Menu

Elf on the Shelf

readinmom

Anyone want to join in with their elf's daily escapades?  Dd10's elf, Teddy, is due to arrive Sunday morning.  Dh and I are trying to think up some creative new adventures.   Frugal and free, of course.  I know that Pinterest has oodles on this topic, but I really enjoy sharing with people I "know". 

This was our first Elf. I put my 13yo daughter in charge of him for her younger brother (5). I'm not sure which one of them is having more fun. My little guy named him Jenga. The best part is seeing my little guy totally believes in the magic. He stuck his tounge out at me, he wasn't being bad but grandma said something to him. He immediatly ran to the Jenga and told him it was an accident and please tell Santa he wasnt being bad. LOL.

Hermie arrives tomorrow morning. He's been with us for 4 or 5 years now. He'll be bringing Lego advent calendars for the kids. And this year he has a doll friend tagging along from the North Pole.

Great idea with the advent calendars.  Might be too late, but I'm headed to Target.  Maybe I'll get lucky. 

Ours is named Dee although my daughter calls him "Santas Little Snitch". Last year he got into a lot of trouble. He took ALL the ornaments off the tree and we had to redecorate the tree the next morning. He ate all the candy out of the Advent calendars (luckily I had extra calendars ;)  ), stole the Christmas stockings and locked the cat up in the dog cage.

Ours is named Dee although my daughter calls him "Santas Little Snitch". Last year he got into a lot of trouble. He took ALL the ornaments off the tree and we had to redecorate the tree the next morning. He ate all the candy out of the Advent calendars (luckily I had extra calendars ;)  ), stole the Christmas stockings and locked the cat up in the dog cage.

I like your elf, he sounds like ours.  We need a spin off thread ... Elf on the Shelf, the Naughty Version.

Our elf is a replacement for our original, which I lost.  Rather than buy a new one, a friend gave us one that she picked up in a yard sale.  He has seen better days.  So we embraced it and made him naughty.  

He has toilet papered our tree, eaten an entire pie (found sitting in the pan, covered in pie goo), finished the candy (found in a pile of wrappers) and I can't remember all the other messes he's made.  We started running out of ideas last year, so I'm going to steal some of the above!

Okay...I officially stink as a fun, cool mom. This is our second year with elves (Buddy and Snowflake). Last year they arrived on the front porch in a box with a cool letter from Santa. They will reappear tomorrow, but I have nothing for them to bring! No candy, no toys, no ideas for a letter from Santa. I should have planned something fun...but I didn't. Sometimes I wonder why I start these traditions!!!

Okay...I officially stink as a fun, cool mom. This is our second year with elves (Buddy and Snowflake). Last year they arrived on the front porch in a box with a cool letter from Santa. They will reappear tomorrow, but I have nothing for them to bring! No candy, no toys, no ideas for a letter from Santa. I should have planned something fun...but I didn't. Sometimes I wonder why I start these traditions!!!

I think you have a lot on your plate.  Give yourself some space.  

If you google elf on the shelf you'll find a ton of easy ideas for tomorrow!  

Oh, and I'm with you.  No plans, elf is arriving tomorrow.  Oops.  But... to add to the drama... I've lost the elf again.  Uh oh.

Charley arrived. He is just sitting on the wreath over the fireplace. Nothing special. My littles were very excited to see him. You don't need to plan anything big. We pretty much just move him every night.

Renee, that is hilarious! I am much more on the side of mischievous elves than those that spy on kids and "report" back to Santa.

Maybe y'all can use some of the ideas these folks thought of in this great story that came up on my FB feed last week:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/these-parents-are-spending-all-of-november-making-their-chil?s=mobile

Charley arrived. He is just sitting on the wreath over the fireplace. Nothing special. My littles were very excited to see him. You don't need to plan anything big. We pretty much just move him every night.

Yep. Penelope Peppermint is sitting on the lintel of the living room door and that's enough excitement for us! We just move her every night. Nothing elaborate or I won't be able to keep up. :)

Yep. Penelope Peppermint is sitting on the lintel of the living room door and that's enough excitement for us! We just move her every night. Nothing elaborate or I won't be able to keep up. :)

I sat down on Thanksgiving and came up with 30 or so ideas, and then bought the stuff that I needed.  If I had to think of one everyday it would never happen!

Wow. I was thinking this could be a great tradition. Something fun and cheap for the kids, but holy cow... $30+ for an elf? Wowza. I'm sure lots of you have gotten them cheaper.. passed on or at garage sales, etc. That was quite the sticker shock, though!

You don't have to have that elf. A lot of people use a different elf. I didn't even know what elf on a shelf was. We have an elf that had been on my mothers tree as a child, then on mine and years ago was passed to my kids for their tree. A friend came over and saw him and started asking where I got my elf on a shelf that looked so different? His face is a bit different the body style is about the same. I had to look up what an elf on the shelf was LOL! I would just try to find an elf and use that or even sew one like some other moms did.

my other adult nephew went to buy a elf for his dc.  He grabbed a female one and took it to the cashier.  The cashier looked at it and said
"Do you realize that this one is (spoken in a whisper) ethnic? " My nephew is half Puerto Rican and half Italian and is very dark himself and looks very 'ethnic".  The cashier was white and next to her was a black cashier.  THe cashier then said "We have white elves coming in next week"  . Nephew just said that he was happy with the one that he had picked out.   Can you believe that cashier?

I found most of these online:

Snow Angel (powdered sugar)

Fishing in sink for goldfish

Toilet papering tree

Ducted taped to wall taken prisoner by green army men

Drinking syrup

Playing a game

Circus Elf (hanging upside down from candy cane trapeze)

Stuffed Animal Sack Race

Elf Hid candy canes (scavenger hunt)

Elf planted magic seeds (tic tacs in powdered sugar – replace with candy canes the next day)

Tangled up in Christmas lights

Taking a shower

Snowball fight with barbee or stuffed animal (marshmallows)

Hanging out in fridge

On toilet paper roll swing

Doing laundry

In a shoe

Puts streamers across bedroom doors

Serving powdered sugar doughnuts

Hanging from light

Sitting in shoe holding laces like a sleigh

Writing his own Christmas list

Building block tower

Watching TV with remote and popcorn

Head stuck in M & M bag

Kneeling on Bible praying (this is where he will be Christmas morning)

Looking at toy catalog

Bench Pressing (toothpick with marshmallow on each end)

Wow. I was thinking this could be a great tradition. Something fun and cheap for the kids, but holy cow... $30+ for an elf? Wowza. I'm sure lots of you have gotten them cheaper.. passed on or at garage sales, etc. That was quite the sticker shock, though!

I bought an elf at Hobby Lobby for $2.  

I detest everything about the elf. Only in America can we manufacture and market a "tradition" like this.

My poor kids will have to stick to the plain old boring Christian tradition of advent.

I do very much enjoy the "adult" elf jokes.

How about you look at this a little differently.  We never had Christmas traditions, because my children's father did not really like Christmas.  We couldn't watch Christmas movies, we couldn't listen to Christmas songs, and I didn't get Christmas presents for YEARS.

This is our first Christmas apart, and we are trying to create traditions.  The Elf is *fun* - manufactured or not.  I'm sorry if that offends you, but I for one am having a BLAST trying to make up for the past.  I am glad to hear my children giggle in the mornings when they figure out where he is.

And, for the record, we have never done the "Santa thing" in our house, so it really is just good fun.

My daughter is spending this year in Denmark as a missionary for our church.  Christmas is a super big deal there, and has been in swing already for a couple of weeks.  One thing she wrote about recently is Nisse.  Nisse is a Danish elf that is a little bit of a trouble maker.  Actually, there are many Nisser - lots of little silly elves.  The Danes love those little Nisser and decorate with them all season.  The tradition is that Nisse is a helpful little elf around old farm houses, but at Christmas time he/she can cause trouble, so families will leave out a bowl of porridge to sweeten him up a little so that his pranks will be more friendly than mean...

When I read about the Nisser it reminded me of Elf on a Shelf.  We haven't done the elf thing, because my kids are older, and it seems a little hokey to me, but Nisse sounds so cute.  I am planning to make a few Nisser to put around our house and maybe I will have them get into a little trouble - just so we can feel like we are a little closer to our daughter in Denmark... but there is no way I would have a set schedule of daily pranks!

I don't know why, but it feels a little nicer to think about adopting a sweet elf tradition from Denmark than going with something that Hallmark made up...  (even though it's basically the same thing..)

Here is a link where you can buy your own Nisser - Trip Trap Nisser

And here's a little more about Nisse - Christmas in Denmark

And here's where my daughter talked about the Nisser - Livet er Dejligt - scroll down, it's toward the end of the blog post.

Isn't that fun!

My girls favorite elf sighting was the morning she had gotten into our bag of flour. She sprinkled it around like snow, made a snow angel, and some snowballs. They were so excited to see the elf this morning.

I love this!! I just did this with our elf and my DH thinks I've gone off the deep end. I can't wait for my DD to get up!

We are having a blast with our elf!  My 3 year old loves finding him in the morning!  We are not following any 'rules' that so many people seem to have their tinsel in a tangle about!  So far our elf has brought a sleigh of elf kisses, camped out under the tree and roasted marshmallows and last night he was hanging out on the dart board.  When we found him this morning he had fallen over and looked like he has hanging on for dear life lol

Snowflake is perched on the end table, with a "tent" he made out of a box last night, a blanket and pillow, cookies, milk, and some crayons, coloring and admiring our tree. Yesterday, he'd gotten "stuck" in my china house chimney. Ds couldn't even fathom how he'd gotten in there or why, unless it was to try and smell the candle.

(I have a lot of fun with this)

My kids look forward to the elf. He's fun and for family it's been a great tradition. I'm sure as they get older they'll outgrow it, so we'll enjoy the elf while we can. We also enjoy our Jesse Tree tradition each evening. We were doing that long before the Elf. People are untitled to their opinions, but it sure seems a lot crankiness is being shared this year about the Elf (here and on FB).

Today our Elf is having a snowball fight with Mr. Potato Head. They have forts made out of giant marshmallows. Mr. Potato Head is aiming a marshmallow at the elf.

We only just started our elf last year. My boys loved when Elfie was found waiting in the van already strapped in his seatbelt. We were going to the zoo that day so Elfie came along. The boys were a little concerned when they couldn't find him in the house. Their favorite last year was the last night he came. He was in a coffee mug (his sleigh) and monster truck reindeer were pulling him. The reindeer had pipe cleaner antlers and rudolph led the way. Love Pintrest :).

I'm going to have the boys set up their Geotrax so the train dudes can strap Elfie down on the tracks. Last year I can do this since I'm selling the trains soon.

I have a confession. Our elf has a split personality. After everyone goes to bed he gets into R-rated or X-rated trouble. I take a picture of it and then in the morning I have been sending the pics to my DH at work. My daughter would die if she ever knew the situations her elf has been into ;)  .

How about you look at this a little differently.  We never had Christmas traditions, because my children's father did not really like Christmas.  We couldn't watch Christmas movies, we couldn't listen to Christmas songs, and I didn't get Christmas presents for YEARS.

This is our first Christmas apart, and we are trying to create traditions.  The Elf is *fun* - manufactured or not.  I'm sorry if that offends you, but I for one am having a BLAST trying to make up for the past.  I am glad to hear my children giggle in the mornings when they figure out where he is.

And, for the record, we have never done the "Santa thing" in our house, so it really is just good fun.

I have to agree with you. I'm not especially a fan of buying "THE" Elf on a Shelf boxed kit, but I do admire the fun of coming up with these funny situations for the elves. I have not done the elf thing - I'm afraid if I try to start it, my OCD will kick in and I will spend too much time trying to do something awesome! But I think it's cool and could create a ton of funny memories for the kids. 

I have to agree with you. I'm not especially a fan of buying "THE" Elf on a Shelf boxed kit, but I do admire the fun of coming up with these funny situations for the elves. I have not done the elf thing - I'm afraid if I try to start it, my OCD will kick in and I will spend too much time trying to do something awesome! But I think it's cool and could create a ton of funny memories for the kids. 

It's been about the memories for us.  We are doing an advent wreath for the first time ever (25 years) and we have been eating in the dining room every night.  We have a different topic of conversation, and it's been fun just spending quality time with the kids.  Even ds23 didn't go out tonight until after dinner because he didn't want to miss the family time. 

We didn't do the elf with the boys.  It's a new experience for us.  There are people at work who go all out every night; I don't have the energy or finances.  One had their elf arrive in a remote-controlled hot air balloon during Thanksgiving dinner.  :lol:

Our Teddy arrived last night in a bowl of cheerios.  He wrote "I'm back" with the extra cheerios on the dining table.  That's more our speed.  It doesn't have to be extravagant.  Just make some memories.