Menu

Questions for Americans

bolt.

There are laid-back people in the US too.  Lots of them.  They don't travel much nor make the network news, so you don't see much of them.  But they exist.  ;)  You'll have to take my word for it.

Actually, laid-back Americans do travel. We just get mistaken for Canadians when abroad. (just kidding) (maybe not) (I was mistaken for being from Finland when I was in the Soviet Union.)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defiantly a US concept. form your posts I gain the understanding that some Americans don't care about the national sovereignty of neighboring countries and would just like to claim them as part of their own country.

Canadians have a problem with being called American BECAUSE THEY ARE A DIFFERENT COUNRTY FROM USA

Wow, stop yelling.

No, it's not really perceived as a friendly gesture, because it's seen as once again the Americans want things their way and they are not listening to the people around them. You can be neighbours and friendly, but if you don't respect the individual as unique and their thoughts as valuable, and just want them to do things the way you want them, then it's not friendly.

You know, this whole thing came up because I was wondering why Canadians talk like the US is the only country on the North American continent.  I have certainly never been under the impression that Canada is not a separate country.  If you guys took it that way, obviously you have a lot of baggage that has nothing to do with me.

As for the comments about respecting the individual as unique and their thoughts as valuable, that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

I do not believe any American thinks Canada or Mexico are just like us. Americans tend to focus on our similarities- it's kind of a cultural norm for people to focus on our similarities with our people groups. It's in all kinds of children's books, movies, and social lessons in elementary school. Perhaps Canadians tend to focus on differences since they need to or they feel they'll be swallowed up by our big media and population? Nobody is saying that the United States and Canada are the same, and nobody seems to be saying there are no similarities. I think we just tend to focus on different things.

This is a good point.  In the US if you focus on differences among people, that is viewed as negative.  We are very much encouraged to focus on how we are all fundamentally humans with equal value etc.  I'm sure this is partly to try to undo some of the problems that have come from thinking different = less valuable.  From slavery to segregated bathrooms to people being icked out by the touch of a hand of a different color.  Focusing on the similarities vs. the differences was supposed to be an evolution toward greater civility.

Whenever someone in the US says "we're all basically the same," it is meant kindly.

However, now that I know some Canadians are touchy about this for reasons completely unrelated to me, I shall try to remember not to imply we have much in common with you folks up there.

This is a good point.  In the US if you focus on differences among people, that is viewed as negative.  We are very much encouraged to focus on how we are all fundamentally humans with equal value etc.  I'm sure this is partly to try to undo some of the problems that have come from thinking different = less valuable.  From slavery to segregated bathrooms to people being icked out by the touch of a hand of a different color.  Focusing on the similarities vs. the differences was supposed to be an evolution toward greater civility.

Whenever someone in the US says "we're all basically the same," it is meant kindly.

However, now that I know some Canadians are touchy about this for reasons completely unrelated to me, I shall try to remember not to imply we have much in common with you folks up there.

See, this is where attitudes and ways of thinking are unique and rather interesting. You seem to see differences are negative, whereas I see them as positive. I love the fact that we have diversity in cultures in Canada and that I can go and eat at an authentic Chinese restaurant where the mother of the cook doesn't speak a word of English. That is just so cool. People who immigrate to Canada are offered English-language (or French-language in Quebec) education so that they can funtion in society, but they are encouraged to maintain their own cultural identity. There are goverment funded programs and celebrations for cultural and international language programs and events.

As a parallel, I'm fascinated by the fact that New Zealand, as such a tiny pair of islands with a very similar history to Australia, retains it's own identity, culture and independence. I might remark on how similar (yet not identical) their accent is to an Australian, but I'd never call them an Australian because they belonged to the continent of Australia. I would respect their individuality and value of being exactly who they were. They know they're similar to Australians, and certainly don't need anyone to point that out. They need to know that they are respected for who they are.

As a Canadian, I appreciate more when people from the US know a little about my country. It's annoying think that what makes Canada unique could be so easily swept aside, and that my being irritated would be seen as petty or closed minded.

I believe it - I've met some. I'm talking in generalities and I know there are those that confirms the stereotypes.

As I said before, I'm not far from the border and you guys are fairly common here.

"you americans all look alike to us".  said by a Canadian friend  ;)

Not all Americans are asses.  I promise.

I will assume not all aussies are either.

I've been on a number of UK news sites, and do read comments.  the number of times Europeans (including brits) who comment do NOT differentiate between the US and Canada ('cause they think it's the same) has been surprising.  something happens in Canada - and they take opportunity to insult americans and lump them all together.  I wonder how much of that attitude rubs off?

See, this is where attitudes and ways of thinking are unique and rather interesting. You seem to see differences are negative, whereas I see them as positive.

No, I don't see them as negative at all.  The point is that an ideal in our culture is to not define a person's basic worth or personality based on the things about them that are different.  We believe that individual people are not *fundamentally* different in ways that matter, simply by virtue of their origin.

If you are not used to hearing this all the time, it may not be coming across clearly.

We certainly have our share of diversity in the USA, both indigenous and via immigration.  We overtly celebrate diversity all the time.  We find it interesting and we find we can learn from one another.  But we still feel that fundamentally, my color or national origin or citizenship does not make me better or worse than someone else.

History shows us how easy it is for insecure people to accentuate the negative aspects of "otherness."  It is unfortunate.

As a Canadian, I appreciate more when people from the US know a little about my country. It's annoying think that what makes Canada unique could be so easily swept aside, and that my being irritated would be seen as petty or closed minded.

I do know more than a little about Canada, I just assumed you all know it too, so why would I talk about it?

Nothing anyone said in this thread suggested that Canada is not a distinct country.

And yes, I'm sorry, I think it is petty to get irritated because somebody mentioned you're on the same continent and have a lot of shared history/heritage with us.

Oh, and if it makes you feel better, populations in the southern US border states have a lot in common with those in the northern part of Mexico.  Surely that doesn't mean I think Mexico is a US state (or that US is part of Mexico)?

Actually, laid-back Americans do travel. We just get mistaken for Canadians when abroad. (just kidding) (maybe not) (I was mistaken for being from Finland when I was in the Soviet Union.)

:laugh:   Dh and I were mistaken for Canadians when we were in Germany.

But we still feel that fundamentally, my color or national origin or citizenship does not make me better or worse than someone else.

I'd go farther than that and say that Americans are frequently encouraged to believe that the differences people have are all not so great. A common theme- "People are the same everywhere." An American teacher will show her class of little elementary students pictures and descriptions of some remote tree dwelling group of people in the Philippines who on the surface seem like they cannot live more differently than the average American child. The lesson will invariably conclude with some sort of wrap up that includes the idea they are really more like us than they are different and that we have a lot in common with them. If that kind of comparison can be made with the conclusion that we are very similar, then of course, with Canada, which is more similar on the surface, most Americans would say, "We are not that different." Emphasis on the word "that."

It's not that differences are not recognized or valued, but that the search for common ground and things we have in common is generally seen as something more socially acceptable to focus on. Maybe that comes across poorly to people from other cultures.

No, I don't see them as negative at all.  The point is that an ideal in our culture is to not define a person's basic worth or personality based on the things about them that are different.  We believe that individual people are not *fundamentally* different in ways that matter, simply by virtue of their origin.

If you are not used to hearing this all the time, it may not be coming across clearly.

We certainly have our share of diversity in the USA, both indigenous and via immigration.  We overtly celebrate diversity all the time.  We find it interesting and we find we can learn from one another.  But we still feel that fundamentally, my color or national origin or citizenship does not make me better or worse than someone else.

History shows us how easy it is for insecure people to accentuate the negative aspects of "otherness."  It is unfortunate.

we have much immigration from very different countries.  we don't have a "commonwealth" to draw an immigrant population as Canada does (e.g. india, hong kong, etc. they're different, but they are still commonwealth countries)  we have people coming from very very different countries.   for a long time we were constantly told that the "us is a melting pot" - meaning people come here different, but we are supposed to blend together, recognize our commonalities, and be one people.

:laugh:   Dh and I were mistaken for Canadians when we were in Germany.

my sil yelled at her dd for telling everyone she was an American when she was in Egypt when she could have passed as a german.

I'd go farther than that and say that Americans are frequently encouraged to believe that the differences people have are all not so great. A common theme- "People are the same everywhere." An American teacher will show her class of little elementary students pictures and descriptions of some remote tree dwelling group of people in the Philippines who on the surface seem like they cannot live more differently than the average American child. The lesson will invariably conclude with some sort of wrap up that includes the idea they are really more like us than they are different and that we have a lot in common with them. If that kind of comparison can be made with the conclusion that we are very similar, then of course, with Canada, which is more similar on the surface, most Americans would say, "We are not that different." Emphasis on the word "that."

It's not that differences are not recognized or valued, but that the search for common ground and things we have in common is generally seen as something more socially acceptable to focus on. Maybe that comes across poorly to people from other cultures.

I attended a presentation by a woman who did a doctors wives foreign service group.  they were taking supplies to Africa. (don't remember which country).  she had boys, and the boys in the village responded the same way to bubbles and balloons - and played in the dirt just like the boys back home in the US.

I attended a presentation by a woman who did a doctors wives foreign service group.  they were taking supplies to Africa. (don't remember which country).  she had boys, and the boys in the village responded the same way to bubbles and balloons - and played in the dirt just like the boys back home in the US.

I think that there is a confusion here between basic instincts - to play, for example - and culture.

L

we have much immigration from very different countries. we don't have a "commonwealth" to draw an immigrant population as Canada does (e.g. india, hong kong, etc. they're different, but they are still commonwealth countries) we have people coming from very very different countries.

Except that for much of the country this is not the case. Italian-, Polish-, Ukraine-, Hungarian-, Dutch-, Chinese-, and German- Canadians make up a substantial portion of the population.... not to mention French (and not just inside Quebec) and our original inhabitants, the First Nations peoples. And wrt immigration this is not a recent phenomenon, and sometimes the history is fascinating (see the Doukhobors).

ETA: And Canada has traditionally had a generous refugee policy, though I'm not up on recent changes to policy, so this may no longer be the case.

From Wikipedia's entry on Toronto, admittedly the epitome of diversity (Mayor Ford notwithstanding):

A majority of Torontonians claim their ethnic origin[3] as, either in whole or in part, from England (12.9%), China (12.0%), Canada (11.3%), Ireland (9.7%), Scotland (9.5%), India (7.6%), Italy (6.9%), the Philippines (5.5%), Germany (4.6%), France (4.5%), Poland (3.8%), Portugal (3.6%), and Jamaica (3.2%), or are of Jewish ethnic origin (3.1%). There is also a significant population of Ukrainians (2.5%), Russians (2.4%), Sri Lankans (2.3%), Spanish (2.2%), Greeks (2.2%), people from the British Isles in general (2.0%), Koreans (1.5%), Dutch (1.5%), Iranians (1.4%), Vietnamese (1.4%), Pakistanis (1.2%), Hungarians (1.2%), Guyanese (1.1%), and Welsh (1.0%). Communities of Afghans, Arabs, Barbadians, Bengalis, Bulgarians, Colombians, Croats, Ecuadorians, Grenadians, Macedonians, Mexicans, Romanians, Salvadorans, Serbs, Somalis, Tibetans, Trinidadians, and Vincentians are also to be found throughout the city. Neighbourhoods such as Chinatown, Corso Italia, Little India, Greektown, Koreatown, Little Jamaica, Little Portugal and Roncesvalles are examples of these large ethno-cultural populations

Edited for clarity.

What really intrigues me is why people in the US are called "Americans" by our North American neighbors.  Hmm.

This was the original comment that started this line of discussion. What is it that intrigues you about Canadians calling people from the US American? Most Americans call themselves American. So does everyone else in the world. 

Just out of curiosity, how do you refer to an African American, another very common term in the US? 

This was the original comment that started this line of discussion. What is it that intrigues you about Canadians calling people from the US American? Most Americans call themselves American. So does everyone else in the world.

I've never met a Canadian in denial, willful or otherwise, about being in North America. I have no idea where that idea came from in this thread. But "American" is used to refer to the States unless modified by the word North, by Americans and pretty much everyone else.

Just out of curiosity, how do you refer to an African American, another very common term in the US?

We refer to any black person who is not living in (and from) Africa as an African American, no mater where they are in the world, UK, France, doesn't matter :D

It's just good manners.

Bill

We refer to any black person who is not living in (and from) Africa as an Arfican American, no mater where they are in the world, UK, France, doesn't matter :D

It's just good manners.

Bill

We are all Americans. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Bill, can you whip us up a shirt?

This was the original comment that started this line of discussion. What is it that intrigues you about Canadians calling people from the US American? Most Americans call themselves American. So does everyone else in the world. 

Just that it is curious to me that Canadians haven't stepped up and said, you arrogant people aren't the only country in the Americas, you know!  I also think it's kinda dumb that it's used in the US to refer to our political entity.  I could see using it the way one uses "European," "Asian," "African."  Yes, "America" is common usage for "USA," but so are a lot of things that make no actual sense.

I refer to African Americans as people.  If I *must* differentiate in a cold forum like this, I will say AA (because that's what people consider politically correct nowadays) or I'll refer to "brown skin" if that is actually the point.  In person, I will defer to what the individual wants to be called.  Those I have worked closely with preferred "black."  I do not personally like the term "black" because nobody I have ever met has actual black skin, but if they prefer it, fine.  Mostly it is irrelevant to anything I say so I don't need a ready term for it.

We are all Americans. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Bill, can you whip us up a shirt?

I can design it, then take it down to the garment district and have it mass produced by workers from Sri Lanka, Korea, Mexico, India, Trinidad, Russia, Ukraine, China, India, Serbia, Phillipines....

Bill (who's starting to wonder if he's in Toronto :D)

We were once overseas in a restaurant where a British guy was getting all worked up at the waiter because he ordered a "Diet Coke" and got a "Cola Lite." The Americans there finally explained that they were the same thing. We have traveled heavily. Nobody thinks we are American until we tell them we are. It isn't because we are THAT savvy, IMO, it is because most Americans don't really match the stereotypes.

When I am walking around in Europe most people address me in German or French. My mom found this really strange. But I think it is because I lived in SW Germany for so long that I am comfortable and know how to get around. Plus, I don't look anything like what they think Americans look like.

Many Canadians don't fit the laid back stereotype. The most ambitious, manipulative, lying person I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with was Canadian. I have also been friends with completely delightful Canadians.

I find it strange that people don't realize how diverse the US is. I can't throw a rock from my house without hitting an authentic Thai, Filipino or Japanese restaurant. I am hard pressed to get decent Mexican here. There is a place within walking distance to my house called Just Tacos, but the family who runs it are Filipino. They put mozzarella cheese in everything. It isn't bad, but it is a little weird, lol.

Except that for much of the country this is not the case. Italian-, Polish-, Ukraine-, Hungarian-, Dutch-, Chinese-, and German- Canadians make up a substantial portion of the population.... not to mention French (and not just inside Quebec) and our original inhabitants, the First Nations peoples. And wrt immigration this is not a recent phenomenon, and sometimes the history is fascinating (see the Doukhobors).

ETA: And Canada has traditionally had a generous refugee policy, though I'm not up on recent changes to policy, so this may no longer be the case.

I hate to say this, but you are pointing out things Canada has in common with the US.  Similar, though different.

I think that there is a confusion here between basic instincts - to play, for example - and culture.

L

Then again, I've heard it argued that the US doesn't actually have a culture . . . .

We probably aren't talking up diners enough....

I hate to say this, but you are pointing out things Canada has in common with the US. Similar, though different.

You are the only one who seems to think the existence or denial of some similarities is what is at issue.

You are the only one who seems to think the existence or denial of some similarities is what is at issue.

OK, I must be misunderstanding, because I thought someone was offended that I said we had a lot in common instead of saying we are very different.

I find it strange that people don't realize how diverse the US is. I can't throw a rock from my house without hitting an authentic Thai, Filipino or Japanese restaurant. I am hard pressed to get decent Mexican here. There is a place within walking distance to my house called Just Tacos, but the family who runs it are Filipino. They put mozzarella cheese in everything. It isn't bad, but it is a little weird, lol.

Los Angeles, of course, has Mexican food that ranges from "total gringo, to semi-gringo, to semi-authentic, to authentic-ish NorteĂƒÂ±o style, to very authentic "regional" restaurants.

What's interesting is the hybrids that creep up. It is now "post-trendy" (but stil popular here) to eat off the roaming Kogi food trucks that serve Korean tacos. Which are basically like authentic Mexican style tacos with the addition of a slug of kimchi. Pretty good too.

Bill

OK, I must be misunderstanding, because I thought someone was offended that I said we had a lot in common instead of saying we are very different.

I get that this is your impression, and I don't think that it is going to change.

Just out of curiosity, what do Canadians call Canadians with African ancestry?

"My friend (insert name here)." Or "My brother-in-law" or "My lawyer" or whatever. There really aren't any reasons to give a group title in most normal conversations/topics.

If nessisary, I'd tend to say, "Black people." at least I think so -- but only if I really needed to convey that 'visual skin tone' information, for some relevant purpose.

Any large group of people have similarities and differences. Any two individual people will have similarities and differences.

The trouble comes in trying to determine someone else's identity for them. It will never end well. You shouldn't tell a Native American whether or not they should be offended by having football mascots named after them. Some of them find it offensive and some do not.

What you are doing is sort of like that. Some of the Canadians or Australians are doing the same thing to Americans. It doesn't work because no two Canadians or Americans or Australians are *exactly* the same, and they aren't going to feel exactly the same about the issue.

"My friend (insert name here)." Or "My brother-in-law" or "My lawyer" or whatever. There really aren't any reasons to give a group title in most normal conversations/topics.

If nessisary, I'd tend to say, "Black people." at least I think so -- but only if I really needed to convey that 'visual skin tone' information, for some relevant purpose.

Sometimes Jamaican-/Haitian- or Nigerian-Canadian etc. There's usually a pretty clear distinction between those of Caribbean Canadian and African Canadian descent (the latter two terms not ones I see used regularly). 

Wawa is more of a Pennsylvania thing that has taken hold in south Jersey.  They sell hoagies, soft pretzels, and really yummy mac & cheese (and tons of other stuff, too). Their drinks are good, too. I don't like their coffee (not strong enough for me, but I do like their specialty coffees that you have to order on the machines by the deli).

You can check out their menu here. Yummmm.....

Wawa is now moving into north Jersey. They have to re-label the hoagies, though.

Just that it is curious to me that Canadians haven't stepped up and said, you arrogant people aren't the only country in the Americas, you know!  I also think it's kinda dumb that it's used in the US to refer to our political entity.  I could see using it the way one uses "European," "Asian," "African."  Yes, "America" is common usage for "USA," but so are a lot of things that make no actual sense.

I refer to African Americans as people.  If I *must* differentiate in a cold forum like this, I will say AA (because that's what people consider politically correct nowadays) or I'll refer to "brown skin" if that is actually the point.  In person, I will defer to what the individual wants to be called.  Those I have worked closely with preferred "black."  I do not personally like the term "black" because nobody I have ever met has actual black skin, but if they prefer it, fine.  Mostly it is irrelevant to anything I say so I don't need a ready term for it.

At this point, I just want to be thought of as a Non-American. This conversation is reminding me of our Canadian one-dollar coin.

Just that it is curious to me that Canadians haven't stepped up and said, you arrogant people aren't the only country in the Americas, you know! I also think it's kinda dumb that it's used in the US to refer to our political entity. I could see using it the way one uses "European," "Asian," "African." Yes, "America" is common usage for "USA," but so are a lot of things that make no actual sense.

To be fair, I was worked up about that in grade 11. Then the irritation passed because I'm a laid back and easy going Canadian who really can't be bothered to get her knickers in a twist over what my neighbors to the south have chosen to call themselves. I think a lot of Canadians have that little stage and then they shrug their shoulders and get over it.

I'm not sure it's really comparable to your other examples though. We tend to use terms like European because there's just so gosh darn many little countries on that continent. There are only three great big ones in NA. No need for a collective title, especially when one of them is a cultural and political giant.

My mom swears my sister had a British accent when she was little.  LOL.

My kids put on a British accent when they want to sound intellectual.  Ha ha.  One time MIss E added (in the accent), "we were all British before the Revolution."  (Miss E was born in recent years from indigenous parents.  But whatever.  ;) )

Every female that I know irl loves a British accent. I, however, do not. In fact it makes me cringe. That's right, I said it...and now I'm hiding. :leaving:

Whew, I am glad there are no 'hate' buttons. :D

This article suits the discussion here well.  I was looking for a short summary about Canada's history with promoting diversity (mixed salad metaphor as opposed to the melting pot metaphor).

http://www.canadasworld.ca/learnmor/ninenewr/diversitym

The PDF has a LOT about the issue - worth a perusal.

And on the accent note - one of my kids sounded like they were from Boston for about a year.  It was adorable and totally out of nowhere.

Add forceful in pushing their ideas on the rest of the world as well and you might start to get an inkling into the reason that there is anti- US feelings in many places

No, it's not really perceived as a friendly gesture, because it's seen as once again the Americans want things their way and they are not listening to the people around them. You can be neighbours and friendly, but if you don't respect the individual as unique and their thoughts as valuable, and just want them to do things the way you want them, then it's not friendly.

The trouble with being American is that you cannot win. EVERYONE has an opinion about what you should do. If you listen to one group, the other hates you for not listening to them. If you do nothing, it's considered just as bad as doing something. "American should. . . . ." is something you can't help hearing and the blanks are always filled with contradictory information, often based upon the best interest of the speaker.

Every female that I know irl loves a British accent. I, however, do not. In fact it makes me cringe. That's right, I said it...and now I'm hiding. :leaving:

Whew, I am glad there are no 'hate' buttons. :D

Be careful! If you don't put All Things British on a pedestal people won't think you're very intelligent!

::only half ducking because the accent doesn't do it for me, but I do LOVE way too many BBC shows::

The trouble with being American is that you cannot win. EVERYONE has an opinion about what you should do. If you listen to one group, the other hates you for not listening to them. If you do nothing, it's considered just as bad as doing something. "American should. . . . ." is something you can't help hearing and the blanks are always filled with contradictory information, often based upon the best interest of the speaker.

Advice from a country that has been through this: lose your overwhelming worldwide influence, then wait about one hundred years.  At that point you might stop being always in the wrong.  A rueful sense of humour about your own status may develop in that century.  

In the mean time, that's just life as the world's most powerful nation.

L

Obviously, African USians.  Duh.   :)

On this whole Americans being everyone from North and South America.  Um, no.  Not in popular parlance anyways.  What a contrived and silly thing to argue about.  When referencing my nationality, people don't generally intend to reference my whole continent or my continent and the adjoining one to the south.  In North America, I'm from the only country with the word america in the nation's name and honestly Unitedian and Statesians don't really roll off the tongue or have the same descriptive power as American.  If people want to reference all people in this continent as a group they usually say North America/ns.  This is not hard to understand and it's really only here that I have ever heard someone older than 12 pontificate on this nomenclature not being fully accurate since two continents also have America in the name.  People tend to shorten to one word where possible so that knocks out "citizen of ABC country".  

This article suits the discussion here well. I was looking for a short summary about Canada's history with promoting diversity (mixed salad metaphor as opposed to the melting pot metaphor).

How many large American cities have you at least visited where the "majority" is a minority? San Antonio? LA? NYC? Honolulu? The US doesn't need to "promote" diversity. It is something that naturally happens.