Menu

She cannot grasp money or time. Camp out or move on?

I am remediating my daughter with RSA and CLE2. She is having a terrible time grasping time and money. Should I just move on a bit and come back to it or camp out? She can tell time some of the time to the quarter/half and hour but asking anything else of her stumps her. With money, she has a hard time counting change unless the coins are the same and writing amounts correctly. She will know it one day and three days later all is lost.

I'll move on. My 8 year old had problem with time and only now gets the time concept. An analog watch helps for him.  For money we played a lot of Monopoly and letting kids buy their own food when at fast food places, delis and 7Eleven.

Hubby and I just treat money and time as life skills and keep revising instead of treating it as math skills.

How old is she? Those were the two things my DD didn't get until she was the age/grade level they were commonly taught, even though she could get the rest of math fine. When she reached the age they were normally taught, they clicked.

I do think real world practice helped a lot. For us, what worked was giving her money once a week after her piano lesson and letting her pick out a snack at Walgreens, which, at that time of day was deserted, so the clerks were willing to put up with her counting her money very, very slowly. Walgreens also has the automatic change return here, so she'd get her coins from it and count them.

DD is 13 and is only now really getting it.  I keep things in small chunks, do a lot of different approaches with repetition, try to intentionally incorporate these life skills into our daily lives and circle back around for a more in depth approach periodically.  

I say move on and return later.  She may just need a lot more time.  And definitely be intentional in your own use of these life skills (talk out loud as you are reading a clock, etc), as well as helping her incorporate these skills on a regular basis even if she needs lots of scaffolding.

Give the kid a watch and allowance (in cents - maybe $0.40 or so per week) and move on.

Stop wearing your watch and ask your child the time whenever you care to know - then help her read the time. You probably want to know at least five times a day! Your child will feel useful instead of frustrated by worksheets.

Have her count how much money she has every Monday. 

She'll have time and money down before you know it.

(I did the watch trick with my two oldest kids.)

I am remediating my daughter with RSA and CLE2. She is having a terrible time grasping time and money. Should I just move on a bit and come back to it or camp out? She can tell time some of the time to the quarter/half and hour but asking anything else of her stumps her. With money, she has a hard time counting change unless the coins are the same and writing amounts correctly. She will know it one day and three days later all is lost.

I would move on in curriculum but add lots of hands-on stuff to "life."

Do you have a little clock? I would have my kids move the minute hand to each number and count by 5s. We played with the clock a lot. I tried to avoid saying "quarter after" or "quarter past" in the beginning bc I noticed it was confusing at first.

We played with real money all the time. We'd have races to see who could make "7 cents" first or whatever amount I called out. They had to pull the correct amount from the pile of coins on the table. We set up stores, too.

I'd create a daily morning folder. For two years, dd had one though I called it her calendar book. The intent was to review concepts which should only take her 10-15 minutes to complete. You could pick from below to help her review.

Every school day, dd filled in the following:

* Hundred chart for the number of school days (1, 2, 3, etc). We used it for skip-counting as well.

* 12-month calendar - she filled in the day and we talked about yesterday, tomorrow, and the day after. We also talked about the date last week and next week.

* Date writing worksheet - in words and numbers (Tuesday, May 20, 2014 and 05/20/14)

* Weather tracking - on a bar graph

* Base 10 Grouping - Using a plastic baseball card holder sheet, I had made three columns-ones, tens, hundreds. She'd add a small sticker to a small card and place it in the ones column. Once she reached ten stickers, she moved the card to the tens column. Once she had ten cards, she moved the group to the hundreds column.

* Money section - she'd make the school day number using a variety of coins. As she got better, I'd task her with different requirements. Use dimes, nickels, and pennies. Use only quarters and pennies. Use all four coins.

* Clock worksheet (laminated, but could use sheet protector)- I'd fill in times or draw hands and she'd then draw the hands or write the time.

It also helped that we had a clock with hands in our schooling area so I'd ask dd to tell me the time on ocassion. I also had dd pay for things on her own, but only when the store was empty and I was with her to help. We'd practice counting out the coins before we went through the line.

A friend had her children "pay" for school supplies using money from a jar. Need three sheets of paper, that will be 21 cents. A pencil-8 cents. How much would they all cost?

Move on. It's a developmental thing. Regarding money, I don't think you mentioned your daughter's age, but I have my older kids run into the store a lot for me (if I don't feel like dragging everyone out of car seats) and buy a gallon of milk or something. That teaches them about money as much as anything.

As a swim coach, I can tell you that hardly any of the kids can read an analog clock.  Even high schoolers.  Sad but true.

I wouldn't drill it anymore.  Get her an analog watch and ask her what time it is,frequently.

If she's young, play store; if she's older have her pay at a real store (and figure out how much she needs, what change she should get back, tax, % off for sales, etc

Also, although many math series introduce money and time in first grade, in Waldorf schools they are both in THIRD grade.  And due to their odd first grade readiness requirements, most third grade Waldorf students are at least nine.

I agree with most others.. move on in terms of the "curriculum" part of it, but integrate it to real life. I started to give my DD6 change from my transactions or purse IF she could tell me what each coin was called (nickel, dime, etc) - then, if she could tell me how much each was worth and what they were called (Dime = 10 cents, etc.), and now if she can tell me how much each is worth; we've just started this part now that she has her skip counting down.

I found that counting money clicked once she was skip counting without struggle by 2,5,10, and by 25. 

We also play money related games and they have a grocery set up with a fancy Learning Resources cash register with digital display (its reasonable priced on Amazon).

AS for the time, again, the skip counting has made it easier; though this is a much slower go. She can do "o'clock," and then anything at a 5 minute interval; but 2:13 is still not happening. It will though, I'm sure. 

My dd learned to count money very quickly, as well as to make change by doing one thing: I started carrying cash around, and payed for things when she was with me (or let her do it). If she counted the change correctly she got to keep it:). Eventually she started trying to figure out how much she will get back ahead of the cashier. We partner this with a trip to the dollar store or a place of her choice to spend it.

We also play store, we have a LR cash register. Lots of games a well. We play a version of War I tried one day where you flip cards and make change mentally from a pre-arranged value bill. You could just as easily count out those values as a race.

One of her favorite money games was called Money Bags. I think it is by LR as well.

Time: I made our dd the official time keeper for the family activities. She has an analog watch and I give her random times. Occasionally we also played for chocolate chips...if you remind me at 6:47 I have a chocolate chip for you, lol.

We also did not camp out in math until she got it, just worked it in.

Oh! One other thing that really helped. I saw a Pinterest picture where they had made an inexpensive wall clock into a 'flower' by placing colored paper petals all the way around (taped one radiating at each number on the clock). Written on the petals are the minutes that correspond. You can attach a paper stem as well, with two leaves. One long, one short and write hours and minutes as a reminder.

I've move on but try to touch on it daily. Maybe there is something she would like to save up for? That worked for teaching dd money - she sold stuff to save up for an American Girl doll. She wanted to know how much $$ she had all the time while saving, so I made her count it {with help}. After 2 months of saving / selling she both had enough to buy the doll used off ebay and had learned money skills :)

FWIW, I'll be 30 this year, and I STILL have trouble telling time on a analog clock. My 7yo can do it faster than I can :(.

Yep.  Come back to it later.  that's what we did with Mm2 this year and by the end of the year, what had been a struggle was easy.  I don't know why that is, but it seems like with time in particular you can bang your  head too early, or you can wait until they are ready and it's fairly effortless.

I camped out longer than I should have when oldest was doing mm1. I finally dropped it until she got to money/time in MM2. She did so much better! Still not 100% but she finished the chapters with out break downs over how hard it was.