Menu

What age range for doll houses?

Aspasia

Dd6 is asking for a doll house for Christmas. She hasn't ever really talked about it before now, but she has enjoyed them at other people's houses. I'm kinda torn, because if we do get this, it will be pretty much all she gets because it's so expensive. My bigger concern is her age. It seems like most reviewers give these doll houses to 3- or 4-year-olds. Dd will be 7 in June. How long do you think she would reasonably be interested in playing with this thing?

What type of dollhouse?

The kind that is collectible where you buy pieces separately is for older kids and adults. I still collect dollhouse stuff.

There are the plastic or wood sets that are nice and would withstand a six year old. There are lots of brands. 

Here is a nice one:http://www.landofnod.com/fold-and-go-wooden-dollhouse-play-set/s344748?a=1081&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNP6sOmtkLsCFWRk7AodXFAAQQ

(I would not give this to a 3 or 4 year old.)

You can be too old for dollhouses??? :eek: Say it isn't so!!! :D

I think a dollhouse would be a great gift. If she likes Barbie dolls, the Kidkraft doll houses are very nice, and are also sturdy. Several stores have them on sale right now, and there may also be some good Cyber Monday deals.

Dollhouses are fun because a crafty kid can make all kinds of great things for them, like little furniture, curtains, accessories, bedspreads, rugs, etc., and many of the projects can be made for free with little scraps of stuff you already have at home. A dollhouse and a new Barbie or two would make amazing Christmas gifts!

There are also collectors-type dollhouses that you can buy already finished, or else buy a kit, but a kit would be far too difficult for her right now, so someone else would have to do the building for her.

We had the Fisher Price Loving Family doll house---each girl got one for Christmas when they were 3 or 4 and they played with them EACH and EVERY day---seriously--until they were 10 or older. You could get the basics and then get an add on set for birthdays or other people to give her.

My DD is getting one this year and she turns 8 in June. She has never been into Barbie but she loves those new Equestria girls that have just come out. She also asked for a house big enough for her ponies to live in lol.

So figure out what type of "doll" your DD likes to play with first then buy a house to suit.

Kidcraft just released a dollhouse for 18 inch dolls if your DD is into American girls. We don't have it in Austrailia or I would so totally get that.

Dollhouses are fun because a crafty kid can make all kinds of great things for them, like little furniture, curtains, accessories, bedspreads, rugs, etc., and many of the projects can be made for free with little scraps of stuff you already have at home. A dollhouse and a new Barbie or two would make amazing Christmas gifts!

Good point! This is exactly what my dd would do with it, too! Okay, time to find the right one. Thanks, all.

My daughters play with their dollhouse and doll castle all the time.  They are 6 and 7.  They got the dollhouse at age 2, but didn't even really start playing with it until they were 3 or 4.  They got the castle for Christmas a year or two ago.  It seems to me they have at least several more years of play left in them.

My sister got the Little People castle (the old version) when she was 8, and she played with it every day for years and years.  I was 2 years older, and I played with it too.  ;)

There are so many kinds of dollhouses, and some of them are indeed for tots, but not all of them.  My kids have the Fisher Price Loving Family dollhouse, but the thing they play with more is the Melissa & Doug wooden fold-out castle.  They have a bunch of small princess (and prince and knight) dolls, horses, and even dragons which are incorporated.  And sometimes superheroes, craft supplies, hair pretties (jewelry for the dolls), Legos, etc.  It definitely grows with the kids.

Just to add, we also have the Loving Family Dollhouse - it was actually the second dollhouse they had - the first I had bought when my oldest daughter was only two - it was a "my first dollhouse" style but was too small for two little girls trying to play at the same time. If I had to do it over again, I wish I would have bought the Pottery Barn Kids dollhouse that I originally wanted. I would love to get them this one I recently discovered if a pile of money dropped into my lap. :) Maybe gone in with Grandma or something. Expensive, but I have a feeling it would have been an heirloom sort of purchase. We definitely have gotten our money's worth and more out of current dollhouse!

I think it has more to do with the personality of the kid than the age.

I have a cousin who was three going on thirty and never would have touched them. Definately not the whimsical type. I've got siblings in their 20s who would probably still sit down and play with one. They are the most imaginative, crafty people I know.

Our oldest has a dollhouse that is modeled to look like our home.  It is a full house but on hinges so it can open up and be played with.  She got it the Christmas she was five. She wasn't the typical dollhouse kid but her dad kind of thought it was one of those things that little girls got and she was really excited when she first discovered it under the tree.  She played with it a lot right after Christmas that year and then  played with it intermittently in between music lessons and soccer games over the years at least until she was ten.   We still have her dollhouse in our playroom and her sisters play with it now. They are getting a stable to go with the dollhouse this year for Christmas. 

I agree it really depends on personality. Many dollhouses with smaller parts are really designed for ages 4+ (minimum). We got my dd a Calico Critter house at age 4 1/2. I hid the smallest pieces for the first year. It's still getting use at age 9 and she talks about wanting to do a kit someday. I don't think 6 is too old by a long shot.

My 9.5 yr dd still plays with her doll house regularly and with her girlfriends who are 9-10. I can see her playing with it in one way or another for a few years to come. We've spent some nice times together redecorating it and upgrading the furnishings (we bought it at an antique store for her 5th birthday). I'd definitely reccomend it- good healthy play that keeps them young. :)

I don't even want to imagine a world where age 6 would be considered too old for a dollhouse.

I didn't think 6 was too old. I just didn't know how many years we could get out of it. I was hoping for more than 1 or 2, and it sounds like we'll probably get that. I wasn't a doll house kind of girl, so I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff. :)