Menu

Random thoughts

JeneralMom

Does anyone else just have random thoughts pop into their head? DD <1 is napping and I am quietly sitting with her thinking about Sherlock Holmes when randomly "I wish I knew how to sew" and "it would be fun to visit my great grandmother's birthplace in the Himalays" rapidly popped into my head. Always throws me for a loop when it happens. Anyone else?

Sometimes I think intrusive thoughts.  :(

Like, I'll be using the blender and I think "What would happen if I was cleaning it and it suddenly when off and I lost my fingers?  How would that change my life?  I wouldn't be able to type." Then I think about why I'm even thinking about something so unpleasant and I try not to think about it.  

Does anyone else just have random thoughts pop into their head? DD <1 is napping and I am quietly sitting with her thinking about Sherlock Holmes when randomly "I wish I knew how to sew" and "it would be fun to visit my great grandmother's birthplace in the Himalays" rapidly popped into my head. Always throws me for a loop when it happens. Anyone else?

All.the.time. It's annoying.

Dd and I recently discovered that dh doesn't have "voices in his head" talking to him, whereas dd and I can't get ours to shut up (we both have multiple 'voices' yammering on/thoughts popping in all.the.time about one thing or another)! No wonder he falls asleep before his head hits the pillow!!

All. The. Time.  They mostly happen when I'm in the shower, thought I have no idea why.  I seriously think the weirdest and most random things.

This is me. It's usually things I need to do or buy, but by the time I'm out of the shower, the thing I needed to to/buy is out of my head and down the drain. Usually, it will reappear as I'm driving and going around a turn, so I can't grab a pen and write it down. :glare:

Sometimes I think intrusive thoughts.   :(

Like, I'll be using the blender and I think "What would happen if I was cleaning it and it suddenly when off and I lost my fingers?  How would that change my life?  I wouldn't be able to type." Then I think about why I'm even thinking about something so unpleasant and I try not to think about it.  

I do this. I remember once, when driving over a mountain pass filled with deep valleys and drop offs, I was going around a tight turn with only a teeny guardrail for safety, and this thought/image of my car's steering not responding to me and going straight, through the guardrail, and into the void just popped into my head.

I have had other images/thoughts like that, too, and I think those, like your blender one (I have had that one, too), is more of a fear thing than anything. I get it while cleaning the garbage disposal's rubber sleeve, too.... like, what if a ghost flips the switch while I have my hand *thisclose* to the blades and gets sucked all the way in. Eeek!

Once again, dh doesn't get these thoughts or 'visions'. He must think dd and I are certifiable! :lol:

All.the.time. It's annoying.

Dd and I recently discovered that dh doesn't have "voices in his head" talking to him, whereas dd and I can't get ours to shut up (we both have multiple 'voices' yammering on/thoughts popping in all.the.time about one thing or another)! No wonder he falls asleep before his head hits the pillow!!

Yes! Exactly! My dh is exactly the same. I like to think he just doesn't have "a rich inner life" which sometimes makes me feel better about it. :)

I have my best ideas (I think) while on the cusp of falling asleep.

DH just tells me to go to sleep lol

I tried keeping a notebook next to my bed so I could write down ideas. Often I had no idea what the notes meant the next day, probably because I was too tired to be coherent. :tongue_smilie:

Every second of the day!!! And its not just one thought at a time.  Its multiple thoughts going at the same time.  It helps me multitask since I can be having a conversation with someone and be planning my next day in my head without missing a beat with the conversation.  I tested it once and I can do 6 tasks at once. 4 in my head, hold a conversation, and do random task(dishes, laundry, read.)

Sometimes I think intrusive thoughts.   :(

I do this too.  James Bond told me he does too.  I think a lot of people do this.

Here's a random thought I've had:  Do they still use ticker tape in ticker tape parades?  Does anyone still use ticker tape?  Do most people even know what ticker tape is?  

What is ticker tape?

I'm another what is ticker tape LOL? I have horrible doomsday type thoughts all the time.

Come on, people!  Ticker Tape!  You know, as in Ticker Tape Parade?  Really?  BTW, I looked it up, and they quit using it before I was even born.  Sheesh.  We still use the name Ticker when referring to stocks.  There's a stock "ticker" at the bottom of news casts.  You can read what is was here.  So, this leads me to the question, what do they use for parades in NYC now?????

Ok...but why would they use ticker tape at a parade? 

Have you never heard of a ticker tape parade?  Click this.  If you look at the photo on the right (click it to make it bigger), you can see the ticker tape.  The still do "ticker tape" parades.  The most recent one in NYC (which is mostly closely associated with ticker tape parades) was in 2012 when the NY Giants won the Super Bowl.    

Yep.  And my train of thought tends to run on about 97 tracks at once, too.  Thus, when I pop out with some off-the-wall comment, I have to backtrack and explain the steps of how I got to it.  No one else seems to have this problem.  LOL...  By the way, the song in my head right now is "Africa" by Toto.  No idea why, but there it is.  Oh!  Stream of consciousness writing might be fun.  My kids are walking home and I can hear the leaves crunching outside.  I think it's almost time to take DD's friend home.  Squirrel!  What time do we need to eat dinner tonight?

Sometimes I think intrusive thoughts. :(

Like, I'll be using the blender and I think "What would happen if I was cleaning it and it suddenly when off and I lost my fingers? How would that change my life? I wouldn't be able to type." Then I think about why I'm even thinking about something so unpleasant and I try not to think about it.

Every single time I think about blenders (need a new one, so it happens a lot), I imagine my fingers getting chopped off. I thought I was the only one who ever thought about that!

Yes, I do have random thoughts like that, and I'm pretty sure everyone in my family does. In fact, I recently assured a friend of ours who has aspergers that it is quite normal. He was positive that it was a mental flaw that he needed to find a way to crush, with medication no less. Once he verbalized it and I told him I did that too, he started asking around and found out that most of his friends, that he had always thought of as more normal than he, also have the same tendency. He was quite relieved.

Yes, I get random thoughts.

I know my DH does too, because he'll start a conversation in his head, then only voice the last half. LOL He'll randomly pop out with a sentence starting with a pronoun and I'm all confused about who/what he's talking about, so he has to back up and tell me the first half of the conversation, too!

It is interesting because I came across an article about internal monologue or talking to ourselves and it is actually quite beneficial.  This woman, wanted a quieter mind but didn't know how to go about it.  One day she said she woke up and her mind was totally silent. She enjoyed it for a few minutes, then figured she needed to call her office to take the day off.  She attempted to call her office, but for some reason couldn't figure out the number. Then she tried looking through business cards, but kept forgetting why.  It took her an hour to call her office.   Turns out she had a stroke which affected that part of her brain..   Discovered that we are constantly telling ourselves how to do things. The brain communicates to your hand to turn the door, to your eyes to look left right or down. All this is seamless, or so we think.  We are just so used to it, we don't think about it.  

It may be okay to tune out for a bit with yoga or meditation, but don't want to be in that state for a long time or forever. Otherwise you end up in a vegetative state. 

All this to say, yes I have the random thoughts - including the driving off the cliff or the garbage disposal. Random snippets that hit you now and again, but it all serves to make me more careful.  My son who has aspergers verbalizes his random thoughts and doesn't realize it.   It can either be quite funny or strange sometimes.

And yes, stream of consciousness writing is lots of fun. But my handwriting is so sloppy, I sometimes can't read my own writing. :lol:

Yes, I get random thoughts.

I know my DH does too, because he'll start a conversation in his head, then only voice the last half. LOL He'll randomly pop out with a sentence starting with a pronoun and I'm all confused about who/what he's talking about, so he has to back up and tell me the first half of the conversation, too!

Oh!  My hubby does this too.  I have to tell him to start at the beginning.

I have irritated many people because I can't focus well - I have to be multi-tasking for something to click. Which seems backwards, but it's how I've always been. So having a conversation with me can feel frustrating to someone because they feel I'm dividing my attention (which I am, but it's how I can better pay attention)! And FWIW I don't ever multi-task with electronic devices, only paper or laundry or dishes or something.

The random thought thing comes into play when I try really hard to focus on a conversation without appearing to be multi-tasking. So I'll be awesome with the eye contact, doing the nodding and um-hmm thing, and then my mind wanders. And I'm not good at thinking before speaking, so I'll interrupt someone with a random, completely unrelated comment that outs me as having not been paying full attention. It took the people at work awhile to figure me out, and those close to me understand I have to be drawing or moving or doing SOMETHING rote to keep my brain able to focus on whatever it is they're saying to me. They no longer take it personally, and I continue to work on thinking before speaking when I'm out in the real world amongst Those Who Don't Know Me.

The only times I haven't had random thoughts and seemingly never-ending brain chatter has been when I was taking anxiety medication.  And I found the lack of chatter and random thoughts to be a very peaceful and welcome experience.  But OTOH I don't mind it as long as the thoughts aren't full of anxiety.

Instead of the driving-off-a-cliff thought, I occasionally have one that wonders what would happen if I drove straight into a bridge support.  I *think* those kinds of thoughts are just reminders to not do that. ;)

Once in a while, I'll say something out loud that was part of this random monologue and it comes out in a fashion that makes no sense. (I am alone when I do this, LOL! I'm not blurting out idiocy in the middle of church!) So, I might be thinking about multiple random things..."But those yams were so big. I think they were supposed to cook longer than the recipe said. Hmm. Four eggs. One of these chickens is not pulling her weight. These boots don't keep my feet warm worth a darn. Kelly said he'd bring home a bale of straw but he forgot. I should text him..." and then out of my mouth comes, "I need six of them anyway." And then I'll say to myself, "What? Six what? Chickens? Eggs? Straw bales?"  :laugh:

Once in a while, I'll say something out loud that was part of this random monologue and it comes out in a fashion that makes no sense. (I am alone when I do this, LOL! I'm not blurting out idiocy in the middle of church!) So, I might be thinking about multiple random things..."But those yams were so big. I think they were supposed to cook longer than the recipe said. Hmm. Four eggs. One of these chickens is not pulling her weight. These boots don't keep my feet warm worth a darn. Kelly said he'd bring home a bale of straw but he forgot. I should text him..." and then out of my mouth comes, "I need six of them anyway." And then I'll say to myself, "What? Six what? Chickens? Eggs? Straw bales?" :laugh:

I do this exact type of thing all the time.

Yep. And my train of thought tends to run on about 97 tracks at once, too. Thus, when I pop out with some off-the-wall comment, I have to backtrack and explain the steps of how I got to it. No one else seems to have this problem. LOL... By the way, the song in my head right now is "Africa" by Toto. No idea why, but there it is. Oh! Stream of consciousness writing might be fun. My kids are walking home and I can hear the leaves crunching outside. I think it's almost time to take DD's friend home. Squirrel! What time do we need to eat dinner tonight?

Now I have that song in my head...

I have constant random thoughts - some of them are really funny, some morbid and some are "smart comebacks" that I should have made when someone said something to offend me a long time ago (with some family members these things happened even 25 years ago). The best times for these are when I am alone in the kitchen cooking and in the early hours of the morning before  I am fully awake.

What I hate is when my SIL walks in and talks about Ed, Marsha, Nancy blah blah etc when she lives thousands of miles away, I don't know her friends and I don't know the context and her random thoughts don't make any sense. She visits often and subjects us to opinions on these people who we have no chance of ever meeting in this lifetime.

Constantly.  Things I need at the grocery store come to me while I am in the shower or walking the dog.  So I alphabetize my list and sing it to myself so I can remember it until I get to pen and paper. 

I also have conversations with people in my head...things I wish I had said or that I want to say....I especially did this with my XMIL because she was very mean to me.  I do it now with a family friend who I feel picks on my ds13.

I also have the random 'what would happen if I ran my car off this cliff' type thoughts....didn't know others did that, so good to know!

And the other thing for me is random events from my past.  One that has happened consisitantly for 35 years is when a boy and I were at my house alone....he had brought me home and my mom was right behind us...I don't remember much about it at all except a flash of us walking through a small square hall in that small house.  There were clothes in the floor and I was embarrassed...maybe that is why I remember such an insignifcant moment in time!  That boy was murdered when I was 20 and he was 21....and I still see his face flash before me at the oddest moments.  Sometimes I will open a door or a gate and expect him to be standing there. 

So yeah....makes me feel nuts sometimes, but I've learned to live with my inner world. 

It is probably why I didn't like ADs the one time I took them for about 3 months.