Menu

Favorite strategy games for the very young?

I am looking specifically for recommendations for our 3 yr old ( she is approaching 4, but she thinks more like a 6-7 yr old, but with the patience of a 3 yr old). Our games are either too babyish or too complicated for her.

Is Rush Hour jr any good? Would it be a possibility?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Connect 4

Mille Bornes

Tiki Topple

Labyrinth

Jenga

Blockus

Checkers

Thanks   I look into a few of those.  She has been playing Connect 4 for over a yr.   Jenga she doesn't have enough fine motor control for (that and she she wiggles too much too.)  I don't think she is ready for Blockus's strategy.    She really just uses the pieces like a puzzle.   So.....she is probably between Connect 4 and Blockus in terms of level.

I have one of those about-to-turn 4 kiddos as well!

We play a lot of games, usually 3-4 different ones per day at a minimum as it is a way to satisfy her little brain without sitting down for yet more 'work' .

We have actually found it better to buy games more advanced and play very fast or alter the rules, but there are a couple of favorites that are probably more what you are thinking of. I am sure you already have loads of games from your older kids.

Rush Hour, Jr.-this is one of the first I bought at about 2, and it has always been a hit. We now have Rush Hour, and honestly? The Jr. Version is more cutesy with the little ice cream truck, and the levels do move up more quickly, but I think most advanced preschoolers could handle Rush Hour. If you have an IPad there is an app version.

No Stress Chess- this one has been awesome! The game has several levels, but in the very beginning you are only setting up the chess board and flipping cards to teach the kids how each piece moves. They still get the joy of capturing pieces, and it moves very, very quickly. Almost immediately mine began to anticipate and plan ahead. And because the cards dictate the moves for that level, they often win. (I don't do the whole letting them win thing.) oh, and the cards have a holder so that they don't have to hold them.

Blokus- mine really likes Blokus, both to play and to play a pattern strategy game she invented. We play it with only 2 players as it goes much faster and is a bit easier. Someone in the forum mentioned there is a Blokus, jr. As well, but I have not played it.

Card games- we like Rat-a-tat cat, Zeus on the Loose, UNO, and lots others. I made her a card holder from two plastic disposeable lids with a brad through the center when she was smaller, and this has helped a lot...both for holding her cards when she plays and to quickly resume when her exuberance or endurance necessitates a dancing or jumping break:)

She also really likes to play checkers, connect 4, and the older games.

Not so much as a strategy game, but she really likes Q-bitz. It can be played as a race to create the pattern between 2 people, and this has been really cool. It has helped me so much as I was always a bit more spatially-challenged:)

Quirkle is also good for this age, although we find this one a bit more difficult as she tends to get a bit over-zealous and the pieces end up being moved all over.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot Zoological! That was a favorite forever.

I have one of those about-to-turn 4 kiddos as well!

We play a lot of games, usually 3-4 different ones per day at a minimum as it is a way to satisfy her little brain without sitting down for yet more 'work' .

We have actually found it better to buy games more advanced and play very fast or alter the rules, but there are a couple of favorites that are probably more what you are thinking of. I am sure you already have loads of games from your older kids.

Rush Hour, Jr.-this is one of the first I bought at about 2, and it has always been a hit. We now have Rush Hour, and honestly? The Jr. Version is more cutesy with the little ice cream truck, and the levels do move up more quickly, but I think most advanced preschoolers could handle Rush Hour. If you have an IPad there is an app version.

No Stress Chess- this one has been awesome! The game has several levels, but in the very beginning you are only setting up the chess board and flipping cards to teach the kids how each piece moves. They still get the joy of capturing pieces, and it moves very, very quickly. Almost immediately mine began to anticipate and plan ahead. And because the cards dictate the moves for that level, they often win. (I don't do the whole letting them win thing.) oh, and the cards have a holder so that they don't have to hold them.

Blokus- mine really likes Blokus, both to play and to play a pattern strategy game she invented. We play it with only 2 players as it goes much faster and is a bit easier. Someone in the forum mentioned there is a Blokus, jr. As well, but I have not played it.

Card games- we like Rat-a-tat cat, Zeus on the Loose, UNO, and lots others. I made her a card holder from two plastic disposeable lids with a brad through the center when she was smaller, and this has helped a lot...both for holding her cards when she plays and to quickly resume when her exuberance or endurance necessitates a dancing or jumping break:)

She also really likes to play checkers, connect 4, and the older games.

Not so much as a strategy game, but she really likes Q-bitz. It can be played as a race to create the pattern between 2 people, and this has been really cool. It has helped me so much as I was always a bit more spatially-challenged:)

Quirkle is also good for this age, although we find this one a bit more difficult as she tends to get a bit over-zealous and the pieces end up being moved all over.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot Zoological! That was a favorite forever.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.   Our kids do sound very similar.  She already knows how to move chess pieces.   She doesn't really understand how to play, but she does know how the different pieces are supposed to move.  So I will definitely look into that one. We don't own Rush Hour.   Do you think we need to start her with Jr or jump right into the regular game.

I want games that my 8 and 12 yr old will be willing to play with her.  

FWIW, Amazon has their games buy one get one 50% off.

Card games. They sell card holders, but I like the sound of Kerileanne's DIY version :)

I started as a wee one sitting on my grandma's lap while she played solitaire, poker and rummy.  By 2nd grade, on weekends I was allowed to stay up with the adults playing hearts into the wee hours.  We still play hearts at every family get-together. Kids still start off on our laps and eventually sit in their own chairs playing their own hands. LOL

Cards are inexpensive, easy and convenient; all ages can play and there are as many games as there are stars in the sky.

We all played Taiga together recently, simple enough for my 4 year old to follow along, interesting/challenging enough for the rest of us!  Rounds are quick so that helps. 

Landlock is a great map/maze kind of game that we simplify a little.  I like playing it with her. (we got that used, I had no idea it was this much money!! I wouldn't pay that for it).

Sorry and Uno are all-time favorites, as is Guess Who. 

Tsuro is a game we just got and is AWESOME.  Pretty quick, can be made into a cooperative game (just change the goal from: get each other off the board, to: let's see if we can make the longest path possible). 

We also play a lot of Go to the Dump, Money Pyramid, and other homemade mathgames.

Enjoy!

We don't own Rush Hour.   Do you think we need to start her with Jr or jump right into the regular game.

Skip the Junior.  My kids cleared the levels at an educational supply and game store.  We bought the Rush Hour Delux and there are Expansion Packs (2,3 and 4) for the game to add on the fun.   My kids are now eyeing Thinkfun's Laser Maze

Have you look at Tangrams?  There are plenty of tangram puzzles to solve printable from online sites and books in the library. My kids are having fun with The Tangram Book by Jerry Slocum borrowed from the library.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. Our kids do sound very similar. She already knows how to move chess pieces. She doesn't really understand how to play, but she does know how the different pieces are supposed to move. So I will definitely look into that one. We don't own Rush Hour. Do you think we need to start her with Jr or jump right into the regular game.

FWIW, Amazon has their games buy one get one 50% off.

I would definitely skip the Rush Hour Jr version, especially if you want the older kid to play. Really, it just gives more room to grow, and we have the expansion packs as well.

Definitely look at the No Stress Chess, there are five levels to move through. Teaching the strategy part is painless:)

8FillTheHeart-

I asked my dd if I had missed any of her favorites and she reminded me of a couple. Many, many of her favorites are more math oriented like S'math and King Tut, but she also asks for the game of Set A Lot!!!

Skippity is quite a bit of fun, but very similar to checkers. Still, it is a nice variation.

Set also comes as a junior version. We have both, but there again, I would give it a miss. And this game moves quickly because there aren't really turns:)

The following are not specifically strategy games but games that you can have her play with older siblings: I highly recommend Apples to Apples or Apples to Apples, Jr. It is hilarious, and has given my kiddo a huge vocabulary. You didn't say if yours is reading, but someone could read her the word easily and she could do the rest.

Also, have you seen Rory's Story Cubes? These are a lot of fun for the littles, and generate awesome narration skills as a bonus:)

Dd like to make up elaborate stories, so I got these. Just simple dice with pictures, and you take turns creating hilarious stories around the pics on your roll.

Thanks everyone. We are huge gamers and already own many of the games mentioned. Some I know she couldn't play without everyone getting frustrated bc she wiggles so much. She could play Carcassonne or Qwirkle, but she bangs the pieces too much and the other kids lose patience with her. I hadn't thought about Set or Tsuro with her. Definitely not with the other kids, but I could definitely play those with her. I'm going to pull those out and try them with her. Tangrams she does do on her ownquite a bit.

I'm ordering Rush Hour and No Stress Chess for her. Thanks for those recommendations. Eta: Oops, I forgot that I ordered the story cubes, too. I gave those to my niece last yr and my sister said that she loves them.

Fwiw, the Amazon deal is here. For those just starting off on the purchasing of games, it is a good deal. We already own the games we would want other than Rush Hour. For those just starting out, settlers of Catan, Qwirkle, Ticket to Ride, Blockus, Risk, and Stratego are all great options. (Risk and Stratego are ones my kids play that I don't.). Sequence is good for large groups.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ty_deals_td_bogo50_gamestgt?ie=UTF8&docId=1001911511&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0J278DRTYCV8PDFZ33D2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1680024142&pf_rd_i=360960011

Mancala

The Muggins company makes some simpler games. We have Knockout/Muggins and love them both. I think these two games would be too much for a 4yo, but they have another for younger ones. Jellybeans, I think.

Ditto-ing Set.  Mine have caught onto that one early.

These require some strategy:

- Mancala

- Parcheesi

Aggravation (the older edition with a full-sized board, marbles and dice)

- Shut the Box (requires adding)

Toss Up (requires counting to 100)

- Gobblet (cross between checkers and tic-tac-toe)

Not strategy games, but might be a fit for your advanced pre-schooler:

- Uno

- Set

- Racko (requires number ordering up to 100)

- The Secret Door  (cooperative; a bit like concentration/memory game)

- Round Up (cooperative; a bit like concentration/memory game)

- Amazing Labrynth

These are not strategy and likely too young for an advanced 3yo, but our DSs enjoyed these in the pre-K/Kinder years:

- Concentration / Memory Game

- Hungry Hippos (the crazy free-for-all was the appeal)

- Mousetrap (it's the Rube Goldberg and construction aspect that was the appeal)

- Battleship (downside: the little pegs were frustrating to manipulate, and easy to accidentally knock out) 

- games played with a deck of cards (Crazy Eights, War, Concentration...)

Dweebies is a good simple yet fun game. We pull it out when we're playing with younger kids or when we want a game that doesn't take an hour to play. Most of the Gamewright games are pretty good for younger kids. We started with Hiss when our son was probably 2. We also have Gubs, Castle Keep, and Forbidden Island. Forbidden Island can be good because it's cooperative. It led us to a bunch of other cooperative games.

We like swish (played it today) but it can be hard for kids without good spacial awareness, I know a lot of 3 year olds who would have trouble with it, and only a couple who would have been cool with it.

Qwirkle is great. Dice games are good, there are a lot of different themed press your luck games. As long as an older player is willing to help with the counting and scoring they work well. There's Pass the Pigs, zombie dice, martian dice, cthulu dice, and a bunch of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Most of the lego games are good for younger kids, but get repetitive and boring for the parents. :) I'd usually rather play a more involved cooperative game than these, but my son likes that they're lego.

We also have a game called Honey Bee Tree, that we bought when our son was about three, at lakeshore learning. It's like Kerplunk, except instead of glass marbles it uses plastic bees. Less breakable and still works on fine motor skills. Don't break the ice is another one we used to play, as well as Guess Who. 

With help, ticket to ride and settlers of Catan.

Your 3 and 4 yr olds must be way different than mine.   Mine could definitely not play these 2 games.   Thye don't have the attention span to play a game last that long nor could they follow the complexity of the game.   She is bright, but she is definitely not at that level.

Your 3 and 4 yr olds must be way different than mine. Mine could definitely not play these 2 games. Thye don't have the attention span to play a game last that long nor could they follow the complexity of the game. She is bright, but she is definitely not at that level.

Play means help Dad or I play for 10 minutes, run off, come back and help...

Actually, our son was pretty good at Catan at 4, but I don't think our daughter could have hacked the math at that age. He figured out some good trades for his age. Of course, her reading skills were much better at a young age. Ironically, he likes Scrabble and she doesn't. She was good at Apples to Apples at a younger age than him and still enjoys it more.

Chicken foot and Mexican Train are some dominoes games that might work.

My just turned 5yo has been playing rush hour, hoppers, labrynth, quoridor and blokus for well over a year now and loves them all.

She also likes tangrams and pentominoes, they are not exactly games but fun and strategic and definitely doable for 4yo's

Your 3 and 4 yr olds must be way different than mine.   Mine could definitely not play these 2 games.   Thye don't have the attention span to play a game last that long nor could they follow the complexity of the game.   She is bright, but she is definitely not at that level.

My dd started playing Catan Jr. at four.  It's a simplified version of SoC.

Thank you for this thread! I have a similar 3 almost 4 year old and there are some great ideas here. My dd loves Spot It, Sequence States and Capitals and Sequence Sandwich. I hadn't thought of Set, but she would probably love it.

I would love to take advantage of that Amazon sale but unsure how? How do you apply the deal? I have a bunch of games in my cart but they are showing up at regular price. Also for my kids ages (to play with mom and dad) which would be the top ones? (My oldest 2 are just learning Settlers of Catan now).

Ticket to ride

Rush hour

Quirkle

Carcassonne

These are a few we have been considering. What would be top 2 for their ages if we love Settlers?

Sorry if this is hijacking!!!

We like the game Gobblet (it has a Gobblet gobblers jr version but i think the the regular version would be fine).

Ducks in a row by think fun. It is out of print but I saw some used ones on amazon for cheap. It is a 4 in a row type game. It's one of my 5yr olds favorites.

My 7yr old likes the game Mix Up a lot. I haven't tried it with my younger kids but I think they could do it. Someone is colors and the other player is shapes and u try to get 4 in a row of whichever you are.

My 2 older kids started playing catan jr at 4 and they both loved it. My 3 yr old isn't quite ready for it.

Busy town is my 3 yr olds favorite game. You work together to find hidden objects. It is by wonder forge games. We like all of the games we have from that company (what's in the cats hat and one fish memory game and curious George zoo)

Game wright games have been a hit here as well as no stress chess

At that age mine played a lot of Gamewright and Ravensberger games. I like Gamewright card games because they are quick, lol.

Rat a Tat Cat was the first and has always been the one they remember with the most fondness. In addition, Slamwich and There's a Moose in the House (a wee bit harder) were also beloved.

Ravensberger faves were Snail's Pace Race, Rivers, Roads & Rails and Mystery Garden. The latter two have changed in looks but hopefully not in content.

Hth,

Georgia

Thank you for this thread! I have a similar 3 almost 4 year old and there are some great ideas here. My dd loves Spot It, Sequence States and Capitals and Sequence Sandwich. I hadn't thought of Set, but she would probably love it.

I would love to take advantage of that Amazon sale but unsure how? How do you apply the deal? I have a bunch of games in my cart but they are showing up at regular price. Also for my kids ages (to play with mom and dad) which would be the top ones? (My oldest 2 are just learning Settlers of Catan now).

Ticket to ride

Rush hour

Quirkle

Carcassonne

These are a few we have been considering. What would be top 2 for their ages if we love Settlers?

Sorry if this is hijacking!!!

I think I would get ticket to ride and qwirkle, then follow as soon as you can with Carcassonne. You really can't go wrong with any of those. I think the amazon sale is over, but they almost always have several board game sales throughout the season.

I think I would get ticket to ride and qwirkle, then follow as soon as you can with Carcassonne. You really can't go wrong with any of those. I think the amazon sale is over, but they almost always have several board game sales throughout the season.

Never fear about missing the Amazon game sale! Barnes and Noble still has their games and educational toys BOGO 50% off...and a code to save an additional 30% off an item with BFRIDAY30. The offer says good through the 2nd:)

So I (and others!) absolutely recommend Rush Hour for young kids, and I was just flipping through the holiday National Geographic catalogue. They have the neatest Safari version of Rush Hour inspired by Tanzania's Serengeti National Park. All animals instead of cars:)

Anyway, I thought it might be of interest for young animal lovers!

http://mshop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/m/product/productList.jsp?removeAllFacets=true&addFacet=19016:1:SRCH:2002228&_requestid=2854438

I bought a few games based off of this thread, but just received Carcasonne. Can anyone tell me why it says for ages 13+? Did I buy the wrong thing?

I think you ordered the wrong thing. Carcassone is for teens and adults. A couple people mentioned Kids of Carcasonne as a younger alternative, though!

I bought a few games based off of this thread, but just received Carcasonne. Can anyone tell me why it says for ages 13+? Did I buy the wrong thing?

My 8 yod learned how to play Carcassonne when she was 5.   If you stick with the base game (no expansions), its rules are very simple and not hard to master for a young child.   By the time she was 7, she was playing with several expansion packs added in.   With some assistance and partnering, they gradually learn strategy.   Personally,  I would not classify Carcassonne as a teen/adult game.   It is one of the simplest strategy games we own.

I have heard (but have no idea if it is true) that US safety standards and testing are higher for things intended for 12 and under and that is why lots of games say 13+. As far as Carcassone, my five and seven yr olds play. When we get a new game, DH and I play it a few times, then play with a kid on our team, then let them play on their own with hints, then let them play all alone. One way to make Carcassone easier is to play without the farmers. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...