Menu

Deodorant at EIGHT?

Okay, my little gymnast STINKS.  Doesn't help we're in Texas, I'm sure.  She just stinks often and to an extreme.

I just am not comfortable with her using regular antiperspirant/deodorant. And yet I've heard some issues with some of the other options.  And obviously I want ease of use for an 8yo.  

Help?

My daughter had some underarm odor at age 7.  I got her a deodorant crystal and it works beautifully.  It is supposed to kill bacteria.

I tried it myself many years ago and it did not work so I assume that's a hormone vs. just bacteria type of reason.

ETA: Like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A80BWY/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a friend who NEEDED deodorant at age 8, and her friends were so jealous, lol. They thought she was really a grown up. She tells a funny story of how she spent the night at a friend's house and her mom MADE her take the deodorant even though she didn't want to and then her friend got all jealous and her friend's mom told her friend, "She probably BEGGED to take the deodorant, she doesn't NEED it." And my friend thought that was soooo unfair, lol. 

My girls have been needing deodorant for a while now. They turn 9 in July. My boys both require it, too. It is definitely body odor and not just being dirty either. My four can gas me out of our van. I have considered keeping deodorant in my van just to save my nose. I still have to remind them to use it after showers.

One of mine started needing it at age 4.  I thought it was me at first.  :P

She uses Toms unscented - same thing I use.

There is a lady in one of my internet communities who makes natural deodorant for kids.  I am fine using Toms, but if you want to go more natural, the name of her company is Butter Duck Farms (butterduckfarms.com).

I second the coconut oil mixture from above. An adult friend of mine uses it--says it really works. Not an antipersipirant.

I would first check showering, protein consumption, and diabetes, and would prob try the alcohol wipe. But that's just me.