Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW9

Robin M

Have started reading Connie Willis's, 'Blackout', thanks to someone's rec here. It has possibilities, I do think, though a widely divergent genre from my norm. I'm going to be intrepid with this though and give it a proper go. This Rough Magic and various other Mary Stewart titles beckon...

As I write I can hear the kathakas singing the nagma and slapping out the tal with their ghungroo. It's not unpleasant to have this as a background while I write though as in any classical arts discipline repetition is the theme so...I've heard this many times over the course of the hour.

Class will soon be over and we'll head into the widening darkness that will accompany us home. Last commute of the day ... :driving:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I've finished yet another Laura Griffin title.  Can you say author binge?  It's a good read for fans of romantic suspense novels.

Twisted by Laura Griffin

"Rookie detective Allison Doyle only has room in her life for one goal: to prove to herself and everyone else that she is every bit as capable as the men in her small-town Texas police department. But when vicious murder sends a shock wave through her community, Allison finds herself at the epicenter of a bigger challenge than she ever imagined. Legendary FBI profiler Mark Wolfe arrives to consult on the case and puts forth a startling new theory—that the crime is the handiwork not of the police’s prime suspect, but of an elusive psychopath Mark has been hunting for more than a decade. Facing skepticism from local investigators, Mark casts about for someone open-minded enough to listen to his theory—and zeroes in on Allison.

Teaming up with Mark puts Allison’s professional reputation in jeopardy—not to mention her heart—but she shoves these risks aside so she can tap into one of the FBI’s best assets. With Mark’s help, as well as an elite group of forensic scientists known as Tracers, Allison uncovers the killer’s true identity. Or does she? As the net tightens around a psychopath, Allison begins to wonder if she and Mark have trapped a killer or become ensnared."

Regards,

Kareni

After stumbling part of the way through the kindle version I gave in and ordered a hard copy of TWEM which arrived in the mail today :hurray:

Since I decided awhile ago to jump in with histories rather than novels or autobios, Robin Waterfield's translation of Herodotus's 'The Histories' is now winging its way to me as I write...

51PZSB8qIsL.jpg

I have the Landmark Edition.  I really love it.  I had a very old battered copy I pretty much memorized in high school, and then a friend accidentally kidnapped it forever.  So the Landmark edition was a present to myself a few years ago.  I admit I still haven't finished it this time through, though.  

I have this sitting on the shelf next to me as I type.  I might have to reconsider reading it.  I know it's in Omnibus I, but it just feels so daunting when paging through the introduction.

Well the timing of The Eye of God by James Rollins couldn't have been better:  I've recently been listening to the TC lectures on dark matter.  I now have to wait for Rollins to write more Sigma Novels.  :( I think there are plenty of individual titles to keep me busy should the need arise. ;)  If I had a pet peeve I would say that in this book especially it seems that every minor character drawn into the story line gets killed off to save one of the main or supporting characters.  Dang, don't sign me up to help out, it's a guaranteed death sentence in this one.  My favorite quotes: 

“This is only temporary, a small gift that hopefully leads to a greater glory. But do not waste that gift, do not set it on a shelf for some future use; grab it with both hands and live it now, live it every day."

One can't miss Albert Einstein," the distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion?â€

Finished Mortal Arts, the second Lady Darby Mystery, by Anna Lee Huber and loved it! http://www.thebigthrill.org/2013/08/mortal-arts-by-anna-lee-huber/ Very good. A bit gothic in a mentally ill person in the attic of a big house on the cliffs with a crumbling castle next door way. Looking forward to the third in this series....

Seems like several of you have read and enjoy James Rollins.  His books sound like something my 16-year-old boy would like, but I am often wary of the content of books like this.  I've looked at a few (by other authors, now forgotten) which look great but then there's a sex or rape scene (or two) and that does not work for him.

I know this author has a couple of YA books but frankly, that isn't necessarily a guarantee either.

Any comments? 

In the meantime I will request one from the library and see if I can do a little preview action.

James Rollins writes very action packed books where death and injury are common. I read the first two in the series and liked them but am having problems remembering them beyond the plot line. :lol: I can tell you I keep bookshelves at goodreads for each child, I remember thinking ds would like them but they are not on his shelf. Must of had a reason, no idea what it was but....

Seems like several of you have read and enjoy James Rollins.  His books sound like something my 16-year-old boy would like, but I am often wary of the content of books like this.  I've looked at a few (by other authors, now forgotten) which look great but then there's a sex or rape scene (or two) and that does not work for him.

I know this author has a couple of YA books but frankly, that isn't necessarily a guarantee either.

Any comments? 

In the meantime I will request one from the library and see if I can do a little preview action.

Angel -- The term steampunk is one that I have had an extremely hard time wrapping my mind around. Mechanical devices do seem to be a must. Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway is not steampunk because not Victorian but it does use the mechanical devices in a way I loved. Totally different than the Gail Carriger you are currently reading. This list is interesting too. http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/2010/02/collection-development/steampunk-20-core-titles/

I think Steampunk is a re-imagining of the technical explosion of our digital age. Instead of digital technology it imagines an even greater explosion in mechanical technology during the Victorian era (kind of a Babbage world taken to extreme). Really, I think Steampunk is just the overlayering of some of our thoughts and themes over another era. Since that explosion didn't happen everything is speculative so we can manipulate it to have adventures and explore ideas we're interested in. 

Good morning my bookish friends!

Aurora Borealis photos from the UK this morning are stunning!

606x341_258382.jpg?1393583431

Holy moly!  Did you take that picture?!!  If I may ask, what part of the UK are you in?  My daughter's in Edinburgh and hasn't mentioned a thing.

How.cool.is.that.  I am so jealous...

Good morning my bookish friends!

Aurora Borealis photos from the UK this morning are stunning!

[

The news reports say can be seen as far south as the M4(main road out of London going west). We have lived in the north of England for 6+ years and still not seen the Northern Lights for sure. Slightly bright odd skys but not like Jane's photo. We try every time the news reports them......not there now so who knows.

The news reports say can be seen as far south as the M4(main road out of London going west). We have lived in the north of England for 6+ years and still not seen the Northern Lights for sure. Slightly bright odd skys but not like Jane's photo. We try every time the news reports them......not there now so who knows.

I had wondered if some of the photos were enhanced by Photo Shop but there are some amazing videos too.  Gosh, I would love to see the Northern Lights at some point.  On my list...

Don't I wish!  The photo is off the Internet from a Euronews story. I should have given credit.

Yes, lovely photos. I can't get your link to open (my computer issue not your link) so I apologize if this is what you linked but a friend sent me this video and story of them a few days ago.

I'm already a fan of his (Eat to Live), but have been a very lazy vegetarian for many, many years (as in, I eat all the bad stuff like pasta, & cheese, & prepackaged food, & so on --

Cheese, bad?...them's fightin' words, woman

Last night I read Maya Banks' After the Storm (A KGI Novel).

Before reading the book, I was already aware that the author had apologized to readers who were disappointed by it.  It fell short of my expectations and did not measure up to other books in the series not because of the story the author chose to tell but because the author fell into the old trap of telling rather than showing. 

"Over the years, Donovan Kelly has fought relentlessly for justice, women and children always holding a special place in his heart. Working side by side with his brothers, Donovan has witnessed firsthand the toll it’s taken—physically, mentally, and emotionally—on his loved ones, and the innocent lives caught in the crossfire. What he never expects is for his next mission to happen right on his home turf—or for it to take a very personal turn.

Picturesque Kentucky Lake is the perfect place for a soul in search of safe harbor. A beautiful stranger has arrived—desperate, breathless, and on the run from a dark past closing in on her and the younger siblings she has vowed to protect. Donovan must now draw on every resource at his disposal—if he wants to save a woman and the children who may prove to be his destiny."

Regards,

Kareni

Couldn't resist this kindle daily deal, The Lemon Tree, at $1.99 ::

"In 1967, Bashir Al-Khayri, a Palestinian twenty-five-year-old, journeyed to Israel, with the goal of seeing the beloved old stone house, with the lemon tree behind it, that he and his family had fled nineteen years earlier. To his surprise, when he found the house he was greeted by Dalia Ashkenazi Landau, a nineteen-year-old Israeli college student, whose family fled Europe for Israel following the Holocaust. On the stoop of their shared home, Dalia and Bashir began a rare friendship, forged in the aftermath of war and tested over the next thirty-five years in ways that neither could imagine on that summer day in 1967. Based on extensive research, and springing from his enormously resonant documentary that aired on NPR’s Fresh Air in 1998, Sandy Tolan brings the Israeli-Palestinian conflict down to its most human level, suggesting that even amid the bleakest political realities there exist stories of hope and reconciliation."

Seems like several of you have read and enjoy James Rollins. His books sound like something my 16-year-old boy would like, but I am often wary of the content of books like this. I've looked at a few (by other authors, now forgotten) which look great but then there's a sex or rape scene (or two) and that does not work for him.

Any comments?

I don't remember there being much sex in any of his sigma series. Stories were quite action packed and more about the quests. If there was any sex or romance, it wasn't graphic. If you are worried about it, so a quick word search on amazon inside look for each book such as sex or kiss or something like that so see what comes up. Although you can't go wrong with reading them yourself if like action adventure.

Last night I read Maya Banks' After the Storm (A KGI Novel).

Before reading the book, I was already aware that the author had apologized to readers who were disappointed by it. It fell short of my expectations and did not measure up to other books in the series not because of the story the author chose to tell but because the author fell into the old trap of telling rather than showing.

"Over the years, Donovan Kelly has fought relentlessly for justice, women and children always holding a special place in his heart. Working side by side with his brothers, Donovan has witnessed firsthand the toll it’s taken—physically, mentally, and emotionally—on his loved ones, and the innocent lives caught in the crossfire. What he never expects is for his next mission to happen right on his home turf—or for it to take a very personal turn.

Picturesque Kentucky Lake is the perfect place for a soul in search of safe harbor. A beautiful g to stranger has arrived—desperate, breathless, and on the run from a dark past closing in on her and the younger siblings she has vowed to protect. Donovan must now draw on every resource at his disposal—if he wants to save a woman and the children who may prove to be his destiny."

Regards,adders

Kareni

Weird. I read her apology and really didn't think it was necessary. I'm not always going to 100% like every single book one author puts out. If someone is a fan of her work, they'll keep reading her stories as long as they don't all start going downhill. This is similar to someone recently asking Nora Roberts if she had a ghost writer now because the last book Concealed in Death was so different,just as Thankless in Death was so violent. Roberts was very insulted to say the least and the woman who ask was clueless that it was an insulting question and what it implied. These days with the internet and instant reactions and the authors being so available to their readers and having a somewhat more intimate relationship with them, I guess it makes the readers think they can tell writers how to write.

I have such an ambivalent relationship with 'poignant'.

I've choked up a few times, but I really don't see how this book could go in any other direction than "poignant". The author set it up in such a way that it has to lead there. At least I think so, unless the ending will not be as predictable as I think it will.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's the way it is. I'm at 82%.

I'll finish it tonight as I'll be killing time while ds is at a dance. To go home would be silly given that it's a 3 hour dance, and is a 45 minute drive from home. So, I'll go to the nearby Barnes and Noble, buy coffee and maybe a danish, and read on my Kindle in the land of the Nook*.  :lol:

*I do plan to browse a bit. There are actually a few books I want in physical form that I might end up buying. 

I've choked up a few times, but I really don't see how this book could go in any other direction than "poignant". The author set it up in such a way that it has to lead there. At least I think so, unless the ending will not be as predictable as I think it will.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's the way it is. I'm at 82%.

I'll finish it tonight as I'll be killing time while ds is at a dance. To go home would be silly given that it's a 3 hour dance, and is a 45 minute drive from home. So, I'll go to the nearby Barnes and Noble, buy coffee and maybe a danish, and read on my Kindle in the land of the Nook*.  :lol:

*I do plan to browse a bit. There are actually a few books I want in physical form that I might end up buying. 

You're on the right track. I had the same reaction to the book. LOL funny at first, then less so as the story progresses into more poignant territory.

I can *so* picture Jason Bateman & Tina Fey doing these characters, can't you? I think this is one that will be easy to translate into a fun/poignant film, regardless of whether or not they stay mostly true to the story or not.

Have fun reading & browsing! Sounds like a great plan.

Onceuponatime, I read a lot of Alice Hoffman at one point and really enjoyed her. I went back to her last year with The Dovekeepers which looked like something I would enjoy but I couldn't get into it at the time. That was pre-kindle however and rereading the GR description I'm tempted to try again. Not that I need another book to add to the stacks. I'm gathering this is a common occurrence among BaWers?

You offered the link but for those who may not be inclined to click on links, see what you are missing!

sentence-diagrams.png

Just so you all know-  I'm not scheduled to learn how to diagram a sentence until 2015.   :lol:

We finished listening to "The Trumpet of the Swan" today.  I almost wish the trumpet selections had been longer in the reading and overall thought it a great one for little people.

As for browsing bookshelves, the kids are against that idea.  It seems the entire shelf should just come home with us.  So these days I put a bunch of books on hold and run in while Dh and everyone else waits in the car.  I guess I have a get away car...... :driving:

Since we've discussed authors' personal beliefs in relation to whether or not we choose to read their books, here's an author with a reason that will warm your heart...

The sweetest thing: Seven-year-old raises $750,000 by writing book called 'Chocolate Bar' to help his best friend with rare genetic condition

And if you decide you're interested in purchasing it...

http://chocolatebarbook.com/

:thumbup1:

Couldn't resist this kindle daily deal, The Lemon Tree, at $1.99 ::

"In 1967, Bashir Al-Khayri, a Palestinian twenty-five-year-old, journeyed to Israel, with the goal of seeing the beloved old stone house, with the lemon tree behind it, that he and his family had fled nineteen years earlier. To his surprise, when he found the house he was greeted by Dalia Ashkenazi Landau, a nineteen-year-old Israeli college student, whose family fled Europe for Israel following the Holocaust. On the stoop of their shared home, Dalia and Bashir began a rare friendship, forged in the aftermath of war and tested over the next thirty-five years in ways that neither could imagine on that summer day in 1967. Based on extensive research, and springing from his enormously resonant documentary that aired on NPR’s Fresh Air in 1998, Sandy Tolan brings the Israeli-Palestinian conflict down to its most human level, suggesting that even amid the bleakest political realities there exist stories of hope and reconciliation."

Thanks for posting this. Even though the library has a copy, I decided to go ahead & get a kindle copy too. It might be a good combo for me to read with Gate of the Sun by Elias Khoury (a book I have on my shelves).

I finished yet another Laura Griffin romantic suspense book which I enjoyed.

Thread of Fear

"Forensic artist Fiona Glass is the best in the business -- which is precisely why she's quitting. Her skill at mining victims' memories to re-create the faces of sadistic criminals has left her haunted and wary, and only Jack Bowman's dogged persistence convinces her to help him. The rugged police chief is hunting a serial killer who's targeting teenage girls. But what seems like a simple assignment is fraught with complications, including a searing attraction to Jack that's tempting Fiona to let her guard down in potentially dangerous ways.

Jack never intended for Fiona to become so deeply involved in the case -- or in his life. But every instinct tells him she's his best hope for finding a psychopath who's lurking in plain sight, growing more ruthless with each passing day. And now that Fiona is right in the killer's crosshairs, the only way to keep her safe is to unravel a small town's darkest secrets, one terrifying thread at a time...."

I also started but did not finish the author's first book ~ One Last Breath.  I may pick it up again (but there are all those other books on my pile).  The author's work has definitely improved over time.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for posting this. Even though the library has a copy, I decided to go ahead & get a kindle copy too. It might be a good combo for me to read with Gate of the Sun by Elias Khoury (a book I have on my shelves).

You might like this also, The Promised Land. I'm kind of biased as the author is a friend of mine but it seems like it might be your kind of story.

Fifty NYRB books on sale for 50% off...

http://www.nybooks.com/books/wintersale2014/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYRB+Winter+Sale&utm_content=NYRB+Winter+Sale+CID_4433edc4c834b1d8cfd2cdd2503d19b2&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Shop%20Now 

ETA: One of the books is The Selected Poems of Osip Mandelstam. shukriyya, didn't you post about his poetry? Ohhh. And The Stuffed Owl: An Anthology of Bad Verse is on there too!

Last night I finished Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run) by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux which is book four in a mystery series that features two male FBI agents who have a relationship.  I enjoyed it, but I do recommend starting with the first book in the series, Cut & Run, as the relationship develops with each book.

"Baltimore, Maryland, is a city in alarming distress. Rising violence is fanning the flames of public outrage, and all law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, are catching blame. Thus the FBI's latest ideas to improve public relations: a municipal softball league and workshops for community leaders. But the new commitments just mean more time Special Agents Ty Grady and Zane Garrett have to spend apart when they're happily exploring how to be more than by-the-book partners.

Then the latest spate of crime explodes in their faces-literally-throwing the city, the Bureau, and Ty and Zane's volatile partnership both in and out of the office into chaos. They're hip-deep in trouble, trying to track down bombers and bank robbers in the dark with very few clues, and the only way to reach the light at the end of the tunnel together requires Ty and Zane to close their eyes and trust each other to the fiery end."

Regards,

Kareni

What to do? It is becoming more and more obvious that I have read The Angel's Game before. My reading feels clairvoyant as I continually see one step ahead. However, I've searched all my booklists and can not find a record of it. I guess for now I'll keep reading, since I'm already into the story.

What to do? It is becoming more and more obvious that I have read The Angel's Game before. My reading feels clairvoyant as I continually see one step ahead. However, I've searched all my booklists and can not find a record of it. I guess for now I'll keep reading, since I'm already into the story.

:lol:  I did that with Love in the Time of Cholera. Clairvoyant is exactly the way to describe it. It's eerie not being able to remember having read it, yet already knowing everything that happens!

(In my case, I finally figured out that I had started it years previously, read a decent amount, hated it, stopped reading it & apparently erased it from my mind. Fast forward to years after that, reading it, feeling an eerie clairvoyance until I finally hit a part that I didn't recognize.... After racking my brains for quite awhile, I finally figured out what had happened. I did manage to finish it on the second go-around, but still did not like it at all.)

Hope it's at least a book you enjoy! :laugh:

14. "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare" by Ken Ludwig. First saw this discussed somewhere on the board, but neither library I have access to had it at the time. Stumbled across it recently in the "new acquisition" area when I was searching for something else. Loved it so much that I splurged for my own copy! We are going to try it during some of our more focused moments.

13. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
12. "Code Name Verity" by Elizabeth Wein.
11. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
10. "With Healing in His Wings" ed. by Camille Fronk Olson & Thomas A. Wayment (LDS).
9. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling.
8. "The Good Knight" by Sarah Woodbury.

7. "Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley.
6. "The Continuous Conversion" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).
5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).
4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
2. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)
1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

It was a tough year for us last year (steadily worsening mental health issues in DH and DS), and it doesn't look to be over yet, so at least for the beginning of the year, I'll be reading not so much for intellectual challenge or entertainment, but more for, um, I don't know, emotional and spiritual recentering. I don't know what else to call it. Also for information needed to understand what's going on. I don't plan to sum up what I'm reading for a while, just list the title and author, and since many will probably be by authors from my faith (LDS), I'll put that in parenthesis when it applies as well.

Hi Everyone!

I'm late. ;)

My dd and I traveled back down to So CA this week for a speech and debate tournament and I came home sick so I've basically been in bed for 2 days.

I'm finishing up a Fannie Flagg I've not read before: Daisy Fay and the Miracle ManI love Flagg as a storyteller and am enjoying this one a lot. 

I'm also listening to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Having one kid who is high functioning with Asperger's and another that I suppose is the same, it is an interesting trip into the mind of those who think differently. 

I've been listening to audio books lately when I need to multitask and can't hold a book. Any recommendations for some good ones?

14. "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare" by Ken Ludwig. First saw this discussed somewhere on the board, but neither library I have access to had it at the time. Stumbled across it recently in the "new acquisition" area when I was searching for something else. Loved it so much that I splurged for my own copy! We are going to try it during some of our more focused moments

I read this last year and loved it, too!

I finished a book today: The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt by Elizabeth Payne. It was very well-written and reminded me why I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was a girl. :) I don't know which was more interesting - the stories of the Pharaohs or the stories of how archaeologists found various artifacts and clues to Egypt's past. It's meant for older kids (my dd is reading it as well), but I think anyone interested in ancient Egypt would enjoy it.