Menu

Amazon has a $60 off coupon for Kindles --

Guest dalia22

Well, add this type of reply to the mix:

So, I'm up to $40 from $20. Should I go ahead & buy one or try to email to get the full $60 one wonders?

A friend of mine sent an email this morning and got a reply offering 20 dollars off. So she sent another separate one later and got the 60.00 off. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why do I keep checking? I don't want a Kindle! I don't! Or do I? Maybe I do. UGH!!!! I guess I just really don't like being excluded. This offer is pretty powerful stuff, huh?

I was excited about my 40 dollar offer until I saw other people were getting 60 off, and I wasn't even planning to buy a Kindle. I haven't succumbed yet. ;)

This is what I got to my email:

Hello, 

I understand that you want to avail the $60 off on new Kindle purchase. 

As you were unable to use the link, I'd request you place the order for the Kindle and write back to us with the order number so that we can issue you a discount of $60 on your order. 

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested: 

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=fgvxtcre3639757264&q=o2r 

Hope this helps. Thank you for contacting Kindle.

I'm off to order a NICE hanukah present for someone...

Thanks to all you helpers!

i ordered the kindle fire! :)  it automatically deducted the $40 i was offered, so i paid $99 with free shipping.  i emailed them & asked them to credit my debit card back the other $20.  i honestly was not in the market to buy a kindle AT ALL, so without this promotion, i would not have even considered this.  it will be a perfect gift for my in-laws though. i can't believe i'm already done shopping for them!! yay!!! :hurray:

Have you all seen the new Nook Glowlight? Did it come out today? Is this what started the big Kindle giveaway? A review said that the new Nook is aimed at people who have never owned a reader. Often people continue to purchase the format of their first reader. Was Amazon going after potential new eReader customers before they bought a Nook Glowlight?

The Glowlight sure is pretty.

The competition just keeps getting more interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2013/10/30/new-nook-glowlight/3311367/

Amazon also made a move this week. It has just launched the Kindle MatchBook program that lets avid readers own both the print and Kindle editions of favorite books. If you bought a book from Amazon as far back as 18 years go, you can add that same title to your Kindle library as an eBook, for prices ranging from 99 cents to $2.99, and sometimes free. Amazon says more than 70,000 books have been enrolled in the program, with more titles coming.

Just adding that I sent off an e-mail and got the $60 off. I wasn't going to, but it was kind of getting to me after the probably $1000s I've spent at Amazon over the years. Now to decide who to gift it to for Christmas...

This ticks me off that some of you are successful and some aren't.  I have spent a lot at Amazon over the years and just placed an order yesterday.

eta:  Not ticked at any of you, but at Amazon.

I thought I was mad last week, felt like I was blown off. It has been a week from hell. Then to come back here and see that many more are getting the promotion. I have emailed again, if I don't get a satisfactory answer I will likely never put in another Amazon order. Done! Done ! Done!

My daughter and I sharing and account probably spent $8000 last year on Amazon, and I can't get a $60 coupon. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Rant over, I need a beer.

I thought I was mad last week, felt like I was blown off. It has been a week from hell. Then to come back here and see that many more are getting the promotion. I have emailed again, if I don't get a satisfactory answer I will likely never put in another Amazon order. Done! Done ! Done!

My daughter and I sharing and account probably spent $8000 last year on Amazon, and I can't get a $60 coupon. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Rant over, I need a beer.

Buy a glowlight and send them the receipt. :lol:

THANK them very much for NOT sending you a coupon, so that you didn't spend your money before you learned about the new glowlight.

My Kindle came today, but not without a story. It's pouring rain here. I had to drive 30 minutes in blinding rain for school. My passenger windshield wiper died on the way. Seriously, I don't mind driving in rain, and this was the worst downpour I've driven in a long time. The only reason I didn't stop was because I was headed home OUT of the storm. 

Eventually I outran the storm, knowing my kindle was "out for delivery" with the post office. My mail came, no Kindle. I had lovingly dried off the table I keep on my porch for packages. I thought maybe their bringing it by car as it's raining so hard now (our carrier walks and my porch is covered) and it would come later. I checked every 30 minutes or so, no Kindle. At 3:30 Amazon shows the package delivered, delivered at 11:47! Which I know it wasn't because I'm  here, checking online, checking my porch. So, I call my post office (they were great). He calls me back and says the carrier thought he left it in the mailbox. By this point I'm thinking my almost free Kindle has been swiped by a bad post office person. I tell the guy this is an expensive item, not a book, please find it. I'm thinking this is just great, I've had a lousy year, I just wanted a good deal on a Kindle and I can't even get it! 

Ten minutes later there is a knock at the door as my dog tries to be a cliche and barks loudly at the mailman through the door. My package was accidentally delivered down the street as it was banded with a few other packages. Thankfully that person was home and honest! Sometimes it's nice to live in a small town. So my Kindle is here, but it almost wasn't.  :lol:

A friend of mine sent an email this morning and got a reply offering 20 dollars off. So she sent another separate one later and got the 60.00 off. 

Second email sent & replied to. Didn't get anything more (but they didn't take away the extra $20 -- and it was a credit I could use on anything). It was worth a try.

A new update from me. I emailed a second time.

Hello,

I understand you're concerned about the Special Kindle Offer for select customers.

We occasionally offer promotional certificates to potential customers or to select existing customers, to encourage them to shop at Amazon.com. These customers will be given a discount on any brand-new Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 2nd Generation, Kindle Fire HD, or Kindle Fire HDX model.

However, in appreciation of your valuable business, please place your order for any of the items listed above and write us back with the order number so we can apply the $60 discount.

Please make sure that the item is either ?Sold or Shipped by Amazon.com" or labeled as "Fulfilled by Amazon.com" as we can't apply discounts on merchant orders.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

link removed

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Reman E.

I got an email this morning confirming they will credit me the other $20 (I was offered $40 off).

For those of you that did not get the promotion or emailed previously and were declined, contact them again! They were prompt to reply to me & I think their default response now is the same to everyone.

The sale ends today.

Buy a glowlight and send them the receipt. :lol:

THANK them very much for NOT sending you a coupon, so that you didn't spend your money before you learned about the new glowlight.

In my 3rd email, I did mention how tempting that Glowlight was looking. We'll see what happens. This may be the end of my loyalty to Amazon. Very disappointing.

This is the reply I got from my 2nd e-mail:

Hello, 

First allow me to apologize, we're working hard to provide a stress-free and convenient shopping experience at Amazon.com. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in this case. 

I'm so sorry, but we can't offer any promotion in this issue. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We respect your opinions and value your feedback. 

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and hope to see you again soon.

They obviously are not giving the best deals to people who already bought several kindles. Why would they? Clearly WE are willing to pay full price. > :(

I don't believe in random. I think they are just trying to bring in new kindle users--and to hell with the rest of us.

I kind of think we're being unfair to amazon. They have a right to market to whomever they like. Sure it would be nice for them to send a great coupon to their loyal customers but they were most likely targeting potentially new customers which is what any good business does. I think it's amazing that they're even giving the discount to any of us who emailed them. But they don't have to and for me it's not worth boycotting amazon for just growing their business.

I kind of think we're being unfair to amazon. They have a right to market to whomever they like. Sure it would be nice for them to send a great coupon to their loyal customers but they were most likely targeting potentially new customers which is what any good business does. I think it's amazing that they're even giving the discount to any of us who emailed them. But they don't have to and for me it's not worth boycotting amazon for just growing their business.

I agree to a point. And that point came for me when they did not even reply to my "no, this did not solve my problem" e-mail. I have had mixed feelings about this since the whole fiasco began. In fact, it is why I did not even ask for the promotion in my first e-mail. I simply asked them what the criteria was for the promotion and got a pat on the head in my answer. My second e-mail was to express to them that I did not appreciate being patted on the head, and that I knew they were being inundated with e-mails but that a little transparency could have avoided the problem. I asked again what the criteria for selection was and still did not get an answer. I got $60 off a Kindle but still no answer. That was their choice.

There are all kinds of promotions on Amazon every single day, constant promotions there. You click a link and they outline the eligibility criteria (in excruciating detail) so it is crystal clear who is eligible and why. Their hush-hush, mysterious way of offering this promotion to a select few was just plain dumb. And now it is getting expensive for them. They bear the lion's share of responsibility for that by leaving customers confused instead of informed.

I sincerely doubt they care how I feel about them as long as I keep placing orders.

Of course it's "good business". I don't plan to boycott amazon, but I will point out the fact that *because* we are good customers is the very reason we are not getting the promotion. Some people seemed baffled by that.

They know I will spend my money anyway, so have no incentive to send me a coupon. So they don't. End of story.

I can be a little cranky about that if I want to. ;-)

It's the same business model followed by many companies nowadays.  Who do DirecTV and Time Warner give good deals to?  First time customers.  Not those who have been loyal customers for years.  Sign up for a credit card?  You get a great introductory rate.  Been with the credit card company for years and always paid your bills on time?  Not so great rate.  Loyalty is rarely rewarded any more.

They also aren't offering the deal to those who use kindle readers on other devices, even though I get "sell your iPad for credit" every time I go on their site. I'd probably buy a kindle for DD8 even with a $20 off offer, and certainly with a $60 off one-but apparently I'm not "worthy", even though I buy a lot of books from them, both print and e-books.

It's the same business model followed by many companies nowadays.  Who do DirecTV and Time Warner give good deals to?  First time customers.  Not those who have been loyal customers for years.  Sign up for a credit card?  You get a great introductory rate.  Been with the credit card company for years and always paid your bills on time?  Not so great rate.  Loyalty is rarely rewarded any more.

I agree, but those companies put in their offers that the deals are for first time customers. In this case Amazon should have included that the deal was for first time Kindle users, but they did not include this bit of information. If they had done that one little think I am sure they'd have a lot less cranky customers right now.

They also aren't offering the deal to those who use kindle readers on other devices, even though I get "sell your iPad for credit" every time I go on their site. I'd probably buy a kindle for DD8 even with a $20 off offer, and certainly with a $60 off one-but apparently I'm not "worthy", even though I buy a lot of books from them, both print and e-books.

Yes, I noticed this as well. I have an iPad with the Kindle reader, and I have one of the very basic Kindles, and I frequently use amazon for both of them. I buy some print and e-books from them, and I'm a little surprised that I didn't get a promotional coupon; I would have thought they would have wanted to encourage me to switch to a Kindle for all of my e-reading, or upgrade my basic Kindle to a Kindle Fire. I *have* been looking into a second tablet for the kids to use, and being offered a $60 off coupon *would* have tipped me into buying a Fire instead of holding out for something else. Maybe I should send them a message and tell them that.

I don't like the secretive way of determining who is eligible either. If it were an offer for people who didn't own any Kindle products at all, or one for the basic Kindle owners, or whatever, I have no problem with that, but they should state the clear criteria.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Sure there's a reason to be irritated and its certainly your right to be upset. I just don't think amazon is a villain here. They could have been more forthcoming with criteria I suppose. I still don't fault then for trying to entice new customers to buy their product. I was simply standing up for them because 1. I'm a business owner and marketing for us is critical. Do we ever make mistakes? Sure. But we try to provide the best customer service we can, always. I think everyone makes mistakes, we don't need to insist that they pay for those mistakes. And, 2. I think amazon has an excellent record of good customer service. At least for me. One time the UPS man, instead of dropping my package off on my doorstep at our apartment complex, left my package with the upstairs neighbor. My neighbor was a moron and dropped it of on my doorstep. The package disappeared. I called UPS who said it was out of their hands. I called amazon and they just resent the entire contents of the package with no questions asked. That is good customer service and also a reward for being a loyal customer. Anywho I'm not condemning anyone. Just wanted to say I still think amazon does a great job.

Right. Cell phone companies are really good examples of this too. I did not get nearly so great a deal as the ones being offered now. Even when I (finally) went to replace my phone, it seems I missed some magic window for getting a good deal on a replacement.

Also? Every time we add a phone or buy a new one we get to sign a new 2 year contract. No breaks for someone who's been a customer for nearly a freakin' decade. If we weren't so rural with so few good options, I'd switch. Considering it anyway.

I agree, but those companies put in their offers that the deals are for first time customers. In this case Amazon should have included that the deal was for first time Kindle users, but they did not include this bit of information. If they had done that one little think I am sure they'd have a lot less cranky customers right now.

And it's not even for first time customers. It seems completely random. Some Prime customers who have kindles and buy lots of books are getting the offers. Some non-prime members who never bought a kindle or have the app got the offer. People in the middle of the 2 extremes have received the offer.

I'm annoyed because on top of all that, I had just spoken with them about my kindle problem. They said they felt so bad and could had a policy to offer special pricing for people buying replacement kindles because they feel bad/want to make sure I know they care, blah, blah...Obviously they don't really care.

I have a nexus, nook with an Sd card, and an iphone and they all have the kindle app. I received the discount, so I don't think that has anything to do with it?

Just for kicks and giggles, I looked at the new Glowlight at B&N. It does NOT Have a card slot and only a small portion if the hard drive can be used for sideloaded books. So if you want to load a bunch of Yesterday's Classics and Heritage History books in it, you are out of luck. It's designed to hold just mostly B&N purchased books.

All of these companies just drive me nuts with their games.

I have a nexus, nook with an Sd card, and an iphone and they all have the kindle app. I received the discount, so I don't think that has anything to do with it?

I have a Nexus, kindle app on phone, laptop and nexus, downloaded free Kindle books (never paid for one), and I got the offer too. My purchases have skirted around the Kindle for many years, but never quite bought one. 

I am now curious what the criteria was, because random just doesn't cut it as an explanation. 

I agree that businesses have a right to target their marketing, but I think it's a bad idea to exclude your best customers from your best promotions if you want them to continue to be your best customers. I have been a customer of a certain satellite company for a very long time, and when I make changes, I demand to be treated as well as new customers, or I ask to have my service disconnected. This is usually when I am transferred to the person who can offer me the same deals as the new customers.

I just got another e-mail from Amazon (without any inquiry from me) that they reviewed their prior responses to me and decided to give the the $60 off a Kindle refund.  Yeah!  That made my day.  It's rare to find someone rethink something on their own.  So, even though I agree with some posters that Amazon has the right to give a discount to whomever they wish, I am glad I am now in that group.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Sure there's a reason to be irritated and its certainly your right to be upset. I just don't think amazon is a villain here. They could have been more forthcoming with criteria I suppose. I still don't fault then for trying to entice new customers to buy their product. I was simply standing up for them because 1. I'm a business owner and marketing for us is critical. Do we ever make mistakes? Sure. But we try to provide the best customer service we can, always. I think everyone makes mistakes, we don't need to insist that they pay for those mistakes. And, 2. I think amazon has an excellent record of good customer service. At least for me. One time the UPS man, instead of dropping my package off on my doorstep at our apartment complex, left my package with the upstairs neighbor. My neighbor was a moron and dropped it of on my doorstep. The package disappeared. I called UPS who said it was out of their hands. I called amazon and they just resent the entire contents of the package with no questions asked. That is good customer service and also a reward for being a loyal customer. Anywho I'm not condemning anyone. Just wanted to say I still think amazon does a great job.

I agree that Amazon usually has exceptional customer service. That is one of the major reasons I have been such a loyal customer for more than a decade. Of course every company makes mistakes. But in my opinion they bear all of the responsibility for losses after their refusal to acknowledge their initial mistake of not defining eligibility in their usual way. When the e-mails started coming, instead of saying wait a few days and see if the system selects you, they should have said we regret not making the eligibility criteria clear, and here it is: blah, blah, blah.

In other words, they made one mistake (no problem, it happens) and then compounded that mistake by not addressing the real problem but by playing games of chicken about who they thought they could pacify with a discount and who got a no. They would not have needed to give out these discounts when the e-mails started rolling in if they had just clarified eligibility criteria, but now they are darned if they do and darned if they don't because they have given them out to so many squeaky wheels that it is just adding momentum to the loss.

Anyway, they could have stopped (or at least slowed) the influx of complaints and significant financial loss merely by responding to the first complaints clarifying how customers were selected instead of pretending it was some kind of random selection process by their system. I mean just oy.

Just for kicks and giggles, I looked at the new Glowlight at B&N. It does NOT Have a card slot and only a small portion if the hard drive can be used for sideloaded books. So if you want to load a bunch of Yesterday's Classics and Heritage History books in it, you are out of luck. It's designed to hold just mostly B&N purchased books.

All of these companies just drive me nuts with their games.

I have yet to see an e-reader with a card slot. Am I missing something? I've not even seen this on a tablet--and I've looked.

My NOOK color has a slot for a micro SD card. I also have the whole Yesterday's Classics set on my NOOK color.

The micro ones I've seen. I think it would be nice to find one that took the full size SD slot. Even a bigger tablet never has one.

But thanks, that's good to know.

The competition just keeps getting more interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2013/10/30/new-nook-glowlight/3311367/

Amazon also made a move this week. It has just launched the Kindle MatchBook program that lets avid readers own both the print and Kindle editions of favorite books. If you bought a book from Amazon as far back as 18 years go, you can add that same title to your Kindle library as an eBook, for prices ranging from 99 cents to $2.99, and sometimes free. Amazon says more than 70,000 books have been enrolled in the program, with more titles coming.

Yeah, out of those 70,000+ MatchBooks, I am eligible for...

ONE.

You people are really bad for my budget!

I got sucked in, sent a nice email, got a nice reply, was GOING to buy the cheapest kindle, but then - hey, for $20 more, no ads... but then you all were singing the praises of paperwhite, so I had to check it out...

SO bad!  No thank you! ;)