Menu

No series 4 for Sherlock :(

stephanier.1765

That's sad. My dd is going to be  :cursing: .

I wonder how much of it is because BBC takes so long between seasons and such. The actors have to work, so they can't put their lives on hold waiting for BBC to get their act together. Or, are the actors just not that dedicated to another season? Which, I don't think is the case, based on the things I've seen. I'd say it's BBC's fault.  :mad:

It is not BBC holding things up. The show films when the stars and the director/writer are available. Moffet also directs and writes for Doctor Who, and Cumberbatch and Freeman are both extremely busy with other projects. All three love Sherlock, so I hope that at some point they will be able to do another season.

I am seeing that there will be a several year wait, not that there will be no series 4. That isn't different than how it has been in the past.  We wait and we wait and it is always worth it. Gosh, how many years was it between series 2 and 3?

And I remember that when series 3 ended BBC did confirm that they had agreed to make a series 4. Everyone involved has said they will keep making them as long as they can get together to do it. So, I am not giving up hope. I also wasn't expecting a series 4 until around 2016 or 2017.

On no!!  I am just about start season 3...uggg  Dh and I thought we had finally found a new show to watch :(

Well there has always been a several year wait between series (or seasons as we say in the US) so there was no point in expecting a new series before 2015 at the soonest. And I think more like 2016 at the soonest.

That's sad. My dd is going to be  :cursing: .

I wonder how much of it is because BBC takes so long between seasons and such. The actors have to work, so they can't put their lives on hold waiting for BBC to get their act together. Or, are the actors just not that dedicated to another season? Which, I don't think is the case, based on the things I've seen. I'd say it's BBC's fault.  :mad:

Totally not the BBC's fault. There has always been several years between series. The BBC wants to make $$ and this is a cash cow. The actors and writers have always said they will be happy to keep making it if they can schedule it.

Why is this one article being believed over the many others that say there will be another full season?

Very good point. I will assume it is over when BBC says it's over. You can't believe Moffatt because rule #1 is Moffatt lies. And this is supposedly coming from Martin Freeman. I am suspicious that there was more to that sentence like ".....before 2016" or something like that.

And this is The Daily Mail we are talking about here. They aren't exactly reality based.

What is it with BBC and the long times between seasons??? 

I can't stand what they did with Doctor Who, introduce a new Doctor and then wait almost a year to show him.  And the Doctor Who seasons are so SHORT and SO LONG between.  Is that an English thing for all their shows?  It makes me crazy.

While I've enjoyed Sherlock and Doctor Who the tendency for these BBC shows to be gone for 2 years makes me lose interest. If they come back (I think Doctor Who is coming back in August?) I'll watch but I'm no longer excited and won't go out of my way to watch them. I can't be the only one. Doesn't BBC realize this?

This article didn't say there would be no series 4.  It just says there will likely be a Christmas special put out in 2015.  It's always been known that series 4 won't come out until 2016ish.  For a long time Benedict and Martin have said they'd like to do a series of Sherlock every few years until they are old.

What is it with BBC and the long times between seasons??? 

I can't stand what they did with Doctor Who, introduce a new Doctor and then wait almost a year to show him.  And the Doctor Who seasons are so SHORT and SO LONG between.  Is that an English thing for all their shows?  It makes me crazy.

We get spoiled in the US, that is for sure. It's just a different philosophy. First of all, the BBC is a gov't owned company and they simply can't pay what US television production companies pay. That is why every British actor wants to come here and be Hugh Laurie. You work a lot harder if you work in the US, but you get to take a treasure bath with your earnings.

The BBC doesn't have the cash to put into production etc like American TV does either. There have been grumblings that shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock suck up all the available cash and other shows go begging. So, sometimes I think the BBC stops to allow the coffers to refill before they start paying for writers etc

Patrick Stewart had a funny interview when he spoke of learning that in the US they make actors sign 5 year contracts. He thought his agent meant 5 months and simply refused to believe him that anyone could possibly mean for an actor to do the same things for years. In his entire professional life he hadn't done the same thing for more than a few months. It was the oddest thing he had ever heard of. But, the lure of so much cash is hard to turn down..if you can get the job. A hit US series is like winning the lottery. All you need is some reoccurring role in some lousy but popular TV show and an actor will never have to work again.  Right now Hugh Laurie is touring the world with his own personal blues band. Must be nice.

It isn't always such a long time between series, but it does depend on how busy the actors are and how much they cost. The lead actors for Sherlock are in BIG demand these days and they are getting a whoooooole lot more $$ doing anything else but Sherlock. They are also both committed to being in some major plays. That takes months and months. But, generally it is that BBC actors and writers and directors simply have to have other work lined up to pay the bills. They get a 6 show or 10 show contract and before that show even finishes they are looking for their next job. It is the nature of the business.

The nice part is that it means that actors in the UK are often doing TV because the commitment is managable. For example, Derek Jacobi and Ian McKellen did a TV sitcom last year. When was the last time we got to see Meryl Streep and Robert Deniro in a sitcom on NBC?

While I will be disappointed if we don't get a season 4 Sherlock, I will always hold a grudge against the BBC for canceling the Hours show. Best show ever.

That was a good show. I hate that it ended on such a cliffhanger, too. 

(BTW for anyone who hasn't seen it, Peter Capaldi—the next Doctor—gave a fantastic performance in The Hours, as did everyone else.)

We get spoiled in the US, that is for sure. It's just a different philosophy. First of all, the BBC is a gov't owned company and they simply can't pay what US television production companies pay. That is why every British actor wants to come here and be Hugh Laurie. You work a lot harder if you work in the US, but you get to take a treasure bath with your earnings.

The BBC doesn't have the cash to put into production etc like American TV does either. There have been grumblings that shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock suck up all the available cash and other shows go begging. So, sometimes I think the BBC stops to allow the coffers to refill before they start paying for writers etc

Patrick Stewart had a funny interview when he spoke of learning that in the US they make actors sign 5 year contracts. He thought his agent meant 5 months and simply refused to believe him that anyone could possibly mean for an actor to do the same things for years. In his entire professional life he hadn't done the same thing for more than a few months. It was the oddest thing he had ever heard of. But, the lure of so much cash is hard to turn down..if you can get the job. A hit US series is like winning the lottery. All you need is some reoccurring role in some lousy but popular TV show and an actor will never have to work again.  Right now Hugh Laurie is touring the world with his own personal blues band. Must be nice.

It isn't always such a long time between series, but it does depend on how busy the actors are and how much they cost. The lead actors for Sherlock are in BIG demand these days and they are getting a whoooooole lot more $$ doing anything else but Sherlock. They are also both committed to being in some major plays. That takes months and months. But, generally it is that BBC actors and writers and directors simply have to have other work lined up to pay the bills. They get a 6 show or 10 show contract and before that show even finishes they are looking for their next job. It is the nature of the business.

The nice part is that it means that actors in the UK are often doing TV because the commitment is managable. For example, Derek Jacobi and Ian McKellen did a TV sitcom last year. When was the last time we got to see Meryl Streep and Robert Deniro in a sitcom on NBC?

Thank you for this explanation. :)

Since I'm usually late to the party w/ shows, it doesn't bother me much. Well, except Sherlock, lol. No, I'm OK waiting. But there had better be a 4th season (series in the UK)!

I always like that Doc Martin went a bit between seasons/series. I think I read that Martin Clunes and his wife, who's the show's producer, were taking time off to spend w/ their dd. 

I can't link it but I have seen two different articles saying that there will definitely be a season 4 of Sherlock.  One was in the L.A. Times just a couple of days ago.  The other is on the BBC website itself.  It just won't be soon.  Special will start shooting in January of 2015 and new season will start shooting later in the year.  Season won't air until 2016.

the BBC is a gov't owned company and they simply can't pay what US television production companies pay. Th

The BBC doesn't have the cash to put into production etc like American TV does either.

It isn't always such a long time between series, but it does depend on how busy the actors are and how much they cost. The lead actors for Sherlock are in BIG demand these days and they are getting a whoooooole lot more $$ doing anything else but Sherlock. They are also both committed to being in some major plays. ... before that show even finishes they are looking for their next job. It is the nature of the business.

The nice part is that it means that actors in the UK are often doing TV because the commitment is managable.

All good points.

Another thing to remember is that each episode of Sherlock has a running time of 85-90 minutes - almost a full-length movie. When you look at it that way, the BBC is producing 3 movies each year, which seems plenty.

All good points.

Another thing to remember is that each episode of Sherlock has a running time of 85-90 minutes - almost a full-length movie. When you look at it that way, the BBC is producing 3 movies each year, which seems plenty.

If only it were each year...