Menu

What do you drive with 5 kids?

Bree

we drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna with five kids. And they bicker and fight and all that. They do it less with a Jim Weiss CD in.  DH had this wonderful idea of getting a sound-proof piece of Plexiglas to fit between the driver's seat and the rest of the car. Would make things much better. But, he hasn't gotten very far with that idea.

we drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna with five kids. And they bicker and fight and all that. They do it less with a Jim Weiss CD in.  DH had this wonderful idea of getting a sound-proof piece of Plexiglas to fit between the driver's seat and the rest of the car. Would make things much better. But, he hasn't gotten very far with that idea.

We joke that we're gonna get a limo for that reason.  ;)  We drive a Ford Freestar (I would NOT recommend it...lol)  My kids do bicker.  We also do CD's and since our last trip all the kids saved up their money and bought DS's.  (Ok, not the little guy)  I'm hoping our trip to DC next month is much quieter.  ;)

We had a GMC full size van for many years, think Chevy Astro. It sat 8 comfortably, even with 4 in carseats/boosters + 1 older. We now have a Honda Odyssey. It also seats 8, 7 comfortably, but it just feels way smaller. I don't notice it as much anymore (we've had the Honda a year and a half) but I do still miss my big van sometimes.

We also have a 2004 Toyota Sienna that seats 7, with our 5 kids. We used to have a tiny pickup truck, but when the twins were born, decided to get a used diesel Excursion instead, which seats 8. Then we can at least take one other person in our car, or haul something behind the vehicle. Bickering is a given. We typically listen to audio books picked by the kids when we drive though—if it's on, they're more likely to listen than anything else.

Erica in OR

We drove a used 15 passenger van for a while, before the kids started driving their own cars. There was room for the seven of us, plus the dog, luggage or cargo, or some friends. I liked driving it but, even though it was a diesel, it used too much fuel and repairs were always expensive.

We have a 2003 Town and Country. When all 7 of us need to be in it, the kids aren't thrilled to have the 6yo's car seat in the middle of the third row, but it's lap belt only, so it has to have a harnessed kid!

When it's just 5-6 of us, it's plenty roomy for people. Not so roomy if also traveling with 2 large dogs. Torture if traveling with 7 people, 2 large dogs, and luggage!

We have a Chrysler Town & Country that seats 7. The three in the back row fight and bicker. The van is paid off and we have no desire to add a monthly car payment to our budget. I'm thinking that if/when we go on a long distance vacation that we will have to rent something bigger to alleviate the fighting.

Cadillac Escalade Platinum edition. Seats 5 kiddos and 2 adults very comfortably. But the beauty is 3 separate movie systems that also hook up to video games. So you can have 2 playing video games while the others are watching a movie, etc. We also use those little zip down desks which fit on the back of each seat. Four kiddos can be doing desk work at a time. Those work great no matter what car you own.