Menu

If you had to pick ONE classic American children's book...

To give to someone, what would it be?

I am currently hosting an exchange student from Spain. I'd like to send her home with a couple of American children's books. I would like something that is definitely American, not just English language. It needs to be fairly easy to read, but interesting enough that she might read them multiple times as her English continues to improve. The only thing I can think of are Little House books, which would be fine...but I need more ideas to choose from.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Little House on the Prairie, or one in that series ... or the whole series :)

If I couldn't pick those ... maybe The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Island of the Blue Dolphins. Bridge to Terabithia. A Wrinkle in Time. Sarah, Plain and Tall. Hatchet (actually set in the Canadian wilderness, but it's an American author, Gary Paulsen). Julie of the Wolves.

All-of-a-Kind Family

Understood Betsy, which I read to pieces as a child (thank goodness it's free online now!)

Bridge to Terebithia, sure.

Dave at Night

The Wizard of Oz - she might only be familiar with the movie, so that might be fun!

The Great Brain

Harriet the Spy

Dragonwings

Bud, Not Buddy

Gee, since you primed the pump I keep thinking of older or historical fiction. Um... The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks?

Well, gee, I just realized how many of our favorite books are British.  :)  (Think Winnie the Pooh, Narnia, Mary Poppins) or Anne of Green Gables, which is Canadian.

Little House on the Prairie is a definite, but I'd also go with Mark Twain books.  Pollyanna and Little Women also fall under the American category.  What about some American stories like Paul Bunyan or Johnny Appleseed? 

My favorite poet is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow with "Paul Revere's Ride" and "Hiawatha's Childhood" falling under a decidedly American outlook.

What age is this child?

I'd say Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Little House books.

She's 12. Her sisters are 10 and 7, and also studying English, so I'm thinking it would be nice to have something that appeals to them.

I love all the ideas! This is very helpful.

She's 12. Her sisters are 10 and 7, and also studying English, so I'm thinking it would be nice to have something that appeals to them.

I love all the ideas! This is very helpful.

Definitely EB White then-- Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little. Also maybe Cricket in Times Square, Little Women, Caddie Woodlawn.  Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins books are fun. 

McClosky books are a must--Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine, Bluberries for Sal, Homer Price, Lentil, Time of Wonder. Virginia Burton books are nice--The Little House, Katy and the Big Snow, Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel.

I'd also think about the Holling books--Paddle to the Sea, Minn of the Mississippi, Pagoo.

Book of Native American legends, and tall tales (John Henry, Pecos Bill, Appleseed etc).

Little Britches by Ralph Moody-the first in the series.

I know a lot of people like Little House on the Prairie but I have 2 out of 3 girls who were bored to tears with it. 

Tom Sawyer or Hucklebrry Finn because what's more American than Mark Twain? But remember, Huck Finn has different dialects phonetically written out that can be challenging for native American-English speakers.

Wizard of Oz

Charlotte's Web

A Guide to American Christian Education lists the "Key Classics of America's Christian History and Character" for elementary students as

Little House in the Big Woods

Abigail Adams, First Lady of Faith and Courage

Benjamin West and His Cat, Grimalkin

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Noah Webster, Father of the Dictionary

Little Women

The Last of the Mohicans