Menu

Hits and misses for Christmas Gifts 2013

duckens

We had all hits here. :)

I had...have...really mixed feelings about expensive electronics for Christmas, especially for younger kids, but all three boys had the ipod touch on their lists and a lot of listening activities for school, so we decided to splurge. We decided that everyone should have their wildest dream filled on Christmas at least once. (I still remember when I got the gift I never dreamed I'd really get.)

We had some surprise hits too:

Donut pan for ds13

Ninja costume for ds9

Not really a surprise, but dancer ds10 asked for tickets to the Nutcracker, so we took the whole family. He was riveted.

Dh, who usually needs pictures with colors and sizes, surprised me by buying the same tea cup that I bought my mom (I must have shown him when I bought it??) and a delicious assortment of teas.

Dd's boyfriend loved the tshirt I bought him that said "There are two kinds of people: Those who extrapolate from incomplete information." It's hard buying for someone you don't know well, but he's a math/science kind of guy. As a matter of fact, I told dd later that he fit right in. He was talking about diamonds and stars and space with ds10.

And our Saudi student was really touched that I sewed him a Christmas stocking and we bought him a couple gifts. He gave me a hug, which is a pretty big deal.

Cat

Miss -  big, loud remote control cars a relative bought my 2 older kids.  The same relative bought them both the same cars one year ago for Christmas. 

With the first set, they half broke the first week they had them.  I got rid of them because I hated them so much (and I am pretty good about not doing that with toys, so these really bugged me - loud, terrible for our house/age of kids).  My kids then missed them, so I bought them replacement remote control cars that were better quality, more suited to their ages/interest and worked outdoors (so they could enjoy them in our wet climate, but I didn't have the wall smashing noisy chaos of the first set). 

So now we have 2 sets of remote control cars.  I am pretty sure this relative doesn't remember they bought them for the kids last year, so that then makes me worry this relative is also having memory issues.

Sigh.

Hits -

DH was really pleased and actually surprised I got pictures of the kids done for him (I'm not usually good at being sneaky).  I did them wearing stuff for his favorite sports team too, so that was fun.

DS liked the Chester Comix I got him about Ancient Africa - I wasn't sure how fun they'd be, but he wants more, so that's encouraging.  DS was also excited to his core to get a nerf gun from relatives.

DD was really happy to get the eagle lego set.

toddler DD loved the babies she got and her new puzzle. 

Me - I have way too much money to spend on amazon.com.  Excited about that - trying to decide what to get. :)

The only miss was one of those gizmos where you have balls hanging from strings and you're supposed to bump them so you can watch them bumping each other. I don't know what they are called so I can't google a picture. Well, naturally, ds kept tangling it up until the giver got tired of untangling it and now I have a piece of rubbish that I've been instructed to keep because ds might like carrying it around. 

Everything else went down well. Dd's favourite gift was the Fulla teacher set (ok, I said they were homeschoolers :p ) and ds has been very happy sitting in the lego which I have poured into one of those kiddie wading pools. My dad bought them more lollies than they've probably had in their entire lives put together, and needless to day, ds has enjoyed them, lol.

Hits:

Ds: wireless headphones, smooth hardwood grips for his handgun, Steam card, Zelda 3DS XL

Dh: heater for the bedroom with a remote control, Apple TV, quilted flannel shirt, hump day mug

Me: The Annotated Hobbit, subscription to Minerva magazine, Tempurpedic pillow, cozy slippers

Pop Pop: Devoted: 38 Extraordinary Tales of Love, Loyalty, and Life with Dogs

Nana: Aquage hair products, Thomas Kincade church ornament that lights up

Nana and Pop Pop together: paid down their balance at the pharmacy. This brought tears to mil's eyes and sincere thanks from fil.

Nephew: an army tank made out of bullet shell casings

Niece: window bird feeder and window nesting box with book about local birds

Niece 2: big makeup kit from Justice

I bought it from this lovely Etsy seller. She did a wonderful job, and it's bigger than I thought it would be. It looks like a large, heavy bar of soap with his name carved in it.

Those are cool!  The rock story is hysterical!

----------

We had all hits but here's a highlight for me...

every year we give each dc an ornament that somehow relates to the year and I was having trouble finding exactly what I wanted...etsy and amazon came to the rescue and the ornaments were perfect.  The kids were trying to imagine what they would be and were totally surprised.

Not a miss but funny...

mil sent a gift through the mail.  It was wrapped in brown mailing paper and underneath was Christmas wrap.  We took off the Christmas wrap and were very pleased with the item featured on the box.  We all thought it was such a nice gift!  Then we thought to open the box.  Oops...she was just reusing the box for shipping...we liked what was really inside too...

Hits

My daughter's ipod touch needed replacing and after pricing we went with the ipad mini instead

My husband won a Kindle Fire HD and gave it to me to replace my first generation Fire. I haven't fully made the switchover, but it's so much faster and smoother.

Audiotechnica headphones-son really likes them. I thought the sounds was great but that the ear part isn't as comfortable as my Bose.

My percussionist asked for a kalimba (African thumb piano) and it's been a huge hit. Highly recommended if you have a musician that just likes to putz around.  I'm not able to post any links today--not sure what's up but at youtube search kalimba carol of the bells

It hasn't been our greatest Christmases ever, with my son who rarely has any health problems at all being diagnosed with cancer a few days earlier, then being whisked off to an out of town hospital the next day, and starting chemo on Christmas Eve. But in the midst of this biggest fail of a gift ever, there have been some huge hits, the first that we live in a day and age of potentially life saving medical advances. The second is that we have been showered with love and kindness by friends, family and strangers. We had friends make a late night road trip so I wouldn't have to drive to the hospital alone. A hospital staff member took a long walk to find my car in the parking deck and then help carry back to my room. Someone I'd never met before arranged to pick me up and run an important errand. Friends asked what we needed in the hospital and then provided those items, plus some things that we didn't even know we'd need. A friend came up and picked up our laundry and then returned it. Care packages have been delivered to my van. There in the midst of one of the worst Christmases of our lives, we had so many people loving on us in tangible ways that all I could think of is how blessed we are.

It hasn't been our greatest Christmases ever, with my son who rarely has any health problems at all being diagnosed with cancer a few days earlier, then being whisked off to an out of town hospital the next day, and starting chemo on Christmas Eve. But in the midst of this biggest fail of a gift ever, there have been some huge hits, the first that we live in a day and age of potentially life saving medical advances. The second is that we have been showered with love and kindness by friends, family and strangers. We had friends make a late night road trip so I wouldn't have to drive to the hospital alone. A hospital staff member took a long walk to find my car in the parking deck and then help carry back to my room. Someone I'd never met before arranged to pick me up and run an important errand. Friends asked what we needed in the hospital and then provided those items, plus some things that we didn't even know we'd need. A friend came up and picked up our laundry and then returned it. Care packages have been delivered to my van. There in the midst of one of the worst Christmases of our lives, we had so many people loving on us in tangible ways that all I could think of is how blessed we are.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Hits

My daughter's ipod touch needed replacing and after pricing we went with the ipad mini instead

My husband won a Kindle Fire HD and gave it to me to replace my first generation Fire. I haven't fully made the switchover, but it's so much faster and smoother.

Audiotechnica headphones-son really likes them. I thought the sounds was great but that the ear part isn't as comfortable as my Bose.

My percussionist asked for a kalimba (African thumb piano) and it's been a huge hit. Highly recommended if you have a musician that just likes to putz around.  I'm not able to post any links today--not sure what's up but at youtube search kalimba carol of the bells

:grouphug:  & prayers for your son and family.

I think it was our best Christmas ever.

Hits:

DS 11 got a new bow and a tactical backpack for scouts and a Simon game that the whole family has been playing with.

DS 6 got his bouncy rider thing, a huge box of K'nex, and a bunch of play-doh

They both received iPad minis.

DD 13 got the Ugg type boots she wanted and concert tickets to One Direction.

There were other presents for all but these were the best.

DH got a record player and best of Led Zeplin on vinyl and a floating pool cooler.

The only miss was mine. I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It was what I asked for. I have a Galaxy 3 phone and I thought they would sinc, but they don't. I spent all Christmas afternoon messing with the Note and getting frustrated. I went and exchanged it for an iPad mini today.

Let's see...

for the almost 10yo

*bow and arrow (super huge hit and completely random last minute present that I almost didn't even get)

*Clue - he LOVES it and we have already played at least a dozen times

*Mindstorms, of course!

*Legos, of course!

for the 2.5yo

*PBK excavator & construction workers - such a hit he sleeps with them!

*the book Ah Ha! - we've read it at least a hundred times already and I love to listen to him read it to himself

*pedaless bike - he's been asking for this for weeks and loves it

We had all hits this year-the first being that my ex step dad is alive and doing well after a traumatic brain injury this summer.  I appreciated this Christmas more than ever this year.  Our whole family got together to celebrate, and my parents (mom and step dad), who are newly divorced and both have new SOs, actually got along. My step dad even bought gifts for my sisters and me-  they each got a jar of fermented food, and I got peanuts!  He drove himself, (he got his license back the week before Christmas), and he chose one thing for each of us. ( We had said no gifts this year) It was really a great Christmas.

As for gifts- 

DH- got a ukelele, and he loves it!  I'm so happy because I never manage to get him anything that he really likes. 

DD- lego friends sets, American girl accessories for Kaya, Calico Critters motorcycle

DS- Playmobil top agents set, mousetrap racer car kit, binoculars

joint gift for both kids from my dad and step mom- microscope kit

me- wool long underwear, wool socks, gift card to REI!  I'm super excited.  I am always cold, and I have such a hard time finding comfortable clothing.  The under things are wool blends and are actually soft enough for me. 

Both kids also got B&N gift cards from my gma.  DS already knows he will get Harry Potter Film Wizardry.  DD got it for Xmas, and he really wants his own copy since she has had her nose in it since opening it! 

I am so tired of these things. We have gone through probably $150 worth of rc helicopters in the past 2 years (I don't buy them, but other people keep buying them for my kids.) They always break within a day or two, and if you take them back the new one will break within a day or two. Complete garbage!

Same here. My kids always ask for them, even when I remind them that they break after a day or 2. Finally I told them that I could not waste another penny on those things

We did pretty well this year, I think.

Biggest hits for my daughter were the Container Store gift card, a set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sheets (yes, for the 19-year-old girl) and the box of Star Wars-themed stuff her brother ordered for her (specifically, the R2D2-shaped soy sauce dispenser). She has passed many hours since Christmas afternoon on the Container Store website making lists of what she wanted to buy with the GC, doing the actual shopping trip and then completely re-organizing her room to accommodate the new items.

I walked into the living room on December 26 and found my son sitting on the couch reading one of the new books he received, surrounded by pieces from the weight set we got him and with the portable tap surface spread out on the floor next to him. So, I'd say those went over well. He also spent a good portion of Christmas afternoon gathering all of his dance costumes and putting them on hangers and into the new garment bag. And the Captain America applique that was tucked into his stocking has prompted a three-day hunt for just the right new faux leather jacket on which to put it.

My husband is never especially wowed by any of the gifts we give him. However, he seemed to like the new set of dice my son gave him with a hand-made dice bag.

My husband got me the new Fosse biography I've been wanting since it was released a few months ago and some other fun, small stuff. (I reminded him several times that, when he sent the kids and me to NYC back in October, he said it was a combined birthday and Christmas gift for all three of us.) But my kids did super well for me this year. From my daughter, I got my very own set of personalized pajamas just like I do for them every year. She hand painted lines from the film "Mean Girls" (one of our shared guilty pleasures) onto a pink t-shirt ("On Wednesdays, we wear pink.") and found PJ pants to match. My son gave me several wooden planks and a can of paint, along with a note explaining that he will be using them to add much-needed shelves to my pantry. We rent this house, and he had to figure out how to do this without making anything permanent. He came up with a really clever solution. He started the project yesterday and has pledged to have it completed before January 1.

So, all in all, a good holiday.

The biggest hit for me was a Kindle Fire.  I love it.  Miss for me was another Bath and Body Works gift card.  Don't like to shop there anymore but did when I was younger.  I guess it sticks. 

DH:  Got himself a drill combining some cash and gift cards.  I got him some DVD sets etc that he liked.  Boo Boo got him a white apron that she decorated with fabric paint.  No real misses this year for dh. 

Sweet-Pea: lots of stuff she wanted from Think Geek and an ipod touch. 

Boo-Boo:  Much My Little Pony stuff and the Lego Friends set Olivia's House.  She is also thrilled Sweet-Pea got an ipod touch because now she no longer has to share the older one that they have been using.  

Big Surprise Hit:  Local Broadway tour theatre did an auction where they had messenger bags made out of banners from the tours that have come through.  Dh bought Sweet-Pea one from The Lion King and Boo Boo one from Wicked.  All of this with another auction item, a Broadway swag bag with a bunch of miscellaneous things from different shows.  The girls loved it all.  

No real misses for anyone this year, except for the gift card.  We were all incredibly blessed. 

Our Christmas was fairly predictable. Lego, games and books. All hits.

We got 8 new games this year. 2 per kid plus a couple extra.

Ticket to ride, labyrinth, enchanted forest, lucky pirate, risk, some easy card games for my youngest- go fish and a fairy game, and gobblet gobblers (I think that is what it's called.)

One son got the complete set of Harry Potter books. He was thrilled. He also got two Narnia books to complete that series.

Daughter got pink cowboy boots and hat and several books about cowboys and cowgirls.

Youngest got some trucks and cars. ( I had a hard time finding trucks that did not make noise/slash require batteries but found some eventually.)

I got Amazon and iTunes gift cards.

The Mister got bearcat shirts and waterbottle plus some fancy root beers.

Only miss were some rc cars that broke with only one spin around the kitchen. We are getting our money back but it is too bad the cars busted so easily.

We had a frugal Christmas with mostly thrift shop items I bought (with the contents of my change jar!), but here goes..

Hits:

A tin of cupcake recipes for Dd I found at local thrift shop for a couple of dollars along with this cupcake dome I also found still in the box at the same shop for another couple of dollars.  She's already made some of the recipes and they are really good!  She absolutely loved the book Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, which I found at another thrift shop.  Also a scarf I found on clearance at JC Penny that had dogs all over it.  I splurged on a Lulu Guiness purse (also from JCP) that had prints of London landmarks.  Dd has a fascination with London currently and she loved it.

For Ds a collection of dog books found at the thrift shop, plus an autobiography of Bill Peet found same day, and a 16x20 poster of Ds' dog taken by a professional photographer at a recent agility trial.  He also liked the dog puzzle treat seeker toy Dd and I found on clearance at Walgreens.   A subscription to a dog agility magazine given by my great uncle.  Money he received from grandparents so he can save for a laptop. 

Both liked the back issues of Dog Fancy magazine I rolled up and stuffed in their stockings.  (at 25 cents each these were a great find)

Dh and I did not buy much for one another by agreement.  He liked the magazine and candy I bought him, and I am looking forward to reading the two history/biography books he found at our local 2nd hand bookshop.

Mil loved the insulated quilted Christmas table runner Dd and I made for her from scrap fabric.  Also loved the holiday flower arrangement I helped Ds make for her using dollar store silk flowers and a clearance set of flameless candles.  It sounds cheesy, but it looked like an expensive arrangement.  We put the whole thing on a beautiful crystal plate we found at the thrift shop.  We really have a great neighborhood thrift shop!  Dc also printed photos and months of the year and made her a scrapbook type calendar to hang in her kitchen.  They cut out interesting backgrounds for the photos and drew borders with glitter glue.  She seemed to like that too, and Dc did a very nice job designing it.  It was a nice change from a shutterfly calendar and more charming and personal.

Misses: Ds does not like an Axe fragrance gift set he received.  Dd was glad I let her return the 5th jewelry box she received from her aunt.  Why do people always buy her jewelry boxes?