond frightening.  I know that he struggles with feeling that he doesn't need the meds, when they are working - but he tries to remember that it's *because* the meds are working so well that he feels well enough to think he doesn't need them.  It's a vicious cycle.

Wishing you well, whatever you decide.

The medication is doing its job. You are feeling good and functioning well. It would be wise to leave things as they are.

Bipolar is one of those diagnoses that requires medical intervention to regulate. It isn't something you can wish away or work hard to eliminate.

I have seen many people go off their meds (for some reason it is very common with this diagnosis) and it never works out well in the long run.

((Hugs)) I know you simply want to move beyond this and leave the meds behind, but that really isn't realistic. I'm so sorry.

I agree with this. I was Dx in 2006, and have gone off meds during two pregnancies. It did not go well on either occasion. I completely understand that it is difficult to imagine being on meds for the rest of your life, but, if they are working well for you, I would not make any changes. Big hugs.

:iagree:

:grouphug: It's very common for people with bipolar to think they no longer need meds because they're doing well, when it's actually the meds that are helping them to do so well. It sounds like you found the right combination of medications.

It's good that you plan to talk to your doctor. If your doctor thinks you should not discontinue, please don't think there's anything wrong with always having to take meds. As a PP said, there are many conditions for which you need to stay on medication for life. It's wonderful that we now have medicine to control conditions that were once beyond our control. Try to be thankful for that. :grouphug:  

Talk to your doctor and take his/her advice. My sister is bipolar; she was diagnosed about fifteen years ago. She was on meds for about seven years, then her psychiatrist slowly weaned her off of them over a really long period of time...it took three years, I think. She saw her psychiatrist twice a week the entire time, and still sees her once a week. If her doctor ever sees something worrisome, she will put her back on meds, and my sister is okay with that.

:iagree:

:grouphug: It's very common for people with bipolar to think they no longer need meds because they're doing well, when it's actually the meds that are helping them to do so well. It sounds like you found the right combination of medications.

It's good that you plan to talk to your doctor. If your doctor thinks you should not discontinue, please don't think there's anything wrong with always having to take meds. As a PP said, there are many conditions for which you need to stay on medication for life. It's wonderful that we now have medicine to control conditions that were once beyond our control. Try to be thankful for that. :grouphug:  

this is very well said.  you have something that is working well.  you have a lot to lose, and not much to gain, by changing it/eliminating it.  

i have ulcerative colitis.  i resisted maintenance meds for years. five years ago, i went on one, and it changed my life.  i will live longer, and my family is happier.  when i forget to take them, i get reminded in a hurry that i need them.  i wish bi polar were like that, but it takes days off meds for a change to occur, whereas for me, i know within hours.  it helps me not even begin to think i could stop. 

so i would caution strongly against going off meds, and take heart that many of us need to take meds for something life-long. 

hugs,

ann

I know many people who have successfully been med free and thriving for years that had BP and SZ dx's. They turned to alternitive medicine which has a high success rate when you see a trained dr. Bipolar is often cause by Pyroluria and histamine issues which mainstream folks will poo poo but I've seen it first hand and treatment works. If you can afford it people from all over the world go to Mensah Medical. They also have out reach clinics and many will even do the phone consult route through direct healthcare access but it only has one visit and doesnt include follow up. There is an awsome facebook group that deals with pyroluria as well. (The group have been life saving for our family)

Thought I would add that I have a very holistic pdoc, and she strongly recommends daily doses of Omega 3 fatty acids (commonly found in fish/krill oil and flax/chia seeds). I try to take at least 3 grams per day. In addition, you might want to ask your doctor to order labwork to test for MTHFR mutation. I was positive for two mutations that are strongly correlated with mood disorders. My doctor prescribed this vitamin to assist. http://www.enlyterx.com/ The Omega 3s and methylated vitamins have both helped me tremendously -- so much so that my psych meds have been greatly reduced.

Its easier to just run whole blood histamine as mthfr just give a small piece of the puzzle. It looks like you have low histamine/overmethylation. The pill you reccd is just folate which is used in OM but will cause serious issues for undermethylated folks. I am going to ask my dr about it since both dd13 and I are on folate for OM and money is tight. Would be great if insurance covered it. Omega 3 will make the OP worse of she is pyroluric, we need omega 6 for several months before we can take 3. Its an issue very specific and unique to pyroluria.

I have one with bipolar.  IF you do decide to go off the meds ask about doing a VERY gradual weaning process----likely months or more per med.  Also make sure you have a very very strong safety net in place and family/close friends that will tell you if they notice anything off and that you will listen to them.

I see mine with bipolar on meds for a life time.

I'm on a maintenance appointment shedule with my pdoc. I only see her once every 3 months for a medication follow-up and to get a refill of the RXs. I was going to a counselor but after a long while I stopped going. We were repeating everything in every appointment and I didn't feel I was getting anything out of the appointments. DH attended a couple of appointments with me and supported my decision to stop going. If I were to have my meds adjusted, I would go back to see the counselor just to maintain contact with someone during the process. I'll talk to my doctor at next month's appointment.

FWIW, I do understand how it's common for bipolars to want to come off their meds when they are feeling good. I just wonder if there is ever an okay time to wean off the meds. I'm definitely not in a manic episode right now. I know the way I exhibit mania and I'm not experiencing that. An example is rapid thoughts. During a manic episode, my thoughts are fast and furious. It's exhausting. I'm very happy I haven't experienced that in 6 - 7 years. I can't say which is worse, the way I exhibit mania or depression. I'd rather not experience either again. I'm truly happy I don't have severe bipolar that requires hospitalization. I can't even begin to fathom what people go through with that.

I have a sister that has a bipolar dx. When she goes off of her meds, it damages her relationships and her bank account. She has also been fired because of her behavior at her place of employment.   She does not listen to anyone when she is off her meds and she does not go to her doctor when she is off of her meds, so there is no way, short of going to court, that she will get treatment. Each and every time she goes off of her meds, she has to hit bottom before she will seek treatment. 

It took a while to get my meds adjusted initially but since that I've never had another episode. 

If you go off of your meds, it could take just as long or longer to get adjusted to a new medication regimen. Are you sure you want to risk living either in a manic or depressive state for that period of time? What will that do to your daily life, to your family, to your other relationships? 

It sounds like you have found medication that is working well for you. I worry that you are fixated on coming off of them. 

This. 

If you get off your meds, and start spiraling down ... It will be hard to listen to your DH, or your family.  They will see things that you don't.  And that's a big burden to put on them - the burden of managing your mental health is huge.  If they then feel that you are not listening or that you are defensive - it will make it hard for them.  Not asking that of them could be a gift that you give to them, in some ways.  Maybe thinking of your meds that way would help.

This is very well worded. Burden is the right word. If you are capable of managing your mental health now, and it certainly sounds like you are, don't give up that capability if at all possible. It is very common for people with bipolar not to see their need for treatment. Please don't put your family in the position of having to call the police, go to court or otherwise deal with the legal system to get you the care that you need. Having to make such decisions is excruciating. 

If you decide to make changes, you might want to consider whether or not to give your husband medical power of attorney before you make any changes. That will make it much easier for him to get treatment for you if you are not able to do so on your own. This is an example of a form that can be used for that purpose, although make sure you follow your state laws when executing any such directive. 

The problem with bipolar disorder is that stability is so boring.

See a therapist to talk about why you feel like you need to ditch the meds. Then don't do it.

I would also add that, for many of us, the meds make us feel like a large part of "who we are" (e.g. creative, spontaneous, exciting) is missing. It is a normal feeling. I agree that talking about your relationship with the meds can be helpful.  

I appreciate all the responses, but wanted to clear up something for those of you who are super concerned. My symptoms aren't extreme. My depression never reached suicidal tendencies. I never wanted to die. And my mania never made me do anything crazy. Mine is just rapid thoughts that were really bad. I've read some horrifying stories about bipolar though.

I recently read a book on bipolar by a mainstream medical doctor. I think it was called Bipolar Kids. The author cited cases of people who could not tolerate meds and used natural approaches, like omega three's, light boxes, and a very strict sleep schedule. She also recognized that bipolar is a spectrum and some people can go without meds and some people can't. 

I know someone who was (mis?)diagnosed with bipolar and was finally taken off the meds--which weren't helping her feel better but making her feel worse--under the care of her psychiatrist who not only managed the meds but also insisted on doing the counselling herself. The psychiatrist re-diagnosed my friend with ADHD, and she responded extremely well to the med she was prescribed for that. It was truly life-changing. In addition to the ADHD, she had other issues that were causing her to look like she could have bipolar 2, mostly sleep difficulties caused by too much coffee, lack of exercise, and natural hormone shifts, and a toxic relationship. Addressing these things has made a huge difference.

I think the question of getting off meds is best explored with a doctor that knows the OP and will listen to her concerns.

My awesome, wonderful grandfather was bi-polar back in the 60's and 70's. He'd often get to the point where he felt fine and -- to my grandmother's dismay -- would go off his meds.

A friend's husband did just this a couple of weeks ago and ended up checking himself into a hospital because he was feeling suicidal.

I think feeling good and as if you don't need meds is part of the illness.

Alley

I appreciate all the responses, but wanted to clear up something for those of you who are super concerned. My symptoms aren't extreme. My depression never reached suicidal tendencies. I never wanted to die. And my mania never made me do anything crazy. Mine is just rapid thoughts that were really bad. I've read some horrifying stories about bipolar though.

I'd like to gently point out that your symptoms may be entirely different if you go off of your medication. Ask your doctor what you can expect to be in the range of "normal" if you decide to go off of your medication. It might help you keep from worrying. 

I am following this thread closely as my sweet. CollegeMan was diagnosed bipolar just a few months ago, and still is not stable on meds (doc just added the new. Latuda to see if it helps). I keep remembering the thread on the t.v. show E.R. With. Sally Field as the bipolar mom.

I am following this thread closely as my sweet. CollegeMan was diagnosed bipolar just a few months ago, and still is not stable on meds (doc just added the new. Latuda to see if it helps). I keep remembering the thread on the t.v. show E.R. With. Sally Field as the bipolar mom.

Well, my advice, if he wants to know, is always keep in touch with his doctor. I tell mine every little thing.