Menu

This can't be real, can it?

Excelsior! Academy

My dad used to wish there was a pill he could take so he wouldn't have to eat.  He didn't like to interrupt his work for meals.  The only thing a pill couldn't have replaced was his own cooking and chocolate pie.

One of my sons doesn't like food.  He has refused to eat a nutritious diet since he was 3 years old.  He eats dairy products, and certain breads and sweets, and that is it.  Food, in general, doesn't smell or taste good to him.

I hope that he will drink Soylent.  He probably won't even taste it, but it is worth a try! 

My dad used to wish there was a pill he could take so he wouldn't have to eat.  He didn't like to interrupt his work for meals.  The only thing a pill couldn't have replaced was his own cooking and chocolate pie.

One of my sons doesn't like food.  He has refused to eat a nutritious diet since he was 3 years old.  He eats dairy products, and certain breads and sweets, and that is it.  Food, in general, doesn't smell or taste good to him.

I hope that he will drink Soylent.  He probably won't even taste it, but it is worth a try! 

My mom is like your dad. She would probably try it.

My son is the same way, he really doesn't enjoy food. At this point neither do I, except coffee. He'd be thrilled to find something to fill his hunger that didn't involve "food". It's not overpriced, not quite in our budget, but could cut back on what we eat. 

I'll be watching this. 

Ok, I found the article that I read here. The ingredients are pretty much maltodextrin (carbs), rice protein, oils, and vitamins/minerals/electrolytes. It is not designed to be tasty, but to be efficient.

Very interesting.

I'm all about simplifying... and if this is more complete than, say, protein powder... I might be interested.

It is very Matrix-y, though.  Wonder if it'd still be effective as a 1x/day meal replacement... or if you have to go whole hog to see any health results...

powdered starch, rice protein, olive oil, raw chemical powders.  Yum!  (Not!)  

Exactly.  Add in artificial flavors and sucralose.  Gross.  I don't like eating. I have GI issues and it's given me an eating version.  But replacing it with this junk fake nutrient stuff?  Not that desperate. 

SOYLENT GREEN is made out of PEOPLE!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

Even though this is a real product the name is surely a joke.

Unless maybe the company founders are too young and too ungeeky not to have watched the movie. That's a strange thought. But these dudes all look to be like 22-26 years old. If it was inadvertent, that's comic gold.

I hate having to eat 3 or more times a day.  It's very annoying and often gets in the way of doing other things.  I'm not sure I would drink Soylent though.  It's kind of high in calories IMO.  510 per shake 670 with the oil packet.  If you're doing 3 a day, plus a bit of regular food, that's a lot of calories.  

James Bond and I occasionally drink the GNC Lean Body 25 which has 25g of protein, 8g of fiber and is 210 calories.  It is really good and keeps us full for hours.  I like to freeze the chocolate and eat it frozen (it tastes like a Frosty!).  James Bond likes his whirled up with a banana and strawberries.  It's easy to eat on the go, so that's appealing.  Oh, and it's NOT made from people.  ;) 

One of my sons doesn't like food. He has refused to eat a nutritious diet since he was 3 years old. He eats dairy products, and certain breads and sweets, and that is it. Food, in general, doesn't smell or taste good to him.

Have you tried giving him a zinc supplement? A zinc deficiency will cause food not to taste good.

My dad used to wish there was a pill he could take so he wouldn't have to eat. He didn't like to interrupt his work for meals. The only thing a pill couldn't have replaced was his own cooking and chocolate pie.

One of my sons doesn't like food. He has refused to eat a nutritious diet since he was 3 years old. He eats dairy products, and certain breads and sweets, and that is it. Food, in general, doesn't smell or taste good to him.

I hope that he will drink Soylent. He probably won't even taste it, but it is worth a try!

I knew a lady who was like that... She thought eating and food prep was a total waste of time. The funny thing is she was really overweight. Maybe she ate out of habit?

Personally I can't think of anything more boring. It kind of seems like baby formula for adults. I don't have any fact base for this but I thought there were kind of living parts to real food that are beneficial to the body. Like cultures in yoghurt and cheese etc .

Have you tried giving him a zinc supplement? A zinc deficiency will cause food not to taste good.

Yes, he's been on zinc and other supplements through the years.  He's also been through every medical and lab test known to mankind, and has been in therapy for years.  He is on the autism spectrum.  No one has ever found a reason for his dislike of the vast majority of food.  He won't try anything new unless it is sweet.

This Solyent stuff doesn't sound like it tastes good, so maybe it will to him.