Menu

Did you have cascarones?

Violet Crown

Yup.  San Antonio, so no shock there.  The library had a class on how to make your own last week.  I considered going.  You can buy them by the dozen in egg cartons at the grocery store here.

I never heard of them before moving here.  I grew up in MD and lived in VA for a while.

I remember having them when I lived in Tucson in high school, but I thought they were just decorative.  My family didn't make them but they were sold at a festival there in the fall.  The ones we had were decorated egg shells glued into a decorated cone-shaped paper holder.  We never broke them.

Dh is from San Antonio and has told us about this tradition from when he was young. He also said it was common to get dyed baby chicks. Unfortunately,  when he was very young he didn't understand what was going on and tried to hit someone over the head with a baby chick the same way that you would with a cascarone. The chick died and he is still remorseful.

we did them outside, too.  its a new tradition for us - this is the second year.  we are in the high desert of SoCal.  i am going to give the wind a week, and then have the dc sweep. (i am still in a brace, so no sweeping for me ;).  and in the meantime, we can enjoy the splash of colour, which delights all of us!

ann

We used to, at our private school's fun fair (in the spring). Dallas, TX.  Parents would make them and many families would contribute their dozen, so maybe 50 dozen,  and then the school would sell them for a quarter. What fun! What a mess! :laugh:  Great $maker, too. 

We had them, at MIL's house. We have told her that she can always host Easter as none of the rest of us care for the clean-up :) Although she did reveal that they just use a leaf-blower on the patio and let the confetti dissolve into the grass, so in that case.....maybe we would host sometime. 

We are on the TX Gulf Coast; dh is Hispanic. I'd never heard of them before him. We used to make our own when our boys were younger (pre-Brazil) but this year we bought them; less than $2/dozen, can't beat that. 

The tradition in his family is to crack them on people's heads -- we had our  youngest wear a hat and advised family to please crack the egg & sprinkle the confetti on youngest son's head (over the hat), as this is his first year (that he's old enough to remember) participating, as we were not in the US for Easter for the past 6 years. He has sensory issues anyway, so we will ease him into the tradition slowly. 

Yes.  I'm in the greater PHX area. We made 6 dozen of our own and bought 4 more dozen ready made at the local Walmart.  The kids throw them at each other out in the grass.  Since they're full of tissue paper confetti, it will be mowed into the lawn with no trouble.  One round of irrigation and they'll decompose quickly.

We also do traditional Ukrainian egg dyeing (a wax resist process with special, intense dyes) on raw eggs and  the typical grocery store dyes for hard boiled eggs.  There were also plastic eggs with candies.

So cascarones seem to exist in Texas, Arizona, and southern California. I wonder if expat Texans brought them out to the west coast?

Yup.  San Antonio, so no shock there.  The library had a class on how to make your own last week.  I considered going.  You can buy them by the dozen in egg cartons at the grocery store here.

Yes, my enthusiasm for making them at home is greatly dampened by the guy selling them for a dollar a carton at the intersection.

They were fun for the 5 seconds it took to break them--maybe we missed the point?

The fun is in the chase. :D

Dh is from San Antonio and has told us about this tradition from when he was young. He also said it was common to get dyed baby chicks. Unfortunately,  when he was very young he didn't understand what was going on and tried to hit someone over the head with a baby chick the same way that you would with a cascarone. The chick died and he is still remorseful.

Good gravy. Poor guy!

Oh, and to comment about the sweeping.... We only do them outside. (Lol)

We smash them outside too, but then everyone comes in with hair full of confetti....

This is new to me.I looked up a 'how to' on them, but I would like to know if there is a symbolic meaning behind the eggs and something about the history. I gather it's a Mexican tradition.

We are in NJ, and they are not up here, at least not that I have seen personally. 

We used to, at our private school's fun fair (in the spring). Dallas, TX.  Parents would make them and many families would contribute their dozen, so maybe 50 dozen,  and then the school would sell them for a quarter. What fun! What a mess! :laugh:  Great $maker, too. 

What a good idea. I could suggest it to my (Episcopal) church up here in NJ. Btw, I thought you were in Virginia, at an old Episcopal parish, or am I totally mixed up?

When we lived in the West we did.  And for a few years I had my mil ship a box back to us for dd's birthdays [all around Easter time].  I kept meaning to try and make them on my own....but only remembered when it was really too late.

I really miss my little girls who used to chase each other around with confetti going everywhere. <sigh> :crying:

We had them yesterday (we are in Northern VA), but only because my friend brought them!  Her mother-in-law is Hispanic (from Texas), and she sent my friend some, and my friend made some more as well.  They are a big mess, but fun!  My girls did not love having all that confetti in their hair though, LOL.