Menu

Recommend your favorite 8 passenger vehicle please

caitlinsmom

We will be adopting (fingers crossed, we've been selected and are moving through the process now) a sibling group this year.  This will take our family size to 8.  We currently have a Town and Country that is on it's last leg and only seats 7.  It's time to upgrade.

We do travel frequently as a family, live 30 minutes from the nearest city, and will have lots of appointments for counseing, OT, etc.  We want something that will last a long time yet be cost effecient and affordable (well as much as an 8 passenger vehicle can be).

What vehicle do you recommend for comfort, MPG, repair costs, winter driving (if applicable to you) and overall driving ease?

Congrats.  How old are the kids?  How many car seats/boosters will you need at a time?

I like my Honda mini van.  It seats 8 and would have some room in the way back.  I like our suburban too but it is a gas hog and harder to park but it is a 1999 one ton suburban that we use for pulling the horse trailer, not general every day use.

A 3/4 ton or 1 ton 12 passenger van might be a good option that would allow you to bring a friend or 2 along, have a bit more space, etc.  The 15 passenger ones tend to be more tippy but the 12s I have seen appear very stable.

We have a 2012 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. It's great, but the 8th seat is small, uncomfortable, and really just for shorter distances. I usually keep it stowed in its niche in the back area. We have averaged between 22 and 23 mpg since getting it about 6 mos ago. It handles well in snow, even though we didn't get the AWD.

I love my Ford Expedition 4x4. Except for the gas mileage part, but we didn't buy it for MPG, we bought it for seating capacity and 4x4. And the turning radius on it is better than any car I've ever driven. I have a Cmax and a Contour. Expedition is easier to park in tight spaces than the cars!

I can whip u-turns on any normal size street in my Expedition, but have to stop and back up with my little cars. :)

Honda Pilot

AWD (at least ours)

well made - minimal repairs

small enough to drive or park anywhere without issue

decent gas mileage

nice safety features/good crash test ratings

comfortable

Downside - serious lack of trunk space

Chevy astro. We loved ours. They don't make them anymore :(

It's a truck bed not a car bed so considerably more leg room etc compared to a mini van

With 8 people you may consider just moving up to a passenger van. I like having seats for friends and more trunk space etc. we got ours when there was 9 of us though and we outgrew the astro.

Honda Odyssey (minivan).   We test drove a lot of SUVs and they had much less legroom (especially in the 3rd row) and much less "trunk" space.    I don't have 8 people in my van all the time, but have comfortably had 8 on many occasions (ages 10 to adult, with the largest age segment being 12-13 year olds).

Congrats.  How old are the kids?  How many car seats/boosters will you need at a time?

I like my Honda mini van.  It seats 8 and would have some room in the way back.  I like our suburban too but it is a gas hog and harder to park but it is a 1999 one ton suburban that we use for pulling the horse trailer, not general every day use.

A 3/4 ton or 1 ton 12 passenger van might be a good option that would allow you to bring a friend or 2 along, have a bit more space, etc.  The 15 passenger ones tend to be more tippy but the 12s I have seen appear very stable.

We will have 11, 9, 9, 8, 6, and 4.  I didn't realize they made 12 passenger vans.  I will check it out.

We have a 2012 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. It's great, but the 8th seat is small, uncomfortable, and really just for shorter distances. I usually keep it stowed in its niche in the back area. We have averaged between 22 and 23 mpg since getting it about 6 mos ago. It handles well in snow, even though we didn't get the AWD.

A friend has a Sienna and I find it crowded all around.  I didn't even realize it fit 8.

I love my Ford Expedition 4x4. Except for the gas mileage part, but we didn't buy it for MPG, we bought it for seating capacity and 4x4. And the turning radius on it is better than any car I've ever driven. I have a Cmax and a Contour. Expedition is easier to park in tight spaces than the cars!

I can whip u-turns on any normal size street in my Expedition, but have to stop and back up with my little cars. :)

How many MPG do you get if you don't mind me asking?

Honda Pilot

AWD (at least ours)

well made - minimal repairs

small enough to drive or park anywhere without issue

decent gas mileage

nice safety features/good crash test ratings

comfortable

Downside - serious lack of trunk space

A friend is selling hers.  I'll see if I can take it for a test drive.  The only time I would need trunk space is for grocery shopping and I will definately be alone for that! :)

Honda Odyssey (minivan).   We test drove a lot of SUVs and they had much less legroom (especially in the 3rd row) and much less "trunk" space.    I don't have 8 people in my van all the time, but have comfortably had 8 on many occasions (ages 10 to adult, with the largest age segment being 12-13 year olds).

What year do you have?  I've only been in a late model and it didn't seem to have much leg room.

My Suburban is way better than my old Odyssey for winter driving (steep grades and dirt roads in the mountains).  So, it depends on what you mean by winter driving.  The Suburban is more annoying to park than the Odyssey (I just replaced a side view mirror after breaking it on... the garage).

I love my Odyssey, I've been driving it for 9 years and I'm not quite ready to give it up yet.

If you the think the Odyssey/Sienna are crowded and don't have enough leg room then you will have to go with an extra large SUV (Suburban, Expedition, etc.) or a passenger van.  A regular/large SUV like the Pilot will not have more leg/cargo room than the Odyssey/Sienna.

Do you have to do a lot of winter driving? I was very disappointed in our Odyssey this winter with how it handled in the snow.  It was fine on the ice but if the snow was the heavy wet stuff and deeper it got stuck on a wet noodle and I have been winter driving for almost 30 years.  My other vans were much better in the snow than my Odyssey.

I loved our Honda Odyssey. But we had the 7 seat version. When we went to buy the 8 seat version, the Toyota Sienna was a little cheaper and was having 0% interest. We went with it. We regret that. The Honda was so much better. We will stick with Honda from now on.

We have 2009 Sienna 8-seater, all full-sized.  After that, Sienna's 8th seat went to the size of an oversized armrest.  Not sure what we will do when looking for another, though I see another poster stating that the 2013 Odyssey is a full 8th seat which Honda must have changed b/c in the past it too was also very small.  So check the year of vehicles (if buying used) also.

I have a honda pilot and I love it. That being said. The third row doesn't have enough room for my older boys (14,17) to sit comfortably. My old Yukon xl was way more spacious. The honda just fits us better now that my eldest has graduated and will be moving on. :(