Menu

Camping in cold temps - what does a child need?

AimeeM

Red has a campus camp out at school on Friday night. This isn't the first camp out she's had there (the school loves them - they've already had several), but this is the first one in cold weather. It's going to get down to about 30 at its lowest, overnight. I know that isn't super cold to some, but... we're suburban lovers of electricity, central heat and air, indoor toilets, etc. We are NOT campers.

So, the school has a tent for her, and we do have a sub-zero sleeping bag for her. What else does she need to stay toasty in a tent at that temp? Would I be going overboard if I bought her long-johns and thermal socks... a nice warm hat too? Should she take an extra blanket? I shouldn't pack too much that isn't necessary, because she also needs to bring her own wheat-free alternatives (crackers for smores, her own pizza since they are ordering in for the boys, etc).

Don't make fun, lol. I've never slept outside at that temp and I have no clue how to make sure she stays warm.

Just know that most of those sleeping bags are rated for "don't freeze to death" and not for actual warmth.    websites for cold weather camping will also recommend a wool hat and wool socks to wear to bed, and possibly gloves as well.

Raising herself off the ground will also keep her warmer (a sleeping pad of some sort.)

There are also sleepingbag liners you can buy that will bring the temp up about 10 degrees.  We have some of those.  They are fleece.

my son did a cold weather camping weekend last year.  the hand and foot warmer packs are a must!  His scout leader gave him some that are reusable(boil in water to reset), but even the disposable ones will be fine.  Slip into socks and gloves to keep toes and fingers warm.  

Warm hat!  I bought my son a waterproof/windproof fleece hat last year on clearance...wish I bought one for myself.

Obviously the more layers the better. 

Agreeing with Dawn--a hat and gloves are essential. Good coat (that you don't mind getting smoky and possibly muddy), warm pants, good socks, sturdy shoes or sneakers, socks to wear to bed if she wants (my dd gets hot feet, but me? socks all the way!). If she has an air mattress, remember they can suck the heat out of you and leave you feeling colder, which challenges the sleeping bag to keep you warm. 

I think some of those chemical handwarmers are quite nice to have along. 

Okay, I have a nap mat - can I put that under her bag?

Do they sell the feet and hand warmers at a place like Academy Sports?

Someone else just told me that at 30 degrees, it's about staying alive, not being comfortable. Now I think I want to cry. They do this every year, so I know they know what they're doing... but she isn't an outdoorsy kind of gal. I think I'll shoot her headmaster a letter stating that if he notices she isn't keeping her warm thermals on, to call me and I'm coming to pick her up.

If you're not going to be camping as a family, I wouldn't buy too much.  Since I don't like to be cold either, I would send the thermal socks, long johns, and a hat that she could use any time.  Disposable hand warmers are cheap and easy to pack.  I would also add an extra blanket, but I'm known for over packing.

A couple of years ago, we went camping in Arkansas.  The mornings were so cold (for us Texans) that after I got a small fire started, I sat in the car with the heater on.  

A warm hat, fleece or even wool, fresh warm socks to put on at bedtime, a coat or robe and outdoor friendly slippers, and warm 2 piece pj's or long johns. You don't want her to freeze just to go to the loo first thing in the morning. At a minimum, an emergency blanket, but better yet a foam mat under the sleeping bag. A cot is probably overboard for just 1 night.

I camp in February with my kids most years for a week long event. We usually at least get up off the ground on cots, and I set up a camp potty in the tent for nighttime use, but for just 1 night, that's definitely excessive.

So, the school has a tent for her, and we do have a sub-zero sleeping bag for her. What else does she need to stay toasty in a tent at that temp? Would I be going overboard if I bought her long-johns and thermal socks... a nice warm hat too? Should she take an extra blanket? I 

Long johns, socks and hat - yes.  Gloves, too.  And something warm but not constricting to sleep in, like sweatpants.

Blanket - no -- it won't really do anything more than a good sleeping bag.

As a kid I did winter camping and had a ground sheet, like a lightweight tarp, that was silver on one side to reflect heat. THIS looks very similar, although it's now called a "sportsman blanket."  What you don't want to do is wrap that around a sleeping bag lest you want to be soaked through with sweat by morning.  You could use a thinner space blanket thingie, except it will crinkle with every movement, and will likely rip.

A warm hat, fleece or even wool, fresh warm socks to put on at bedtime, a coat or robe and outdoor friendly slippers, and warm 2 piece pj's or long johns. You don't want her to freeze just to go to the loo first thing in the morning. At a minimum, an emergency blanket, but better yet a foam mat under the sleeping bag. A cot is probably overboard for just 1 night.

I camp in February with my kids most years for a week long event. We usually at least get up off the ground on cots, and I set up a camp potty in the tent for nighttime use, but for just 1 night, that's definitely excessive.

I'm probably over thinking this. The school is actually a house (an old renovated mansion) and the children can access it for the potty and he's told Red before that if ever she needs to on a camp out, she can sleep in the house (she has nobody to share a tent with). I know her - she WON'T admit defeat though, lol.

Okay, I have a nap mat - can I put that under her bag?

Do they sell the feet and hand warmers at a place like Academy Sports?

Someone else just told me that at 30 degrees, it's about staying alive, not being comfortable. Now I think I want to cry. They do this every year, so I know they know what they're doing... but she isn't an outdoorsy kind of gal. I think I'll shoot her headmaster a letter stating that if he notices she isn't keeping her warm thermals on, to call me and I'm coming to pick her up.

We camp in the mountains, so in the late summer it gets near freezing at night.  My kids use a closed-cell foam pad under their bags, and they have fleece blankets inside their bags to wrap around themselves for extra warmth.  Blankets are great to help keep the heat inside the bag if you don't have a mummy style bag or one that can be closed up around the shoulders.  I'm not sure what a nap mat is, but if it's a thick blanket, it will help.  You don't want the sleeping bag to be directly on the ground or on the tent floor -- some insulation underneath really helps.

Our family camps frequently in all weather.

There are a couple basics  that will significantly help the cold factor.

--Sleep mat: Make sure you daughter has a layer of insulation between her and the ground. Camping stores and stores like Walmart or Target sell foam sleep mats that are less expensive and that get the job done. You can get one for as little as ten bucks in some places. They last forever, so it's a good buy.

--Bedding: Layers are the way to go. She should have a pair of thick socks ONLY to be worn in the sleeping bag. She should not wear the same socks that she has worn all day because they will be moist from wearing, and she will wake up with cold feet. She should also wear sweats or long johns to bed, as well as mittens and a hat. You would be surprised at how helpful the hat is, in particular. Finally, she should also have, inside the sleeping bag, a warm layer like a fleece blanket. Having the thin but warm layer inside the sleeping bag is wonderfully effective.

--For outside, again, layers are the way to go. She should wear long underwear and several layers on top. Also thin gloves inside of good mittens is a great combination. A hat goes without saying. She should wear wool socks if possible, and often I like to wear two pair. Finally, the one layer that most people feel silly wearing but is by far the most effective for long term warmth is a wind-proof layer. He coat will work for her upper body, but she should seriously consider wearing a pair of light, wind-proof pants over her jeans, even if she also has on long johns under her jeans. I am not exaggerating when I say the windproof layer is the most effective way to stay warm outdoors--it's remarkable what a difference it will make.

Long johns (bottom and top), thermal socks and a warm hoodie with a drawstring would be best for sleeping.

An extra blanket is useless because it just slides all over the place and you have to "mind it" all night long. If you worry about the sleeping bag, get a better one or a 2nd one to zip around it.

What has she got to insulate her from ground cold? Cots, fluff-mattresses and inflatables are chilly. Firm foam is warm. Blankets, especially dense ones are warm.

Will she be the only warm body in the tent? Is it a fairly small tent?

Hat and mitts for bring outside in the daytime. Warm docks for sleeping should not be the same pair as her daytime pair.

Generally, she will be nose-cold and maybe have stiff muscles in the morning, but, no, it's not at all a survival issue!

Remind her to eat well before bed. Her system will burn calories to keep warm.

My preferences: Thermal underwear in fleece, wool, silk or poly - not cotton under fleece pants, warm shirt and fleece pullover. Need hat that is comfy to sleep in and mittens maybe helpful or gloves too. I would add a fleece blanket, lightweight, in sleeping bag but i hate the slippery feel of sleeping bags.

A pad under the sleeping bag will help some.

Avoid cottons because they are cold when they get wet, including from sweat too. I prefer fleece usually and like layering. Warm socks major plus.

If it is really cold at night, i love the tip of how to lightly place your blanket over your nose and mouth. This gives you warmer air to breathe when trying to sleep and still plenty fresh air. Might be too much for a kid to care about but it makes a big difference to me.

I find hand warmers just make me colder and they would be a novelty too.

And tell her to not melt her shoes putting them too close to the fire trying to get warm. :) hope she has fun.

Our family camps frequently in all weather.

There are a couple basics  that will significantly help the cold factor.

--Sleep mat: Make sure you daughter has a layer of insulation between her and the ground. Camping stores and stores like Walmart or Target sell foam sleep mats that are less expensive and that get the job done. You can get one for as little as ten bucks in some places. They last forever, so it's a good buy.

--Bedding: Layers are the way to go. She should have a pair of thick socks ONLY to be worn in the sleeping bag. She should not wear the same socks that she has worn all day because they will be moist from wearing, and she will wake up with cold feet. She should also wear sweats or long johns to bed, as well as mittens and a hat. You would be surprised at how helpful the hat is, in particular. Finally, she should also have, inside the sleeping bag, a warm layer like a fleece blanket. Having the thin but warm layer inside the sleeping bag is wonderfully effective.

--For outside, again, layers are the way to go. She should wear long underwear and several layers on top. Also thin gloves inside of good mittens is a great combination. A hat goes without saying. She should wear wool socks if possible, and often I like to wear two pair. Finally, the one layer that most people feel silly wearing but is by far the most effective for long term warmth is a wind-proof layer. He coat will work for her upper body, but she should seriously consider wearing a pair of light, wind-proof pants over her jeans, even if she also has on long johns under her jeans. I am not exaggerating when I say the windproof layer is the most effective way to stay warm outdoors--it's remarkable what a difference it will make.

AMDG

We love camping in all weather EXCEPT the dread heat of summer!  We also camp e.v.e.r.y Thanksgiving week and sometimes that is nice and warm here and sometimes it bitterly cold and sometimes in between.

I agree with everything above but the only thing I would add is that we sleep with our clothes in the sleeping bag with us (so it's warmer to dress in the mornign) and we take two pair of long johns b/c, invariably, something gets at least damp from wading, playing, cooking/cleaning, et c.  For a single over night, though, I doubt if it's that big a deal but if you want to stack the deck in favor of success, it might help to send some extras.   

Also, I'd send my cell phone so she could call if she got scared in the middle of the night but didn't want to give up.  She could call if needed but just knowing she could might help enough to get through a rough patch.

And one more thing, a book of jokes or, if she is the super brave type, a book of (kid friendly) scary stories.  Camping itself will be fun and exciting but the one with something to do around the campfire will be a special draw if they don't already have something planned.  Songs are super fun but only if everyone knows them.

On our camping trip earlier this year it was pretty cold, but not below freezing. We had a air mattress but it deflated (its old), so we ended up on the ground. We had a blanket underneath, sleeping inside a sleeping bag, and a blanket on top. I really recommend the blanket on top, because it saved my poor nose so many times :P I normally can't breathe with a blanket on my head, but that's how I slept for 8 days :). I also can't stand sleeping with socks on, but I happily did that for 8 days too :P Because it is going to be below freezing, I would also go with the other suggestions of long johns, socks, gloves, and a hat.

Side note: my husband didn't believe me about it being so cold, but I made sure we packed super warm. I told him it was better safe than sorry. That man was so grateful to me that night :P So yeah, better safe than sorry! I hope she has a great time!

Thanks guys!

So, my shopping list:

Warm socks (she's allergic to wool - do they have others?)

Long Johns

a hoodie (she doesn't have any

gloves

Pack from home:

flashlight

sleeping bag

mat

fleece blanket for inside bag

pillow

cell phone (she has her own)

Wheat-free goodies and food

A book to read by flashlight if she gets scared

Missing anything?

And no, there will be no other warm bodies in the tent. She's the only girl, so she's in a solo tent.

Solo in a tent is cold, especially if it's not a backpacking tent. Most people buy tall tents with big vents for camping, but people who backpack a lot buy a tent that is low to the ground with more options for zipping the vents shut. The shorter and smaller her tent, the better. If the tent can be covered with a fly, that's better too, especially if the fly extends almost to the ground.

The reason it's cold in a tent solo is that you cannot share body heat.

As such, I would recommend everything I already said, plus consider giving her two sleeping bags. When my dd has gone open-air camping with friends (just overnight on the beach at family camp) she zips two sleeping bags together.

Tell her absolutely not food in the tent, at all, ever, for any reason. She does NOT want a midnight racoon visit! :)

She MUST have a proper pad for under her bag. It is essential for the sleeping bag to provide warmth as rated. A cheap foam one is fine, or a thermarest is comfier, but so long as she has at least a foam one, she won't freeze. Yes, send long johns, warm fuzzy socks, gloves, and a hat.

(And, yes, a bag rated to "20" means you won't die if it's 20, but you will be COLD unless you also have a good layer of long johns, socks, and a thin hat!)

Advise her to put the "warmsies" on under her clothes before it gets dark, then when she goes to bed, she can strip off the dirty outer layer and be in her warmsies, or, of course, as most dirty grubby kids like mine do, she can sleep in all her layers. (ick)

Target has a "C9" line of long johns by Champion that is cheap but good quality. Their c9 fleece is also good for these purposes.

Personally, I'd also send fleece pants and top to layer on top of the long johns for sleeping -- especially if your kid is skinny.

I'd also tuck 4 instant-hot handwarmer things in her bag, telling her how to use them, and tell her to reserve them for overnight use or "emergency". They can make a big difference for a kid with a chill. 

If they are "car camping" and are allowed to bring lots of stuff, I'd also tuck a nap-sized fleece blanket in her gear. She can layer it inside her bag up around her shoulders/neck/chest for extra comfort or even wrap it around her inside the bag if it is super chilly.

Do NOT let her go without an insulating mat for under her sleeping bag!

DD's AHG troop goes snow camping here. They've built quinzies and slept in them. The extras they pack are: mat for under sleeping bad, SYNTHETIC (prefered0  long johns NOT cotton (Wool/synthetic blend okay)  hat, extra hat, gloves,  warm socks in wool or wool blend. NO cotton. - if it gets wet, it looses ability to insulate.

Remember to pack so she can layer. DD has a really pretty green t-shirt -it feels soft as butter, but is entirely wool, from a camping store. She wears that under a long sleeve synthetic shirt. Over that, a polar fleece jacket. Then depending on the temp and condition, a rain jacket ( to cut wind or repel rain) OR a winter coat.  

We camped in cold weather last year in our non-heated pop up camper. We were already off the ground, so we didn't have to worry about that. But I dressed myself and my three girls (then ages 8, 5, and 1) in long johns with socks and a footed blanket sleeper on top of that. Then we slept in winter hats too. And we were bundled into sleeping bags with a blanket thrown over the top of us. And the four of us slept in a bed together, so that helped too. It's amazing how well sleeping bags keep the cold out.

Thanks guys!

So, my shopping list:

Warm socks (she's allergic to wool - do they have others?)

Long Johns

a hoodie (she doesn't have any

gloves

Pack from home:

flashlight

sleeping bag

mat

fleece blanket for inside bag

pillow

cell phone (she has her own)

Wheat-free goodies and food

A book to read by flashlight if she gets scared

Missing anything?

And no, there will be no other warm bodies in the tent. She's the only girl, so she's in a solo tent.

ETA: Oops you had "mat" on the list, but I missed it. Original (but now perhaps irrelevant :D) post follows:

Yes. Others have said it, but the biggest thing that will make a difference is an insulating layer (between sleeping bag and the ground). A simple closed cell backpacking pad is fine. Rent one if need be. 30 is not very cold and any decent bag should keep one warm *if* you have an insulation layer.

Bill

Skimmed all the replies so forgive me if this is a repeat. I learned this the very hard way ( :banghead: )

It may be tempting to seal up the tent as much as possible with the idea of keeping as much body warmth inside as you can. Do not do this!!! Condensation from people's breath will build up inside the tent and will dampen everything, either through humidity in the air or through actual dripping from the walls/ceiling onto the sleeping bags. This will cause everything to be wet and retain much less heat. She will actually be warmer by venting the tent very well, sleeping in a good bag, and especially putting padding down to insulate from the ground.

Along the same lines, do not make her wear really warm clothes in the bag, especially cotton. They will get damp and she will be freezing, if not during the night, when she wakes up and gets out of the bag.

People get can hypothermia from damp clothes even in nice temps. Staying dry is super important.

Damp (wet) cotton is the killer (literally) in cold weather. A person wearing wet cotton will be colder than a person who is naked. Sounds strange, but it is true. Where a person wearing damp wool (or synthetic) will still be warmer than wearing nothing. I love wearing cotton, but it is no good for mountaineering.

Bill

Skimmed all the replies so forgive me if this is a repeat. I learned this the very hard way ( :banghead: )

It may be tempting to seal up the tent as much as possible with the idea of keeping as much body warmth inside as you can. Do not do this!!! Condensation from people's breath will build up inside the tent and will dampen everything, either through humidity in the air or through actual dripping from the walls/ceiling onto the sleeping bags. This will cause everything to be wet and retain much less heat. She will actually be warmer by venting the tent very well, sleeping in a good bag, and especially putting padding down to insulate from the ground.

Along the same lines, do not make her wear really warm clothes in the bag, especially cotton. They will get damp and she will be freezing, if not during the night, when she wakes up and gets out of the bag.

People get can hypothermia from damp clothes even in nice temps. Staying dry is super important.

Yes, I should have specified in my post that some ventilation is necessary. However, most non-backpacking tents offer far more ventilation than is needed resulting in a colder tent.

Is there a reason that kids in sleeping bags can't be in the same tent? That seems odd to me, to split by gender for no real reason.

They are preteens/teens. There is no way I would be comfortable with them sharing tents... and no way the school would open themselves up to potential legal issues, I imagine.

I can't imagine allowing her to sleep with boys at her age. If she were 6 or 7, sure. Lol.

They are preteens/teens. There is no way I would be comfortable with them sharing tents... and no way the school would open themselves up to potential legal issues, I imagine.

I can't imagine allowing her to sleep with boys at her age. If she were 6 or 7, sure. Lol.

Interesting. We never did any gender splitting for camping in all my years growing up -- except when there were naturally balanced groups. I wonder if other parents were scandalized when they learned. Honestly, once a family knows how to accommodate un/dressing for brothers and sisters, I can't imagine what kind of issues could arise.

What I mean is that I'd be far more upset about a daughter if mine being excluded, segregated and subject to colder more uncomfortable conditions based on her gender. That's something that would bug me. Having one big tent for the whole group of campers? Not even a blip on my radar.

Interesting. We never did any gender splitting for camping in all my years growing up -- except when there were naturally balanced groups. I wonder if other parents were scandalized when they learned. Honestly, once a family knows how to accommodate un/dressing for brothers and sisters, I can't imagine what kind of issues could arise.

What I mean is that I'd be far more upset about a daughter if mine being excluded, segregated and subject to colder more uncomfortable conditions based on her gender. That's something that would bug me. Having one big tent for the whole group of campers? Not even a blip on my radar.

I'm sorry - I disagree. There are normal age appropriate crushes happening within the group right now. Dressing and undressing is only one factor. There is no way a school would allow a girl to share a tent with a boy, on school property and under their supervision, regardless of what I prefer... but I'm with the school on this one. Yes, I would have been very upset had I found out my child was allowed to sleep in a mixed gender tent, with no adults in the same tent, without my okay (or nay, in this case)...

She doesn't feel excluded in the least. She is also allowed to go into the house/school should she get too cold, and sleep in there.

We do not allow boy/girl sleepovers, past the age of 6 or so, in the same bedroom - same rules apply for a tent, lol.

:)