Menu

Do you still love "Science in the Beginning?"

shinyhappypeople

Absolutely yes!

This is our 1st year homeschooling.  We started with Apologia's Swimming Creatures but couldn't even complete the 1st lesson because we were bored silly by all that reading and not an experiment in sight.  (And we're all big readers and they all love read alouds, so that's saying something ...)  I bought Science in the Beginning and it's sooooo much better for us!  We love the experiment every day and it's short and quick and to the point and then science is done - yet the lessons are still pretty meaty, especially for young elementary school kids.  It's a bit too easy for my 6th grader, but it's been great for my 4th and K'er.  My 4th grade daughter even asked me (unprompted) if we could do more of the same science series next year, so I'd call that a ringing endorsement!  :)

Glad to hear it is still working. I am wanting to buy this for next year. It really looks like it will be right up my sons alley.

:iagree:

In my case, where my oldest will be a 2nd grader next year, is that a good time to start or do you think 3rd grade would be better?

The writer of the series indicates that it's for K-6....

I'm hoping to use it with a 1st & 3rd grader next year. :)

(I might also add some lapbook components to our notebooking, if we need it to "perk" things up. :D)

I'm teaching it to a 9-12 bunch in co-op and they're loving it. We're also doing it at home with my young Kinder with enthusiasm and delight.

Could you expand a little bit about how you use it in your co-op? Does every child have a book or do you just teach the lessons to them from the book? How many times does your co-op meet a week? I was thinking about using it for our co-op but we only meet once a week. Since I don't have the book in my possession yet (hoping to find one used actually) I can't judge how I would do this as a once a week class yet.

Bumping this post to ask:  

Has anyone purchased the ready-made materials kit that goes with this program?  

If I'm remembering correctly from the materials list, the items needed are pretty basic, right?  I'm wondering if it's worth the money to have everything on hand and ready to go...  (The kit is $85 -- I think for what I'd have to actually purchase specifically for this would be a lot less than that...)

What's your experience been, in getting the experiments done?  Any problems with the materials needed?

If I'm remembering correctly from the materials list, the items needed are pretty basic, right? I'm wondering if it's worth the money to have everything on hand and ready to go... (The kit is $85 -- I think for what I'd have to actually purchase specifically for this would be a lot less than that...)

What's your experience been, in getting the experiments done? Any problems with the materials needed?

Woah! Wait!! There is a supplies kit?!? The supplies list was the main thing holding me back!

If I'm remembering correctly from the materials list, the items needed are pretty basic, right?  I'm wondering if it's worth the money to have everything on hand and ready to go...  (The kit is $85 -- I think for what I'd have to actually purchase specifically for this would be a lot less than that...)

What's your experience been, in getting the experiments done?  Any problems with the materials needed?

The supply list seemed to be pretty basic to me. Which is one of the reasons I liked it. I also remember things like food. Items that would need to be purchased fresh. So on top of the $85, you would still have to buy things. I also remember the list mentioning a cheese grater and can opener. I doubt those are included in the kit. I am not sure that an $85 kit would be worth it. However, I have not seen it, so I couldn't honestly say. Could you provide a link to it?

We still love it, though we haven't quite finished Light - 2 lessons left, iirc. Some weeks we just never get to science. That's not the book's fault though. It's mine. I really like how it's fairly quick and easy to get done when I decide to do it. :tongue_smilie:

For the light chapter, I've not needed to buy any supplies. Not sure about the others though. We did have to hunt through the house to find a CFL light bulb, as we've mostly converted to LED those bulbs that aren't still incandescent. I finally found one on the back porch light, and we were able to do that demonstration. :D

I would not pay $85 for a kit for this book. There really is very little in the supplies list that you're not likely to have around the house.

The supply list seemed to be pretty basic to me. Which is one of the reasons I liked it. I also remember things like food. Items that would need to be purchased fresh. So on top of the $85, you would still have to buy things. I also remember the list mentioning a cheese grater and can opener. I doubt those are included in the kit. I am not sure that an $85 kit would be worth it. However, I have not seen it, so I couldn't honestly say. Could you provide a link to it?

I found a link, looks like it is not quite finalized yet.

http://www.workshopplus.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3851&idcategory=407

Could you provide a link to it?

The link above is where I've seen it.  Also, CBD.com has it listed as coming soon (March) but they do not have a picture or item description yet.

I would not pay $85 for a kit for this book. There really is very little in the supplies list that you're not likely to have around the house.

Thanks.  I was leaning toward NOT getting the kit.  Most of the supplies look easy to find.  (And that'll be $85 that I can reroute to something different. :D)

I found a link, looks like it is not quite finalized yet.

http://www.workshopplus.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3851&idcategory=407

Thank you

Thanks.  I was leaning toward NOT getting the kit.  Most of the supplies look easy to find.  (And that'll be $85 that I can reroute to something different. :D)

Yes, while it looks like it will include a lot (maybe even the cheese grater and can opener I mentioned earlier - lol) I can still think of a lot better uses for the $85. 

We're a few lessons away from finishing the "light" lessons with a 3rd and 1st grader. I gush about this book. It's the first science we've done consistently. The only supplies we've had to buy were balloons.

Science including the experiments get done because the preparation is so minimal. I'm easily discouraged on such things. If the experiments weren't so easy to prepare, I would procrastinate doing them forever. Although easy, they're on point and meaningful.

All the comments about how much everyone still loves it and how easy it is to get the experiments/demonstrations done is so encouraging! However, it's making me want to just go buy the text now so I can get my hands on it and I was REALLY hoping to be able to get it used.    Must resist the urge to buy now and just be patient.............  :lol:

How prevalent is any preference to age of earth - or is it even mentioned? Is anyone deep enough in the book to tell me even (as it hasn't been out long)? Lol.

I haven't run across anything. He does reference the days  of creation obviously, but he says nothing about young earth/old earth so far. 

Are you finding there is enough 'meat' in the lessons?  How deep do the lessons go?  Are your children retaining what they've learned?  I love the idea of the easy-to-use/do experiments, I just wonder how you all find the lesson content.

I am totally being tempted to get this, but trying not to jump in too quickly since I still have some material I haven't used yet.  Gah!  :drool5:

I have it in my cart at Rainbow Resource. I'm trying to convince myself to go through with it now. :)

Let me add, my kids love science/experiments. It is easily their favorite part of the day. I am toying with doing ES:Intro to Science and Science in the Beginning at the same time. I'm not sure ow we would schedule it out yet. ES takes very little time and it looks like this may be about the same as far as time goes. I know. I'm a science junkie. I also want it to convince our co-op to use something other than Apologia.

My preschool and first grade students are learning from it, but they don't understand all of it. They have an older brother, so I'm ok with that.

As far as retention goes, my 7 year old was trying to find all of his darkest clothes to play in the snow a couple weeks ago because they would be warmer. :lol: Even my 4 year old makes comments sometimes that show he retained information about light.

Also, for those who haven't seen this, here is Dr. Wile's blog post about the series.  If you read the comments section, he answers a bunch of questions about the series, too.

ETA: here is the comment where he answers about the releases:

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Birgit. The second book (Science in the Ancient World) will be published in February or March of 2014. It has already been written and is currently being field-tested and peer-reviewed. The subsequent books are planned (Lord willing) to be published in February or March of each subsequent year. Thus, the last book in the series (Science in the 19th Century) is supposed to be published in February or March of 2017.

Thank you Alison and Ann-Marie for answering my question :)

So...theoretically, we could do:

2nd Grade: Science in the Beginning

3rd Grade: Science in the Ancient World

4th Grade: Science in the 16th and 17th Centuries

5th Grade: Science in the 18th Century

6th Grade: Science in the 19th Century

7th Grade: Exploring Creation with General Science 

8th Grade: Exploring Creation with Physical Science

9th Grade: Exploring Creation with Biology

10th Grade: Exploring Creation with Chemistry 

11th Grade: Exploring Creation with Physics

12th Grade: Human Body

Perfect.  I like to see things planned exactly like this....I'm POSITIVE it will all work out and I'll never ever have to look at another curriculum for 11 years  ;)  :lol:...except for BFSU...which I love and hate all at the same time :)

Atozmom - I'm sorry I didn't see your message before! We meet once a week and I have 30 minutes. It depends on the experiment but with met I have time to do two lessons and experiments in our time. I have the book and read the lesson aloud ti the kids then we work through the lesson experiment. Only sometimes do I send them home with an experiment to do (need a kitchen, night sky, bath tub etc). In those rare occurrences I make a copy of only the experiment page for them. (I have permission from Berean Builders). If it were the case of having the kids read before class then yes they would at least need a book per family. Our co-op is scheduled for 12weeks until the end of May and I plan to go through Light.

...wanted to add: According to my chat with RR the supply kit is being made by the same people that make the Apologia Young Explorers kits. According to the Enginerd we have 99% of things around the house for free. (Need to buy a 2-liter apparently).

Also I'm doing it fantastically well with my 4 1/2 year old kindergartener with her 2 1/2 year old sister listening. If we go through it again I wouldn't mind in the least. She asks me questions about what we discuss all the time. Today was a huge discussion on batteries and power for the house (as we've had major outages and lots of flashlight and candle usage lately!) - how it all works and relates to the light spectrum. It has also gone into anatomy discussions o. The eyes and transmission of messages to the brain.

This curricula is awesome! I cannot wait to get the ancients book even if we wait to use it until e do ancients. (We follow MP K now and Greeks and Timeline do not start until 3rd grade. However we do general picture book related world and American history seasonally and randomly. In first grade we'll have quite a few Russia books. This year we have touched on Spain numerous times and some Asia. No solid timeliness study yet.)

Would a 5th grader be too old for Science in the Beginning? I know the text is geared toward elementary, but I'm trying to figure out if it leans toward upper or lower elementary. I have next year mapped out already so if we were to try Science in the Beginning it would be for dd's 5th grade year.

Would a 5th grader be too old for Science in the Beginning? I know the text is geared toward elementary, but I'm trying to figure out if it leans toward upper or lower elementary. I have next year mapped out already so if we were to try Science in the Beginning it would be for dd's 5th grade year.

My advanced 4th grader has learned from it. I have him do the stuff for "oldest students". Prior to this book coming out, he had started Apologia General Science and was doing well with it (finished the first module and liked it - that's the boring module for most kids! :lol:). I switched him to Science in the Beginning so we could do science together. I plan to continue keeping them together next year in 5th. I'll probably need to split him out in 6th.

I don't see why it couldn't be enough for 5th grader.  I think it leans for 4th-5th, stretches a bit for 6th, but usable.  and then it has stuff for younger sibs to be included.   5th grader would do the "oldest students" like the others have mentioned. 

my opinion? If it is not enough in a specific situation or student....Why not add responsibility to the 5th grader -- have that student set up and clean up all demos.  If you feel they need more than the text.. and you have library, add in some reading (but I dont' think they have to do that necessarily since they can learn more in jr. high).   if the notebooking isn't enough..  have them write a "real" lab report every once in a while.

Atozmom - I'm sorry I didn't see your message before! We meet once a week and I have 30 minutes. It depends on the experiment but with met I have time to do two lessons and experiments in our time. I have the book and read the lesson aloud ti the kids then we work through the lesson experiment. Only sometimes do I send them home with an experiment to do (need a kitchen, night sky, bath tub etc). In those rare occurrences I make a copy of only the experiment page for them. (I have permission from Berean Builders). If it were the case of having the kids read before class then yes they would at least need a book per family. Our co-op is scheduled for 12weeks until the end of May and I plan to go through Light.

No worries!! Thank you for the explanation about how you use it. It's also great to know that Berean was willing to give you permission to make the few copies you might need.

My plan is to use it for DS in 5th next year. :001_smile:

Do you think there's any chance they will sell a science notebook/journal to go with it?  We currently use APologia Swimming Creatures and my kids LOVE the science notebook that goes along with it.  I like that there's not tons of loose papers and that there are activities already for each lesson!