Menu

What Are Your Kids Dressing up As This Year?

mathmarm

If you dress up for or around Halloween, what are you kids dressing up or going out as?

Since my niece will be with us this year, I'll be going trick or treating for the first time, too.

I have promised her we'll get her a costume within reason

Plus, what are some cute ideas for babies first Halloween costume --to be adored primarily at home and appreciated by tech/sci/math-loving geek parents?

DD is going to be the 11th Doctor if they were a lady

DH is going to be Stupid Death from Horrible Histories

I'm going to be Dorothy Gale with silver shoes

We are trying to adopt so I've had an emergency infant costume in mind if we get that call.  Baby would be Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter if they arrive in time (unlikely now).  I was going to do khaki shirt and shorts, baby boots, an outback hat and then throw a few stuffed alligators and snakes in the stroller.  I've been wanting to do that since DD was little but I've always been overruled with something princess-y or her current passion which is everything British. 

DD - Anne of Green Gables with an extravagant custom-made costume from Etsy

DS - Fox costume purchased at the Carters store

Last year, DD was Pippi Longstocking and it was a big hit (even in our local newspaper!). I just bought a denim jumper at the Salvation Army Store and sewed on a couple of red patches. Added a red turtleneck and mis-matched knee socks. Braided her hair and added a couple of those long balloon sticks to make them stand out straight. Eyeliner freckles. Seriously cheap, easy, and cute! 

Ds12, Hawaiian Santa

He comes up with some interesting ideas. One year he was a barrel of toxic waste. He got the idea from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon and convinced his brothers to go as Calvin and Hobbes.

Ds10, ninja. Easy!

Ds8, knight. I'm making a costume for his theater production, so I'll have to squeeze in some time to make a knight tunic and a ninja hood.....eek.

Cat

The baby will be going as a monkey - costume purchased for $3 at Goodwill.

The toddler has announced he wants to be a ha-puh-puh (aka octopus).

The preschooler has drawn countless pictures of his green and yellow super hero costume; he wants a clock on his chest and his super name will be Timer Rhymer.

When I was 3 I went as a bunny - pink footie pajamas, pink knit hat and two pink "balloon animal" balloons tacked onto the hat with a few stitches.  That would be pretty easy.

Wendy

I have insisted that Indy have a homemade costume this year, this challenge his creativity.  He's changed his mind several times, but he's now settled on Ra, the Egyptian Sun God.  How we're going to do the head dress, I'm still working on.  You'd think with a degree in theatrical costume design (double major with English-both dead useful!), it would come easily, but I'm having costumers block.  I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

DS5 wants to be a firefighter. DS4 picked a postal worker. Baby will be in the sling, but since he's named after a Star Wars character, we'll throw some Yoda ears on his head and call it good.

DH and I are going to be Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler. It's frightening how well I think we can pull it off.

I have insisted that Indy have a homemade costume this year, this challenge his creativity. He's changed his mind several times, but he's now settled on Ra, the Egyptian Sun God. How we're going to do the head dress, I'm still working on. You'd think with a degree in theatrical costume design (double major with English-both dead useful!), it would come easily, but I'm having costumers block. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

DD used foam board and duct tape to make her headdress/cobra hood. I will say that it helps that we can put her hair in a bun to anchor it, which probably won't work for Indy!

DD9 is a movie star bumble bee (she dresses up the bumble costume w/sunglasses and a large feather boa !)

DD11 is an angel.

my girls for their first Halloweens: one was a pumpkin in one of those simple onesie costumes from Walmart.

one was a clown.  I sewed little rosettes onto her onesie and I sewed rosettes and and a big floppy collar and arm bands onto a similar outfit for the 2 yr old that year and did her make up.  Super cute and easy.

DD8 is going as the dish that ran away with the spoon. I picked up some cardboard cake rounds at Hobby Lobby the other day. My mom has a giant metal spoon for her to carry. She wanted to be a full place setting (Nana has a fork, too), but then we figured it would be too hard to carry her candy bucket.

DS2 (almost 3!) is going as a boy in a kissing booth. I figured I'd better jump at my chance to do something cute while he still has no real opinon about his costume. Can't wait to slather on some cheap red lipstick and smooch him up! :001_tt1: