Menu

No Food after Midnight

Jean in Newcastle

I don't know anything about your situation, but I would set an alarm.  When DD had her tonsils out, she also was clear liquids only starting at midnight, and nothing starting at 7am.  I woke her at 5am for a mug of chicken stock and again at 7 on the dot for a glass of Gatorade.   Knowing that dehydration is the main complication of tonsil surgery, I wanted to get as much in her as I could beforehand. 

I don't know anything about your situation, but I would set an alarm.  When DD had her tonsils out, she also was clear liquids only starting at midnight, and nothing starting at 7am.  I woke her at 5am for a mug of chicken stock and again at 7 on the dot for a glass of Gatorade.   Knowing that dehydration is the main complication of tonsil surgery, I wanted to get as much in her as I could beforehand. 

I'm glad that you said this, Monica!  I'm sipping my electrolyte solution and broth now!  (10 min. to go by the clock before I have to stop.)  Dehydration is a major problem for me.  

When DD13 had her surgery last year I REALLY discussed this with the Dr.  We had a plan worked out.  Talk to your Dr and the Anethesiologist-- the hours are guidlines for most people get the REAL numbers for food restrictions-- solid vs milk vs broth.

I also had them give DD an IV with glucose once we got to the hospital.