Menu

What are the profile stars for?

Ann.without.an.e

Guest inoubliable

I had no idea we could star people.

How do you know what someone has starred you?

Signed,

Clueless and unobservant

Well now that would take some of the fun out of the starring if you knew who did it! =P There's no way to know unless they tell you. 

Well now that would take some of the fun out of the starring if you knew who did it! =P There's no way to know unless they tell you. 

Sorry, bad wording.  What I meant was is there any kind of notification setting for when you get starred?  Like you get notified if someone likes a post, except the notification for starring would just tell you that you'd been starred, but not by whom?

'Cause if you're acquiring stars you but you don't know unless you check your profile all the time .  . . . goodness.  Who has time for that?  I'm too busy reading and posting. ;)

I'm lost here again; I take it we aren't discussing the Rate Topic at the top-left side of a thread? (I did rate the thread with 5 stars btw.)

No, the one on your profile page.  If you go up and click on your profile.  There are stars there for other members to vote on how many stars to give you as a member.  

Once upon a time I ticked someone off and they gave me 3 stars. I've been stuck there ever since. Sniff sniff.

I just gave you 5 stars, so now your average is up to 4.   :)   

I had 5 stars last I checked, but I must have ticked someone off too, because now I have 4.   :001_rolleyes:

I do not understand why anyone would go to the bother of rating someone down. There are people here with whom I have somewhat hostile interactions, but why would I waste time going to take their stars away ? They're just stars. And I would bother because why ?

Oh well. Reward charts never worked for me either.

I'm assuming that when we get 5 stars we get to go for ice cream.

Once upon a time I ticked someone off and they gave me 3 stars. I've been stuck there ever since. Sniff sniff.

You obviously didn't tick them off enough! I got a one star rating. When I do something, I do it to the best of my ability...

Just went to look at my rating again (not something I do often!) and I have 3 now. I guess I said somethign someone liked and got a 5 from them to average a 3. I don't think people star very often!

Or, I have fallen into mediocrity. Sad day.

I just gave you 5 stars, so now your average is up to 4.   :)   

I had 5 stars last I checked, but I must have ticked someone off too, because now I have 4.   :001_rolleyes:

Well I had to post to see how many dots I had. I have 4 stars...not too bad. There is also a number in green and a word under it. What is that all about? And then there's the warning points under your dots too.

I have no clue how to give someone stars. :huh:

I do not understand why anyone would go to the bother of rating someone down. There are people here with whom I have somewhat hostile interactions, but why would I waste time going to take their stars away ? They're just stars. And I would bother because why ?

Oh well. Reward charts never worked for me either.

You obviously didn't tick them off enough! I got a one star rating. When I do something, I do it to the best of my ability...

Just went to look at my rating again (not something I do often!) and I have 3 now. I guess I said somethign someone liked and got a 5 from them to average a 3. I don't think people star very often!

Or, I have fallen into mediocrity. Sad day.

TOTALLY agree. I have a low star rating due to one thread where I voiced an unpopular opinion. Nice!

Gave you all 5 stars.  hehe

I HATE this star business with a passion. I think its such a silly thing for grown people to be rating each other based on casual conversation. Therefore, I 5-star people whenever I get the chance. Which seems to happen quite a bit when I'm on my phone and I accidentally click on someone's profile - I 5-star them before getting back to the thread. I've even 5-starred people who's opinion is opposite mine. Take THAT you star a judgers!

<snip>

Wait. Do you start with stars and lose them ? Or do you start with none and gain them ?

Well, I had to go check my stars and I have none, so now I'm wondering how it works too and if we start off with stars or no stars.

And, how does one give stars?  

You have 5 stars!

Click on a profile name, go to the profile and you will see the stars, click on how many you wish to give.

Well, I had to go check my stars and I have none, so now I'm wondering how it works too and if we start off with stars or no stars.

And, how does one give stars?  

I HATE this star business with a passion. I think its such a silly thing for grown people to be rating each other based on casual conversation. Therefore, I 5-star people whenever I get the chance. Which seems to happen quite a bit when I'm on my phone and I accidentally click on someone's profile - I 5-star them before getting back to the thread. I've even 5-starred people who's opinion is opposite mine. Take THAT you star a judgers!

That is what I do too.  I keep my place in my threads (to know what I have and haven't read) by liking posts - hey, not the intention but it works.  I also star everyone in this thread - just for fun.  

It is so silly, right?  I mean, we aren't sneetches. 

You have 5 stars!

Click on a profile name, go to the profile and you will see the stars, click on how many you wish to give.

You now have stars.  No charge :)  hehe

Aww, thanks!  :D    I'm going to start 5-starring people too!    It is kind of an odd feature though. 

I use the "like" button on a post when it makes me laugh, or, hmm, I guess, if I like it. If the OP is asking for advice on something, I'll "like" an answer if I agree but don't have anything to add.  And when I post asking a question, I "like" all the responses as an acknowledgement of people taking the time to respond.  I know it's better to do that by actually posting, but sometimes those threads can get very long and it's hard to reply to everyone. 

This is a good idea! I'm on an iPad and often miss hit either the profile or report post button. At least now I can put that to some use!

Popularity ratings and a venue for passive aggressive snits.

Exactly.

TOTALLY agree. I have a low star rating due to one thread where I voiced an unpopular opinion. Nice!

Yeah, me too. I had a hard time with it at first, and then I got a grip. Now I'm more courageous about voicing an opinion that may be unpopular, (I mean if the worst that can happen is I lose a few stupid stars) so in the end it wasn't so bad.