Menu

creative living for a couple months (no home)

Student Mommie

So we have to leave our home soon.  We are thinking, instead of moving to another home immediately (it's a tough renters market anyway), why not take a gap?  We have a place to store our things.

Are there any creative ideas for (low cost) adventuring?  I looked into renting an RV but they are *expensive* and apparently mostly booked out this time of year!  I guess we could try to find camping but a few weeks of that sounds tedious.  Maybe just rent a car and go to grand canyon, etc?  I have no clue about this stuff.

The compact RVs I've seen online are $280+!  So yes, definitely more expensive.

If we rented a car and drove around, I was guessing we'd just stay in hotels.  FIgured around the country hotels might be cheap :)

Is renting an RV more expensive than staying in hotels?  Where would you stay if you rented a car and just drove to different sites?  

Well, I was coming in here to suggest finding a rental month to month while you look for a new home, but I see you are renters looking to not rent for a few months.

I don't know......that wouldn't sound fun to me and we have pets, so it really wouldn't be that doable either.

But since you seem more game than I am......I hope you can find something to work out for you.

Are you going to be moving within the same area. You might look into regional parks for camping. Then you can keep up either activities and work and friends without a big disruption, while still having an adventure.

Our regional parks have a 7 night limit, but there are enough parks that you can move between them and discover the history of your area as you do.

I would also add in a short or long trip with a mix of camping and motels.

What about a used camper pop up or pull behind?  We did a cross country trip that took 43 days because of all the sightsee we did.  We did some tent camping but determined the areas we were in were mostly too cold for that or we would have done a lot more of that.  You can get used campers pretty cheap at times.

There are people in South Jersey who live at campgrounds for the season (usually $1500-$2500 for the April to September season), then move into one of the shore communities that empty out for the winter (like Ocean City) when rents are really cheap.  I don't know if your in an area that would have a similar seasonal pattern but it could be an option.

How many are in your family? Ages? 

I wonder if you can find some house sitting opportunities. I know people who have college students house sit and take care of pets while they're away.  And they pay them a couple of hundred dollars a week to do it. 

We did that for three months last summer. We drove around the country (and I mean around! In a big circle, coast to coast). We tent camped, slept in only a few hotels, and stayed with family. We did it in our Subaru with two kids and a dog. We have a Yakima pod on top that was absolutely necessary for all our camping gear. 

It was epic. I will never regret that we took a chance and did that. Ever. 

We did about 23 nights of camping, but never more than 3 (maybe 4?) nights in one location. We could have stayed longer in certain places though. A lot longer. 

We did that for three months last summer. We drove around the country (and I mean around! In a big circle, coast to coast). We tent camped, slept in only a few hotels, and stayed with family. We did it in our Subaru with two kids and a dog. We have a Yakima pod on top that was absolutely necessary for all our camping gear. 

It was epic. I will never regret that we took a chance and did that. Ever. 

We did about 23 nights of camping, but never more than 3 (maybe 4?) nights in one location. We could have stayed longer in certain places though. A lot longer. 

I'm so impressed that you did this. And what great memories!

My parents did a "drive around" vacation once where they stayed in country bumpkin hotels on the cheap.

It was seriously the worst vacation of my life. Lots and lots of driving, only to get out for a bit. Soup in a cup in the car...reaaaaaaaalllly sketchy motels (the cheap ones usually aren't ridiculously nice). It was awful and I still shudder thinking about it. (I think that trip is the one that made me hate road trips with a passion. All these years later I'm finally getting over it, but we're road-tripping in a nicer way).

Why not try VRBO and see what sort of out-of-the-way places you could find to stay in?

all very interesting ideas... :)  hmmmm.... 

wow-- west coast is expensive!  even sleeping in a teepee in a forest in washington state is the same price as a hotel $150+/day!

maybe we need to drive a little further inland...

I think you can find things cheaper than this. :D It sounds like it's priced because it's unique.

thanks for hte wakeup call, lol!

what is VRBO?

My parents did a "drive around" vacation once where they stayed in country bumpkin hotels on the cheap.

It was seriously the worst vacation of my life. Lots and lots of driving, only to get out for a bit. Soup in a cup in the car...reaaaaaaaalllly sketchy motels (the cheap ones usually aren't ridiculously nice). It was awful and I still shudder thinking about it. (I think that trip is the one that made me hate road trips with a passion. All these years later I'm finally getting over it, but we're road-tripping in a nicer way).

Why not try VRBO and see what sort of out-of-the-way places you could find to stay in?

Ugh.  I wouldn't rent cabins at state parks again.  We tried that once and the place was infested with those tiny roaches that will follow you back home.

Shortly after that all the cabins in Yellowstone were closed due to HantaVirus infections.

You can find a used RV on craigslist for cheap, or a really nice multi-room tent for a few hundred dollars.  I'd opt for one of those instead.

thanks for hte wakeup call, lol!

what is VRBO?

Vacation Rental By Owner. Sometimes you can find great deals if you are staying a month during an out of season time in a given area. For instance, fall in the Outer Banks is significantly cheaper than earlier summer months.

There are many more expenses that come with an RV than just the purchase price.  Taxes, title and license fees.  Insurance is a biggie.  It's not unusual for used RV's to need new tires.  They're expensive, and so something many owners will put off purchasing if they intend to sell soon.  And also a safety issue, of course.  Having a blowout in a car is dangerous.  Having a front tire blow out on an RV is very life threatening.  Also, RVs tend to get very poor gas (or diesel) mileage.  They're very expensive to operate.  Knowledgeable RV repair people around here charge about $100/hr.  We've been RV'ing for seven years and I've yet to meet anyone who owns one who thinks it can be justified as anything but a very expensive hobby.

Another unique idea would be be to try out working in a Renn Faire or going from one SCA(Society of Creative Anachronism) event to another. I think this sounds fun but it might get old if you are not quite fond of the middle ages. You also need a new wardrobe.

Oregon state parks are **way** less expensive than Washington state parks for yurts and cabins. I'd also look into county campgrounds. They will be less developed, but are usually less expensive. 

My kids are not fans of being in the car, so I think the trick to all of this (for us) would be to not drive around a ton. 

You might want to look at this site I just found: trustedhousesitters.com.

I love your out-of-the-box thinking.

Also, we were in apts. for two years -- supposed to be six months, but it turned into two years -- and we loved it. Pool, fitness center, nice neighbors. The only time it was irritating was at the end when the apt. tried to keep as much of the deposit as possible. But we'd cleaned within an inch of the apartments life and one letter back to their initial snotty letter and the entire deposit was returned.

Alley