Menu

Did you know Elizabeth Edwards homeschools?

It is my understanding that their children have tutors at home and on the campaign trail.

Does she do the teaching or is it all done by tutors?

So if one uses outside classes or DVD courses they aren't real homeschoolers? She is still overseeing the education of her children and I consider her a home schooler. If I had the $ I would hire a tutor in a heart beat LOL!

So if one uses outside classes or DVD courses they aren't real homeschoolers? She is still overseeing the education of her children and I consider her a home schooler. If I had the $ I would hire a tutor in a heart beat LOL!

I keep trying to convince dh that we need a GOVERNESS! Hee hee - he ain't buyin' it.;)

I think there is a difference between homeschooling and a private school. From what I have read, tutors do all of the teaching. IMHO that is just having a private school in your own home.

If I had their money, I would hire tutors too. I don't think it is bad. I just don't think it is homeschooling.:001_smile:

I think there is a difference between homeschooling and a private school. From what I have read, tutors do all of the teaching. IMHO that is just having a private school in your own home.

If I had their money, I would hire tutors too. I don't think it is bad. I just don't think it is homeschooling.:001_smile:

And to me homeschooling is anything that doesn't involve a child going to a brick and mortar school everyday. There are all kinds of arrangements that fall under that umbrella - including my dreamed for governess....:tongue_smilie:

And to me homeschooling is anything that doesn't involve a child going to a brick and mortar school everyday. There are all kinds of arrangements that fall under that umbrella - including my dreamed for governess....:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: the tutor is in their home and is directly overseen by EE unlike a private school.

And to me homeschooling is anything that doesn't involve a child going to a brick and mortar school everyday.

:iagree: Our older dd has the opportunity to attend a homeschool resource center twice a week for each class she is signed up for there. How that translates for us is this - the "tutor" presents the material and sets the stage for marching things out (i.e. syllabus). Past that, *we* (dh and I) do the remaining and necessary teaching here at home. It was I who taught dd how to do a science fair last year. It was I who met her in the trenches through the course of her compositions last year. I still did much of the teaching but it was a real blessing to have someone else to whom we were accountable, particularly since we are still in the throes of our renovations. This opportunity helped to keep us on track in a way I don't know that we would have without it with everything else going on.

Just my two cents....

:iagree: Our older dd has the opportunity to attend a homeschool resource center twice a week for each class she is signed up for there. How that translates for us is this - the "tutor" presents the material and sets the stage for marching things out (i.e. syllabus). Past that, *we* (dh and I) do the remaining and necessary teaching here at home. It was I who taught dd how to do a science fair last year. It was I who met her in the trenches through the course of her compositions last year. I still did much of the teaching but it was a real blessing to have someone else to whom we were accountable, particularly since we are still in the throes of our renovations. This opportunity helped to keep us on track in a way I don't know that we would have without it with everything else going on.

Just my two cents....

But, to a die-hard homeschooler, it is all about control and decision making. If someone else is dictating your syllabus there are those out there who would not be eager to lump that situation into the homeschooling category.

Just to clarify, Sharon, I am not in that camp and do not share those views, and am not criticizing you in any way. I am merely trying to shed some light on the other angle. ;)

Just my two cents....

Still a homeschooler in my book, but I'm easy....:lol:

But, to a die-hard homeschooler, it is all about control and decision making. If someone else is dictating your syllabus there are those out there who would not be eager to lump that situation into the homeschooling category.

Just to clarify, Sharon, I am not in that camp and do not share those views, and am not criticizing you in any way. I am merely trying to shed some light on the other angle. ;)

I hear you and understand from what you've written that you're representing the opposing (and not necessarily your own) view with your post. I guess to the die hard homeschooler who feels any tutor at all is not homeschooling I would just say, as TwinmominTX implied, that carefully *choosing* a tutor is still very much homeschooling in my mind (versus sending a child to a lock, stock, and barrel traditional school setting where that same student is subjected to *everything* some other authoritative educator deems important). In my mind, this measure actually accentuates the beauty of homeschooling - the ability to select from one course to another, from one day to another what is the very best for my student. We still have flexibility with our tutors (who I, obviously agree with their syllabi or I wouldn't have signed my dd up for their class). These tutors readily acknowledge (up front, in orientation) that *we* (parents) are the ultimate educator to our students and they (tutors) are "facilitators", and I quote.

For now, this die hard homeschooler (in our tenth year, now) knows that it is the tutor situation that is keeping our educational boat afloat while we tend to other very pressing matters of the home and, therefore, it is *important* to our homeschooling. :001_smile:

I've taken time here to share from my perspective, but it really is OK with me if some do not agree that I am homeschooling when I use a tutor. I know that I am. :)

I think you're doing a great job and I'm glad you've shared your path. There are so many options available to us and there are so many parents out there who desire a similar path to yours in order to make it work. That truly is the beauty of homeschooling: doing what works for your family outside the walls of the public school system. I know that if I had not used some dvd classes, some online classes, some cc classes, and some tutors, I would have thrown in the towel long ago! :)

I know that if I had not used some dvd classes, some online classes, some cc classes, and some tutors, I would have thrown in the towel long ago! :)

Your statement here reminds me of something I read back when I was working on a quilt for my older dd. I was pregnant with my younger and had limited time to make it all happen and was debating between trying to do the whole thing by hand or do some of the work on the machine. In short, I read this: "a finished machine stitched quilt is better than an unfinished hand stitched quilt." I think that about sums it up! :)

(As it turns out - I made the whole quilt on the machine and then my mil came behind me and handstitched the decorative stithces and we've enjoyed it for more than 10 years now. It was a win-win for me! Had I tried to do the whole thing by hand, well, chances are GREAT that it would still be sitting in the box waiting to be finished!) :D

Haven't read all the responses, but NC law is crazy.

The parent has to provide the primary instruction in the core subjects. It is illegal to use tutors or teachers for instruction in math, language arts, social studies, or science.

Now, I can enroll in a science or literature co-op because they consider that "enrichment".

My dd can take online classes.

I can let my dd watch TV all day and call it school.

But I can not hire a tutor to provide primary instruction in the core subjects under NC law. :001_huh:

The parent has to provide the primary instruction in the core subjects. It is illegal to use tutors or teachers for instruction in math, language arts, social studies, or science.

Now, I can enroll in a science or literature co-op because they consider that "enrichment".

But I can not hire a tutor to provide primary instruction in the core subjects under NC law. :001_huh:

Interesting. In SC, the primary homeschooling parent has to provide 51% of instruction, period.

I prefer not to muddy the waters.

If I'm teaching my own dc at home, I'm homeschooling. I can outsource a couple of classes, but I'm still homeschooling.

If I hire a tutor(s) to do all the teaching, I'm not homeschooling. How could it be otherwise? That the teaching is done in the home is irrelevant.

Upper-class folks, back in the day, often had governesses or tutors for their dc. They did not say they were hsing.

Why isn't it ok to *not* use the term "homeschooling"?:confused:

I read the Fox article last night too and was excited until I read another interview which explained more about her "homeschool" adventures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christine-escobar/liz-edwards-on-juggling-h_b_73227.html

It's not exactly what we are doing with our dc but she does have some good things to say about how ps could be better if there were more on hand learning experiences for ps students. They believe in public education and were just doing this for the campaign. Next year they will be back in ps. I wasn't as excited after I read this article. :glare:

If I'm teaching my own dc at home, I'm homeschooling. I can outsource a couple of classes, but I'm still homeschooling.

If I hire a tutor(s) to do all the teaching, I'm not homeschooling. How could it be otherwise? That the teaching is done in the home is irrelevant.

Upper-class folks, back in the day, often had governesses or tutors for their dc. They did not say they were hsing.

Think about it and the perception that voters would have. There is a distinct difference between:

"We homeschool our children."

and

"Our children are taught by tutors privately at home."

I think they may have felt that the first statement is more acceptable to working class voters. The republicans generally use the words "Edwards" and "elitist" in the same sentence. Edwards does not want to be seen as being part of the upper-class folk.

Yep, but don't say co-op, everything posted in the group I was with was enrichment this and enrichment class that.

But now we are getting used to saying the c word in SC.

I completely agree with you.:iagree:

I completely disagree with you.:)

I don't know but share the same view and question?

For example, if I enroll fulltime in online college classes, I do not say that I am homeschooling college. No, I'm a student at blank college.

I'm not against people doing what works for them. Outsource math if you need to! But then you aren't homeschooing math. I used to have a piano teacher who gave lessons in my home, but I didn't say I was homeschooling piano. If one is doing this for all subjects, then one is not homeschooling any subject.

I was very involved in my son's very small private school many years ago. I over saw nearly all of his education, but that didn't make me a homeschooler.:confused:

Really? Not to go off on a bunny trail or anything, but where does the law say that?

This is HSLDA's legal analysis of NC law. I don't see anything in it which prohibts you from using tutors. What am I missing?

Really? Not to go off on a bunny trail or anything, but where does the law say that?

This is HSLDA's legal analysis of NC law. I don't see anything in it which prohibts you from using tutors. What am I missing?

http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh114g.htm

You can USE tutors, you just can't hire a tutor to provide the "initial foundational academic instruction". So, I could teach dd math and then hire a math tutor on top of it, but I can't just hire the math tutor.

BUT- if the math tutor is offering an online class, I can do that.

How is hiring a tutor different from outsourcing?

I read the Fox article last night too and was excited until I read another interview which explained more about her "homeschool" adventures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christine-escobar/liz-edwards-on-juggling-h_b_73227.html

It's not exactly what we are doing with our dc but she does have some good things to say about how ps could be better if there were more on hand learning experiences for ps students. They believe in public education and were just doing this for the campaign. Next year they will be back in ps. I wasn't as excited after I read this article. :glare:

I just read this article and it's really a mixed bag. They are schooling their children at home, and EE is very candid about how they accomplish it- with a certified teacher in the home, a dedicated school room and a generally scheduled school day. It's certainly not what many of us would consider to be ideal homeschooling, and is a lot closer to replicating school in the home. She also does not come across as being pro-homeschooling, emphasizing several times that this is temporary, that they intend for their children to return to public school in the future, and that she has reservations about parents being able to teach their children math at home, since she as an educated person would not feel comfortable teaching math to her kids. From this perspective, it's kind of hard for the rest of us to relate to her as a "homeschooler like us."

On the other hand, this family is in a very unique position. Campaigning for president is of course an all-encompassing challenge. Fighting a terminal illness is another mitigating factor. If I were to be diagnoses with a serious illness and as a result of my treatment or health determine that I needed to put my children into public school, I would probably have a similar resigned to the situation, but not really enthusiastic about it attitude as EE has. And I'd probably supplement a lot at home and try to oversee my children's education still to the best of my ability. But no matter my lack of enthusiasm or unique situation, my kids would still be "public schooled."

I don't think that buying into the idea completely is a requirement for being a true homeschooler. ;) And a tutor at home, even one certified to teach, doesn't really eliminate them either. After all, most of us here are trying to achieve a classical style education, right? I think history shows that many of the folks we revere for being classically educated in the past, were actually schooled at home by a tutor, at least to some extent.

Anyway, I really feel for the Edwards family, and hope they are able to make the best of their time left together, however they choose to educate.

I think the differences of opinion on this issue are very interesting. I would consider myself homeschooling if I had complete control over the curriculum being taught and how it was taught, regardless of who did the teaching. There are many people who homeschool entirely with dvds or satellite courses. They are not doing the teaching, but they are still homeschooling, in my opinion.

For me it is more of a control issue than anything else.

Paula

Paula

:iagree:

We are all very very different, but at the end of the day it is who decides what will be studied and who is responsible to make sure the child learns.

We were in WI for a little while and here is the law in WI:

In Wisconsin only a parent or guardian can provide instruction.

Definition: A "home-based private educational program" is a program of educational instruction provided to a child by the child’s parent or guardian or by a person designated by the parent or guardian. An instructional program provided to more than one family is not a home-based private educational program. Wis. Stat. Ann. § 115.001(3g).

You can not include coop time in your required teaching time. I don't think it is the goverment's business.

I would consider myself homeschooling if I had complete control over the curriculum being taught and how it was taught, regardless of who did the teaching.

I consider my 8yo daughter to be homeschooled although I work mornings and a lot of her schooling is supervised and taught by our au pair/tutor.

I research and decide which curriculum we are going to use, schedule it, review what she has done in the morning and teach math and whatever else I think needs my attention in the afternoons. To many I'm not a "true' homeschooler and I have to admit being told that we're not "good enough" does hurt.

I consider my 8yo daughter to be homeschooled although I work mornings and a lot of her schooling is supervised and taught by our au pair/tutor.

I research and decide which curriculum we are going to use, schedule it, review what she has done in the morning and teach math and whatever else I think needs my attention in the afternoons. To many I'm not a "true' homeschooler and I have to admit being told that we're not "good enough" does hurt.

I didn't see anyone imply that anyone else wasn't "good enough." To use a military analogy-a National Guard family isn't the same as an Active Duty family. They have different challenges, obstacles and strengths, they are not the same. That doesn't mean one is better or worse.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the topic at hand, if someone wants to call themselves a homeschooler that's good enough for me.

To many I'm not a "true' homeschooler and I have to admit being told that we're not "good enough" does hurt.

I don't believe anyone is saying those of us who outsource, etc., are not good enough.

I think some people simply like to make a clear distinction between those things they believe fall under the category of homeschooling and those things that do not.

Not better or worse, just different.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the topic at hand, if someone wants to call themselves a homeschooler that's good enough for me.

:iagree:

I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a HSer.

I don't like the government defining it only to be one on one with a parent or guardian vs a group setting.

I generally think that adults who take on the HSing responsibility of educating their children vs bringing them to school have the child's best interest in mind.

We as a HS community have an infinite amount of "flavors", styles and ideas. This used to frighten me when I first started HSing because I came from a PS persecutive / ideology. I now see it as a strength. :)

I think some people simply like to make a clear distinction between those things they believe fall under the category of homeschooling and those things that do not.

Not better or worse, just different.

Yes. I've decided this boils down to semantics. It really is OK if one's definition of homeschooling differs from another. :)

How is hiring a tutor different from outsourcing?

If *all* of your dc's classes are outsourced, then you're not hsing. If *all* of your dc's classes are taught by a tutor in your home, you're not hsing.

A tutor or an outside class for a couple of subjects is one thing; it's another when *all* of them are taught by someone other than the parents.

If *all* of your dc's classes are outsourced, then you're not hsing. If *all* of your dc's classes are taught by a tutor in your home, you're not hsing.

A tutor or an outside class for a couple of subjects is one thing; it's another when *all* of them are taught by someone other than the parents.

I have to say here that :iagree: with Ellie. The key word here is ALL.

Think about it and the perception that voters would have. There is a distinct difference between:

"We homeschool our children."

and

"Our children are taught by tutors privately at home."

I think they may have felt that the first statement is more acceptable to working class voters. The republicans generally use the words "Edwards" and "elitist" in the same sentence. Edwards does not want to be seen as being part of the upper-class folk.

It may be true that one sounds less elitist than the other:D but that doesn't make it so.

The article did say that they were using all the same materials/curriculum from the public school, just doing it at home, on the road, etc. I also thought the article said that when they are back home the kids will join their regular ps class sometimes. I'm not saying anything about how they are hsing. I was just disappointed that we can't exactly claim to have some kind of high-profile hs advocate in her. That's what I had hoped for when I first read that they homeschooled. It didn't sound like she was totally supportive of it since some hs are not that great (I'm paraphrasing her words).

I did kind of say, hmmmm, to myself when I read that EE observed that her kids were finishing their work more quickly and were able to work at a faster pace. I think I gleaned from the article that perhaps this year of hsing will give them a perspective on how the ps could be better. They specifically mentioned hands-on activites, experiments, and field trips. If the Edward's could help ps educators think outside the box then that's a good thing!