Menu

Your favorite holiday side dishes, ham is the main course

lynn

I make a butternut squash, carrot, potato, and pea casserole that is out of this world! Here's the recipe:

1 large butternut squash, chopped into small cubes or strips

1-2 sweet onions, chopped

1-2 cups chopped carrots

1 cup frozen green peas

1-2 potatoes with skin thinly sliced

1 8-ounce jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil

parmesan cheese-layer on top to taste

As you can see, the amounts are very approximate. Basically, just combine the vegetable/sun dried tomatoes/oil except for the potatoes, and put in a large casserole dishs. Arrange the sliced potatoes in a layer on top of the vegetables, then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for one hour.  

I am still putting ours together but this is what we are having with our ham:

potato salad (requested by dh)

baked potatoes (requested by dd12)

deviled eggs (requested by dd10)

My MIL's dressing that they didn't get at Thanksgiving because she was out of town 

cornbread pudding (made by SIL)

probably sweet potatoes because I like those 

peas

raw carrots and ranch dressing

DD10 is making cake

Who knows what else I will decide to throw on the table

The last time I made a ham I tried a baked corn recipe from allrecipes.com. It called for creamed corn and a can of regular corn, but I used frozen instead of the regular. I didn't think I would like it with the canned creamed corn in it, but it was really good. It was similar to this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Corn-I/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes

I've also made one with cheddar cheese and chopped red and green peppers added in. Dh likes that one better, but I like the plain better.

I've also made various sweet potato dishes to go with ham, au gratin or scalloped potatoes, or acorn squash. 

a real southern ham is a treat for me  - as a child I looked forward to that dinner every year.  (among other things, a "real" ham has a bone. even as a child, I could tell the difference.)  dh's rolls, my grandmother's southern green beans with bacon, mashed potatoes with ham gravy .  . . . after that, I'm open.  maybe some sort of ambrosia or 5-cup salad. candied carrots or yams/sweet potatoes. pecan pie.