Menu

For those who eat a whole/real/no processed foods kind of diet...

saraha

Cholula, the best hot sauce. Peanut butter, I tried various options for a year including making my own and went back to Jif. Trader Joes tortillas, making my own wasn't worth it and my husband really dislikes whole grain tortillas. I also make Kraft shells and cheese macaroni for the kids about once a month.

My husband isn't as worried about real food as I am, so if he does the shopping or majority of cooking for the week all bets are off.

I've been trying harder than usual lately to eat whole foods and not processed. I thought it would be okay to cheat with some nasty potato chips and got very sick a couple of hours later. I don't care what anybody says, when I eat something that doesn't agree with me, I always know what it was and it is usually within a very short period of time, not 1-2 days.

What else do I cheat with? Pepperidge farm chocolate raspberry milano cookies.

My "whole/real/no processed foods diet" is due to multiple food sensitivities, so if I cheat, I really pay for it.  That said: potato chips.  I can't eat the cheap ones - I can't have soy, corn ,or wheat - but a bowl of "Kettle Brand" or Trader Joe's replica go down a treat from time to time.  :)  They are as tasty as they are bad for me!

I purchase tortillas- both corn and flour because they are quite inexpensive, and try hard as I might, mine just don't come out anywhere near as good.

Peanut butter, though we do buy a natural version, we just cannot get into homemade.

Yogurt.  I have a yogurt maker and can make my own, but we all just really prefer store bought yogurt.

Boxed cereal.  I buy a LOT less of this than I used to, but it is a quick and convenient breakfast to have on hand, plus I have nieces and nephews who don't eat real food, so it's nice to at least have cereal for them.  We used to go through a ton of cereal, now I buy 4 or 5 boxes about every two months or so, so we're doing much better at whole foods for breakfast.  If I could get DS to eat eggs, I think we could let the cereal go.

Came back to add Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuits.  Yum yum!! Great snack, and they are delicious plain or with cheese.

Peanut butter and fluff sandwich is something I will dream about eating, and when I wake up I crave it.

Reeces Chocolate peanut butter eggs. I will eat them til I'm nauseous, wait for the nausea to pass and then eat more. Good thing they only come around once a year. 

Salad dressing (i buy newman's own from costco), sunflower seed butter from whole foods (easy packed lunches), Orowheat oatnut bread, SF Boudin sourdough bread (grilled cheese sandwich for dinner sometimes), organic tomato ketchup, TJ's frozen cheese sticks (my DS eats them, not me), cheerios.

Bread (never got into making my own)

Crackers- we all love crunchy things 

Potato chips- I try to stick with ones that have 'potato, oil, salt' as the ingredients

Pita chips- I can eat a few and feel quite satisfied, where as I want to nibble all night on potato chips.

Beer. Usually it is  Widmer Brothers Hefe. I drink 1/2 a beer every night to help me sleep and to help my back.  It works better than muscle relaxers for me and I sleep SOOOO much better than with a sleeping pill. Other alcohol doesn't work as well, there is something specific about wheat beer for me.