Menu

How early can you tell gender for certain on an u/s?

Jennifer132

I'm not sure if this comment was to point out that we should have been using the word "sex"? Or if this means that it's all a guessing game.

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I'm not sure it matters what the other poster meant though. I think everyone who read the title understood what I meant by gender, because colloquially it is understood that "gender u/s" refers to finding out the baby's sex at an ultrasound. :)

I had not heard of this. What do they call this blood test?

There are several out now. Harmony and Panorama are two. The test pulls the baby's DNA that is commingled in mom's blood. My insurance wouldn't cover it without elevated risk factors from the cheaper CVS blood test, and I wasn't paying $1000+ OOP.

That would depend upon the expertise of the person looking at the u/s and the expertise of the person who did the u/s, if different.

My wife's OB-GYN is an "expert" (not a word I apply frequently to people) and he does his own u/s examinations.

Before we made a trip to Orlando in May 2000 (DD was born during October 2000) he told us that he was certain the baby was a girl and we could buy things for a girl in Orlando. 

Our next door neighbor was the ex wife of an M.D. She, with her expertise, was positive the baby was going to be a boy. The OB-GYN told us he would bet her his apartment and his car, that it was a girl.

I don't remember how many weeks my wife was at the time her OB-GYN told us that he was positive it was a girl.

Whichever, the important thing is always a normal and healthy baby. GL

I was told by my midwife that ultrasound sexings are only accurate about 25 percent of the time.

That seems pretty low, but maybe it's improved since then.

The only difference it made to us was in picking out a name.  This takes us FOREVER, so a bit of lead time is helpful.  But seeing as there were only 2 possibilities, we just picked a set for each gender.

My parents did not.  They were convinced they were going to have all boys, because my dad's family had had all boys for several generations, and they had "heard" that it was the man that determines the sex.  So, yeah, both me and my sister got named at the last minute. 

The name they had all picked out and ready for that boy never got used.

(It would not actually surprise me if sex is more likely to be determined by the mother than the father.  There's a lot that can happen to a sperm once it goes on its little journey.  And with so many to choose from....)