Menu

I know I shouldn't vent

Night Elf

I got a new laptop. I'm truly grateful that I was able to buy a new laptop, but I don't like this new one yet. Of course, I've only had it one day. Keys are moved around, the track pad is weird, it's heavy and big, and it has Windows 8.1, whatever that means. I hate change. THe coolest feature is it's a touch screen. I didn't think I'd like it and I don't have to use it, but it's kind of fun to play with, at least until I acidentally touch the screen and it changes and I have to figure out how to get back to what I'm doing. I know I'll get used to it. I'm just impatient.

We did order my laptop online through HP because DH gets an employee discount. I had no choice but to get Windows 8. Using the desktop is similar to my Windows 7, so that's not too bad. I still haven't figured out how to find the things I used to get on the start button though. And I had Office preloaded and I didn't get Publisher. Apparently it's not offered on the one time price of the home version. I'd have to get a subscription to get it. That's so stupid. We don't use it often, but ds has to do a brochure for English and I want him to use Publisher and not Word. He's going to use my old laptop and just hope it doesn't crash while he's working on it.

So now, another stupid thing, I was trying to update Adobe Flash for Firefox and ended up with malware or a virus. I've tried everything I know to do and it's still there. Since I have a one-year tech support program with Geek Squad, I'm taking it in tonight to see if they can find it. If they can't, I'm going to ask if restoring to factory condition will take care of it. We tried restoring my last laptop and it didn't have the option. I'm hoping this laptop will. I've only had this thing for 24 hours!

You know, if I remember right, I got the same laptop, the HP Envy, right?

I really don't like it either.... :leaving:

Windows 8 (spawn of Satan indeed) isn't an issue (although that's what it has) because DH was able to tweak it so I could get to most everything from the desktop screen. Don't ask, I couldn't tell you how if my life depended on it. :lol:

But it is heavy and a bit clunky. I'm getting used to the key placement... But I HATE the touchpad. I have to try several times before I can get it to do what I want. We did read a review or two along those lines but I admit I chalked it up to those being user error based on some other things they said. Now, I'm not thinking so.

We're still in the return period, so I'm debating if I want to do something else. Just wanted to commiserate.

I have yet to find anyone that actually likes windows 8. Most just tolerate it.

My daughter loves it for the new interface which seems to be everybody else's issue. What she hats is that it's a lit more work to get "under the hood" and changes settings and such for game mods and other geeky stuff.

So now, another stupid thing, I was trying to update Adobe Flash for Firefox and ended up with malware or a virus. I've tried everything I know to do and it's still there. Since I have a one-year tech support program with Geek Squad, I'm taking it in tonight to see if they can find it. If they can't, I'm going to ask if restoring to factory condition will take care of it. We tried restoring my last laptop and it didn't have the option. I'm hoping this laptop will. I've only had this thing for 24 hours!

Yes, this happened to me too. It was malware. I was able to find it and get rid of it, though.

I'm still trying to figure it out and am in survival mode on windows 8. Is it sad that I don't even know how to turn the computer off besides physically pushing the button on the computer.

I finally figured this one out on my touch screen laptop. I pull a window from the right side of the screen, click settings, then click power options.

Yes, this happened to me too. It was malware. I was able to find it and get rid of it, though.

I think I found it. The first thing I had to get rid of was Conduit. Then I ran a scan with Malware Bytes. Then I found a bad add-on to firefox called hilightly. I think it's all gone now. If not, I"m going to take it to geek squad because I'm out of ideas.

We did order my laptop online through HP because DH gets an employee discount. I had no choice but to get Windows 8. Using the desktop is similar to my Windows 7, so that's not too bad. I still haven't figured out how to find the things I used to get on the start button though. And I had Office preloaded and I didn't get Publisher. Apparently it's not offered on the one time price of the home version. I'd have to get a subscription to get it. That's so stupid. We don't use it often, but ds has to do a brochure for English and I want him to use Publisher and not Word. He's going to use my old laptop and just hope it doesn't crash while he's working on it.

I had an HP Envy for a few weeks. I hated it, along with Windows 8. Couldn't get it to connect to my university's wi-fi on campus. Geek Squad let me exchange it for something else (was still within the 2 week return period too), they didn't even look at it. They just assumed it was a hardware problem. They said they've had a lot of problems with HP. I chose a Toshiba, non-touch screen and much, much happier. I'm navigating 8 a lot easier without the touch screen. The HP, for whatever reason, was really awkward to use. 

My dh bought a new laptop last year with Windows 8 on it. He's decided that they obviously took someone into the development department at Microsoft and said, "Please design a Windows version that is the most convoluted, difficult to use, and ridiculous interface EVER." And that's what Microsoft chose to release as Windows 8. He. hates. it.

You don't have to use Windows 8. I put a few links in my sig for you to click on or not, but it's not really on topic with the purposes of this board so we should probably take it to private message if it's something I can help you (or any curious lurkers) with.

Hang in there you guys, you will adjust.  My husband has a new Yoga Lenova Pro2 with Windows 8 and has hasn't had any problems.  The touch screen is great and the light weight is truly stunning.  I have an older HP laptop with Windows 7 (Pavilion dv7) and it is so heavy in comparison!  I do some of his tech support so I had to work with the Lenova a few times to install Office and I didn't have any trouble with Windows 8.  I have a Windows Phone, maybe that is why it was so easy for me?

I've had my eye on the Surface Pro2 but the Lenova is less $$ so I might go that way when my laptop dies.  Which I am secretly hoping will be soon even though it shows no signs of falling down yet.  It's just such a bear to lug through airports, especially when my chivalrous husband is not there to carry it for me.