Menu

Tell me not to buy BFSU Vol 3

Halcyon

Ha! I'll be no help to you. We just got through the Nature of Matter section in book 2 and I've been fighting the urge to get book 3 so I can look ahead. Can you get the .pdf as cheaply as book 1? That would be less than a venti-anything.

Do you feel t the need to hang onto it? Maybe we could work out a deal...

I finished volume 1 with two of my kids and thought it was great. This year I got through about eight lessons in volume 2, but my kids are telling dh and I that they hate our science program and hate science in general. That they hate science in general is not actually true as they want to watch Zula Patrol as much possible and enjoy other advanced science shows. They just hate the way I have been teaching volume 2. I think volume 2 seems much more theoretical than volume 1 which has necessitated that our science lessons have been mostly me trying to explain concepts at the board. Volume 1 had so many fun, clever science demonstrations/experiments that made the lessons more enjoyable. Volume 2 just doesn't have that element and hasn't been inspiring.

So therefore I don't think you should buy volume 3. Does that help?

Don't do it. If I can resist, so can you. I have the BFSU2 ebook and I honestly don't think I've even looked at it. I think you can find posts from like five years ago with me talking about how I can't figure out BFSU. 

{said in whiny voice} "But I WUUUUUV it...the content is so awesome the breadth of topics is...breathtaking...the depth is..stupendous...I WUUUUV it." 

But I don't use it. WHY IS THAT????

• 4 weeks later...

I totally understand your plea, lol.

Here is what I do when I hear the siren's call of a curriculum that I know deep down isn't something that I will really use for whatever reason.

I start planning what I WILL use. I start brainstorming what I want next years science to look like or investigate some different resources. It takes my mind off what I know I won't really use and makes me think about what I will really use.

Anyway, that is what works for me.

Reading this post just prompted me to buy it. $5? Yes. Reading BFSU reminds me of listening to a college professor, but the content is distilled for a 3rd grade level. If it only enhances my own understanding of science and how I might teach it to my kids, it's worth it. Besides, it might be the only science curriculum still available without clip art.

Halcyon, you need to think long and hard about 3 questions:

1) What do you like about BFSU?

2) Why does BFSU not get done at your house?

3) What approach to science actually works (gets done) at your house?

You need to be very very specific in your answers to actually figure out what is going on.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

{said in whiny voice} "But I WUUUUUV it...the content is so awesome the breadth of topics is...breathtaking...the depth is..stupendous...I WUUUUV it."

But I don't use it. WHY IS THAT????

Because the format is positively hostile. It's one of those programs (and there are sooo many) written to be the bestest, most comprehensive program for that subjec there is without understanding that generally homeschoolers have at least four or five other subjects they need to teach. Oh yes, and we need to cook meals, clean the house, Chase the toddler, etc.

BFSU may be the best thing since sliced bread but to use it I would have sit down and rewrite the whole thing and right now that ain't happening. Some organizational maven needs to sit Mr. Nebel down and help him make it useable.

Some organizational maven needs to sit Mr. Nebel down and help him make it useable.

This. Some *homeschooling* organization wizard needs to help Mr Nebel rewrite it. Cut out all the eduspeak and make it practical.

Can we nominate someone? :D

BTW, I own all three volumes....you can find many posts by me about trying to use BFSU, re-trying BFSU, re-re-trying BFSU. I even picked it up last month and thought of using it :lol:.

I bang out each lesson as a powerpoint so I can put in video and graphics, and yes, it's a ton of work, and yes, it took me a few years to figure that out, since I only started doing that in book 3!  I don't see why Nebel couldn't occupy some shelf space as a reference guide of sorts -- a spine off which you build your own lessons eventually.  Maybe just use him for the additional reading links and google vid ideas.

I've toyed with the idea of putting the whole 3 volumes into some sort of online or CD set in my spare time...when DD goes to college, although I strongly suspect that by then I will have found another hobby.

I bang out each lesson as a powerpoint so I can put in video and graphics, and yes, it's a ton of work, and yes, it took me a few years to figure that out, since I only started doing that in book 3! I don't see why Nebel couldn't occupy some shelf space as a reference guide of sorts -- a spine off which you build your own lessons eventually. Maybe just use him for the additional reading links and google vid ideas.

I've toyed with the idea of putting the whole 3 volumes into some sort of online or CD set in my spare time...when DD goes to college, although I strongly suspect that by then I will have found another hobby.

So how do we get a copy of your power points? :D

So how do we get a copy of your power points? :D

That's what I haven't figured out -- 'cause I'm not a powerpoint pro...at....all.

If I embed graphics, those stay with the ppt file, but if I embed a video, I think that has to stay in the same directory as the ppt, but is NOT included in the file.  Is there are way to publish the whole thing as one file, or do I have to just zip it all?

Otherwise, I don't care who sees them, complete with my bad puns and probable misspellings.  I suppose I haven't busted TOO many copyright laws if I'm not actually selling them (yet).

:huh:

That's what I haven't figured out -- 'cause I'm not a powerpoint pro...at....all.

If I embed graphics, those stay with the ppt file, but if I embed a video, I think that has to stay in the same directory as the ppt, but is NOT included in the file. Is there are way to publish the whole thing as one file, or do I have to just zip it all?

Otherwise, I don't care who sees them, complete with my bad puns and probable misspellings. I suppose I haven't busted TOO many copyright laws if I'm not actually selling them (yet).

:huh:

I'm hoping someone else will chime in and tell you how to do this because I don't know. Rather than embedding a video, could you just include a link?

I'm hoping someone else will chime in and tell you how to do this because I don't know. Rather than embedding a video, could you just include a link?

I could, but half the stuff I use is from our Discovery Streaming membership, so I don't think it would work without a login, which is why I download clips and keep them in the same directory as the ppt.

Edit -- then again, I'm still using Powerpoint 2007.  Maybe if I upgraded...

I am the super lamest BFSU person ever.  I am so embarrassed about how we use it. I have science loving kids so I am always looking for more and better science that I can do with them in the confines of my own home.

So, I have had the first BFSU on my shelf for years. I keep pulling it out and not using it because it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean the layout doesn't make sense. The lessons and concepts etc make sense just fine.

So, I am SO LAME that I am using BFSU k-2 with my third grader. We have done bits and pieces of it and started and restarted etc over the K-2 years.  This year I decided I am just plowing through as best I can. So, it is a physical science year for him. I have been using the following for the year:

BFSU

A Childcraft book #12 called "how things work"

a cheap-o standard science workbook called "Steck Vaughn Third Grade Science"

For BFSU and the S-V workbook I started out the year only using the physical science sections.

So with BFSU I did a quick re-cap of thread A. I just went through thread A from beginning to end. We had done most of it already so it went fast. Then I jumped over to Thread C and did that from beginning to end. I did BFSU twice a week. I am so pathetic I just open the book and pretty much read it to my kid. It will say things like "review the information from lesson XX about how........" so I just tell him that. I say "remember when we talked about XX and blah blah?" He says yes, because he does. Then in BFSU it might say "Pose the following question, "blah blah." and I do that. There will be a paragraph about things the student might answer and some possible ways to guide discussion but it is pretty straight forward. So I do that. Then it might give a very easy demonstration you can do. I do that or we do that or whatever. Honestly, half the time I have done no prep and I just tell my kid to grab some blocks or some cotton balls or whatever. I do always have things like balloons and straws and eye droppers and string etc.

Then maybe I find a brainpop on the subject and call it done.

For the school year I worked through threads A and C and am finishing up D. I also did some readings in the childcraft book if it seemed to have some relation to what we are doing in BFSU (I found a lot did) and very occasionally we do a sheet in the SV workbook as well. Once a week we do a Science detective exercise, but those are more about reading comprehension and I don't really think it counts as science.

When we finish thread D I am planning to go through thread B which is life science to finish the year. I am only doing it because I want to finish up the book. If I had been smart I would have done it in first grade when we did life science.

So, that is how I do it. I pick my science topic for the year and I plowed through the applicable BFSU thread. I pretty much just read out of the book. I do have stuff in the house for the demonstrations (it is all pretty simple stuff) and I don't think about it too much. Oh, and I just go through threads from beginning to end. I don't faff around with those flowcharts. They make me hyperventilate.

I swear a BFSU lesson takes about 20 mins. Easy Peasy really.

I am planning to get BFSU 2 for years 5 and 6. In 5th I will start the science cycle again. I can see us doing just the life cycle thread while I use CPO Life Science and then thread D in 6th grade when we do Earth Science.

Or I will get it next year and work through threads A and C in 4th grade and then A in 5th and D in 6th.

Because the format is positively hostile. It's one of those programs (and there are sooo many) written to be the bestest, most comprehensive program for that subjec there is without understanding that generally homeschoolers have at least four or five other subjects they need to teach. Oh yes, and we need to cook meals, clean the house, Chase the toddler, etc.

BFSU may be the best thing since sliced bread but to use it I would have sit down and rewrite the whole thing and right now that ain't happening. Some organizational maven needs to sit Mr. Nebel down and help him make it useable.

Amen. BFSU: So close but yet so far. My eyes adore you.

I bang out each lesson as a powerpoint so I can put in video and graphics, and yes, it's a ton of work, and yes, it took me a few years to figure that out, since I only started doing that in book 3!  I don't see why Nebel couldn't occupy some shelf space as a reference guide of sorts -- a spine off which you build your own lessons eventually.  Maybe just use him for the additional reading links and google vid ideas.

I started doing the same thing on a blog but lost interest after the first two chapters. I really, really, really thought I should be able to take my 12 linear feet (shelved) of grammar and logic stage science books and materials and use BFSU as the spine. That should have been possible but it wasn't; at least, not with all the other stuff I have to do all the time. I've decided to blame Nebel instead of myself.

Amen. BFSU: So close but yet so far. My eyes adore you.

I started doing the same thing on a blog but lost interest after the first two chapters. I really, really, really thought I should be able to take my 12 linear feet (shelved) of grammar and logic stage science books and materials and use BFSU as the spine. That should have been possible but it wasn't; at least, not with all the other stuff I have to do all the time. I've decided to blame Nebel instead of myself.

I'm with you.:D

I've started to cringe when I see it recommended on the boards. It IS possibly the best program out there for content and sequence but I think it's a minority of homeschoolers that can make it work as is without lots of frustration. A LOT of homeschoolers are already leery and fearful of science, I wouldn't want that worsened by people blaming themselves for not being able to make BFSU work.

I think Mr. Nebel is in to something but he isn't anywhere near the finish line.

I have found my own flow with BFSU. I am using both BFSU 1 and 2 with my 6- and 10-year-old. This is the way that has been working for us. 

I make a sequence based on the threads before the beginning of the year. I divide each BFSU in three years, and we do it leisurely over the course of the year. I also get a list of living science books to accompany the lessons and stick them in Keynote so I can see the covers.  I'm sort of a nerd, so this planning is my favorite part :P

Then week by week we go along with each thread and lesson, one for dd6, one for ds10. I try to combine them in general topic, for instance both are in Life Science right now. They hear what the other is doing and a result dd6 is catching on quickly. It looks a lot like reading from the text, but we sit down on the couch and discuss. Many times we'll watch a relevant experiment or video on NeoK12 or Bill Nye The Science Guy episode. I elaborate on the board sometimes, and occasionally we'll do hands-on activities if easy and readily available. Dd and ds both ask questions (they do science separately), then afterwards dd6 makes a little book about what she learned and ds10 adds to his science journal. He created page numbers and titles, and is adding each page. He explains a general concept in writing of what he learned, and draws as well. All this is working nicely. The different concepts keep them entertained and engaged. I point out connections and they make their own connections.

I told them once that there are many children who study one branch of science all year. They were horrified! "That would be soooo boring!" they exclaimed. Lol. They like science, especially the videos and open discussions. Ds10 delves more into it with the books as well, and I'll read a relevant book to dd6 as well, who enjoys this as well.

I did buy BFSU 3 as well, because I cannot imagine using another program. I have tried. I have failed. The pictures were colorful and it was a good program (Singapore MPH Science), but my kid didn't connect with it. He's a big picture kind of kid, concepts ring true better. I'm striving to work more on experiments, but with a toddler (she may be three, but she's a young three) messing everything around and low energy from teacher mama, we have to do what we have to do. I'm also excited about finishing BFSU for the year and doing a science project started by the kids themselves. They get to research their subject, do the whole thing just with my help.

I guess I should count the local botanical garden's program they are participating in as science as well. They research animals and habitats, create animal masks and art, and write in journals and write descriptions about plants, animals, and their environment.

All that said, Halcyon, I would say don't get it if it were this big, expensive program. But for $5 you can't really lose. You can always use it as a framework of what to study when, and go from there. Just MHO, of course.

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I just read through the 2 sections on nuclear chemistry, and they are GREAT.  I had only a superficial knowledge of how nuclear power plants work, and my kids are going to know way more about this than I ever learned in school.  

But I'm the kind of gal who really embraced BFSU through all 3 volumes and never had much of a problem with the prep work.  I just keep reading ahead, staying 1-2 lessons (sometimes more) ahead of what we are currently doing.  The lack of illustrations and a real text for the students has been more of an issue in volume 3, but we've managed to muddle through.  And I love, love Nebel's relentlessly big picture approach.  He always ties every little chemical reaction to LIFE.  

• 8 years later...

I know this is old, but in case anyone searches here anymore... I typed up these BFSU Vol 1 lesson plans and worksheets for my family. Feel free to use or share if you find them useful. (Trying to make myself feel better about the amount of time I spent working on these.... And because I love his program and agree that it needed an organizational overhaul!)

Lesson Plans:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ef4LNLOJ08VRi_BrQ0Y8upcIgEdf093-/view?usp=drivesdk

BFSU Lesson Plans Vol 1.pdf

Worksheets/Notebook Pages:

ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ABlFJ6Rd34c1uCqI54M6Gi0zA90YaPs-/view?usp=drivesdk

If this isn't working, please let me know. I can send you a copy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

On 6/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, Emely said:

I know this is old, but in case anyone searches here anymore... I typed up these BFSU Vol 1 lesson plans and worksheets for my family. Feel free to use or share if you find them useful. (Trying to make myself feel better about the amount of time I spent working on these.... And because I love his program and agree that it needed an organizational overhaul!)

This is a great resource! Thank you for sharing!

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, Emely said:

Lesson Plans:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10nqNcU7QWq7AkUyQYgRbD_PE7fhRrXDe/view?usp=sharing

Worksheets:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txP4vikMHgjxHGfKGjwHpT7ZGrHZoxH6/view?usp=sharing

This is amazing!! It make me want  to teach science to  little  kids  again!

• 3 months later...

Lesson Plans:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10nqNcU7QWq7AkUyQYgRbD_PE7fhRrXDe/view?usp=sharing

Worksheets:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txP4vikMHgjxHGfKGjwHpT7ZGrHZoxH6/view?usp=sharing

@Lovinglife123  Is this the one?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lesson Plans:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ef4LNLOJ08VRi_BrQ0Y8upcIgEdf093-/view?usp=drivesdk

BFSU Lesson Plans Vol 1.pdf 926.87 kB · 3 downloads

Worksheets/Notebook Pages:

ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ABlFJ6Rd34c1uCqI54M6Gi0zA90YaPs-/view?usp=drivesdk

If this isn't working, please let me know. I can send you a copy.

Thank you SO MUCH for giving everyone access to this and making this program even better!! Did you use the first or second edition? I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I’m about to buy the book and wanted to make sure I get the correct version. Again, THANK YOU! 

1 hour ago, Emely said:

I believe it was the 2nd edition.

I'm not sure if you need this but on this thread I posted an updated volume 1 and 2 as my email changed and some links broke with that switch.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/722252-bfsu-lesson-plans/

I'm glad you find it useful! 😊

Oh, this is so incredibly helpful!! Thank you so much!!!!