Menu

CAP's New 2014-2015 Catalog!

Aloha2U

Oooh. The 6-paragraph essay is taught in 4.

So the rest of the series may teach how to use the 6-paragraph essay for different purposes.

I was puzzled what they would do with chreia. But this is brilliant.

I wish my children were a bit older.  :drool:  lol.

I loved the catalog! I loved the opening spread of their curriculum map! It made me feel like learning really could be deep, thoughtful and peaceful.
But I'm not using any of their materials next year anyway. I have high hopes for the year after that though :o)

Looking at it makes you kind of want to drop everything you're doing though, and follow that map.  Atleast a little. ;)

Thanks! Just ordered the catalog...We are using W&R Fable right now and it is going really well. We do miss having more time for Bravewriter, so I am trying to decide if we will do just book 2 next year with BW or use book 2 and 3...This would be for 4th grade. Any thoughts? Looking at SWB's new "writing trajectory suggestions" it looks like doing the CAP books on the later end of the spectrum would be just fine...since she suggests CAP books 10, 11, 12  for 11th grade. So we could do 2 for 4th, 3 for 5th, 4&5 for 6th, 6&7 for 7th 8&9 for 8th 10,11,12 for 9th (or 12 for 10th). . . right?  What might be the negative for doing one book a year for the next two years? (We would do other writing via BW).

I am looking forward to the catalog! I love shiny new catalog season! ;)

I love SWB's new recommendations, but I thought it was a little weird that she was recommending the CAP books for later grades . . . even though the books haven't been written yet, so we haven't seen them and it's hard to be sure exactly what they'll cover and what grades they'll be best for.  Maybe she knows something we don't?

Having said that - and being just as uninformed about the future W&R books as the next gal - your plan sounds fine.  I think a plus of the CAP books is that they are short, so that you can mix and match them with other things and use them when you think it's right for your kid.  Given how much i like the first two books, I can definitely see using some of the later ones with my older dd . . . if they stay so good, if it seems like a good fit, if, if, if!  The W&R S&S does seem like it is introducing higher-level rhetoric at a pretty young age, so theoretically it could be stretched out, for sure.  But hard to say until we see it.

Confession: After viewing the series samples @ CAP, I couldn't help but contemplate the potential usefulness of Reasoning & Reading. I kept researching the series and viewing any samples I could find online, until I finally printed out all of the pages @ CAP and tried them out on my little man. I'm thinking that he may benefit from some brief, daily exercises to keep his skills sharp through the summer. Now to decide whether I want him to begin with Level 1 or Level 2.

I don't need it for Morgan, but I was thinking that I'd look through and maybe do some bits of it with Shannon, it would be perfect here at the end of the year.  But I can't tell if that will work till I actually see it, so I'm waaaaaaiiiiiting, impatiently!!  Don't tell us April if you really mean April 2 or something!!!!

Did you all know their products are available as ebooks? Page 54 of the catalogue says all their student wkbks and teacher editions are available as ebooks. So I went to the website and lo and behold...

http://classicalacademicpress.com/ebooks/

You can even rent them to save a bit!

Somebody give me a happy dance smiley!!! (I'm on my ipad and I don't remember the code.)

(I'm in Australia, so anytime I can save on shipping, I'm a happy camper!)

So I'm looking specifically at W&R. Looks like printing is limited, but I might get the ebook version of the teacher's manual and the printed student book so that I can make copies for my younger kids (allowed in the printed book copyright). But if you're happy for your student to write on separate paper you can save a bit that way as well.

:D

Did you all know their products are available as ebooks? Page 54 of the catalogue says all their student wkbks and teacher editions are available as ebooks. So I went to the website and lo and behold...

Somebody give me a happy dance smiley!!! (I'm on my ipad and I don't remember the code.)

So I'm looking specifically at W&R. Looks like printing is limited, but I might get the ebook version of the teacher's manual and the printed student book so that I can make copies for my younger kids (allowed in the printed book copyright). But if you're happy for your student to write on separate paper you can save a bit that way as well.

That is really cool!!!

(They don't send their catalog to customers *outside* the US....which is NOT cool :huh: . I love a nice catalog!)

Ok I was really excited about this...but...they wouldn't let me use the 20% off coupon...and big huge bummer-- you have to add an app to open it...it's not just a PDF you can keep with other books..??? Perhaps I am missing something, but I am finding it highly annoying at the moment ...

My blog review of W&R was quoted in their catalog!!!

I feel famous. :tongue_smilie:

I really love the looks of the next two books. Can't wait to get them in my hands!

The perfect level of fame, too! Mildly famous among homeschool moms. All the recognition you need and no paparazzi!!

I got my catalog today. Am very excited to peruse!

Soror, thank you for talking me out of buying R&R. I was very tempted!

It looks like a good fit for some of my remedial students and perhaps other people who need explicit comprehension work, like some people on the spectrum, language processing problems, etc. I have recommended it one or twice on the learning challenges board as a possibility, it has good samples so people can try it out and see.

My blog review of W&R was quoted in their catalog!!!

I feel famous. :tongue_smilie:

I really love the looks of the next two books. Can't wait to get them in my hands!

I saw that and thought "Hey! I know her!" Well, know you in the sense that I read your blog and see you on here! So cool!

Ok I was really excited about this...but...they wouldn't let me use the 20% off coupon...and big huge bummer-- you have to add an app to open it...it's not just a PDF you can keep with other books..??? Perhaps I am missing something, but I am finding it highly annoying at the moment ...

I understand that you can keep it on your computer just like any other file. It's just not in the pdf format. So you need Kno to view it instead of viewing it with Adobe Reader.

It looks like a good fit for some of my remedial students and perhaps other people who need explicit comprehension work, like some people on the spectrum, language processing problems, etc. I have recommended it one or twice on the learning challenges board as a possibility, it has good samples so people can try it out and see.

Hmmm... I guess I see the potential usage of R&R differently. I don't see it as remedial, but rather as possibly reinforcing a student's thinking and writing abilities through critical reasoning activities—a complementary (to W&R) and/or supplementary (to a grammar program) early logic if you will, but more on the actual writing skills side of things and not just comprehension per se. Am I making any sense here?

Hmmm... I guess I see the potential usage of R&R differently. I don't see it as remedial, but rather as possibly reinforcing a student's thinking and writing abilities through critical reasoning activities—a complementary (to W&R) and/or supplementary (to a grammar program) early logic if you will, but more on the actual writing skills side of things and not just comprehension per se. Am I making any sense here?

Yes, it could be used for a normal student at grade level and a remedial student would need a lower level. The comprehension activities come naturally to many, the logic not so much, but we are doing other logic and thinking things so I would not use them myself.

The 20% off expired last week. :) I ordered on Thursday and my order is already here. It came with a shiny new catalog, which makes me wish I had've added a couple things... :P

Aww shucks! Thanks for letting me know... Still going to place an order very soon!

Ok, do you want the good news... or the goods news?

I emailed CAP, inquiring about whether W&R 3 will be available for pre-order before April 22. I just received a response wherein the director shared with me that W&R 3 is on its way to their fulfillment center... and they will be able to release it on April 15 (Tuesday).  :thumbup1: