Menu

S/O Where do You Store Your Tea Kettle?

Jean in Newcastle

I don't drink tea all day long, only in the morning and (during cold weather, also) late at night. 

I used to have a contraption that looked like one of those single pod coffee makers. Maybe it was one, I don't know, I don't drink coffee. But I won it from work, so I brought it home to use with tea bags.  I rarely use it. I keep meaning to donate it. I find it easier to just boil water in a pan on the stove. 

I don't leave the pan (or anything) on the stove. The stove is on an island in the middle of the kitchen and is used all day long. I hate when people leave stuff on my stove because it feels like I'm always cleaning it off to use! When I'm done with the pot I put it next to the sink on the drying rack. At some point during the day I return it to the drawer beneath the stove. I don't feel put out. LOL

This time of year, it generally sits on the wood stove, which humidifies the air a bit and means there's always hot water for drinks at no additional fuel cost.

During non-woodstove times of year, it generally either sits on the back burner of the regular stove or on the counter beside it if it's in the way on the stove.

My nice shiny stainless steel electric kettle (which is used to boil water to make coffee with a Melitta cone several times a day) sits on the back burner of the stove, on top of a burner cover.  There's an electrical outlet within a few inches, so the base can stay plugged in and ready to go all the time.  I'm the only cook around here, and I never use that burner.  I rarely ever use more than two burners at a time.  So having it on the stove isn't an issue at all in that regard. 

To me the kettle is part of the decor.  For me clutter is defined as stuff that's not useful, and especially not useful stuff that looks junky.  My electric kettle is  *very* useful, and it looks nice.  Therefore not clutter.

I keep mine on a back burner on the stove and don't get why it would be a problem to store it there.

Ditto. I don't consider that "stored" so much as just where it belongs. I use it multiple times a day. It would be a pain in the rump to have to empty, cool, dry, and put away somewhere after use.

Well, I'll vote against the calls for leaving one on the stove. For years, we had a tea kettle on our stove, but the reality is we burned the empty kettle (by turning on the wrong burner, then not realizing it until burning an empty pot) more often than we used it. Tossed the tea kettle.

Since no one else had said it, I'll mention that you can have a small spout installed in your sink which connects you to instant hot water. Dh's grandmother has one. I can't bring myself to trust it, but it is a pretty cool invention if you have the funds for it and are anti-stuff-on-counter. 

A friend has one of these (I know it's there), yet I scalded my hand seriously at her house one time by accidentally pressing it instead of the regular faucet.

Yes, I think I'm a certified kitchen flunkie. :tongue_smilie:

Fwiw, if I need hot water I either use the microwave or heat water in a small pot (that has a pour spout on the side). So, my stuff is my Pyrex measuring cup (for heating in the microwave) or a pot from the pots/pans cabinet.

On a (sort of) related note, I was looking into fancy milk frothers to make the kids gourmet hot chocolates.  Mormons and hot chocolates have a special relationship, lol.  I have a bunch of recipes I want to try.  So I was looking at the really nice ones and they tend to be around $60-100.  Then I saw the Mr Coffee Latte machine on sale for $49 on amazon (down from $139).  It makes hot chocolate too with frothy milk.  So I now have this coffee machine for hot chocolate because it just made more sense than a more expensive plain frother.  I can also use it for fancy HERBAL tea recipes (obviously not regular tea.)  I'm thinking of putting a "chocolate" label over the word "coffee" on it.  :blush:

On a (sort of) related note, I was looking into fancy milk frothers to make the kids gourmet hot chocolates.  Mormons and hot chocolates have a special relationship, lol.  I have a bunch of recipes I want to try.  So I was looking at the really nice ones and they tend to be around $60-100.  Then I saw the Mr Coffee Latte machine on sale for $49 on amazon (down from $139).  It makes hot chocolate too with frothy milk.  So I now have this coffee machine for hot chocolate because it just made more sense than a more expensive plain frother.  I can also use it for fancy HERBAL tea recipes (obviously not regular tea.)  I'm thinking of putting a "chocolate" label over the word "coffee" on it.  :blush:

Wait. Tea is not allowed but chocolate is? Can you even buy decaf chocolate? Doesn't chocolate have more caffeine than decaf tea?

Oh gosh. I also read this thinking it was a euphamism and oh my word... the following replies have me giggling like a 6th grade boy.

Using a kettle for your tea will transform your tea experience so you need to find a way to make it accessible on a daily basis. )

We drink tea all day long. .

It gets used so much it needs to be out at all times. :D

I didn't know they came in metal! All the ones I've seen are plastic. Maybe I should look around.

I want one of the glass ones!

It gets used so much there is no point it putting it away somewhere.

One of the side benefits of home schooling, perhaps?  :lol: