Menu

rainbow loom

ProudGrandma

My daughter makes tons of styles of bracelets, anklets, necklaces.  She's made a small purse.  She's made "bottomless flip-flops" and wants to try to make a full pair. YouTube has TONS of tutorials, like others have said.  She's had hers since August and she still uses it just about every day.

~coffee~

I've never even heard of this, but it looks cool!  I'm thinking about getting 2 - One for DD10 and one for DSD9.  They're both creative and I think would enjoy these, but I'm having nightmares about all the rubber bands on the floor......

I gave one to our Granddaughter several weeks ago for her birthday.  Since they were visiting for a week it seemed like a good idea to give her something to do while she was here.

She loved it!  I have a cute little pink and white bracelet on right now!

As for those rubberbands Michaels had a display of cases right next to the Rainbow Loom at the store.  It stores bags of rubberbands, the luittle clips and bonus: the loom too!  Fabulous.  I was able to use a coupon on that storage case. The loom and the case were around $20.00 together when one 50% off coupone for the case.

I don't think those are the same brand. I think the one in the black box is probably breaking trademark law because they put "rainbow" on it..

I saw a bunch at michaels and you can buy them from the store online. The rainbow kind comes apart and you can stagger the pegs or use them side by side. We saw some that were all one piece and dd didn't like those. 

I haven't seen that kind so I don't know if it comes apart or not. I would get the rainbow kind just because dd preferred it.

So, then the first one (NOT the black box) is the "real" thing?  I checked Hobby Lobby's website, but didn't think about Michaels....I will go there now. thanks

If you have Learning Express in your area they are also carrying them.

Dd made some starburst designs, she seems to be into making the hexafish now. She also likes the ladder one.

how old are your daughters who love this?  My dd is 13, and she is VERY crafty...would she like this??  Is it better than making the friendship bracelets with embroidery thread?

Is it better? I don't think the kids are looking at it that way. This is the latest cool craft thing. :D

how old are your daughters who love this?  My dd is 13, and she is VERY crafty...would she like this??  Is it better than making the friendship bracelets with embroidery thread?

We have both. IMO, the friendship bracelets with embroidery thread are much nicer and more attractive. The girls are ignoring friendship bracelets and prefer the rainbow loom right now, however, because it is new and cool. I kind of think they're tacky- like jewelry made out of the rubber bands for braces! And now I am constantly finding tiny lost rubber bands on the floor. But the girls love it and have fun and it keeps them busy and being creative.

If you search "Rainbow Loom Books" on Amazon several options with user reviews come up.  These look like fun!  I'd probably look a little silly doing this as a 30+ year old.  Maybe I'll use the excuse that I'm a youth leader.  I was just making them for the teens...not me, I swear!

The looms and bracelets made are so popular where I live that some schools have banned them. And wherever I go I see those rubber bands everywhere on the floor, lol. I keep finding them in restaurants, our hotel room, doctor's office, etc. It reminds me of tribbles from Star Trek.

We have both. IMO, the friendship bracelets with embroidery thread are much nicer and more attractive. The girls are ignoring friendship bracelets and prefer the rainbow loom right now, however, because it is new and cool. I kind of think they're tacky- like jewelry made out of the rubber bands for braces! And now I am constantly finding tiny lost rubber bands on the floor. But the girls love it and have fun and it keeps them busy and being creative.

Sorry, but I have pulled a bedazzle out of my foot with pliers. Finding tiny rubber bands is a pleasure compared to that! There are definitely worse trends. ;)

Same thing in my house.  Since my dd does not actually have the loom she has become quite inventive with a fork and a couple of magic markers.

I bought one of these for my daughter....and just the other day she was looking through an Oriental Trading magazine and came across their version of this item and mentioned just how cool it was and that it was very popular right now.  So I am patting myself on the back for coming across this item before she mentioned it....

Does anybody know what the quality of the bands from Oriental Trading is?  They have so many varities, colors, etc...but I don't want to buy junk either.